I've always had tethering on my line. Today I attempted to tether with my 9900 through BDS and it redirected me to a page saying I need to add the mobile HotSpot feature for 14.99.

I remembered from the days of manual configuration that the initialization string in the phone and modem options was "wap.voicestream.com." When using BDS to configure mobile internet, it uses pcweb.tmobile.com or something like that. I changed it back to wap.voicestream.com and am now able to use the internet just fine.

Anyone have any insight on this? Was this an oversight by T-Mobile and have they really made it so HotSpot feature is required just to use the BB as a modem? Did I discover an exploit? Or am I incurring some kind of charge with this modification?
    Last edited by photekxl; 06-22-12 at 04:55 PM.
    06-22-12 04:03 PM
    It would be hard to accuse you of stealing something you are paying for.
    06-22-12 06:23 PM
    Search is your friend. Search the forums and find the answer to all your problems...I did.
    06-22-12 07:08 PM
    Search is your friend. Search the forums and find the answer to all your problems...I did.
    I did search. While it turned up many tethering threads, none were related to this.
    06-25-12 12:07 PM
    photekxl can you tell me where exactly you set the wap.voicestream.com on BDS? and does it still work?
    07-16-12 09:49 AM
    Never mind, I found it. Hopefully this will work for a while. THANKS!

For anyone else possibly asking the same question, you set it in the blackberry desktop software under tools menu, mobile internet settings, "add" a new item, enter wap.voicestream.com as access point, leaving the rest blank.
    I also set it up for Bluetooth tethering and life is sweet again. Just really hope they don't take it out any time soon.
    07-16-12 03:42 PM
    Whow this works for me. Feels like i am doing something illegal because in my country i have to pay for using the hotspot feature. Am i?
    07-16-12 08:01 PM
    What about the hotspot feature on the 9900? I've tried numerous times but i can't get online even when it says that it's connected on the 9900. I'm on with tmobile and Im able to use hotspot when i switch to my android phone.
    07-18-12 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD