Didnt mean to offend you and make you get defensive. But I have only had 2 blackberry the 8330 and 9530. The 8330 was a good little phone for the time I had it but now, the 9530 was one of the worst phones I have ever owned and left me with an unfavorable impression with blackberries at that time. Friends of mine now have the 9630 now and they have nothing but issues. Not trying to "****" on blackberries but their last few offerings for VZW have not been very good compared to what you may find on other carriers.

And with that said I'm just trying to learn and find out the ins and outs of Rims latest os and flagship device, like most everyone else in this thread, and are eagerly anticipating this device.
    Soz ... not intending to get defensive, just overly aware of the increasing negativity that seems to show up just about everywhere lately. I need to back off on the caffeine, I guess.

Ok, so you being a victim of both Verizon and the Storm, I can understand where you're coming from. RIM doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of love from the carriers, probably the least of that from Verizon. And maybe deservedly so for ever letting the Storm out of the testing lab. But from my own experience, my BB's have seldom needed to be rebooted. As I noted earlier, it's either been a OS install or a deleted app that necessitates a boot; I've often gone weeks between reboots without a hiccup. Same goes for the PB, which leads me to believe that OS stability is at least one thing RIM has gotten a handle on.

All's cool.

edit: Oh yeah, and to keep this on topic, thanks again greg and dawg for all your hands-on info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-14-11 at 09:04 AM.
    DawgMan and LikeWebOS like this.
    07-14-11 09:01 AM
    Battery pulls............... even on my so called crappy 9630 sometimes I go months without doing one and this memory leak thing that is perpetuated on here I don't experience either. Maybe because I don't have many apps as I don't need them.
    07-14-11 09:56 AM
    Ok, so you being a victim of both Verizon and the Storm, I can understand where you're coming from. RIM doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of love from the carriers, probably the least of that from Verizon. And maybe deservedly so for ever letting the Storm out of the testing lab.
    Not exactly true. NYT: Research in Motion Courts Carr

07-14-11 10:48 AM
    Hmm.. This could be the phone to bring me back to BB.

Back to the 9000 size keyboard....................Check
    High Resolution screen................................Check
    Touch screen............................................ Check
    NO FFC............................................... .... Check
    The Notification light i have missed so much... Check
    Crackberry community again..........................Check

The defining factor for me will be web browsing......
    07-14-11 11:20 AM
    Not exactly true. NYT: Research in Motion Courts Carr

Interesting article. I see the point it's trying to make, but the carriers publicly are saying something a little different than perception would indicate (although at&t's curious silence on the subject was almost deafening...). It would seem that a good relationship with the carriers would benefit all parties. It will be interesting to see how much love they show the OS7 phones in the next six months.

Thanks for sharing.

07-14-11 12:35 PM
    greggbgardt, I may have missed the answer to my question, but here it goes; have you used any OS6-specific apps already without issues? Like, BeBuzz, BeWeather, MeterBerry, Pandora, etc.?

Thanks for your great feedback on the 9900!!
    Sorry but I have only installed the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking and Fidelity Apps on my device, I can report they work fine. Sorry, I am not one who loads a lot of 3rd party software on my business device
    07-14-11 02:06 PM
    Sorry but I have only installed the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking and Fidelity Apps on my device, I can report they work fine. Sorry, I am not one who loads a lot of 3rd party software on my business device
    What!!!! You mean apps aren't the most important thing in your life?

07-14-11 02:33 PM
    RIM needs to hurry it up. Hopefully we hear something by the end on July.
    07-14-11 07:37 PM
    RIM needs to hurry it up. Hopefully we hear something by the end on July.
    No RIM don't rush....I like playing the waiting game, it's what gets me up out of bed in the morning. The urge to login to crackberry.com on my iPad to read all tester reviews and the release date guessing game. Yes Yes Yes let's push the release back in time for Xmas .......
    07-14-11 11:43 PM
    To anybody, how is blackberry maps on the device? Have they updated anything or anything new about it?
    07-15-11 02:21 AM
    Dawg and Greg
    Been away from CB lately....found this thread and although I'd love to read all 18 pages I have two quick little question....

A few days in....how has the battery life settled in? How is the device reacting after several days of use....any development of lag?
    07-15-11 04:26 AM
    No lag and I can honestly say the battery life is not that far off from what I got with my 9780. I think that Dawg is reporting his battery life is not as good but tolerable. I still say the OS will get tweaked and the final version will be better!
    07-15-11 05:53 AM
    Whether or not QNX is the hotness as everyone is speculating it will be, I've been using the BlackBerry OS for a long time and I am completely comfortable with and know my way around it. All I've heard about the 9900 so far is how head-and-shoulders it is above any device RIM has put out to date. For this reason, I will be first in line the day it comes out and one or two years down the line I won't regret anything.
    07-15-11 06:37 AM
    Greg,

When you go to the YouTube page, can you zoom in? Not during a video, but as you scroll through the various thumbnails.

My 9650 won't zoom on the YouTube page. It will on other web sites, but not there.

Now that I'm in my mid-40's, I simply can't read the titles and descriptions next to those thumbnails.
    07-15-11 06:47 AM
    Greg,

When you go to the YouTube page, can you zoom in? Not during a video, but as you scroll through the various thumbnails.

My 9650 won't zoom on the YouTube page. It will on other web sites, but not there.

Now that I'm in my mid-40's, I simply can't read the titles and descriptions next to those thumbnails.
    You can zoom in in any webpage, you have to press I to zoom in, O to zoom out, if you use OS6 make sure keyboard shortcuts are enabled in browser settings.

07-15-11 06:57 AM
    Shucks... you are right.

I'm well aware of the "I" and "O" and it totally wasn't working a few months ago after one of those OS updates. After going through all sorts of contortions, I gave up and assumed it was just an idiosyncrasy of the OS and that type of web page.

Also, the "zoom" option wasn't even available under the menu when on that web page!

Now, it's all there!

Ok... sorry for the interruption.

Still checking the crackberry site and this thread obsessively for 9900 news!
    07-15-11 07:04 AM
    Shucks... you are right.

I'm well aware of the "I" and "O" and it totally wasn't working a few months ago after one of those OS updates. After going through all sorts of contortions, I gave up and assumed it was just an idiosyncrasy of the OS and that type of web page.

Also, the "zoom" option wasn't even available under the menu when on that web page!

Now, it's all there!

You can also hold ALT and scroll up or down on the trackpad for some fine tune zooming

07-15-11 07:12 AM
    Shucks... you are right.

Now, it's all there!

I know how you feel. I quit doing all the OS upgrades on my 9780 as I would gain one thing and loose another on each update. I even went back one version just to get what was most important on me on my 9780.

Youtube is nice on the 9900.
    07-15-11 07:38 AM
    No lag and I can honestly say the battery life is not that far off from what I got with my 9780. I think that Dawg is reporting his battery life is not as good but tolerable. I still say the OS will get tweaked and the final version will be better!
    You're basically right on. The goal is to have comparable/similar battery life compared to the 97xx's. Which will be very good considering the battery size. Gotta love newer smaller die processors. Obviously about time, but that's neither here nor there. With further optimization is should be damned closed to 97/9780 battery life standards.
    07-15-11 07:48 AM
    I do/did not own the 97xx series so can someone hip me to the battery life please?
    07-15-11 08:16 AM
    I do/did not own the 97xx series so can someone hip me to the battery life please?
    Easily twice the battery life of the original 9000. Quite possibly more depending on who you talk to.
    07-15-11 08:33 AM
    No RIM don't rush....I like playing the waiting game, it's what gets me up out of bed in the morning. The urge to login to crackberry.com on my iPad to read all tester reviews and the release date guessing game. Yes Yes Yes let's push the release back in time for Xmas .......
    October or November is a pretty realistic scenario if you've been following the historical releases. The Tour for one. Lots of false dates - rumors of course.
    07-15-11 02:17 PM
    I have no lag whatsoever, the screen transitions are seemless and very smooth. I have upgraded the OS on mine to 7.0.0.187 and that could have something to do with my battery life. I'm not sure if Gregg updated his. Also, I am constantly using BBM, SMS and email. The battery life is not horrible, but I have experienced better on other devices. I have to agree with Gregg about the OS updates prior to release. I'm sure there will be some changes to optimize the OS for the best performance possible.

Dawg and Greg
    Been away from CB lately....found this thread and although I'd love to read all 18 pages I have two quick little question....

A few days in....how has the battery life settled in? How is the device reacting after several days of use....any development of lag?
    07-15-11 02:29 PM
    I have no lag whatsoever, the screen transitions are seemless and very smooth. I have upgraded the OS on mine to 7.0.0.187 and that could have something to do with my battery life. I'm not sure if Gregg updated his. Also, I am constantly using BBM, SMS and email. The battery life is not horrible, but I have experienced better on other devices. I have to agree with Gregg about the OS updates prior to release. I'm sure there will be some changes to optimize the OS for the best performance possible.
    Given the processor upgrade and touch screen, this sounds fantastic.
    07-15-11 02:42 PM
    October or November is a pretty realistic scenario if you've been following the historical releases. The Tour for one. Lots of false dates - rumors of course.
    I bought my Tour in August 2009
    DawgMan likes this.
    07-15-11 02:48 PM
308 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD