FBA, thanks for the quick response.

below is the list of third party apps I have installed.
    Bing
    Blue
    Chase Mobile
    FancyTran
    Fandango Movies
    Pageonce Pro
    QR Code Scanner Pro
    ScoreMobile FC
    Screen Muncher
    Shazam Encore
    The Weather Channel
    WhatsApp Messenger
    XE Currency

I did not do the OS wipe to get the 507 error on boot. How do I do the full swipe?
    03-20-12 01:00 PM
    Full wipe, loaded OS 7.1, apps using are as follows

Blackberry Protect
    Google Maps
    Tune In Radio
    GPS Tool
    Shazaam
    Kayak
    Holy bIble
    What's app
    Twitter

That's it for apps, no themes, no email stored on the phone
    03-20-12 11:33 PM
    update on the issue:

I have seen that the battery seems to be heating up. I will use the phone on 2G to see if the heat does not return. If 2G eliminates the battery heat, then probably it'll eliminate the "screen dimming" issue.
    03-22-12 07:31 PM
    I did not do the OS wipe to get the 507 error on boot. How do I do the full swipe?
    use bbsak.
    BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    MoHummus likes this.
    03-22-12 08:05 PM
    My screen does the opposite. I have brightness on 10 and no auto dim, but screen gets brighter by itself in the sun light. Maybe an OS bug? What version are you running?
    This is similar to what the Playbook does. It's not a bug, and is not affected by enabling or disabling auto dim. If it's bright enough for the ambient light sensor to trigger brightening the screen, you probably wouldn't be able to see anything if it didn't. Try covering over the area around the LED and see if the screen goes dim again.

As for the OP's issue, my 9900 has never gone that dim....ever. Could it possibly be a hardware defect?
    03-22-12 08:08 PM
    I'm thinking one of the apps...software.

After the wipe and OS ONLY restore, before you start installing the 3rd party apps, test the phone. If it works as it should, add the apps back one at a time, testing before loading the next one, until you find the culprit.
    03-22-12 10:40 PM
    FBA will do this tonight. I will conduct the full swipe and only run the OS with no apps. Will keep the status posted on here.
    03-23-12 12:53 PM
    I have tried everything. No apps, no restore and it still does it. I have downgraded to 7.0 and upgraded to 7.1. The screen still does it. I have found that if the phone is in a cool place, then it will happen less. If the phone is in a warmer place, the more often it'll happen. I have talked it over with a few techs and they stated that I should try a new battery. I'm searching for a new OEM battery in hopes that the battery will solve my issue. I will also try runiing no apps, no restore, EDGE, to see if it occurs. I'll keep the OP updated.
    03-30-12 08:47 PM
    At this point, since you've already tried everything regarding software, I'm guessing it's hardware related and you'll need to swap the device. I doubt the battery is the issue...
    03-31-12 07:32 AM
    I was having this problem, even after upgrading to 7.1.0.340. I did a battery and SD card pull on Friday, and I haven't had the screen dim since then...
    04-15-12 01:05 PM
    Have tried it unsuccessfully but will try it again.
    04-15-12 03:07 PM
    This happened to me. It seemed to correspond with the installation of a flashlight app, un-installing the app seems to have fixed the problem. (no dimming problem in 24 hrs).
    10-23-12 04:47 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD