07-13-11 01:00 AM
146 1234 ...
tools
    These who are wondering if it is worth waiting for will be sorry if they do not wait.

The images are deceiving as both the 9000 and 9900 ar the same height and width but the 9900 is WAY thinner. Build quality is the best ever!

You have pm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 01:16 AM
    Can someone please tell me where the speaker is located for listening to music and whatnot? I've seen countless videos and pics of this thing but sill haven't seen an area where the speaker might be. My guess is that the sound will just come out from the main speaker on the top front part if the phone
    07-07-11 02:07 AM
    post some more pics!!! They look the same thickness in the photos
    I will post better images this weekend. But take my word it is a LOT thinner. It makes the 9000 feel fat in comparison

How is browser? How is multitasking? Any lag? What service are you using it on?

It is running on the AT&T 3G network. Multitasking is much better than my 9780. The entire UI is enhanced by having a proper processor. No lag on anything I have done. Downloading even is faster and this 9900 has much better RF capabilities than my 9780 had as I am getting full bars in places I always only had 1 or 2 bars on the 9780. RIM did something to really boost the RF abilities of the 9900.

Greggebhardt must be some sort of wizard...

What's the status on mobile hotspot?
    Last time I checked I am simple mortal
    I do not see mobile hot spot and was told that it being on the device would be a carrier elected feature. It may even be on the device and I have not found it yet. OS7 is very similar to OS6 but has some extra features like NFC.

@OP.... So what is your take on the 9900?
    I had my doubts about the touch screen but found that it AND the keyboard work well together. A first you do not use the touch screen at all as in the past the capability was not there, but it grows on you quickly. Really nice is holding your finger on an icon for any length of time brings up the menu for that icon.

There is no delay. My software is likely not the final version but it works very well now. The browser is like the 9780 except the speed of the processor, graphics engine and the ability of touch greatly enhance the experience.

The build quality is the best of any RIM device except going back to my old RIM 7520 days. Everything fits well with no creaking. The battery cover is perfect and the carbon fiber looks good. The high gloss finish on the back does concern me a little.

The device is the same height and width as the 9000 except it is not near a thick. The weight of the 9900 is not bad at all considering the glass screen and stainless bezel. It does weight more than the 9780. My electronic mail scale shows the 9900 with battery is 4.6oz vs 3.1oz for my 9780. It feels great in my large hands, the back surrounding the battery cover is like rubberized and make it feel more secure in the hand. The proximity detection worked perfectly and shut down the screen when the device was against my face.

The battery is larger but again thinner. The memory card is accessed behind the battery door and is just a good friction fit rather than the click in and click out holder they had before. Should be much more dependable and ANYTHING is better than the 9000 memory card holder!

A lot of people are wondering if there is a WiFi Hotspot?
    I do not see it on my device, but I think it would be added to the OS if the carrier would allow it.

You have pm

answered

Can someone please tell me where the speaker is located for listening to music and whatnot? I've seen countless videos and pics of this thing but sill haven't seen an area where the speaker might be. My guess is that the sound will just come out from the main speaker on the top front part if the phone
    No, the internal speaker sound comes out of a slot at the bottom of the back carbon fiber battery door. It is about 1/16" x 5/8". This same slot is used to remove the battery cover. The sound is EXCELLENT, way better than the 9780. It sounds like the entire carbon fiber back resonates and helps with the sound. Few people should be disappointed with this. I use some older OS5 notification tones and I forgot how good they really sounded until the 9900 did them for me.
    07-07-11 06:28 AM
    One last thing. The GPS is killer. I walked outside and asked the 9900 to find my location and it did so quickly with accuracy down to "9 feet". I could actually see the movement walking out on my driveway to get the paper.

Does the 9900 have a real GPS built in? I have not even been able to get a fix with my previous two RIM devices, this is a big change indeed!
    bebna, mssca and jasmeeroberoi like this.
    07-07-11 07:07 AM
    Greg thanks for all the answers!

07-07-11 07:56 AM
    @OP... Thx for your input. Your opinion is greatly valued. One last lil question to ask. how is the sms on the 9900? I am a heavy texter so this is not a make or break for me but is important.
    07-07-11 08:31 AM
    Is there any voice turn by turn to go with the great gps?
    07-07-11 08:52 AM
    Much like the 9780 except the keyboard is far better.

It may vary between units but the 9900 I am using has what I call a very "clicky and crisp" keyboard vs the softer and mushy keyboard on my 9780.

I will bet many will complain like crazy that there is a clean CLICK sound as each button is pressed. Too loud to conceal in a classroom! LOL!

I am also proud to say the keyboard has not "stuttered" a single time in my near 24 hours of use.
    JUSTQUAN2 and bebna like this.
    07-07-11 08:55 AM
    Is there any voice turn by turn to go with the great gps?
    I think that would rely on installed software. It does have maps and one heck of a powerful GPS. It would not replace my Garmin but I have never seen a RIM device locate itself within seconds of asking, heck most of my past RIM devices could never get any GPS lock, ever.
    07-07-11 09:00 AM
    Greg you always seem to get these before the rest of us. Congrats on the 9900 and thanks a ton for the great review and pics. I am so psyched to get this now!

07-07-11 09:02 AM
    Hopefully we can get it within a couple weeks.
    07-07-11 09:04 AM
    Greg you always seem to get these before the rest of us. Congrats on the 9900 and thanks a ton for the great review and pics. I am so psyched to get this now!

I have been doing this for so long my "contact list" has become extensive over the years. Thanks
    07-07-11 09:09 AM
    Hey Gregg

Thanks for the personal review - i have a question....

you had said some time back that you generally get the units to field test and then its approx 30+ days from when you get it until the units hit retail - is my memory correct? The August 21 date might actually be getting more ..... actual?

also - does the size being larger than your previous make this a better fit or a worse fit? also - sorry - another question - Battery Life? you have had it for a couple days - how is the battery life?
    Last edited by tliolos; 07-07-11 at 09:28 AM.
    JUSTQUAN2 and mssca like this.
    07-07-11 09:24 AM
    From what I saw yesterday with only a partial day of use, the 9900 battery is at least as good as my 9780. I charged at noon and did all the set ups and downloads and could not keep my hands off the device and the battery discharge was quite reasonable.

Today it came off the charger at 3:30am and will suffer a more normal day. We will see at the end of the day. I suspect that RIM will not disappoint anyone who charges their device, nightly, while they sleep. For those who do not sleep, you might need a little charge before the end of the 2nd day.

Just found this in another section of the forums.... thanks Gregg - ignore the last question I had.....
    07-07-11 10:47 AM
    I do not think they will be out in 30 days, in this case. Finding this one was like looking for hen's teeth. I am still thinking September or later but then I know that RIM is putting the pressure on everyone to get this device delivered so I think anything could happen.

I am sorry to say if I had to guess on sooner or later, I would have to bet on later.
    07-07-11 10:50 AM
    I do not think they will be out in 30 days, in this case. Finding this one was like looking for hen's teeth. I am still thinking September or later but then I know that RIM is putting the pressure on everyone to get this device delivered so I think anything could happen.

I am sorry to say if I had to guess on sooner or later, I would have to bet on later.
    07-07-11 10:59 AM
    I see you have 3G service on at&t. Does it also support HSPA+? have you got a chance to teather it with laptop and compare the download/upload speed?
    07-07-11 11:14 AM
    The lack of wifi hotspot worries me a bit. It should be included no? And THEN the carrier can decide whether they want to restrict it or not. In Canada tethering /wifi hotspot is free, I do it with my Nexus S all the time.

Alls I know is it best be included.
    07-07-11 11:24 AM

Kinda brings me back to what in typed the other day. Release the phone and when the bugs tare spotted thatbare not spotted now release the updates. Honestly every major does this. No matter how they try it will not ever be perfect.

Plus I'm thirsty for a new device. Touch screens grew old on me awhile back. 100% touch screens that is.
    07-07-11 11:32 AM
    I'm tempted to meet with ya Greg, lol...

I work off Baymeadows & I-95 and live in WGV. But honestly, I don't think holding one in the hand so early before launch will help me be more patient for this device. ...that is, of course, if you'd let someone else touch it, hehe

But I appreciate your thread title as I'm sure others do. It says a lot for just a few words.
    07-07-11 12:43 PM
    I think they may come out in August, but late August. I just had a chance to play with my friends device again. And they have been releasing a lot of updates internally.

He mentioned that battery life is pretty good so far and only getting better. Also they get surveys and have to fill out if they think the device is ready for release, up till now he has always said no. But he said on the next survey he will say yes.

I forgot to ask about the mobile hot spot and to look for it. I was going to bridge to my playbook but he was in a hurry.

I was torn between the all touch and touch bold, after playing with it and his recommendation I now am going to go for the touch bold.
    07-07-11 12:51 PM
    I'm tempted to meet with ya Greg, lol...

I work off Baymeadows & I-95 and live in WGV. But honestly, I don't think holding one in the hand so early before launch will help me be more patient for this device. ...that is, of course, if you'd let someone else touch it, hehe

But I appreciate your thread title as I'm sure others do. It says a lot for just a few words.
    I do not know about you touching it!

We both know that any contact with the device will only increase the pain of waiting.
    07-07-11 01:26 PM
    Hey Greg,

Does the phone boot up faster than previous BB's. What is the average boot time after a battery pull/restart?
    07-07-11 01:54 PM
    Much like the 9780 except the keyboard is far better.

It may vary between units but the 9900 I am using has what I call a very "clicky and crisp" keyboard vs the softer and mushy keyboard on my 9780.

I will bet many will complain like crazy that there is a clean CLICK sound as each button is pressed. Too loud to conceal in a classroom! LOL!

I am also proud to say the keyboard has not "stuttered" a single time in my near 24 hours of use.
    Have you ever used the Blackberry Curve? do you mean that kind of clicking noise?
    07-07-11 02:11 PM
    I do not know about you touching it!

We both know that any contact with the device will only increase the pain of waiting.
    I got a demo 9930 yesterday and have to send it back to Verizon tomorrow....
    This will be a very painful Friday....

Greg, how much memory (app storage) does yours have?
    Mine says 512MB. I thought it was supposed to be 768MB???

Todd
    maevinj likes this.
    07-07-11 02:44 PM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD