How is the 9930 screen in direct sunlight? Does the brightness have to be turned to 100% to view it easily?

I take my phone with me when I hike, geocache and kayak. I take pics and check out trails on Google Maps. My Thunderbolt has a nice screen but it's difficult to see in bright sunlight especially when I have it fingerprinted up. I have to turn the brightness to 100%, and even then, if I'm near water it's hard to see.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-04-11 at 01:07 PM.
    10-04-11 01:05 PM
    If you use the function to auto dim the screen, then you don't need to set anything. The screen will brighten up in the sun and dim the screen in the dark.
    10-04-11 02:12 PM
    Thanks. I know how to adjust the brightness and set auto brightness.

My question was: is the 9930 easily visible in bright sunlight? Or is it hard to see?
    10-04-11 03:24 PM
    I have the 9900 and it is extremely visible. I use my screen at 70, and even then, the screen is really bright and clear.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-04-11 03:43 PM
    California seems sunny too, so I'll take your word for it! Thanks!
    10-04-11 03:59 PM
    I have no problems with mine. I'm at 10% with auto dim on. Much better than my iP4 and Incredible. I can read in direct sunlight without a problem.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-04-11 04:59 PM
    i use my screen at 30% and never have a problem.
    10-05-11 09:23 AM
    I live in Arizona where it's brutally sunny 95% of the year. So far the screen works great. Unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-11 10:52 AM
    I live in Arizona where it's brutally sunny 95% of the year. So far the screen works great. Unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses.
    Haha. That's so true. Polarized glasses make the screen almost unreadable. Other than that, BlackBerry screens have always been great in sunlight. From what I hear of AMOLED screens like what Android phones have, they don't perform well in the sun. There is a scientific reason behind this, and that is because Android users are typically geeks that stay indoors anyways.

Nagh, I'm just kidding.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 11:24 AM
    Well, that's good to know! Because I use an Android and I'm not a geek! I'm always outside!

I use the compass on my Android for geocaching but it is hard to read when there's no shade available.
    10-05-11 12:46 PM
    Well, that's good to know! Because I use an Android and I'm not a geek! I'm always outside!

I use the compass on my Android for geocaching but it is hard to read when there's no shade available.
    You're not helping you case any.
    It is a well known fact that geeks only venture outside for geocaching.
    10-05-11 01:18 PM
    Whoops, I think you're right!
    10-05-11 01:34 PM
    i'll also vouch for the screen. I've got a 9900 and took it with me in london. I also have an android as a second phone. In direct sunlight, you couldn't see a thing on the android screen (yes it was extremely sunny in london!). I was so sad not to use my android camera when going to the london eye because you just couldn't see anything! I switched to using my blackberry camera instead, and in direct sunlight, it was crystal clear! I couldn't believe it! my friends are now also considering the 9900 since it held up so well in the sunlight!

you won't have a problem!
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-07-11 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD