I just returned from a cruise to the Caribbean. Stopped in Jamaica and Mexico. I was able to connect to open Wifi while in both countries and had no trouble surfing, etc. However I switched my phone to Wifi calling only and the radio wouldn't connect to Wifi calling. It stayed on "OFF". I also tried Wifi preferred and that did not work either.

I tried one Wifi hotspot in Jamaica (at a restaurant that advertises Wifi for guests) and two in Mexico (one at a restaurant and another at a hotel).

Sure its possible their connection was not sufficient to allow the handshake, but I'm suspecting this new Wifi calling may have some additional limitations over UMA.

Previously I never had trouble using UMA on my 8900 while out of country to call back home for FREE. Have those days ended?
    12-19-11 06:29 PM
    If this shall be thing of the past then it is bad news. I guess I will be carrying my 9700 still when I travel overseas. Did you have a chance to try SMS? SMS on WiFi on TMO is free overseas too.
    12-19-11 07:41 PM
    Not sure about SMS. I did send a few, but I'm not sure if I was on wifi at the time.

I had no trouble with downloading VVM and browsing web while on wifi.
    12-19-11 09:03 PM
    Try again on an official release. ; )
    12-20-11 12:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD