Sorry if this is a stupid question--I searched and couldn't find the answer.

On my old 9650 with OS 5, I simply held down a letter from the home screen and it dialed my speed dial. My phone now wants to search, launch applications and do all sorts of crap that I don't want it to do. I simply want to be able to dial speed dial numbers from the home screen and nothing else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    08-30-11 08:46 PM
    Set up your speed dial numbers and it'll work.
    08-30-11 08:52 PM
    turn off universal search, options > display > homescreen preferences

after that you can set speed dial like on OS 5
    08-30-11 08:54 PM
    turn off universal search, options > display > homescreen preferences

after that you can set speed dial like on OS 5
    You don't need to do that. You could just press and hold down any key on the home screen (barring some exceptions like "Q") to set a speed dial number.
    08-30-11 08:59 PM
    that did it, thank you!
    08-30-11 08:59 PM
    OK, on a related note... I want to be able to dial from the home screen directly like I did on by OS 5 device.

Right now I have to hit the phone icon then start dialing numbers. I belive with my old device, I could just start hitting numbers and it would bring up the number pad right away. Anyone know if this is still possible?
    09-01-11 08:42 AM
    It still does it. If your in home screen and start typing a number, if universal search is on, it will start showing the 'letters' you typed, thinking you want to search, but just beneath it in second line, you will see it shows "Dial:xxx-xxx-xxxx, the number. Scroll to it with touchpad and hit enter, or tap on it and hit dial button. Also, read the manual on 'Phone' section (page 52+) which tells you all how to use the phone functions.
    09-01-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD