Just switched to VZW (new 9930) from AT&T (old 9700). As I imagined, my signal (even on Verizon) at my desk at work sucks. It it just as horrible as on AT&T. I'm not complaining about that. I knew it would be just as crappy because of my location in the building and the structure itself. No worry.

On AT&T, I used to be able to force 2G (EDGE) which allowed me a decent signal without having my phone hunt to a 3G signal -- which as well know -- hunting for that illusive 3G signal where it's just on the edge completely and totally will kill battery life. I would get three hours on 3G before hitting 10%, but by keeping on EDGE, I could get through the whole day, easily.

Now that I am on Verizon, I have a similar problem. Is there a way to force the phone to just stay on 1X and not try and obtain an EV-DO signal? The network connections options screen doesn't seem to allow it like it did with AT&T GSM.

Ideas?
    08-17-11 12:30 PM
    Turn off data.
    It will go to 1xev.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 12:31 PM
    The problem is that I want data, so I don't want to turn that off completely. I just don't care if the data is slower in exchange for increased battery life. On AT&T, EDGE gave me full data, just at something like 80-100kbps.
    08-17-11 12:34 PM
    under mobile network options try switching from "global" to "1XEV"
    08-17-11 12:42 PM
    @Webbull, he wants to disable Verizon's version of 3G, not disable GSM.

@mpscan, I just looked at my 9930 and cannot find a way to disable 1XEV. I am not entirely sure there is a way =( My question is are you sure that going to 1X will correct the issue? You may have just as bad signal with 1X as you do with EV.
    08-17-11 12:50 PM
    I'm pretty sure. In general, among all carriers, all signals, and all devices, it takes more power to obtain a higher/faster signal. It takes less battery power and signal penetration to secure a lower level signal. In this case, it's reversed as 1G is BETTER than 2G which is BETTER than 3G which is BETTER than 4G.

On AT&T, I could make it 10-14 hours on EDGE (2G) only but absolutely no more than 3 hours when I had 3G enabled. I was hoping I could do the same on Verizon and stop the phone fromkilling the battery by hunting for an EVDO-A signal it can barely find.
    08-17-11 12:55 PM
    Hey guys, I don't have the device yet but I could have sworn I heard the 9930 was or could be used as a world phone. Did you try that method, switching to gsm roaming w/data? I don't know if it's possible or not but worth a shot.
    08-17-11 01:12 PM
    It is a world phone, but he still wants to use Verizon's data, just not at 1XEV. He wants to use Verizon's version of 2G. Setting GSM will make him try to use a GSM carrier.

Hey guys, I don't have the device yet but I could have sworn I heard the 9930 was or could be used as a world phone. Did you try that method, switching to gsm roaming w/data? I don't know if it's possible or not but worth a shot.
    08-17-11 01:14 PM
    I did try the GSM. Unfortunately, doesn't work without a valid AT&T or T-Mobile GSM card installed in the phone, but then, yes it gets 2G voice/data (not 3G as the bands aren't compatible).

Thinking I am out of lock here, just based on the visible options that can be set on the phone.
    08-17-11 01:16 PM
    If he had AT&T he could get it to work on edge but not 3G. The VZ 9930 does not have 1900 or 1700 GSM band to prevent people from using it in the US but with VZ.
    08-17-11 01:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure. In general, among all carriers, all signals, and all devices, it takes more power to obtain a higher/faster signal. It takes less battery power and signal penetration to secure a lower level signal. In this case, it's reversed as 1G is BETTER than 2G which is BETTER than 3G which is BETTER than 4G.

On AT&T, I could make it 10-14 hours on EDGE (2G) only but absolutely no more than 3 hours when I had 3G enabled. I was hoping I could do the same on Verizon and stop the phone fromkilling the battery by hunting for an EVDO-A signal it can barely find.
    Yeah that sucks dude. I was going to suggest to get one of those phemtocells for your office but i am thinking you won't be able to get your employeer to install one at your office.
    08-17-11 01:19 PM
    Looks like a desktop charging cradle is in my future.

(still love the phone though!)
    08-17-11 01:20 PM
    Sorry we couldnt help with this one.
    08-17-11 01:23 PM
    Well ok, just throwin my 2 cents in. You can do what i have done, for data I just talked the IT guys into setting up my wireless under the encryptions they have and turned off the mobile data while in the office. Not the best idea but it worked for me the 3 months of office duty I had to do.
    08-17-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD