Using a 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    Coming from a 9650, and before that a Tour, and before that a Storm, Curve, Pearl, onwards and etc this is arguably the best blackberry I have ever used. Honestly, I say that every time I get a new blackberry, as I should be. That's props to RIM in all respects. I've seen quite a few reviews and threads putting down the negatives of this phone, some stemming from faulty units (or faulty users) and the majority of the rest originating within the iphone/android/touch screen "fan boys", if you will. Hey, we're all biased towards what we like, and most of us feel the need to bash the competition, even if we legitimately wanted to visit the "other side". I'm not a touch screen person, never have been. I thrive on the blackberry keyboard and have been conditioned this way since my first blackberry. Hands down, this is the best keyboard on a phone ever produced. Anyone who disagrees is simply out of the loop or doesn't have thumbs. Its simply amazing, and there's no need for me to even justify why.
    The speed has almost doubled coming from my 9650, and after using the 9930 for a couple days I picked up my 9650 and it looked and felt like a Pearl. That should say something for the size of this keyboard and screen compared to other non-touch devices. The design of the phone is perfect, it screams quality in a sophisticated manner, and let's you know right away it means business.
    The touch screen adds a much welcomed element to the phone, especially the browsing experience. Scrolling while browsing with a finger and still having the physical keyboard available makes the somewhat underdeveloped blackberry browser into an experience that can compete with iphones and the like. I don't find myself nearly as often opting for my ipod when doing some serious browsing, as the 9930 meets my needs for speed and ease of use.
    It's the little things and minor improvements that make this phone worth getting. Anyone who is a blackberry user will definitely agree that the 9930 is the best it can get right now.

The keyboard: BEST keyboard ever.
    The screen: Perfect size, more real estate than my 9650. Still getting used to touch screen on a Bold, but finding myself learning how to incorporate it to my advantage. Doesn't collect a lot of fingerprints like my 9650 did, I find myself wiping the screen clean less often.
    The battery- So far about the same as my previous BlackBerry. Not an issue I've noticed, gets me through a full day.
    The OS/Software- Coming from OS 4,5 and 6, OS 7 is familiar territory, and that's not a negative thing.
    Camera- not having autofocus hasn't bothered me in the least. Phone takes great pictures. I want my phone to be a good PHONE, if I wanted an awesome camera I'd buy an awesome camera.
    Overall no complaints here, and until the next round of BlackBerry come out, I'll be here using the 9930.
    By the way, I wrote this review just to use the keyboard. :-)
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gloommerchant; 08-19-11 at 07:11 PM.
    sam_b77, danimalchil and kwalia71 like this.
    08-19-11 07:08 PM
    While people are finding reasons to complain (camera), but would we assume that this 9930 is the best BB ever?

I mean, what are the chances that one of the old blackberries are better than the very newest flagship?
    08-19-11 07:13 PM
    Yes the king of all the BlackBerrys-- if you will.

08-19-11 07:15 PM
    "Arguably the best BlackBerry ever". So yes, to each his own.
    08-19-11 07:16 PM
    I think it is without a doubt the best BB ever. While its not without its faults (no phone is), I've used every blackberry on bothe networks (AT&T and Verizon) for the past 6 years. The original Bold 9000 was always my favorite (tour 9650 my most hated) and the 9930 combines the best things of all of them and makes them better.

I do think that some of the gripes are legit though. Its 2011 and a lot of smartphones take amazing pictures. For the 9900 series to be missing autofocus is pretty lame on RIM's part. The argument of "if I wanted a good camera I'd take my (insert Digital camera name here)" is weak. The point of having a good camera on a phone is so you don't have to take a digital camera with you and still get great shots.

The web browser is also still weak, but its better than the trash RIM has brought to the table before. And finally the battery life could be better, but I always buy the extended batteries anyway so its juat a waiting game now until they are released.

With that being said, I have been very critical of RIM over the last few years but this is a major step in the right direction, and is a phone that I will use confidently at work (but I'll still use my iPhone 4 for personal use).

08-19-11 07:26 PM
    I think it is the best Blackberry ...when one compares specs and read negative reviews it's hard to say so. But once you pick it up, use it, and spend some time with it, I think many will come to the conclusion it's the best Blackberry..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-19-11 07:33 PM
    I agree best one to date! The device is too new and all of the bugs aren't out yet so bring on the negative issues some if not all could be true!

08-19-11 07:40 PM
    Been a BB user since the 8700 and I must say that this is THE BEST one I've had.
    08-19-11 07:59 PM
    This phone was wrought by the fingertips of God.
    allhailcale likes this.
    08-19-11 08:06 PM
    Best? Yep. But RIM can't leave no-brainers like autofocus off the camera. This seems like a trivial point for the ultimate biz phone, but it's details like these that kill the deal in the larger market, i.e. the iPhone user who might switch to BB for the keyboard, but not if there's a major concession to make (lousy camera) over the iPhone -- significant market share left at the roadside.

When you leave significant market share at the roadside with your flagship products, third-party developers are less interested in getting on your phone, and the deal-killing downsides snowball.

I'm all in with the 9930 because I use it to type, often one-handed, and no other manufacturer's form factor comes close. But in the big picture there are deal killers all over this phone (and brand) when you consider iPhones/Droids do Netflix and remote check deposits and our devices probably never will. Ages to get updates on apps like Kindle readers, etc. when the iDroids have them at launch.

To me the "Best Blackberry Ever" should shoot for the "Best Smart Phone Ever" or we're just whistling past the grave.
    08-20-11 08:14 AM
    I just got mine yesterday and haven't put it down. This is by far the best phone I have ever had. If you want to make phone calls, get email, surf the internet and text, my opinion is there is nothing better (especially if you need a real keyboard. The screen is large enough now and the fit/finish is incredible. I highly recommend it!! If you have to have all of the ridiculous apps, then get an iphone or android. If you want to do all of the things that you need every day, you can't beat this device!! Three thumbs up!! I just wish I had this phone a year ago..better late then never!!

08-20-11 08:28 AM
    I don't have a ton of BB experience (had a Tour before this, and it was my first BB ever), but I am loving the 9930 so far...the keyboard is amazing, and that's why I've stuck with BB. I considered switching to Droid earlier this year, because it looked as if Verizon was never going to get any decent new BBs...I played with a few, but I can't deal with not having a physical keyboard, and the Droid phones that come with one just seem to suck. And ok, so OS 7 isn't that that different from 6 (my husband has a Bold 9650, so I've played with 6 on his) and 5 (my Tour), but so what? I like using something comfortable and familiar. For my money, I'd say it's the best ever.
    08-20-11 08:53 AM
    BEST Blackberry EVER. THIS Is the blackberry RIM should have released instead of the 9630 (tour) back in 2009...

Nonetheless, here it is! and I am LOVING mine

HIGHLY recommended
    08-20-11 12:33 PM
    I just got mine yesterday and haven't put it down. This is by far the best phone I have ever had. If you want to make phone calls, get email, surf the internet and text, my opinion is there is nothing better (especially if you need a real keyboard. The screen is large enough now and the fit/finish is incredible. I highly recommend it!! If you have to have all of the ridiculous apps, then get an iphone or android. If you want to do all of the things that you need every day, you can't beat this device!! Three thumbs up!! I just wish I had this phone a year ago..better late then never!!

The LACK of "ridiculous apps" is what's hurting RIM and why most are jumping ship.

08-20-11 12:41 PM
    The LACK of "ridiculous apps" is what's hurting RIM and why most are jumping ship.

Yes, like it or not; apps are king for most people.

It's why I also carry an Android device.

But for messaging, productivity, and social; the 9900 is HANDS DOWN the best blackberry ever and I'd argue it won't be superseded (QNX included) until the next QWERTY Bold is released. This form factor rocks!
    08-20-11 12:48 PM
    Actually the GSM 9900 is better than the CDMA 9930 (HSPA+ > EVDO Rev.A and T-Mobile's UMA calling is a feature I can only wish Verizon offered) but for a Verizon or Sprint user the 9930 is easily the best BB ever offered.

08-20-11 01:49 PM
    Yes, like it or not; apps are king for most people.

It's why I also carry an Android device.

But for messaging, productivity, and social; the 9900 is HANDS DOWN the best blackberry ever and I'd argue it won't be superseded (QNX included) until the next QWERTY Bold is released. This form factor rocks!
    The 9900 is without a doubt the best bb ever , although I only had a 10 min test drive with it, I can say the device is awesome. Now if only rim could get appworld on par with its competitors....

08-20-11 02:44 PM
    Does any one have any time frame for Cellular South to have the Blackberry 9930 phone.
    I am presently using the BB 9650 on Verizon, but as I live about 4 miles from the closest Verizon Tower, my cell service is non existent at times. So far, Verizon has not been any help with this problem.
    Cellular South has excellent service, with two towers within 1 mile of my house, so I am trying to out wait Cellular South, until they can offer the BB9930.
    Any one have any thoughts?
    08-21-11 12:15 PM
    Does any one have any time frame for Cellular South to have the Blackberry 9930 phone.
    I am presently using the BB 9650 on Verizon, but as I live about 4 miles from the closest Verizon Tower, my cell service is non existent at times. So far, Verizon has not been any help with this problem.
    Cellular South has excellent service, with two towers within 1 mile of my house, so I am trying to out wait Cellular South, until they can offer the BB9930.
    Any one have any thoughts?
    A whole house cell amplifier system works really well. i have one installed in my house and it works well.
    wilson makes the amps
    08-21-11 01:54 PM
    I agree best BB ever hands down. i remember going from 8830 to 9650 but going from 9650 to 9930 is even more dramatic. totally awesome device
    08-21-11 01:56 PM
    I can't imagine a better device for the purposes of pure communication that you can carry in your pocket.
    08-21-11 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD