Well, it doesn't surprise me. This contradicts what the phone rep (based on NV) told me this past Saturday. I stuck my SIM card from the BB into my Inspire - all was well for a few minutes, then couldn't get data. Long story short, he said it was the bands from the phone not syncing with the system. Meaning I had to switch to a 4G data plan. Pure bs, eh? He said I should keep the unlimited 3G instead of going 4G. Heck, I'm lucky to get 3G anyway. I have to use a damn Microcell at home. So hook me up!
    The new Bold Touch is 4G for ATT and Tmo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 08:03 AM
    Well, it doesn't surprise me. This contradicts what the phone rep (based on NV) told me this past Saturday. I stuck my SIM card from the BB into my Inspire - all was well for a few minutes, then couldn't get data. Long story short, he said it was the bands from the phone not syncing with the system. Meaning I had to switch to a 4G data plan. Pure bs, eh? He said I should keep the unlimited 3G instead of going 4G. Heck, I'm lucky to get 3G anyway. I have to use a damn Microcell at home. So hook me up!
    I tried the same thing with an Inspire. The only way the sim card will work is that you have to call ATT and they need to switch you from the Black Berry Data plan to an android one (not sure if this is the correct name). Once I called ATT they switched me over and I was able to get data on the inspire, my plan did not change.
    06-24-11 09:48 AM
    The new Bold Touch is 4G for ATT and Tmo

What? It's not a 4G device. If it is AT&T doesn't classify it as a 4G device.
    Last edited by ibcop; 06-24-11 at 11:49 AM.
    06-24-11 11:46 AM
    Recap:

1) BIS will throttle your speed regardless of carrier
    2) The only way to know what's the best carrier in your area is to try it your area
    3) the conventional wisdom is if you spend a lot of time outside of major metro areas, Verizon (or other CDMA) is the carrier of choice. I have personally found the opposite to be true, though my experience is rather limited.
    4) I use ATT because Verizon can't s*ck enough at my house, my office, and where I go to play, but I do drop a lot of calls.

Bottom line: Wait for the phones to come out. Try it on both carriers. Yes, you will make a small investment in restocking fees, usage, etc, but nothing compared to the scarring your psyche will suffer if you find out after 30 days you made the wrong choice.
    06-24-11 12:16 PM
    Recap:

1) BIS will throttle your speed regardless of carrier
    I hate BIS. It's the main reason I am considering an iPhone instead of the BB9900 which looks to be a beautiful piece of hardware.
    06-24-11 02:38 PM
    What? It's not a 4G device. If it is AT&T doesn't classify it as a 4G device.
    HSDPA+ is considered 4G by both ATT and Tmo

06-24-11 03:35 PM
    HSDPA is considered 4G by both ATT and Tmo

Thats SO deceiving. I wonder when they go true 4G if they'll then call it 5G
    06-24-11 03:39 PM
    HSDPA is considered 4G by both ATT and Tmo

But the 9900 is not classified as a 4G device by AT&T.
    06-24-11 03:41 PM
    The best thing about verizon imo is their coverage. It really is just about everywhere. I value that when I'm out in the boonies. It's probably the main reason I'm with verizon, switching from t-mo 2 years ago. 3G coverage trumps 4G speed anyday. To each their own, but I'd not consider switching.
    06-24-11 09:31 PM
    I switched to AT&T for the BB BOLD 9000 - what a fargin mistake. I lasted 18 months then back to VZW and their sh*tty phones (I have the 9650 mini, crappy, ugly, teeny tiny, laggy bold), but I never drop a call, stationary and whilst I'm trucking across the tri state area, a dropped call is very rare. What I am dying to know is: can all you folks who say "I never drop calls with att" please, just for giggles, can you get in your car, call your best buddy and drive 25 miles while speaking on the phone. If you don't drop I want to know where you live, because I'm coming.
    The things I hate about vzw is the lack of awesome BB's and the ability for those BB's to handle voice and data simultaneously. So yes, if att was what its cracked up to be, I'd be out of here in a flash. It just isn't (for ME). Of course, its all about personal experience (and mine s*cked)

06-25-11 08:44 AM
    I switched to AT&T for the BB BOLD 9000 - what a fargin mistake. I lasted 18 months then back to VZW and their sh*tty phones (I have the 9650 mini, crappy, ugly, teeny tiny, laggy bold), but I never drop a call, stationary and whilst I'm trucking across the tri state area, a dropped call is very rare. What I am dying to know is: can all you folks who say "I never drop calls with att" please, just for giggles, can you get in your car, call your best buddy and drive 25 miles while speaking on the phone. If you don't drop I want to know where you live, because I'm coming.
    The things I hate about vzw is the lack of awesome BB's and the ability for those BB's to handle voice and data simultaneously. So yes, if att was what its cracked up to be, I'd be out of here in a flash. It just isn't (for ME). Of course, its all about personal experience (and mine s*cked)
    I agree with your post regarding the drops. I had to use at+t for a work device and the drops were nut driving. The few people who I knew on at+t were wanting out. You didn't have to be moving to drop. Have they not fixed this issue? Nobody drops a call like att. Worst cs when you call to complain also. Thank god we have choices.
    06-25-11 09:24 AM
    Anyone out there currently on ATT I definitely know they were horrible as early as 1-2 years ago, but the word is that it has improved dramatically. Who has a 9700 or 9780 out there that can chime in?
    06-25-11 04:05 PM
    Anyone out there currently on ATT I definitely know they were horrible as early as 1-2 years ago, but the word is that it has improved dramatically. Who has a 9700 or 9780 out there that can chime in?
    ...anyone? Bueller? lol
    06-26-11 04:57 AM
    ...anyone? Bueller? lol
    I'm with AT&T now.....have been for many years. I did try Verizon at one point and I have to admit, I did miss the option of being able to use data and voice at the same time. Now, no carrier is perfect, but I think AT&T has come a long way as far as network. Do I have a dropped call? Yes, but not very damn often. Now, at my home, I am on the edge of 3G, so I would fluctuate between 3G and Edge. I could have pushed the issue and had AT&T given me one, but I just opted to buy a MicroCell off eBay and be done with it. True, I shouldn't have to buy anything in order to get a better signal, but this thing really works and is slamming with 5 bars at all times. If I go outside, I still have 4 bars of 3G - it's only when I go inside that I have issues - hence the reason I can't really blame it on AT&T.
    06-26-11 05:29 AM
    I have had at&t since 2005 in the Cingular days. I have never had a problem with them. Customer service has always been good to me and I hardly ever get a dropped call- only in a very rural area where Verizon has the same issue. I definitely recommend at&t and have been very happy with them.
    06-26-11 06:00 AM
    ATT is utter garbage. I drove to Manhattan from Baltimore and my signal kept dropping. This killed my battery because my 9700 kept looking for a signal when there was none. So I just turned off the signal until I got into New Jersey. Worse yet is that Att intentionally keeps their infrastructure spending low
    06-26-11 06:49 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I do have unlimited, however I rarely go ove 1GB and I use my BB all the time, so I don't know if that is a big deal to me. I am mostly strugling with the idea of higher speeds.

I was on AT&T for over 10 years and recently switched to Verizon. I got very tired of dropped calls and crappy signals. Speed doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't get a signal!
    06-27-11 09:41 AM
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that I can only get unlimited data at Verizon if I sign up before July 7 but there is no freakin' 9930 to be had.

Anyone else with the same dilemma? I'm now thinking of getting some old used device and hook that up on a new VZW contract but I have no idea if I can then still get a 9930 at the sponsored price or not.

Annoying. Wish the darn thing came out already.
    Im in the same dilema exactly. I have confirmed with a verizon rep online that you can save your discount if you bring an old phone. I did not figure out if i could switch to a BB plan after 7/7 when the 9930 arrives and keep the unlimited data. Also i would like to know if i get to keep the unlimited after future upgrades in one or two years.
    06-27-11 10:47 AM
    Im in the same dilema exactly. I have confirmed with a verizon rep online that you can save your discount if you bring an old phone. I did not figure out if i could switch to a BB plan after 7/7 when the 9930 arrives and keep the unlimited data. Also i would like to know if i get to keep the unlimited after future upgrades in one or two years.
    I have heard discussion in various forums that verizon could force you onto a new data(tier)plan when you just want to activate a phone. I don't think this would apply to those still under contract tho, probably out of contract, buying a phone off ebay or CL.
    So those of us on contract should be locked in until it expires?? then?? Tiered I guess.
    That said, I couldn't wait for the 9930 either and went with a diff platform as my contract was up and I wanted to lock. Now when I go back(if I do)
    and pick up a bold touch for full price, I'm thinking I'll still be ok data plan wise until I have to re-sign, then I'm guess it will be pick a plan time.
    So I've got two years and alot can change by then, hopefully not for the worse, but LTE should be well out there at least.
    06-27-11 11:04 AM
    I am with ATT and no complaints here in Seattle.
    We have now have 16 phones with them, 6 of them with unlimited data grandfathered in. ATT recently sent new 4G capable Sim card for all our phones.

We are with ATT Premier.
    06-28-11 08:20 AM
    OK, so I made the switch to try out AT&T before the Super 9900 comes out. I must say, I wish I had done it before (it's been 2 days, so we'll see)

First impression, the phone runs a lot better. I could not get an ATT compatible 9780(Rogers) for a decent price so I got a nice 9700. This phone while with less memory than my 9650 runs a lot smoother than my 9650 ever did, boot up is 2 minutes vs the 8 minutes I used to wait!!! and on the 9700 I only have like 30MB free mem vs the 9650 has like 180, so it is not a memory thing. Anyway all that is irrelevant because the 9900 should perform the same for the networks because they are almost the same.

So far I love the support for visual voicemail, data while on the phone, and indeed this 3G is significantly faster. As for drop calls, time will tell, but at this rater I am most likely getting my 9900 from ATT, if it ever comes out.
    07-02-11 04:39 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD