After posting a conglomerate of threads and wasting like 3 days of my time I've gone back to using my 9810. About a week ago I bought me a Bold 9900 off of Kijiji, and an Otterbox Commuter for it all for 260 dollars. Immedietly when I got the device home I used BBSAK to wipe it, and then BlacklBerry Desktop Manager to reload OS 7.1.0.391, After which I then did a backup of my 9810 and then used that backup to restore all those settings to my new 9900. Needless to say it was great for two days, no shutdown, no crashesm no freezing... until yesterday.

Since yesterday the device freezes at random which happens to be when it's locked and the screen is off. When it freezes the alt+shift+del deos not work, no matter how many times I use it. My only option was to do battery pulls. It froze about 6 more times before I finally wiped the whole thing and started from scratch. That was no device restore, no installed apps or restored settings. The only ones I restored was the ones from BlackBerry Protect. It was good for another day before BAM. it shuts down and goes through some assinine red blinking LED crap with multiple resets. It also likes to freeze anytime i try and put it into the 60 dollar Otterbox i bought. As of right now I am just sick of the entire device and want to sell it.

IS there anything I should try before getting rid of it?
    10-13-12 10:03 AM
    After posting a conglomerate of threads and wasting like 3 days of my time I've gone back to using my 9810. About a week ago I bought me a Bold 9900 off of Kijiji, and an Otterbox Commuter for it all for 260 dollars. Immedietly when I got the device home I used BBSAK to wipe it, and then BlacklBerry Desktop Manager to reload OS 7.1.0.391, After which I then did a backup of my 9810 and then used that backup to restore all those settings to my new 9900. Needless to say it was great for two days, no shutdown, no crashesm no freezing... until yesterday.

Since yesterday the device freezes at random which happens to be when it's locked and the screen is off. When it freezes the alt+shift+del deos not work, no matter how many times I use it. My only option was to do battery pulls. It froze about 6 more times before I finally wiped the whole thing and started from scratch. That was no device restore, no installed apps or restored settings. The only ones I restored was the ones from BlackBerry Protect. It was good for another day before BAM. it shuts down and goes through some assinine red blinking LED crap with multiple resets. It also likes to freeze anytime i try and put it into the 60 dollar Otterbox i bought. As of right now I am just sick of the entire device and want to sell it.

IS there anything I should try before getting rid of it?
    My best guess is you bought a lemon. If you sell it to someone else...that would mean you're no different than the person who sold it to you.
    Thumb-Berry likes this.
    10-13-12 11:18 AM
    Well, I can't blame the OP if he / she sells it to someone else. Won't want to lose 260 dollars just on a case of principle and not sell it so that he's better than someone else.

I would wipe the device clean, run it empty for a few days just to determine if an app restored from the 9810 was causing the problem...
    10-13-12 12:12 PM
    Yeah, I'll try that. A fresh install, nothing but Blackberry protect infor brough over.
    10-13-12 05:10 PM
    The price says it all. 260 dollars for a 9900 is way too cheap. That would have been the first signal that something was wrong with the phone.
    10-13-12 05:21 PM
    all of em are that price on Kijiji.
    10-13-12 05:26 PM
    The price says it all. 260 dollars for a 9900 is way too cheap. That would have been the first signal that something was wrong with the phone.
    Actually he paid $200 for 9900 (pretty low price), then $60 for Otterbox (pretty high), if I read his post correctly.

Used BB prices will vary greatly region to region. Here in Vancouver I could likely sell my 9900 for $350-400 easy on craigslist.

**EDIT: Just did search on Vancouver craigslist out curiosity. Out of first couple dozen or so 9900 postings, most were $240-400. One out in the boonies was $200… and then one sketchy ad for $130.
    10-13-12 05:39 PM
    also try running on the base 7.0 os and then trying a hybrid or another leaked/official os incase that one is the one thats messing your phone up as im guessing it worked fine when the guy showed it to you, sorry to hear you have a bad 9900 they honestly arent crap in general mines perfect except for the fact that i cant get the shadowgun game on it lol
    10-14-12 05:25 AM
    Mine is doing the exact same thing! I'm running the latest verizon OS and hve not installed any new apps. Have never ha problem with this phone until now.
    10-14-12 11:24 AM
    Have you tried running the device without the media card?
    10-14-12 11:30 AM
    No but I will try
    10-14-12 12:09 PM
    My best guess is you bought a lemon. If you sell it to someone else...that would mean you're no different than the person who sold it to you.
    Contact the seller, explain what happened, and try to get a refund...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-14-12 12:34 PM
    Just tried with out the media card and that worked for a while but I think it was more from the battery pull. Now back to phone freezing and restarting
    10-14-12 03:27 PM
    More on the Bold 9900 prices. In the US, bolds generally sell for $270-450 on eBay. $450 being unopened price. I got mine for $325, rarely used and in mint condition. Haven't gotten it yet, but the guy has gotten 100% good reviews, so we'll see when it gets here.

Definitely give it a wipe. Try older OSes, too.
    10-15-12 08:33 AM
    Mine is doing the exact same thing! I'm running the latest verizon OS and hve not installed any new apps. Have never ha problem with this phone until now.
    I want to say that the OS is what's buggy. That's the #1 thing that some Bolds deal with. The OS works for 99%, but the 1% just don't seem to work as they should. Doesn't make sense.
    10-15-12 08:35 AM
    You are mentioning the exact reason why I would never buy a phone from a non authorised dealer and without any warranty. The person selling the phone probably had problems and was not able to unoad it. Maybe the phone was strongly dropped or got wet. This you will never know...
    10-15-12 09:53 PM
    Try Kijiji ontario Toronto, over 500 9900 adds 180-300 but you could offer 160 and people would take it.

9900 is cheap as heck on kijiji and some are fully boxed/accesories and warranty.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-16-12 01:01 AM
    If all of the above did not work it sounds like a hardware problem.
    10-16-12 05:03 AM