Help! Callers to my new 9930 are basically inaudible and sound like they are in a tin can and far, far away. When I use my headset, things are marginally better, but ONLY marginally. I've set every volume setting to 100%, and even enabled the boost audio setting, but there's no change. Anyone else experiencing this? This is VERY disappointing.
    08-23-11 06:27 PM
    Sounds like you have a defective device. Mine is awesome way better than my droid it has great call quality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 07:39 PM
    Nunna--I think I'm in the same boat. Got a 9930 (from Mexico 5) and am having a hard time hearing people. Not just in terms of overall volume, but the clarity is very poor.

Coming from an 8330, with which I had zero call problems. Incoming voices on my 9930 are sometimes garbled, often difficult to hear (even with the various volume boosts). "Ts" "Ss" and "Ps" are particularly difficult to distinguish. They all seem to sound like "sh"

Even things like the call waiting "Beep" are not crisp. It sounds more like a "Beepsh" with a bit of extra digital noise instead of a clean break at the end.

Am hopeful that this is just a poorly-constructed handset and not indicative of broader problems with the 9930 line. Mine is from Mexico 5.

Would love to stay with a replacement 9930, but need a phone that works well as a phone and not just a messaging device.

Any other VZW 9930 users able to weigh in on this?
    08-24-11 03:00 PM
    I have a Sprint 9930. This thing is unusable as a phone. Call volume and clarity are intolerable. I moved from a 9650 that I just owned for 7 months so I paid full price for the 9930. As far as the phone part, it's like going from a new Mercedes to a 1989 Chevy Cavalier. The 9650 was a joy to talk on and the only BB I have owned which had a usable phone. My Curve 8330 was unusable as a phone, but I used the thing for 26 months. I then went to a Style 9670 which was so horrible (worse than the 9930) that I returned it within the 30 days. I then went to the Bold 9650 and it was the best cell phone I had ever used, as far as the phone part goes. Callers were loud and clear and I didn't have to yell to get them to hear me. Now, it's more of the old stuff with the 9930. I really like the 9930, other than the phone clarity/volume, so I don't know if I will keep it or do the unthinkable and go back to the 9650 or consider the new Curve coming in September, which will probably be no better than the 9930. There's even an Android-with-physical-keyboard possibility (Sprint XPRT). I had been excited about the upcoming Touch Bold for months and ordered mine from Sprint at midnight August 21, but it looks like the whole thing was a big letdown.

Does anyone know if volume range is ever changed by a new update of the OS? I figure that RIM might address this if enough people speak out.

I noticed on the 9930 if you change the hearing aid mode to Telecoil, then incoming volume increases but clarity is still horrible and you get an indicator on the screen that you are in "H-T" mode which isn't cool.

RIM, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO MANUFACTURE A LOUD AND CLEAR PHONE? If it can be done once, one would think it could be done all the time. Why can't the good one just be copied? TELEPHONES ARE NOT NEW TECHNOLOGY.
    08-24-11 09:06 PM
    You two must have busted phones. Have mine(Mexico plant as well), and the call quality is incredibly crisp and audible. Also, way louder than I thought it would be. Found myself pulling the phone away from my ear, and someone two rooms over(with a Tv on), said they could hear the speaker from there when it was on full.

I've found the 9930 to be louder than my previous two BB's, but it seems like a small percentage of BBs got shipped with defects perhaps?
    08-24-11 09:17 PM
    I would think you just received a defective device. When I opened mine uo the bottom panel was coming off the phone but luckly I just popped it back on.

08-24-11 09:44 PM
    I would think you just received a defective device. When I opened mine uo the bottom panel was coming off the phone but luckly I just popped it back on.

Poppable back on or not, that would make me send it back demanding a new one. F*** these badly manufactured phones. The more people send their <100% perfect phones back, the more motivated they will be to improve manufacturing quality in the future.
    08-24-11 09:54 PM
    I did my first call on this device tonight and it was a little muffled sounding/hard to hear. I jacked the volume all the way up and really didn't have a problem after that.
    08-24-11 10:07 PM
    Have you tried adjusting the treble? Mine was muffled at first but since I switched it to boost treble, clarity has been great.
    08-24-11 10:28 PM
    Boosting treble does no good. Boosting bass does no good. Hearing aid mode boosts earpiece volume but there's still lots of distortion. I'm just baffled with the amount of technology in this phone and its pathetic call quality/volume.
    08-24-11 11:22 PM
    Sad but you have a bad device. If this was normal there would be several threads about poor audio, kind of like the infamous pathetic camera (so some claim), but that is not the case. Get it exchanged ASAP.
    edwardryan likes this.
    08-24-11 11:43 PM
    Sad but you have a bad device. If this was normal there would be several threads about poor audio, kind of like the infamous pathetic camera (so some claim), but that is not the case. Get it exchanged ASAP.
    My 9900 on Rogers with .261 is really crisp and loud compared to my Torch. In fact I had to turn the volume down it was so loud (My Torch has to be cranked all the way up for me to hear anything. LOL)
    08-25-11 01:42 AM
    I struggle to hear callers while using a bluetooth headset on my new 9930. If I am in a noisy environment, I can barely hear them at all. Had the same problem with my tour 2 years ago then it was corrected with a software update. Anyone know if/when rim will release the next update for verizon and will it include a fix to this problem?
    09-15-11 09:54 PM
    Digdah, I have this problem as well. the problem only exists while using a bluetooth headset. while holding phone to ear and speakerphone works fine.
    09-15-11 09:58 PM
    im also having this problem but it happens when my phone rings, wen on speakerphone n handset if my volume is too loud so i dont even use the ringer i just use vibrate!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 11:44 AM
    I've got a 9930 on Verizon and I have great call quality. Sounds like you should swap out your hand set or call tech support. This phone is known for its excellent call quality, so not sure what's up with yours.
    04-27-12 01:17 AM
    I struggle to hear callers while using a bluetooth headset on my new 9930. If I am in a noisy environment, I can barely hear them at all. Had the same problem with my tour 2 years ago then it was corrected with a software update. Anyone know if/when rim will release the next update for verizon and will it include a fix to this problem?

The Bluetooth volume on my VZW Bold 9930 is far better than any of the Storm devices I had prior, it is slightly lower than the G'Zone dumb phone I use for work with the same headset, a Plantronics Voyager Pro. The Storms (1 and 2, and I went through several of both) were so bad that I largely avoided using Bluetooth with them.

As far as call volume using the handset itself, I've never had a problem there, in fact at times, it can be too loud. I've had my 9930 Since September, I think it's the best BlackBerry I've owned by far, other than the battery life and camera. My other BBs were Pearl 9130, Curve 8330 and 3G, Storm 1 & 2.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by atm-berry; 04-27-12 at 11:04 AM.
    04-27-12 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD