is there a way we can get focus on the picture before we take?
    08-29-11 01:21 AM
    No the camera does not have auto focus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 01:37 AM
    The Lens on the 9900/9930 is EDOF ( Extended Depth of Field) so there is no need to focus before you shoot. As long as you are a foot or so away from your subject this lens will produce Excellent results. And this EDOF camera makes Video shooting much better than with an auto-focus lens.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved
    08-29-11 06:30 AM
    set your camera to take steady shots and you should not have any problems taking great pics
    08-29-11 11:10 AM
    I've heard putting a lens in front of the camera (magnifying glass in particular) seems to work when taking shots close up (macro)
    I have found using digital zoom works when I need to take macro shots and it seems to have no issue reading QR tags, even if they are small
    08-29-11 12:55 PM
    I've used the digital zoom and am happy with up close pictures... Note; on your phone it does look better, but this is acceptable for me.

08-29-11 12:58 PM
    Lighting has proven to me that gives the best shots. Natural light seems to work the best for me. Sometimes I have to take the photo twice to get the picture right. Hope the new OS will have some improvements for the camera.

08-29-11 01:40 PM
    Lighting has proven to me that gives the best shots. Natural light seems to work the best for me. Sometimes I have to take the photo twice to get the picture right. Hope the new OS will have some improvements for the camera.

Not really sure what can be done...its mostly a hardware gripe and not a software one.
    08-29-11 01:47 PM
    And this EDOF camera makes Video shooting much better than with an auto-focus lens.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved
    The video samples I've seen from the 9900 are less than impressive, especially for HD(720p).
    08-29-11 01:48 PM
    its a phone. Get a digital camera if you want high quality shots. 5mp is good enough for quick reference pictures for personal or business use.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    08-29-11 01:50 PM
    Well, I read the reviews that the 9930 didn't have autofocus, but going from a 3MP autofocus on my 9650 Bold has been a shock. I had almost retired my digital camera because of the quality of photos. But .... trying to get decent detail pics with the 9930 has been disappointing.
    I love the rest of the phone's features, but feel that the camera was a pretty major downgrade. I hope RIM gets this figured out on the next generation or I'll have to agree that their days may be numbered.
    If the competition improves, so must we.
    11-22-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD