What kind of speeds are you getting on your blackberry. Since it is stuck on 3G, I don't want to just replace my 9700 with 9930 if it won't work any faster. I have been having issues trying to listen to online radio or pandora with my 9700 in NYC on ATT, so I decided move over to Verizon. I got an Android phone to try for 14 days and see what all the fuss is about, so I will drop it before I get sucked in and the only BB they offer is 9930 that is worth getting.

If anyone moved from an earlier 3G device to 9930 3G, does the faster processor and better OS translate into speedier connection & uninterrupted streaming?

If you think it is really not worth it, and 64kbps stream will still struggle and 128kbps will not even work properly (hit or miss) then I will stay where I am. PS: Android is extremely cool, Galaxy Nexus is a sweet device, but as soon as I try to do my e-mail intensive daily work, it feels like my life is put on slow motion, it takes so many taps and clicks and switches back and forth to do a simple job that BB takes two clicks to achieve. I love my Blackberry!
    02-22-12 02:08 PM
    What kind of speeds are you getting on your blackberry. Since it is stuck on 3G, I don't want to just replace my 9700 with 9930 if it won't work any faster. I have been having issues trying to listen to online radio or pandora with my 9700 in NYC on ATT, so I decided move over to Verizon. I got an Android phone to try for 14 days and see what all the fuss is about, so I will drop it before I get sucked in and the only BB they offer is 9930 that is worth getting.

If anyone moved from an earlier 3G device to 9930 3G, does the faster processor and better OS translate into speedier connection & uninterrupted streaming?

If you think it is really not worth it, and 64kbps stream will still struggle and 128kbps will not even work properly (hit or miss) then I will stay where I am. PS: Android is extremely cool, Galaxy Nexus is a sweet device, but as soon as I try to do my e-mail intensive daily work, it feels like my life is put on slow motion, it takes so many taps and clicks and switches back and forth to do a simple job that BB takes two clicks to achieve. I love my Blackberry!
    I'm not sure how... I always use SpeedTest.net but I don't think there is an app for it, plus I can't access it in the browser (flash)
    02-22-12 02:15 PM

I had no problems with pandora. Smooth with no pauses.

With verizon I am getting 1mbps.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-22-12 02:15 PM
    How is it overall, 1mpbs is more than I would need on daily basis (sure LTE is crazy at 30mbps, just did a speed test now) but what's more important is how the hardware utilizes that speed and connectivity. I know speedtest are really unreliable on Blackberry, that's why I was recommending someone do it on a tethered connection, BIS/BES will compress everything and result in wrong reading. I have seen that happen.
    Also with my wife's old 2G 8900 when we tether it we were getting very fast internet speeds on our laptops, but the issue is when we try to download the same picture or small mp3 on her blackberry, or even google maps, it would get stuck and load and load and load, so it is really obvious that blackberry OS coupled with slow hardware and possibly connection/security with Blackberry systems choke it and snarl the seeds..

Just trying to see if it is the same with 9930.. I mean on my 9700 even google maps slow down every time I open it, and I have to wait and wait and wait for the hourglass to disappear.
    02-22-12 02:27 PM
    Yes you will be fine. I have a much better experience with my 9330 over my 9550.
    02-22-12 02:38 PM
    It's been a while since I had my Bold 9650 and Tour before that, but my 9930 seems much faster for streaming than either of the older ones ever did. I'd say go for it.
    02-22-12 02:52 PM
    Is any of you on Verizon with Blackberry Enterprise Service? I don't see it being offered anymore on personal plans.
    02-22-12 03:41 PM
    Yes, I'm on a BES for work.
    02-22-12 04:52 PM
    i had a 9700 with att no problems with signal except in my apt bldg is old.i switched to verizon with 9930.i love it .my signal is equivalent to what i had on att .same problem with signal at my apt.everything with this phone seems faster .i like the os ,browser is faster .i use opera alot though.i also use wifi where able.i have streamed pandora with no issues.
    02-22-12 05:05 PM
    nuangel, i have the same issue, when I go to my house, i get dead signal, nothing maybe 1 bar, but I take few steps I get some signal with AT&T.. I got microcell.. didn't help much even made it worse in some cases. I think it's all the brick we got here in NYC, the buildings all around us. Our area is like a dead zone for AT&T.. I am trying VZ now and it seems similar to AT&T but not as bad, surely quality drops in my house but I still have speedy connection. I just wanted to check what users experienced with 9930.

Is there a reason why you switched to VZ with 9930 instead of ATT with 9900 4G?
    Especially after finding out it is similar, you could have gone back to AT&T?
    02-22-12 05:13 PM
    The best test I did for speed was I downloaded what was at the time the current OS from VZW for the 9930, on my 9930. Since it is a compressed executable of well over 200 meg, RIM's servers wrent going to be able to compress it much at all. The throughput I got out of it was roughly 218KB/sec, which roughly comes out to 1.7mbps. This is about the best "real world" test/measurement you'll probably get.
    02-22-12 05:31 PM
    had 9650 bold before my 9930 and never had a problem with streaming. the 9930 definitely makes browsing quicker, but to be honest, if you are in an area where you aren't getting great service, or never got great service, the 9930 isnt going to be a miracle worker... it definitely will buffer faster/better.
    02-22-12 06:23 PM
    Speeds on VZW are good for me. Faster than my 9650 (probably due to processor speed). I haven't really compared it to anything else, and it is obviously not going to be as fast as a 4G device... but it is quick enough for me for the time being!
    02-22-12 06:25 PM
    Thanks, in response to last three posts, especially SaMaster14, I am mainly focusing on the difference that's brought in picture by the new processor. I have no doubt that the coverage should be OK, but as I said the speed of operation is generally affected by the phone's internals. If many 9930 users can report that under optimal conditions (where coverage is enough) that they do not experience the dropouts or longer buffers, than that means the device can handle it. The coverage & speed of 3G, well that's at the mercy of the carrier and your luck depending on location. When you have 5 bars and 3G, but it takes 10-20 seconds for google maps to redraw.. you know that there is something going on, maybe cache buffer is full and it takes time to remove & rewrite it, and while it is a simple operation, if you are somehow getting few e-mails the processor cannot handle all at the same time, than you cannot blame the network.. But I've had it with AT&T, so I will go and try VZ.
    02-22-12 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD