The pictures dont load for me. Is it down or is my adblock plugin acting up?
    Try this URL, click on the images to increase in size: In Box Photo Gallery by Greg Gebhardt at pbase.com

Greg, Thanks for sharing all your input. I hope the one I get isn't so "clicky". I have had a fare share of my BlackBerry Smartphones to know that for some reason you get some with loud and some with soft keys even on the same models. I also agree, the stuttering keyboard needs to be fixed.

It is "chrisp and clicky" do not know any other way to describe it. I do not think any of my past RIM devices were quite this chrisp and clicky. It is not bad imo.

Also, it is to my understanding that the full software of documents to go is included with OS7. Have you been able to fool around with that yet? Plus, ummm, what free games come with it too other than the traditional Brickbreaker .[/QUOTE]

Traditional games yes, but no DTG on this unit. BUT that does not mean it will not be on the retail units. Mine is NOT a retail unit and they will differ according to the carrier's wishes.

I'm down in Tampa and even I am tempted to drive up there! lol
    I am licensed to own and carry fully automatic weapons! <vbg>

Maybe someday those of us with limited funds will be able to get a 99XX!
    How limited?

Is it just me or does it not seem that thin next to the 9000? How thick is the 9k? Sorry if this was already stated or asked, I'm driving so no time to read thru all 5 pages. But 9900 is only 1mm thick than the iphone which is too thin imo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Do not have the specs but the 9900 is WAY thinner. Just looking at the two, the 9900 is only about 2/3rds or 66% the thickness of the 9000. It makes the 9000 feel like a BEAST! It is closer to the weight of the iPhone 4 and every bit as heavy due to the glass and stainless.
    meinarson likes this.
    07-08-11 01:53 PM
    The VZW device roadmap I've seen shows the Bold 9330 at the "end of July".
    I assume a typo :P and say 9930 end of July

and MAN I hope you are right! and I REALLY Hope AT&T comes out End of July too since I'll be in the US and I want one of these devices!
    07-08-11 01:55 PM
    The VZW device roadmap I've seen shows the Bold 9330 at the "end of July".
    Any way of posting a copy of the "roadmap you've seen" (like a screen capture, etc.) ?
    07-08-11 02:29 PM
    i cant wait to get this but that video of the reboot time was kinda painful....

MORE PICS MORE PICS....the chant goes on...more pics, more pics
    07-08-11 03:54 PM
    I went months without rebooting my 9780. When I did I would reboot it, drop it in my holster and go about my business. Never really watched on concentrated on how long it took, plenty of other things to do.
    07-08-11 04:29 PM
    Is the camera button on the side one of the two-stage variety?

Also, if you could take some shots with the back open and maybe even with the battery out it would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is a little risqu�- I don't mean to be crass.
    07-08-11 06:49 PM
    how is the battery life compared to the 9780? better. worse, same?

thats my biggest concern, my 9650 has to have a seidio 2600 battery in it most of the time.
    07-08-11 09:31 PM
    I dont know how this phone is " well " worth the wait.

I still havent decided if I wanna buy this phone.

Ive had the 8900, 9000 , 9700, 9780 , Curve 3G.

I love how the phone looks, but I just cant get past the part that they just all look the same and remind me of the same phone. I guess the OS also bothers me because its gunna basically look the same also.

The phone doesnt have 4G , and for most people who get these phones, they only have 1 phone for 2 years. 4G ( or whatever u wanna call it ) is here now and i just feel this phone will be obsolete within 6 months. Add to the fact theres no front facing cam which most phones are starting to have and only a 5 megapixil camera when most phones are starting to have 8. I feel this phone is a year late.

Also I cant help but notice a big reason why ive kept my blackberries over the years is because of BBM, and Im losing contacts every week now and its becoming nothing. Everyone I know who had blackberry is leaving blackberry. I also have Liveprofile now which is kinda like bbm but all my friends with iphone and android are also on it.

Im still on the fence with this and will probably wait until I have it in my hand and decide. Cant lie though , ive been with blackberry a very long time , and im starting to think its time for a change.

Well see though
    Last edited by Italiannyc; 07-08-11 at 10:27 PM.
    07-08-11 09:52 PM

I love how the phone looks, but I just cant get past the part that they just all look the same and remind me of the same phone. I guess the OS also bothers me because its gunna basically look the same also.

The phone doesnt have 4G , and for most people who get these phones, they only have 1 phone for 2 years. 4G ( or whatever u wanna call it ) is here now and i just feel this phone will be obsolete within 6 months. Add to the fact theres no front facing cam which most phones are starting to have and only a 5 megapixil camera when most phones are starting to have 8. I feel this phone is a year late.
    With the exception of the part about BBM, this post is a good example of why this phone is not made for some people. Although IMO the 9900's aesthetics have been updated reasonably to make for a modern look between the thin profile and stainless steel bezel, this device is definitely NOT for people who are concerned about how different this device looks from their last device, because it intentionally mimics the design of the 9000; a much beloved, dependable older device.

This device is a response to (specific) consumer demand for something familiar and dependable with an updated spin: the mother of all Blackberries (the 9000) rehatched with an added touch screen for ultimate usability. It is not for people who require the highest specs for the sake of having the highest available. 4G does not have the kinks worked out, and RIM seems unwilling to put out a 4G device until 4G networks are more widespread and the battery consumption of 4G has been addressed.

Also, camera pixel specs actually have little to do with the quality of pictures the device takes; in the sense that a greater number of pixels does not guarantee a higher quality photo. Granted, I am sure there are many devices out there with a better camera than the 9900, but that again is beside the point.

The point is that RIM appears uncomfortable with pushing the envelope, because pushing the envelope can entail consequences that RIM is not ready to face, as doing so would compromise what is RIM's bread and butter: producing secure, dependable, productive, efficient devices. This post is kind of a response to an overarching complaint with the 9900 that I believe is somewhat unwarranted, as I believe the 9900 was never advertised or intended as an envelope-pusher, because it is not. Everything I have seen paints a picture of something that is current; on par spec-wise with other devices of the current timeframe but not setting any new industry firsts, or being ahead of its time. It has improvements over previous versions that are aimed at making the device desirable to the same people whose needs were sufficiently met by the last version. It does what Blackberries do, but more efficiently. Expecting any more of it would be taking the device out of its presented context.

It's hard for any phone not to feel outdated in six months, specifically because manufacturers and developers are constantly pushing the standard further and further: throwing in more processors, phones getting bigger, faster, etc. RIM is not the company to do that. Here, it seems like they are trying to compete by means of using current technology to produce an all-around very usable device.

Now, do I think RIM needs to move a long a little faster to stay afloat in this economy? Yes. What I've written here is not a defense of RIM's notorious snail's pace. It's just an observation that the 9900 won't be the one to break the mold, and why (with this device) they're not trying to.

*To italiannyc, this post is not really directed at you. It's actually something I've been thinking about which is why I have so much to say about it, mostly in response to reviews or youtube video comments that just paint the 9900 as a dinosaur before it comes out. I just think they're missing the point about who the 9900 is marketed toward.
    07-09-11 12:24 AM
    I agree mthomps07 with many points you make. Blackberries in general are not for everyone.

The problem with RIM not trying to push the envelope is that they are afraid but they are in a losing game by not doing so. Their market share is dropping like crazy. WHY NOT push the envelope? Soon they will be left with only loyal users and even then a lot of loyal members are leaving.

And yes any phone will age quickly within 6 months. I do feel Blackberries age a lot better than Androids perhaps. iPhone and Blackberries age well because hardware is not frequently released like Android and hardware only comes from one maker.
    07-09-11 12:30 AM
    I agree mthomps07 with many points you make. Blackberries in general are not for everyone.

The problem with RIM not trying to push the envelope is that they are afraid but they are in a losing game by not doing so. Their market share is dropping like crazy. WHY NOT push the envelope? Soon they will be left with only loyal users and even then a lot of loyal members are leaving.
    I agree. The cell phone industry right now is all about the specs race, because that's what the consumers are calling for, or what the uninformed are told that they should want. I don't want to turn this into a thread about "RIM is going to die or get bought out/RIM is dead", but I think they need to hurry up on the QNX full touch phone to try to do what everyone else is doing with dual core/big bright touch screen, just to keep up.

But my point is that this isn't what the 9900 is about. They are catering this device toward the person that doesn't care about the numbers comparison to other devices, but instead asks "does this device consistently do what I need it to at the rate that I need it to, and can I reasonably expect it to function up to my standards for a long time to be?"

The problem (for RIM) with the cell phone market right now is that people's demands are not static (or even gradually rising) like they used to be. They shoot up with every forward step in technology, even if the step is incremental. Personally, I have a certain set of demands for a device that will be the same tomorrow even if a new device comes out that can do more. After a year or two, yeah it's time for an update. On the other hand, many consumers these days will change their demands based on that new phone that comes out tomorrow, even if yesterday their phone was just fine for them. To a certain extent, RIM must address this change in demands if they expect to be successful. The 9900 is not the device to do this because it is more about the entire experience than a single spec, and it doesn't have specs that necessarily wow you off the bat.
    07-09-11 12:41 AM
    Is the camera button on the side one of the two-stage variety?

Also, if you could take some shots with the back open and maybe even with the battery out it would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is a little risqu�- I don't mean to be crass.
    I am sorry but I can not take the back off and post images, I was told NOT to do so. I also have not used the side button to take the image only to start the camera. This side button has options for it to do many other functions. The images are just like the 9780 which IMO were pretty good for the lens.

how is the battery life compared to the 9780? better. worse, same?

thats my biggest concern, my 9650 has to have a seidio 2600 battery in it most of the time.
    After having this unit for several days, I find the battery to be very simular to the 9780, no better or worst. I come home with a minumum of 65% power remaining each day. This does not tell you what you would get but only compares this device to the 9780. This device will have more than enough power for the average user, even above user! For those who it will still not be good enough, Sedieo will make a HUGE HONKER battery for you! You just got to find a battery cover to replace the OEM. Not me the OEM cover is near a work of art!

I still havent decided if I wanna buy this phone.

Ive had the 8900, 9000 , 9700, 9780 , Curve 3G.

Also I cant help but notice a big reason why ive kept my blackberries over the years is because of BBM, and Im losing contacts every week now and its becoming nothing. Everyone I know who had blackberry is leaving blackberry. I also have Liveprofile now which is kinda like bbm but all my friends with iphone and android are also on it.

Im still on the fence with this and will probably wait until I have it in my hand and decide. Cant lie though , ive been with blackberry a very long time , and im starting to think its time for a change.

Well see though
    What do you expect the 9900 to be!

You can not compare it to other phones. It is a Blackberry. The 9900 is basically a 9000 in form factor with even a better build quality and updated specs. I also use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and side by side the S2 is like for the future. It even dwarfs my iPhone 4 in capabilities.

The 9000 was a MOST well loved Blackberry and the 9900 will be a home run for RIM!

If you are looking for the latest bleeding cutting edge devices, you are in the wrong forum!
    badger906 and sleepngbear like this.
    07-09-11 06:11 AM
    Hi Gregg,

Can you tell me if you've gotten that loading clock while scrolling through the menus and listening to music at the same time?? What about browsing heavy sites and listening to music?? Any lag at all?? Thanks ahead.

07-09-11 06:25 AM
    Hi Gregg,

Can you tell me if you've gotten that loading clock while scrolling through the menus and listening to music at the same time?? What about browsing heavy sites and listening to music?? Any lag at all?? Thanks ahead.

I am sorry but I have not listened to music, have not even put any on. My iTouch does too good for me.

I suspect the problem you have had is a lack of CPU of which the 9900 does not suffer from. BUT, I can not answer your question but someone here might.
    07-09-11 06:28 AM
    I focus more on functionality than whether the newest Blackberry has side cameras and smell-o-vision. Though those things would be groovy. If they existed.

I wish that the 9900 had 4G, because thats clearly where things are headed, but in just about all other respects the 9900 is what I need. Larger - and hopefully more user friendly - keyboard than the 9700, faster processor, larger screen, thinner, etc. And GPS for google maps. Internet functionality has never been BB's forte and I'd definitely like to see some improvement there, but I'll certainly be buying a 9900. Can't wait. Especially since my 9700 intermittantly - and incorrectly - believes that a headphone is plugged in.
    BekNazar likes this.
    07-09-11 07:01 AM
    Greg, how is the browsing experience. Can you read articles with ease using the browser. Since you have used an iphone as well. How much better is reading articles on the browser.

I loved the column view in OS5. I don't personally like the OS 6 browser. Hopefully 9900 brings the best of the larger screen and browser experience. Appreciate any input. thanks!

I am sorry but I have not listened to music, have not even put any on. My iTouch does too good for me.

I suspect the problem you have had is a lack of CPU of which the 9900 does not suffer from. BUT, I can not answer your question but someone here might.
    07-09-11 07:35 AM
    I really hope that the Bold 9900 does it for me. My 9700 has lasted me almost two years now.

I don't care about apps I just want the following:

- Liquid smooth lag free os like WP7 and iOS
    - Super fast and smooth browser like in iOS and WP7 (no lag while scrolling up and down and pinch to zoom)
    - Ability to listen to music, browse the web and receive\send messages\emails without any lag or that clock showing
    - Shoot descent pictures and videos

Can you make this dream happen RIM???

Last edited by Vedran; 07-09-11 at 07:55 AM.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-09-11 07:49 AM
    I do not think they will be out in 30 days, in this case. Finding this one was like looking for hen's teeth. I am still thinking September or later but then I know that RIM is putting the pressure on everyone to get this device delivered so I think anything could happen.

I am sorry to say if I had to guess on sooner or later, I would have to bet on later.
    Everyone's going to hate me for saying this, lol. Later might be a bit better for me since I am only due for an upgrade in Nov. As much as I want to have one of these NOW I don't want to pay more that I have to. Don't get me wrong, though. I WILL have one.
    07-09-11 10:32 AM
    Greg, how is the browsing experience. Can you read articles with ease using the browser. Since you have used an iphone as well. How much better is reading articles on the browser.

I loved the column view in OS5. I don't personally like the OS 6 browser. Hopefully 9900 brings the best of the larger screen and browser experience. Appreciate any input. thanks!
    For me the larger the screen the better for reading article and doing the Internet. I still like my iPhone 4 for that. The 9900 is actually smoother than the iPhone4 but with the smaller screen, you have to pan and magnify on many of the pages. I just do not use my device to do this on the Internet and prefer my iPad 3G.

Everyone's going to hate me for saying this, lol. Later might be a bit better for me since I am only due for an upgrade in Nov. As much as I want to have one of these NOW I don't want to pay more that I have to. Don't get me wrong, though. I WILL have one.

I understand. Getting one from the carrier would be much cheaper.
    07-09-11 11:39 AM
    I do not think they will be out in 30 days, in this case. Finding this one was like looking for hen's teeth. I am still thinking September or later but then I know that RIM is putting the pressure on everyone to get this device delivered so I think anything could happen.
    One thing to bear in mind with dates is that at&t are probably going to ship the torch 2 first so they might be slightly behind with this one.
    07-09-11 11:57 AM
    Kinda brings me back to what in typed the other day. Release the phone and when the bugs tare spotted thatbare not spotted now release the updates. Honestly every major does this. No matter how they try it will not ever be perfect.
    The problem is that Rim can't afford to risk throwing something over the wall before it is ready as the bloggers etc. are just too eager to pounce on them, also while one device may work fine in isolation they will be doing much more widespread testing and will know if a device is ready rather than seeming to be ready e.g. the iphone 4 had 1% or so more dropped calls than the 3gs and to an individual that would be fine, but taken across the model as a whole that would cause concerns to Rim if these models didn't match or beat the previous ones.
    07-09-11 12:01 PM
    What do you mean by not in the first release? Do you mean if you buy one of the phones produced in say the first 6 months that it won't have it?
    Mobile hotspot is more of a software feature, but it would require additional certification tests so if they were having problems with it then it might have got bumped out of the launch software and would be added as a patch when carriers do their first maintenance release in a couple of months or so.
    m23haz likes this.
    07-09-11 12:05 PM
    I wish that the 9900 had 4G, because thats clearly where things are headed, but in just about all other respects the 9900 is what I need.
    The issue with "4G" beyond the hspa+ flavour that is supported on these devices is that wimax is pretty much dead other than Sprint and LTE is hampered by it requiring an additional radio which ups costs and lowers battery life, the likes of Rim and Apple will jump on LTE when the newly announced radio chips from the likes of Qualcomm that support LTE in the same radio as hspa and cdma.
    07-09-11 12:12 PM
    One thing to bear in mind with dates is that at&t are probably going to ship the torch 2 first so they might be slightly behind with this one.
    The AT&T Torch2 WILL be delivered before the 9900.

The 9900 will be delivered at the same time the other carriers. Most will introduce the 9900 with in a few days from each other.
    07-09-11 03:01 PM
    I love how the phone looks, but I just cant get past the part that they just all look the same and remind me of the same phone. I guess the OS also bothers me because its gunna basically look the same.
    Seems to me the last 3 or 4 versions of Android are similar looking too. A bunch of icons (unless you throw on some battery munching widgets). And I was in Best Buy the other day looking at the latest stuff and nearly EVERY "high end" Android looks like a flat black slab. So I don't get that dog on the Bold either. I just see these two dogs on BB frequently and don't understand how Android has changed the look of their OS and devices any more or less than BB. And I am currently using an Android. I will be getting a 9930 as soon (if) US Cellular gets it. I made an attempt to like it. In fact I may go back to my 9650 and sell off my Android.

Last edited by hilgerone; 07-09-11 at 04:21 PM.
    m23haz and kbz1960 like this.
    07-09-11 04:00 PM
146 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD