The Trackpad on my Sprint 9930 is not working when Im outside. In the office or home its fine, but as soon as I walk outside the Trackpad starts sticking, it seems to be worse in direct sunlight. Sometimes if I completely cover the Trackpad with my thumb I can get it to work. The moment I go back inside it works flawlessly.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    08-24-11 09:27 AM
    its your phones way of telling you it doesnt want to go oustside
    08-24-11 09:35 AM
    Good thing the touch screen still works!
    08-24-11 12:56 PM
    Lol. You don't own a motorbike and wear heavy leather gloves, by any chance?
    08-24-11 01:21 PM
    Maybe it wants nap time?
    08-24-11 01:32 PM
    Sounds like you have one of the rare "vampire" track pads. I would swath it in garlic and call a priest.
    08-24-11 02:48 PM
    It happens on the 9700 too.....the sun dont like trackpads .
    08-24-11 02:52 PM
    Happened to me once on the crappy Curve 3G. The problem is that the trackapd was a bit buldged out, making it very sensitive to humidity. The only way it would work is if I put my tshirt or any cloth over it.

Take your BB back and have it replaced immediately this is not normal.

I can use my BB just fine outside, if you had the opportunity to choose the BB, make sure to get one with the flatest / most flushed trackpad possible not buldged out like a curved one
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-24-11 at 03:18 PM.
    08-24-11 03:06 PM
    Everyone above me is trolling. haha.

Except Tech Fanboy

Just get it replaced.
    08-24-11 03:15 PM
    My 9700 trackpad doesn't work well in direct sunlight. I turn my back to the sun and shade my BB with my body, or tip it up towards me so the sun is hitting the back of the BB, not the front. Sometimes I can cover the entire pad with the flat of my thumb and it'll work fine.

I doubt this is going to change if you get it replaced. It's an optical trackpad. Look closely and you can see it has a deep reddish-purple tint to allow light to travel through to the sensor. It will be sensitive to bright direct light.
    08-24-11 03:22 PM
    My 9700 trackpad doesn't work well in direct sunlight. I turn my back to the sun and shade my BB with my body, or tip it up towards me so the sun is hitting the back of the BB, not the front. Sometimes I can cover the entire pad with the flat of my thumb and it'll work fine.

I doubt this is going to change if you get it replaced. It's an optical trackpad. Look closely and you can see it has a deep reddish-purple tint to allow light to travel through to the sensor. It will be sensitive to bright direct light.
    Your trackpad is not normal, simple as that.

I was able to use my trackpad under direct sunlight with my fingers slightly damped just fine.

Some of them are just not manufactured perfectly making them very sensitive to humidity to an unaccepted level
    08-24-11 03:26 PM
    Yes it is defective, the optical trackpad operates in the infra Red spectrum and visible sunlight should not effect it at all.

Inside the Trackpad: a BlackBerry Science Lesson Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

CS
    08-24-11 03:31 PM
    Mine is not a humidity issue. I live in Florida. It's always humid here, and my trackpad works fine even when it's raining and I'm standing outside on my front porch. Not sure what humidity has to do with an optical sensor being sensitive to direct sunlight...

Everyone I know with a 97xx device has mentioned it's susceptibility to bright direct sunlight. Later hardware revisions may have darkened the tint a bit to help reduce the occurrence, but it's not abnormal.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nlight-247990/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nlight-435114/
    Blackberry Bold 9700 trackpad

This issue is likely not worth sifting through stacks of replacement devices until you get the one with the "flattest trackpad."
    08-24-11 03:42 PM
    Yes it is defective, the optical trackpad operates in the infra Red spectrum and visible sunlight should not effect it at all.

Inside the Trackpad: a BlackBerry Science Lesson Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

CS

No, it's not defective.

Umm, you realize that sunlight INCLUDES infrared (the part that causes warmth) in its spectrum? It may not be part of the visible spectrum, but trust me: if you can see the sun, you can likely feel its heat, and you are being exposed to its infrared radiation.

Infrared Waves
    Sunlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Infrared - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Direct sunlight has a luminous efficacy of about 93 lumens per watt of radiant flux, which includes infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light.
    08-24-11 03:57 PM
    What you are seeing is very well normal operation with the device. The sun light directly causes the sensor to not act properly. Exchanging the device will only cause you to replicate it again and again.

Go a head and try and exchange it and see what the result is. It will still operate the same as the track pad is the same as the next one.

I have not had any issue with using my 9650 back in the day nor my 9930 now. Maybe because I am never in direct sunlight so to speak but normal sunny days have not effected it at all.

Putting a case, etc will not help in anyway.

Kevin first reviewed the 9700 device he too mentioned the track pad acting odd in "direct" sunlight.
    08-24-11 04:19 PM
    What you are seeing is very well normal operation with the device. The sun light directly causes the sensor to not act properly. Exchanging the device will only cause you to replicate it again and again.

Go a head and try and exchange it and see what the result is. It will still operate the same as the track pad is the same as the next one.

I have not had any issue with using my 9650 back in the day nor my 9930 now. Maybe because I am never in direct sunlight so to speak but normal sunny days have not effected it at all.

Putting a case, etc will not help in anyway.

Kevin first reviewed the 9700 device he too mentioned the track pad acting odd in "direct" sunlight.
    I agree with this however my trackpad acted weird at night or low light environments but worked fine during the day. However i returned the device and got it exchanged and I don't experience the weird trackpad issues anymore, so try exchanging your device
    08-24-11 06:28 PM
    I’m the OP, thanks for the responses which fall into three basic categories:

A) Jokes
    B) It’s defective, replace it
    C) It’s normal, don’t replace it

I’m going to replace it and hope I don’t have a problem with the new one.

I’m surprised by the folks who say this is normal. It is incredibly frustrating trying to use the device while I’m outside, especially in direct sunlight. It’s hard to believe everyone with a new BB is dealing with the same thing and not complaining about it.
    08-25-11 07:37 AM
    I can only say that I don't have any problems with my trackpad unless I'm in direct, extremely bright sunlight, and putting a shadow across the trackpad solves it. If you are having issues in everyday conditions anytime you are outside, then I will acknowledge you may have an overly-sensitive trackpad. Just wanted you to be aware that, depending on the severity, this is not an abnormal situation for an optical sensor operating on the infrared spectrum.

If this is severely hampering your ability to use the device anytime you step outside, by all means get it replaced while you are still under warranty. Just be aware that there are situations where this effect is normal and replacing the device will not completely get rid of it. As with all things, your mileage may vary. It may be that the tint on your trackpad is somehow flawed, maybe lighter than spec, allowing too much light to enter on the periphery. Hope you get it worked out! Let us know, please, so other people who may have the same complaint can benefit from your experience.
    08-25-11 07:50 AM
    my 9900 trackpad works then it doesn't. Goin to take it back tomorrow
    08-25-11 12:39 PM
    Rrrebo and Yester are both bang on.

In layman's terms, the trackpad works by shning up an infrared light. When your thumb is on the TP and moving, the light is bounced back where covered by your thumb. The sensor tracks any movement of that covered area.

When you are in direct, very bright sunlight and using the trackpad, your thumb bounces back the original light but the sunlight floods the rest of the TP so that the sensor doesn't see the movement.

Like rrrebo said, this easily remedied by tilting the BB slightly, turning around, using your other to shade the TP, etc.

If you are having the issue even when in indirect sunlight, then it might be an actual flaw and warrant replacing the device.
    But play around with it first to check if that's really necessary.
    rrrebo likes this.
    08-25-11 02:21 PM
    my 9900 trackpad works then it doesn't. Goin to take it back tomorrow
    Are you talking about it not working due to sunlight, which is the OP's issue?
    Just saying "it doesn't [work]" doesn't really let others know if it's random or not.
    08-25-11 02:46 PM
    I spoke with a store rep from Sprint (who also has the 9930) about this issue. He confirmed that the trackpad on his 9930 also performs poorly in the sun. He said he received an email from Sprint saying it is a “characteristic” of the phone and nothing can be done to change the behavior.
    09-14-11 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD