I've had my 9930 for around 3 or 4 months. I was using and getting quite tired of a 9800, then I switched to the 9930. It was such a breath of fresh air. Since then a few problems have developed.

- I have a 2 minute password time out set. When the phone is locked and I hit a button to wake it, & bring up the unlock screen 40% of the time nothing happens. I will have to wait until the phone decides it wants to wake up. Usually about 45 seconds. This is annoying when you need to do anything in a hurry (remember BlackBerry people "Do"), and also extremely embarrassing when trying to get someone's number for the 1st time. It seems to be worse when I am listening to music, which I do when working as a door guy on the weekends.
    - After I pause a song, and resume playing the volume has increased. This sucks when I am already listening to the music at barely tolerable levels, then I'm blasted with whatever is playing.
    - My browser crashes. Quite often. It mainly happens when I am browsing Gawker or Jezebel. If I open more than 2 tabs from those sites, or when I click to read comment threads. I can guarantee a crash.
    - Browser won't let me log in to tumblr. This one is pretty huge because there is no longer a tumblr app for 7.1
    - Memory. I get the dreaded clock a lot, and a few times a week my phone tells me I am out of memory and need to delete an app. I have deleted every extra game, and most non essential apps. I don't get it. Here's what my phone says currently:
    File Free: 0 Bytes (how is this possible!?) *Just rebooted and now it says 101742085 Bytes in File Free
    File Total: 360448000 Bytes
    My Storage section in options says:
    Application Storage, Free Space: 0.0KB (I don't understand how this is possible at all) *96.8MB free after reboot*
    Built-in Media Storage, Total Space 6.2GB Free Space 6.2 GB and I have 2.6GB free on the media card

I really BlackBerry's, but these little annoyances are adding up, I've got the itch for a new gadget, an upgrade available on T-Mo, & waiting for the Z10 is KILLING me. I've checked for software updates using DM, but it says I'm current I'm running 7.1.0.342 (1149).
    Any advice is appreciated. I guess I'm also kind of venting so thanks for reading.
    02-26-13 06:53 PM
    Sounds like you're overloading the phone.

Remember its a blackberry and not a droid. It is not a app centered device. And while it has a powerful processor, it only has 5GB internal storage for apps, processor and phone storage. Some apps you can store on your SD card through the app manager, but not all.

Downside to the 5GB is it also uses this memory to run the OS. Meaning if 99% is taken up by apps, that only leaves 1% left for ram and OS properties.

IF you absolutely NEED all the apps you can try going into desktop manager after connecting your BB to your computer and deleting all of the extra languages. that should free up like 10mb maybe? Get rid of password keeper if you dont use it, mobile conference ect, things that are just never used.

Also download BB resource manager. This will annoyingly pop up and tell you what apps are draining your battery and memory, which should give you a clear idea of what needs to get the axe :-)

Hope this helps.
    IAmAmirHasan likes this.
    02-26-13 07:00 PM
    I feel like my 9800 had way more apps and I didn't have any of these issues (it also had an AF camera, but I'll save that gripe for another thread). How do I find out where my apps are stored. I'd like them all on the media card since it has so much space. I'm in My World in BlackBerry World and it says 95MB of 512MB free. I'm guessing that is storage on the device, not the memory card. Anyway to move them all to the media card. I am currently poking around and installing the updates BlackBerry World had waiting for me, but can't seem to find it.

Edit- I've already removed all unused languages and extra system apps I don't use, thanks for the advice and reply!
    02-26-13 07:20 PM
    I feel like my 9800 had way more apps and I didn't have any of these issues (it also had an AF camera, but I'll save that gripe for another thread). How do I find out where my apps are stored. I'd like them all on the media card since it has so much space. I'm in My World in BlackBerry World and it says 95MB of 512MB free. I'm guessing that is storage on the device, not the memory card. Anyway to move them all to the media card. I am currently poking around and installing the updates BlackBerry World had waiting for me, but can't seem to find it.

Edit- I've already removed all unused languages and extra system apps I don't use, thanks for the advice and reply!
    Options>Device>Application Management.

That is where you will find all your apps.

There are VERY few apps that you can store on the media card, and sadly once you do this you cant run them from the media card. Ergo, once they are there, its only a storage hold, and you cant use them :/

The 9800 didnt use the same OS, didnt have the touch screen and wasnt as demanding as the 99xx series is, it ran on the same OS that the 9700 bold did. So it took much less ram to throw things around.

Best bet, consolidate your apps, ones you really need keep, and ones that are fun to have but you dont use much, throw away :-)

I have about 197-220MB of free storage on mine and it runs like a clock.

Which leads me to believe that one app in particular could be draining a lot of your memory, thats where the Application resource monitor comes in. *the settings for it , if installed are found right under the app manager* When thats turned on it looks at the usage of all apps and software on the phone and lets you know whats draining what, even what time of day its draining it at :-)
    IAmAmirHasan likes this.
    02-26-13 07:31 PM
    I don't believe you can store the apps on the memory card, they have to reside on the 512MB.
    IAmAmirHasan likes this.
    02-26-13 07:35 PM
    I don't believe you can store the apps on the memory card, they have to reside on the 512MB.
    you can store, but not run from there, they need blackberry security parameters to run, which is what makes the device so secure, its a good thing that sucks at the same time.
    IAmAmirHasan likes this.
    02-26-13 07:39 PM
    you are correct. rim frowns on storing apps on a memory card for security issues. if i could store them on my card id have a boat load more apps on my phone.
    IAmAmirHasan likes this.
    02-26-13 08:34 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll clean it out. There are a few apps I don't really need, esp since I'll be getting a new phone soon. Molomoe, and NOVA can go, maybe Hootsuite too since I have Social Feeds, and Twitter for BlackBerry.
    02-27-13 07:26 PM
    I downloaded Application Resource Monitor from Beta Zone a couple of days ago. It keeps shutting BeBuzz down, so I think that might be the culprit. Sucks, because I REALLY like that app. Also sucks b/c I'm not getting LED notifications at all now.
    03-08-13 12:05 PM