This morning I noticed that my Bold was turned af during the night (charging). I tried to turn it on, the trackpad lit up, the led indicator turned red...and then eveything went dark again. I tried to turn it on several times and it kept happening. After a battery-pull it boted like supposed to. I've had a lot of problems with the 9900 already, after a firmware update it ran pretty good for over a week. Should I be worried because of this morning?
    11-23-11 01:07 AM
    You, my friend, have experienced the infamous BB 7 bricking.
    mssca and BarryBaas like this.
    11-23-11 01:37 AM
    11-23-11 01:42 AM

Oh noooeesss!!

Before I installed a newer firmware T-Mobile was about to send me a (refurbished) 9900. It was cancelled yesterday, should I insist they swap devices anyway? Or is this not a biggy?
    11-23-11 01:45 AM
    I'd swap it if I could. It may be overkill, but you know the device you have is susceptible. You have a 50/50 chance the next one may not brick itself.
    11-23-11 01:50 AM
    I'd swap it if I could. It may be overkill, but you know the device you have is susceptible. You have a 50/50 chance the next one may not brick itself.
    I'm just worried I will get a device from the same batch, wich would be just as horrible as this one. So if this was a one time thing, I'd rather stick to this one.

Maybe I'll wait for 7.1 and do like my GF did this week... walk away from BB and hug iPhone
    Last edited by BarryBaas; 11-23-11 at 02:10 AM.
    11-23-11 01:57 AM
    I thought the whole bricking 'thing' included a java message of sorts?

My friend got her 'java' message yesterday, and AT&T swapped her BlackBerry. It is rather concerning to wake up to a smartphone that is OFF, albeit the battery is not dead!
    11-23-11 05:20 AM
    I suggest everyone do a backup often.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-23-11 05:35 AM
    Call me pedantic if you want, but actually, no you haven't. The infamous bricking involves the device getting locked into an unbreakable cycle of turning itself on and off at 10 second intervals, from which there is no known method of recovery. What you have experienced is the rather more common (but still alarming) infamous nuking, which often, but not always, throws up a JVM error and from which it is possible to revive the phone by pulling the battery (as in your case) or by reloading the latest OS.

The difference is important because if, as RIM is now suggesting, the problem is software-related, there should be no reason to suspect that a device which nukes itself is likely to repeat the process if you do completely reload a new OS from scratch.

Of course it's true that this shouldn't happen, that you shouldn't as a consumer have to reload the software, etc etc. But bear in mind that if you return your device and get a replacement, most of the replacement devices will be refurbished units on which your carrier has reloaded the OS just as you would do yourself, so you aren't any better off than you would be taking matters into your own hands.

Believe me, as someone who has a bricked 9900 on my desk, you'll appreciate the difference if it happens to you. Bricked devices are stone dead and no one has yet figured out how to revive them.
    BarryBaas likes this.
    11-23-11 05:48 AM
    Call me pedantic if you want, but actually, no you haven't. The infamous bricking involves the device getting locked into an unbreakable cycle of turning itself on and off at 10 second intervals, from which there is no known method of recovery. What you have experienced is the rather more common (but still alarming) infamous nuking, which often, but not always, throws up a JVM error and from which it is possible to revive the phone by pulling the battery (as in your case) or by reloading the latest OS.

The difference is important because if, as RIM is now suggesting, the problem is software-related, there should be no reason to suspect that a device which nukes itself is likely to repeat the process if you do completely reload a new OS from scratch.

Of course it's true that this shouldn't happen, that you shouldn't as a consumer have to reload the software, etc etc. But bear in mind that if you return your device and get a replacement, most of the replacement devices will be refurbished units on which your carrier has reloaded the OS just as you would do yourself, so you aren't any better off than you would be taking matters into your own hands.

Believe me, as someone who has a bricked 9900 on my desk, you'll appreciate the difference if it happens to you. Bricked devices are stone dead and no one has yet figured out how to revive them.

Oke, thank you for clearing some things up. One thing, this time I booted it by doing a battery pull. If I install the new firmware found in this section, it might not occur a next time?
    11-23-11 06:47 AM
    Oke, thank you for clearing some things up. One thing, this time I booted it by doing a battery pull. If I install the new firmware found in this section, it might not occur a next time?
    It might, but as I said above there's no reason why it should if the root problem is software-related. The overwhelming majority of 9900/9930 users haven't experienced nuking or bricking - or have taken the view that if a battery pull restores the device (and they haven't lost their data in the process) this isn't any different than rebooting a PC and it doesn't strike them as anything particularly sinister.
    11-23-11 08:11 AM
    It might, but as I said above there's no reason why it should if the root problem is software-related. The overwhelming majority of 9900/9930 users haven't experienced nuking or bricking - or have taken the view that if a battery pull restores the device (and they haven't lost their data in the process) this isn't any different than rebooting a PC and it doesn't strike them as anything particularly sinister.
    Yes, if I didn't have the 9700 before I got the 9900 I wouldn't be worried either. I stuck with BlackBerry because of the great experiences I've had with the 9700.

I sure hope that you are right, that the nuking is a software problem. That would mean, in theory, RIM can fix this with an update. I told myself I would not ever give them the benefit of the doubt... but it seems I have no choice for now.

I will install the Turkcell release this week an pray I never a nuked 9900 again!
    11-23-11 08:43 AM
    May we know what OS version you are running? This will help some of us on quest to find the cause. LOL
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-23-11 08:48 AM
    May we know what OS version you are running? This will help some of us on quest to find the cause. LOL
    7.0 bundel 1948 (v7.0.0.439 platform for 5.0.0.610)
    Chrisy and mssca like this.
    11-23-11 08:54 AM
    Try .540, mine has run perfectly from day one. The day I got it, I updated to .503, then .540 the day that one came out (within days I think). Backing up every day is probably not such a bad plan though.
    joju58 and BarryBaas like this.
    11-23-11 10:12 AM
    7.0 bundel 1948 (v7.0.0.439 platform for 5.0.0.610)
    I would exchange this phone for a new one. But if you want to try it out, try the newest version of the OS by wiping out the device by deleting all the OS files and then installing the new version of the OS and reloading it.
    BarryBaas likes this.
    11-23-11 08:22 PM
    Try .540, mine has run perfectly from day one. The day I got it, I updated to .503, then .540 the day that one came out (within days I think). Backing up every day is probably not such a bad plan though.
    I would exchange this phone for a new one. But if you want to try it out, try the newest version of the OS by wiping out the device by deleting all the OS files and then installing the new version of the OS and reloading it.
    Thanks! I'll try the newer firmware this week. I try to make back-ups daily, but when I install a newer firmware I only restore my messages and other settings, not my apps. Just a bit worried i'll back-up a corrupt app and restore to my clean install.
    11-24-11 06:24 AM
    happened to me this morning
    11-24-11 10:04 AM
    Barry and siopow what OS were you guys on?

Nvm, Barry was .610?
    11-24-11 04:41 PM
    The power off issue has now happened to me twice with my 2nd AT&T 9900 running 440/680 while charging overnight in the docking cradle.

Last night while in the charger, screen dimmed, I touched the screen to see if it was 'alive' and it was.

I overslept 3 hours this morning as the alarm did not go off because the BB had fully shutdown. I had to do a battery pull to fix.

I wonder if I am on the brink of another brick

I have been a loyal BB user for about 6 years. My frustration level has been building at RIM and am approaching my patience limits with RIM. A vomitting emoticon would be useful now.
    12-13-11 12:53 PM
    I Had my Bold 9900 4 months, in the beginning it was working fine. after 2 months the phone has started bricking itself after overnight charging or after a low battery drop and than trying to charge. It has Bricked 5 Times and I revived it with different methods. Spending Long hours and some times nights. But now It is Dead. Does not want to start Up at all. Laying on my Desk here.
    02-28-12 06:58 AM
    I Had my Bold 9900 4 months, in the beginning it was working fine. after 2 months the phone has started bricking itself after overnight charging or after a low battery drop and than trying to charge. It has Bricked 5 Times and I revived it with different methods. Spending Long hours and some times nights. But now It is Dead. Does not want to start Up at all. Laying on my Desk here.
    Yeah, we got the message in the other 4 identical posts in other threads ........
    02-28-12 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD