Which one will make the most sales?
    Oh and do you think that since the torch 2 is coming out around mid august that the bold 9900 will probably come out earlier?
    07-05-11 05:33 PM
    Torch 2 = AT&T, Bold Touch = multiple carriers....
    07-05-11 05:39 PM
    the 9860 is in the hands of their reliability engineers, hopefully we have it by september if an impending buy out doesnt happen
    07-05-11 06:02 PM
    I think Torch sales will pale in comparison to the 9900 for a few reasons.

The 9900 has been officially announced and people kinda know about it. The Torch is unofficial and relatively unknown in comparison.

The 9900 is a classic and more preferred form factor for most people. You get a real keyboard with the 9900 at the cost of .4 inches of screen space (2.8 vs 3.2). No brainer in my opinion.

The 9000 is the Cadillac of BlackBerries, there's a lot of fans that have been dying for a true refresh of the Bold, and the 9900 fits that bill.

Plus the fact that the 9900 will be on multiple carriers.

As far as release dates go, your guess is as good as mine.
    07-05-11 06:13 PM
    If the torch was on multiple carriers I think it would have a decent shot of outselling the bold touch, mostly because RIMs marketing blows.

Carrier marketing on the other hand is very good.... AT&T's torch marketing was better than any marketing RIM has produced in the last 10 years combined...
    07-05-11 06:15 PM
    If the torch was on multiple carriers I think it would have a decent shot of outselling the bold touch, mostly because RIMs marketing blows.

Carrier marketing on the other hand is very good.... AT&T's torch marketing was better than any marketing RIM has produced in the last 10 years combined...
    This is very true, I was at my local ATT store today and the still have a torch display up with all 3 colorways on display. Also on the speculated release date I'm starting to belief the torch will be sooner than expected being as the original torch is now on att website for .01, to me that's their marketing to get all the old out get the new on the shelves but hey what do I know I'm just some hillbilly from kentucky

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 06:28 PM
    If the torch 2 is only going to be on at&t and the other on most all carriers I'd say no contest. Too bad the torch is going to be another at&t exclusive.
    07-05-11 06:45 PM
    don't underestimate the torch 2. its a great device in its own right.and people looking for that large screen real estate,it would be foolish to go on a small screen 9930/9900.im not saying you shouldn't but it will be hard to accept the smaller screen real estate after using the torch 1 for a period of time.other than that its up to you where you want to go.
    07-05-11 09:46 PM
    For some of us it would be foolish to go to at&t.
    07-06-11 04:40 AM
    The Torch 2 is still a Torch with a hotter processor. No doubt the Torch 2 will be a better experience than it weaker brother, but it does not change the basic hardware.

I will hold onto my 9900.
    07-06-11 06:03 AM
    The Torch 2 is still a Torch with a hotter processor. No doubt the Torch 2 will be a better experience than it weaker brother, but it does not change the basic hardware.

I will hold onto my 9900.
    when will you be making a video of your 9900

I think the 99XX will outsell 98XX numbers, the BOLD name carries more weight than that of the Torch, the durability of the Candybar form factor, will put it into more markets. AND the fact that the last Torch is less than a year old, those who purchased the Torch 1 for the form factor on contract are much less likely to break their contract to upgrade to the torch 2 since a vast majority of people keep their phone for the length of the contract, the 99XX comes as a perfect time for 9700 owners coming off contract, and 9650 owners.

even if the Torch 2 does go to every carrier, I just don't see it beating the 99XX
    07-06-11 08:08 AM
    I think the 99XX will outsell 98XX numbers, the BOLD name carries more weight than that of the Torch, the durability of the Candybar form factor, will put it into more markets. AND the fact that the last Torch is less than a year old, those who purchased the Torch 1 for the form factor on contract are much less likely to break their contract to upgrade to the torch 2 since a vast majority of people keep their phone for the length of the contract, the 99XX comes as a perfect time for 9700 owners coming off contract, and 9650 owners.
    9650 has only been out about a year. 9630 owners, like me, are the ones just coming off contract as it was released almost two years ago. If the Torch2 were offered on all carriers in the US and limited to ATurd&Turd, I'd give it a shot probably before the Bold for the larger screen. But since it probably will be an exclusive in the US, I'm torn between the Bold Touch and the All Touch. I'll have to see if a virtual keyboard on that small of a screen works for me. Playbook's is great, but the large screen helps.

Also the Torch is outselling the 9780 and 9700 for RIM worldwide still according to last conference call.
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-06-11 at 10:09 AM.
    07-06-11 10:01 AM
    9650 has only been out about a year. 9630 owners, like me, are the ones just coming off contract as it was released almost two years ago. If the Torch2 were offered on all carriers in the US and limited to ATurd&Turd, I'd give it a shot probably before the Bold for the larger screen. But since it probably will be an exclusive in the US, I'm torn between the Bold Touch and the All Touch. I'll have to see if a virtual keyboard on that small of a screen works for me. Playbook's is great, but the large screen helps.

Also the Torch is outselling the 9780 and 9700 for RIM worldwide still according to last conference call.
    The all touch looks enticing to you..? I mean hear me out.. You have a 64GB BlackBerry Playbook, why the heck do you need a 1/8th sized BlackBerry Playbook running OS7? The Bold Touch should be a no doubt for you and other PlayBook users. CrackBerry Kevin and many others of the CrackBerry team brought this point up multiple times in previous podcasts and I completely agree. Touch might be good if you do not own a BlackBerry Playbook.
    07-06-11 02:08 PM
    You still aren't going to carry a tablet everywhere that you would take your phone... And the bridging works the same regardless of what phone you use. So if you want an all touch phone with the PB, go for it.

Tablets don't replace smartphones and using the Bold Touch doesn't really change much of anything in terms of owning it with a PB...
    07-06-11 02:14 PM
    I would love to hear from someone who has used both and who is willing to share their thoughts. I can see the many benefits of the Bold Touch, but the Torch 2 has a bigger screen and other than a slightly smaller keypad I don't believe there is any substantive difference other than the form factor.

Is each as smooth as the other, how do they differ 'in the hand' and is there any difference in the speed of reaction? Which one actually looks better in the 'flesh' - a subjective viewpoint I know, but still of interest.

For the first time in a long time, there are two BlackBerries being released (on the same day?) which are worthy of great praise, so I think this comparison is very worthwhile for those who are still mulling which way to go.

Thank you!

bbb
    07-11-11 02:52 AM
    I also am trying to make this comparison I will be buying one or the other because I can't be doing with the carrier issues that I've had on my HTC HD2.
    But coming from a large screen (4.3) I feel a little nevious at the bold 9900 but again coming from the HD2 with useless keyboard (I use my computor to text) I like the larger keyboard of the bold. I have used the virtual keyboard of the torch and it's a bit small for my sausages for fingers So my guess is that for those migrating to BB from "other" like me, will go torch for screen size Bold users may upgrade but so might those coming from the symbian world who will need to upgrade to their first touch screen, like my wife.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    07-11-11 03:32 AM
    People always talk without considering global sales...if you look at RIM's growth, you can't neglect it and you should account for the fact that there are places outside NA where phones are not subsidized by your carrier but only unlocked phones (although I must admit this is getting pretty rare)
    07-11-11 03:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD