01-21-12 05:17 PM
45 12
tools
    Sorry to hijack this thread, I am in need of super quick answers please:
    I have fallen out of love with my 9860; I never realised how much I hated typing on a touch screen. And the abysmal battery life. Having previously had a 9700 I LOVED the battery life and small things like easily searching for names or general web search from the home screen-the touch screen in the 9860 was a pain!

So which one has the better battery, the 9810 or the 9900? I read mostly good reviews about the battery on the 9810 while, except for this thread, mostly bad ones about the 9900 battery.
    Last edited by vbnmu; 11-08-11 at 04:30 AM.
    11-08-11 04:04 AM
    My 9810 has pretty good battery life, and I've never had to plug it in part way through the day. Unplug at 6:00 am, plug in at 11:00pm, battery never below 30%, even on a heavy (for me) day of use. An hour or less of browsing, 50+ texts, 50+ BBM, maybe an hour or so actually talking on the phone. I love this phone.
    11-08-11 09:41 AM
    I know from using both the 9810 and the 9900 that I tend to prefer the 9900 any day of the week over the 9810. The keyboard alone make this choice easy, add in the feel of the phone and the thinness and its a no brainer for me.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I am in need of super quick answers please:
    I have fallen out of love with my 9860; I never realised how much I hated typing on a touch screen. And the abysmal battery life. Having previously had a 9700 I LOVED the battery life and small things like easily searching for names or general web search from the home screen-the touch screen in the 9860 was a pain!

So which one has the better battery, the 9810 or the 9900? I read mostly good reviews about the battery on the 9810 while, except for this thread, mostly bad ones about the 9900 battery.
    Battery life on the 9810 is noticably better than my 9900. I can always get through two full days of moderate to heavy use with the 9810, but at the end of the day with my 9900 I have about 40% battery life with the same use (taking off charge 8am putting on charge around midnight).
    11-08-11 10:17 AM
    I had the 9650 when I was with Sprint and really the form factor and the phone in general. Had to switch carriers because of the service and all att had to offer with os6 was the 9800. So I got it and it took sometime for m to get used to it. A few months later Got the 9810 and the phone is a big upgrade compared to the 9800. I grew to like it BUT what I didnt care for was the touchscreen was hard to type on and didnt care to slideout the keyboard everytime i needed to rip off a message. It was still a very nice device BUT I knew the 9900 was coming and that was the phone I could not stop thinking about lol! Well I got it Sunday and It is hands down the best BB I've ever owned! The Keyboard is unreal! the 9810 keyboard is cramped. It seems faster to me than my 9810, batttery life is very similar a whole day easy. The phone is thin even with a otterbox commuter compared to the 9810 any case you put on adds bulk and its already thick with it being a slider. Screen size i prefer the 9900 just because its wider and the 9810 you always have to turn it sideways just for it to fit the screen gets old. All that said I would choose the 9900 easily! The phone is the best looking and the keyboards is hands down the best.
    11-08-11 11:21 AM
    I know from using both the 9810 and the 9900 that I tend to prefer the 9900 any day of the week over the 9810. The keyboard alone make this choice easy, add in the feel of the phone and the thinness and its a no brainer for me.

Battery life on the 9810 is noticably better than my 9900. I can always get through two full days of moderate to heavy use with the 9810, but at the end of the day with my 9900 I have about 40% battery life with the same use (taking off charge 8am putting on charge around midnight).
    2 full days on the 9810 really??? How? I always have to recharge after a day. I've had both and the batt life in identical. I dont stream just bbm,email,and surf the web occasionally. I prefer the 9900.
    11-08-11 11:24 AM
    I am on the fence w 9900 and 9810...my 9780 is great and i just sold my i4...got tired of email delays w large pdf's and dropped calls on att.

Does your 9810 drop alot of calls on att?
    With the BB, emails with large PDFs just get truncated.

Back on topic, get the 9900. The keyboard is awesome and the screen is great. Keyboard on the 9810 is total crap in comparison and if you care about having a decent camera on your phone, you are looking in the wrong place (i4 is much better).
    11-08-11 11:32 AM
    So, as I had to make a decision today, I went for the....9810!
    I tried the 9900 in a tmob shop and I agree that the keypad is out of this world good. But battery life was essential and as there's been so many complaints about the 9900 batt I chose the 9810!
    I hope I don't live to regret it. Either way, It can't be any worse than the 9860!
    11-08-11 12:01 PM
    I tried the 9900 in a tmob shop and I agree that the keypad is out of this world good. But battery life was essential and as there's been so many complaints about the 9900 batt I chose the 9810!
    I hope I don't live to regret it. Either way, It can't be any worse than the 9860!
    I've had both and the Battery life is the same! I'm going on 6 hrs and I'm @85%
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    11-08-11 12:06 PM

Honestly, most people reporting bad battery life did not update to the latest OS build and do a battery drain. That has drastically changed things. My battery lasts me through the day, and this is coming from someone who uses 9,000 minutes and 5,000 texts/emails a month...
    11-08-11 12:07 PM

Honestly, most people reporting bad battery life did not update to the latest OS build and do a battery drain. That has drastically changed things. My battery lasts me through the day, and this is coming from someone who uses 9,000 minutes and 5,000 texts/emails a month...
    You're on the phone 5 hours every day? I wouldn't wish such a fate on anyone.

Jranciano is correct though, most awful battery stories are outliers. The normal battery life of the 9900 is about par with previous blackberries, 97xx notwithstanding
    11-08-11 12:58 PM
    I recently purchased the 9810 from AT&T and had the 9700 before. While I like the 9810 I also like the candybar style of the 9900. I would like to hear from users that have purchased both and which phone they ended up with and why. I'm not looking to compare camera and video, I'm more interested in overall use. I have 30 days to use this phone before I have to return or keep and wanted to get feedback from folks that have used both.

Below are some of the items I would like feedback on:
    - Is there much noticable difference in screen size
    - Battery life between the two
    - Pocketability
    - Speed of typing on the keyboards

and other things that may be of help.

Thanks!!
    I took the plunge from my 6-week-old 9810 to the 9900. And I'm loving it. My only real issue with the 9810 was the cramped keyboard; otherwise it really performed flawlessly. But I found I missed the big keyboard of Bold, so I had to give it a shot. And I'm glad I did.

To answer your questions:

- Is there much noticable difference in screen size
    Yes and no. Yes, you can see that it is physically smaller; but in actual use, the difference is surprisingly barely noticeable. It is the one reason I thought I would have preferred the 9810, but it has turned out to be a total non-issue.

- Battery life between the two
    Today is my the second full day of use, after several battery pulls yesterday for software installs and that kind of crap. Ended the day yesterday with 40% battery remaining. Not bad. Right now, 6 hours out of the charger, I'm sitting at 80%, which is very close to where I'd be with the 9810 with the same kind of usage.

- Pocketability
    The phone is seriously slim, but solid feeling without being a slab of lead. Feels lighter than the Torch. I normally carry it in a belt holster, but occasionally in a leather pouch in my pocket, and because of its thinness it is very pocketable.

- Speed of typing on the keyboards
    Ahh ... the coup de gras. I can fly on this keyboard, where I would struggle with the Torch's. I don't have huge hands, but I never really did get completely comfortable with the Torch's cramped keys. I was instantly at home on the 9900's. One of our very fine lady members here called typing on her 9930 'orgasmic'; I'd have to concur, as I really had an urge for a cigarette after composing my first message on this thing ... and I don't smoke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 11-08-11 at 01:23 PM.
    dadymon likes this.
    11-08-11 01:17 PM
    i have both (9810 and 9900), and had the 9800 before that.
    the best thing i like about the 9810 is the location of the mute button, comes in handy during the long conf calls I take on the device
    the 9900 feels better in the pocket and is a lot faster and has a much better battery life
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    11-08-11 01:25 PM

Arghhhh...and I only managed to change it after a long long long process with Vodafone. But credit to them for exchanging the handset almost a month after I took the contract. There is no way they will do it once more. Gonna have to stick with the 9810! Either way, anything is better than the 9860!
    11-08-11 03:14 PM
    Coles notes version. Can't decide between 9810 and the 9900. Loved my once fast 9000 but on some days now I spend more time looking at the timer then doing anything.

Long winded version

I'm trying to decide between these two phones and its driving me crazy. I can do an early upgrade now and really feel I need to upgrade.

I had a Palm Treo before moving to Blackberry and the 9900 is what I wanted in a Blackberry phone. The 9000 was as close as I could get but I missed the touch screen. After the Torch came out I decided that it would be my next phone. Then they roll out the 9900.

What excites me about the Touch is the screen. Not sure how I will really feel about the keyboard till I use it a bit. My brother and brother in law both have 9800's. My brother said the 9810 is what the 9800 should have been spec wise. Other then that he likes it but might switch to the 9900 when he upgrades because he doesn't surf too much so he doesn't feel he needs the big screen as much as he thought he would.

The 9900 is my dream Blackberry, I love (used to at least) my 9000 but still miss the touch screen after almost 2 years. I used to press the screen of the 9000 forgetting its not a touch. I started doing that again after getting the Playbook.

Speaking of the Playbook, i take that anywhere i can so if i need a large screen then I can just jump on this. But I won't always have it with me. Right now its easy to fit in the pockets of my winter coats, in the summer that won't be the case.

One issue i have with the 9000 is that my once fast phone shows that black clock/timer when I'm trying to do something and its driving me nuts. Sometimes it will come up.for each keystroke. I also get the screen telling me I need more space and asking me to delete apps. I'm only running some basic apps so I don't understand how this is a problem.

I believe someone told me before that apps have their own space on a Blackberry so its limited. Is this still the case and if so is there any different in the size between the 9810 and the 9900?

Finding out the screen on the 9900 is larger then my 9000 has made it even harder. Maybe I need to download the Magic 8 ball app to help me decided.

James
    01-21-12 09:33 AM

I can vouch for the battery drain. I got horrible life on 7.1.190 until I decided to wipe and re-install. installed all my apps manually and only restored my contacts. I then let the battery drain completely and gave it a full charge. Battery life, although not great, is much much better now.

01-21-12 11:04 AM
    Having owned 6 berries including a 8310, 9000, 9700, and the 9800 and now the 9810 and the 9900, both the 9810 and the 9900 are both great devices and the choice is solely up to the OP based upon how well each device meets their needs.

For a smartphone, the keyboard while a significant consideration is not the deal-breaker that some make it out to be. The 9000 was my favorite one but having had a 8310 and the 9700, it was not huge transition. if you prefer crisp key response on a decent sized keyboard. then the 9810 will do the job. While the 9900 has a larger size, the play in the key response seems a bit mushy yet is a joy to use.

From a battery life perspective, both the 9810 and the 9900 have great battery life that have held up very well through moderate to heavy use. I would have to give th edge to the 9900 which is my work phone. Both devices have the BeAlert to let me know what apps are open yet the 9810 has more apps installed. Both the devices have the most recent AT&T official OS releases and similar batteries. I keep the screen brightness on both devices to 30%.

Screen real estate goes to the 9810. While both devices are touchscreens. the larger size makes browsing and messaging a bit easier on the eyes. With the slider closed, you can view the screen and type on a virtual keyboard in both portrait and landscape. If you have movies on your phone, watching movies is more enjoyable. Screen icons are larger.

Browser and processors are comparable.

The 9810 has an auto-focus while the 9900 lacks this feature yet has NFC capability. Otherwise, the cameras also are not deal-breakers.

Call quality, IMO, goes to the 9810.

Build quality is also comparable.

The 9810 has not suffered from the bricking issue that has been more prominent with the 9900. I have had my 9900 since the AT&T launch with no issues with overnight charging on a device that has been turned off.

From a form factor perspective, it all comes down to a slider versus a bar form. The 9810 has a much improved slider mechanism over the 9800 and is more streamlined with a bit of thickness. The 9900 while thinner is wider and not as streamlined. Since I holster both devices, I can't speak to pocketability but I would imagine that the 9810 would be easier.

i have my 9810 in a Seidio Surface case while the 9900 is in an OB Commuter case.

At the end of the day, all the opinions and reviews are helpful but cannot replace personal testing and research.
    01-21-12 03:35 PM
    All this talk about the 9810 makes me want to go and buy one. I have enough phones as it is damnit.

Motoc Iahim likes this.
    01-21-12 04:20 PM
    i just returned my 9810 to att and got a 9900. the keyboard on the torch is awkward. and often too lazy, i dont flip it up. so virtually there is not even a keyboard.

the 9810 does not have NFC antenna installed.

the 9810 weighs a lot heavier than the 9900

the battery time is slightly better on the 9810.
    01-21-12 04:27 PM
    NFC is such an overrated feature as it is not in great use.
    01-21-12 05:06 PM
    I've owned both of those devices. For a brief history I had the 9000-9800-9810- and 9900.
    To answer your questions here are my views

Kb is much better on the 9900 but their is a vurtual kb that is nice on the torch.

Screen size is much better on the Torch, and has a few more options on it vs the bold.

I've tried holsters and just stuffing it in my pocket. They are both comparable in that regards.

Speed - my 9810 was faster but take that with a grain of salt because I'm now running 7.1 vs 7.0 and I think that is why there is a slight difference.

From a day to day productivity and fun I think the torch has a slight advantage because of the extra screen space but I kept the bold because it is damn sexy and has a great keyboard.
    01-21-12 05:17 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD