Just got a charging pod for home and work. Always left my old BlackBerry phones off the charger all day.

The pod at work is using my Playbook charger which I hear is like three times stronger. Is keeping the phone sitting in the pod for 4-6 hours on the Playbook charger going to hurt anything? Prematurely wear out the battery? ... or does it have built in protections against this? Just wondering if I should only put it in the pod when the batter is below a set % ... or switch out the Playbook charger for a standard one with the pod?

Thanks....
    09-29-11 09:30 AM
    I would expect it will kill it sooner if you keep using it. I've heard of new OS updates disabling the use of the Playbook Charger. Likely through sensing the voltage of the charger in use, because of the potential for battery damage.
    09-29-11 04:44 PM
    Theoratically speaking, it should not harm your battery because there is an electronic auto cut off switch which activate when the battery is at 100% and turn on(if the BB is pluged all the time) when the battery hit 95% or something. If you unplug at 100 and re-plug back in at 99% it will still charge to 100%. But if you keep it on the charger stright, it will only start charging when it drops at a certain % like 95 or so.

I don't think the difference in I, the current NOT the voltage will cause any harm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 05:12 PM
    another Playbook charger thread.....

Anyway, general rule of thumb. Rapid charging is hard on batteries, and trickle charging is less hard on batteries. Batteries wear, heat contributes to that. The Playbook charger will not 'hurt' your phone battery, but it's not the healthiest battery charging scenario.
    09-29-11 05:42 PM
    The PB charger is what 1800mAh and the stock 9930 charger is 700mAh. The updated OS won't allow the use of the PB charger. That should probably give you a hint not to use it.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-29-11 06:44 PM
    It would be best not to use it. I have actually damaged batteries on other platforms by using a charger that was too powerful (specifically a Blackberry charger on an LG phone with a micro USB plug).... twice.
    09-29-11 09:05 PM
    Why BlackBerry sells the playbook charger as rapid charger??? So playbook charger can Charge without problmes or no the 9900???
    09-29-11 09:43 PM
    i use my pb charger for bb... hm interesting will see where this convo goes
    09-29-11 10:26 PM
    the Playbook charger is not per-say a rapid charger. But consider the 12V multipurpose chargers for a moment for an easy explanation. The type that you buy at Sears, and can charge your lawn mower or your car battery. They have a switch on the front for an amperage setting. Turn it up, and you can hear it hum as it's working pretty hard. Hard enough to actually start a small motor. This is the concept of the Playbook charger compared to a phone charger. The higher amperage rating of the Playbook charger, while fixed, just charges a phone faster. Conversely a phone charger will take much longer to charge the Playbook.

Both will get the job done in some fashion. The slower charging cycle, is inherently healthier for any battery; Playbook or phone it doesn't matter. The difference is, larger batteries that put out more current, can handle a charger that feeds it more current easier than a lesser battery. It will still charge, but over time, as stated earlier, slow charging is always healthiest for the any battery.

BTW, anybody ever notice their car charger charges their phone quicker than their wall chargers? Rapid charge anyone? Why the sudden concern over the Playbook charger.....

Think of voltage as a force of water pushing through a pipe, or the PSI. A garden hose will move water at 75 PSI, so will a fire hydrant. The fire hydrant will move more water, but still at the same 75PSI force as the garden hose, (Albeit with more momentum, but not the argument here)

Think of current as the volume.(Garden hose of fire hydrant) When there is not enough space for the volume, with electricity it generates heat. Take a cheap 100' extension cord and try and power something 14 - 16 amps. You'll feel the heat in the extension cord.

There is nothing to govern that flow when using a Playbook charger on your phone, and it will get pretty warm (Because the battery is unable to properly manage the amount - current). This is the unhealthy part. Maybe not cause immediate damage, but regular use will wear the battery down quicker than using a standard phone charger.
    Last edited by ericdude; 09-30-11 at 08:46 AM.
    maxrdlf likes this.
    09-30-11 08:27 AM
    When I had my 9630, my standard charger started to go out on me somehow, so I just started using my PB charger. From that point on my Tour wouldn't recognize any other charger than the PB one. I'd plug my car charger into it, and it'd charge for about a minute, then stop charging. Same thing with another charger I had on my desk at work. My battery would also drain a lot faster, which could be caused by the battery being almost two years old. I haven't used my PB charger on my 9930, and I have no intention of doing so.
    09-30-11 08:37 AM
    I use my regular charger as well as my PlayBook charger. I'm running the latest .353 with .362 java and I have zero issues charging my phone. They are both rated at 5V so it's fine. RIM even markets the PlayBook charger as a premium charger.
    09-30-11 09:01 AM
    I use my regular charger as well as my PlayBook charger. I'm running the latest .353 with .362 java and I have zero issues charging my phone. They are both rated at 5V so it's fine. RIM even markets the PlayBook charger as a premium charger.
    This is the point I was making. They are obviously both 5V. It's not the voltage that's different or causes the quicker or slower charge. It the current.
    09-30-11 09:19 AM
    Unless the engineers who designed the power regulation circuitry inside the phone and the safety devices inside the battery were asleep, you can pump as much 5v electricity into the phone as you want, the phone will only consume what it is capable of using safely.
    09-30-11 09:54 AM
    Unless the engineers who designed the power regulation circuitry inside the phone and the safety devices inside the battery were asleep, you can pump as much 5v electricity into the phone as you want, the phone will only consume what it is capable of using safely.
    Safely isn't the question, longevity of battery life is, and no you cannot pump as much of 5V as you want into the phone. You regulate voltage, not current. The only control of current is a fuse or circuit breaker. Again, current is what's dictating the pace of charging here. More current means heat, and the heat thresholds of a Playbook charger on a phone are deemed safe. But that is different than battery health and longevity.
    09-30-11 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD