I don't travel that often and haven't sense getting my 9930 back in mid Nov. Yesterday I took a small one of about 90 miles. I was meeting a lady whom I had never met before in a fairly strange town. I used my Verizon navagator to find the best route and give turn by turn directions. No problem. As I was comming into town I had to do some light multitasking to send and recieve a few texts. No problem. The entire trip I also had my phone plugged into the car charger as V-nav would surely draw battery. I mad a call to my host and we determined a meeting point that I could easily find. Problem! As soon as the call ended my phone froze completely. I did cont-alt-del to reboot it. Low and behold the white screen of death! Battery pull, no help. There I was out of town and knowing it would be well after dark before Ireturned home and with NO cell phone. At LEAST I was able to contact my host BEFORE it died so knew she would find me. When she arrived I explained the problem to her and asked her if she minded taking me to a Verizon store which she graciously did. OMG there must have been 75 ppl in there! To my amazment I was waited on rather quickly and the employee took my phone to attempt to recover it. After a good wait she pronounced it dead. No surprise there. She brought out a loaner phone for me to use for the remainder of my trip untill a warantee replacement arrived at my home. Well here is the good part. She pulled up my acount and saw where I had switched to Verizon and got this phone inMid Nov. I knew I was outside my 14 day return period. Nope! She said the return period was extended for the hollidays! WOW! She then went back and pulled a brand spanking NEW 9930 and out the door Iwent with it. Thanx Big Red for saving the day!
    12-27-11 08:17 AM
    Nice of VZW but crappy for RIM. I can't believe they haven't fixed the brick issue yet! It's unacceptable. I would be thankful it worked out too but that would probably be enough to make me go back to Android if it happened to me.

I was just on a little road trip too and I relied on my BlackBerry for directions, contacting, finding restaurants etc.
    12-27-11 09:12 AM
    Unfortunately, its not a problem with the phone. Its the operating system. The replacement phone might decide to crash also, be prepared.
    12-27-11 09:16 AM
    PawlWawl is right. If people have to return their phone 2-3 times because of the bricking on replacement phones then yes it has to be an OS problem.

I was really lucky for my trip that I just came back on which was a Carnival Cruise for a whole 6 days. I was worried my phone would brick so I brought along my old Torch. Thank God, I didn't have to use it, but I hated bringing an extra battery with me for the 9900. Never had to do that before. Though, this was necessary since I was on a bus ride to and from for 5 hours so I watched movies on my phone and played music for a long time.
    12-27-11 10:07 AM
    Yes I am very aware of this and I must tell ya I was sitting on the trigger at the store so swap it outright for an iPhone 4s. I resisted the temptation but if it fails me like this again before RIM fixes this 4 month long problem Siri here I come. Verizons good customer service when in need and the fact I am a playbook owner too kept me aboard the BB ship for now.
    12-27-11 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD