Hi everyone,

Last night my BB told me to do a software update (update icon replaced my SMS icon on the icon list at bottom of screen), it did the backup OK, but after a few hours went into a constant cycle of restarting, then showing a white screen with an hourglass - I left it plugged into the wall charging overnight, and now it's STILL going. Over 12 hours later, and my BB is still stuck in this cycle (it said it would take a few hours, but this is ridiculous!)

My question is - is it safe to do a battery pull or plug it into my computer to see if Desktop Manager can sort it out?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
    01-27-12 03:46 AM
    Absolutely safe man go for it. Don't just leave it there helpless Try battery pull first and if not then am afraid ma boy you need to re-install OS. BTW as you are in London and on Vodafone, would like to share what OS they are giving as update?
    01-27-12 04:45 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Just did a battery pull and when it started up again, same issue: white screen with a rotating hourglass (like the old Windows loading icon). I think I'm going to have to take it down to the shop...

I don't know what the software update number was, sorry about that. I'll post it back here if I find out later.

Tom
    01-27-12 04:54 AM
    You wanna connect it to Desktop Manager? I think you should give it a go before going out to store and it will not effect your warranty or anything
    01-27-12 04:59 AM
    What OS did you go from and to?

If I had problems like you're having I would want to start everything clean.

If you did the upgrade through DM I'd suggest that you...
    1) Do a security wipe - EVERYTHING.
    2) Go to the Vodafone website and download and install the latest OS onto your computer.
    3) Run the AppLoader directly, not though DM.

I hope you do have a backup of your information . I actually don't worry about this too much. I have all my contacts, calendar, memos and tasks in Outlook.

After I have the OS installed and working I would begin installing my apps. My apps that let me backup the settings are backed up onto my media card.

Good luck!
    01-27-12 05:48 AM
    Hi everyone,

Last night my BB told me to do a software update (update icon replaced my SMS icon on the icon list at bottom of screen), it did the backup OK, but after a few hours went into a constant cycle of restarting, then showing a white screen with an hourglass - I left it plugged into the wall charging overnight, and now it's STILL going. Over 12 hours later, and my BB is still stuck in this cycle (it said it would take a few hours, but this is ridiculous!)

My question is - is it safe to do a battery pull or plug it into my computer to see if Desktop Manager can sort it out?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
    This is very sad for RIM, very sad.
    01-27-12 05:58 AM
    Just spent an hour in a Vodafone shop listening to ******* complain that they just dropped their iPhones down the toilet, and people clogging up the queue asking questions like "How do I find my bill?" GOOGLE IT YOU MORON.

Anyway, trying desktop manager now, since that's all Vodafone offered to do. Might as well do it myself.

Will post back to say how it goes.
    01-27-12 06:06 AM
    Hey guys, so I managed to do the software update successfully with the desktop software, so at least I have a working phone now.

But when I try to restore my contacts, messages etc from a backup (from about a week ago), the progress bar comes up... and doesn't progress at all! It's just sitting there, and on the BB, the pictures of the BB and the computer have no data arrows going between them. It's just doing nothing. Any ideas?
    01-27-12 07:26 AM
    I knew what Vodafone was going to say mm no idea about back up stuff, let's wait for someone to help you out with it
    01-27-12 11:25 AM
    In the end I just gave up on the restore, the progress bar was going nowhere even after several restarts of both computer and BB.

Just did a normal sync to get my contacts and calendar back, but have lost old messages. I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't restore because it was a newer OS build I'd installed?

Anyway, advice to anyone reading this - use the BB desktop software NOT the BB itself to do software updates!
    01-28-12 04:37 AM
    In the end I just gave up on the restore, the progress bar was going nowhere even after several restarts of both computer and BB.

Just did a normal sync to get my contacts and calendar back, but have lost old messages. I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't restore because it was a newer OS build I'd installed?

Anyway, advice to anyone reading this - use the BB desktop software NOT the BB itself to do software updates!
    i think you can do a partial restore. start restoring one thing at a time to try to get most of your data back.
    01-28-12 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD