Dear all,

I'm using the 9930 on a GSM network in Vietnam (Viettel). I've discovered that I have no problems with BIS when I'm on WIFI. However, when I switch of wifi, my BIS connection also drops regularly also.

Now I have been told by several phone shops in Vietnam that it is known that CDMA-based phones tend to have BIS connection problems on a GSM network or at least have more difficulty connecting with it than pure GSM based phones.

my question: is this true and/or does anyone share my experience (or the opposite?)

I'd like to ask for your advice first, before I decide to sell my 9930 and exchange it for a 9900.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nghia
    08-29-11 01:25 AM
    exact same problem
    Bump
    01-15-12 01:27 PM
    Not sure about 9930, but 8830 has this problem too.
    Once tried fully unlocked vzw 8830 on Vodafone BIS and it kept switching between edge & EDGE
    01-15-12 01:36 PM
    does anyone give advice about this? I wonder if we can adjust somethings on our device to improve BIS coverage (config system, service books..) or it has to be fixed by network provider.
    I've got the same problem but it's very stable if i connect BIS via wifi.
    02-19-12 03:57 AM
    what problem exactly are we talking about?

can you describe the "bis connection problem" you are saying?
    02-19-12 06:40 AM
    My phone (bold 9650) is mainly CDMA but has GSM functionality and I've never had any connectivity issues whenever I've used it either with Central American or European BIS carriers.

Try updating the OS to the latest version to see if that works.
    02-19-12 08:13 AM
    Dear all,

I'm using the 9930 on a GSM network in Vietnam (Viettel). I've discovered that I have no problems with BIS when I'm on WIFI. However, when I switch of wifi, my BIS connection also drops regularly also.

Now I have been told by several phone shops in Vietnam that it is known that CDMA-based phones tend to have BIS connection problems on a GSM network or at least have more difficulty connecting with it than pure GSM based phones.

my question: is this true and/or does anyone share my experience (or the opposite?)

I'd like to ask for your advice first, before I decide to sell my 9930 and exchange it for a 9900.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nghia
    Based on experience this is 100% true. I had a 9950 (CDMA storm2) and it would lose connectivity once i hold in my hand if i were indoors. I got frustrated so i bought a 9800 (GSM torch) and while both fones were on the same network, placed in the same location, i had full bars on the torch and no bars (sos) on the storm. I recently bought the 9930 and im experiencing the same problem. It kinda makes me wish I bought a 9900 since im using GSM more than CDMA.
    02-19-12 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD