C'mon - this would be a credible story, but nobody gets a new phone without some criticism or complaints -
    07-11-11 01:55 PM
    Actually I own an iPhone 4 and really like it a lot. The 9900 has a 5 mega pixel camera with flash. I have only taken a few pictures with it and those were all very close up pictures. I can say that for extreme close ups, I was not very impressed with it. Keep in mind, I'm specially talking about close ups of detailed items. I have not tested the camera in situation as you described.
    That is because the 9900 and other new BB7 handsets don't have auto focus anymore. They moved to an all focus lens which is not preferable to me. It's as if they downgraded. All focus will have minor benefits though. I'm basing this on previous phones with an edof/all focus lens. I hope I'm wrong but it seems your findings prove my point.
    That's disheartening if true When my iP4 has a camera that's as good as it is, anything less is a dealbreaker. I'm waiting until the official release to get my hands on one and test it out.
    07-11-11 01:57 PM
    No one wants or cares for a front facing camera. That's what tablets are for!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i and i think some other people do want a FFC. Please dont speak for MY wants. kthxbai
    07-11-11 01:58 PM
    You don't want to video chat with your friends over BBM via a video camera? I mean it is the year 2011. I figure this should be common place these days. Other phones companies are doing it, so why not RIM? Maybe the small screen on the bold doesn't work well with video chatting, who knows the thinking behind it... Just odd that the playbook has video chatting and front facing camera, but not their flag ship phone?

-Cal
    Likely with a face like yours, it would be better if it did not have a front facing cameras. Give your pretending friends a break!
    07-11-11 02:02 PM
    This thread is troll central lol.
    07-11-11 02:06 PM
    Happy for you, but I feel hatred towards you.
    07-11-11 02:12 PM
    Need to ask the 9900 owners......Is there a lanyard hole to hook in a Lanyard ? Not that I use it, but I need one to be there , else I am not buying the phone.
    I'm with you on this. Seriously folks, if the 9900 doesn't have a lanyard hole, it's game over for BlackBerry.
    curlyt1 likes this.
    07-11-11 02:20 PM
    I guess I too don't see the need for a front facing camera. While it's a cool feature, the main reason for a phone, with a keyboard, would be to communicate over text and voice, since it's a phone.

It just really makes you wonder why people get so upset over things that most people don't have and if they do have them, they don't use them anyways.

I was looking at the droid 3 with a friend last week and we were going over the specs. He's totally geeked about it, which is great for him. As we got towards the end of the list he was like "Well I may not use this, this, this, this and this but it's still cool that I have the option." I mean, WTF? To some people it seems like a bragging right- "Well, I have a front facing camera."
    07-11-11 02:32 PM
    Does anyone know what carrier it's coming to?
    07-11-11 02:41 PM
    I guess I too don't see the need for a front facing camera. While it's a cool feature, the main reason for a phone, with a keyboard, would be to communicate over text and voice, since it's a phone.

It just really makes you wonder why people get so upset over things that most people don't have and if they do have them, they don't use them anyways.

I was looking at the droid 3 with a friend last week and we were going over the specs. He's totally geeked about it, which is great for him. As we got towards the end of the list he was like "Well I may not use this, this, this, this and this but it's still cool that I have the option." I mean, WTF? To some people it seems like a bragging right- "Well, I have a front facing camera."
    you nailed, its not bragging rights buts its about having the option. you are purchasing a device for 18-24 months typically. What might not be a popular feature now might be in 1 year. Its nice to have the device somewhat feature proof. The PB has a FFC camera that is severely limited in its use since RIM doesnt even and will not have BBs with FFC for atleast 12 more months probably. Videochat via BBM would be great dont you think?
    07-11-11 02:46 PM
    "
    I disagree. I think a smart phone should have most of the standard features, and people choose what they want to use. If it has a front facing camera and you don't want to use it, then what harm is it doing by being there? On the other hand, if you are the type that would use it, then it is very convenient for it to be there.

You don’t have to use all the features your phone has, but every individual will use the features they want/need. If the feature is missing, then the user will not be satisfied (i.e. look at other phones that have more features).

Also, some features that may seem unnecessary now become core features in the future. I think a front facing camera is one of those. How many laptops can you buy today without one built in? Not everyone uses them, but those that do won’t buy the product unless it has one.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-11-11 02:50 PM
    "

I disagree. I think a smart phone should have most of the standard features, and people choose what they want to use. If it has a front facing camera and you don't want to use it, then what harm is it doing by being there? On the other hand, if you are the type that would use it, then it is very convenient for it to be there.

You don�t have to use all the features your phone has, but every individual will use the features they want/need. If the feature is missing, then the user will not be satisfied (i.e. look at other phones that have more features).

Also, some features that may seem unnecessary now become core features in the future. I think a front facing camera is one of those. How many laptops can you buy today without one built in? Not everyone uses them, but those that do won�t buy the product unless it has one.
    I disagree
    07-11-11 02:56 PM
    @dawgman,
    How is the Battery life of the 9900? Can you give a comparative with the Torch's battery life?
    07-11-11 03:16 PM
    id love a front facing camera on the bold touch...why not?
    07-11-11 03:17 PM
    you nailed, its not bragging rights buts its about having the option. you are purchasing a device for 18-24 months typically. What might not be a popular feature now might be in 1 year. Its nice to have the device somewhat feature proof. The PB has a FFC camera that is severely limited in its use since RIM doesnt even and will not have BBs with FFC for atleast 12 more months probably. Videochat via BBM would be great dont you think?
    I personally don't see video chatting on BBM as useful, nor do I see it as important for Facebook. I will concede to the fact that I may be in the minority on this technology/service but it's pretty useless to me. They've been trying to push video chatting since the 90s and it hasn't really taken off like they thought it would. Yes, skype has made it more popular and many people use it, but it hasn't been profitable for a reason.

As far as it not being a bragging right, I just see it as a "me too" feature.

"

You don�t have to use all the features your phone has, but every individual will use the features they want/need. If the feature is missing, then the user will not be satisfied (i.e. look at other phones that have more features).

Also, some features that may seem unnecessary now become core features in the future. I think a front facing camera is one of those. How many laptops can you buy today without one built in? Not everyone uses them, but those that do won�t buy the product unless it has one.
    I think a smartphone should have a lot of features, but these features should be integrated well, tried and true and feasible.

In terms of it being a future technology, I do think one day we will see it as one that is used more. I just think at this point our technology, in mobile, broadband and tech in general, is too immature to really be putting it in phones.

Again that's me and my opinion. Everyone has their own and I respect that. I don't look down on people for it or want to flame them but I will question it....
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 07-11-11 at 03:40 PM.
    07-11-11 03:38 PM
    "

People are funny.

I remember when QWERTY keyboards were considered overkill on phones. I recall the righteous indignation: "Oh my goodness... who would ever type on a phone? Phones are for calling!"

I remember when people (self ruefully included) wondered aloud about the reason anyone would want a camera on a phone.

The list goes on and on. I made fun of front-facing cameras until a short while ago, when I was away for a week, and desperately missed my family. Video chat did not seem like a useless feature then, and I availed myself of the feature on my device.

I have said it elsewhere on CB, seems this is the only place where I have seen folks knock extra features on other platforms.

Now, back to this device. It seems hot. They have to get it out ASAP, IMHO.
    austriker likes this.
    07-11-11 03:45 PM
    I personally don't see video chatting on BBM as useful, nor do I see it as important for Facebook. I will concede to the fact that I may be in the minority on this technology/service but it's pretty useless to me. They've been trying to push video chatting since the 90s and it hasn't really taken off like they thought it would. Yes, skype has made it more popular and many people use it, but it hasn't been profitable for a reason.

As far as it not being a bragging right, I just see it as a "me too" feature.

I think a smartphone should have a lot of features, but these features should be integrated well, tried and true and feasible.

In terms of it being a future technology, I do think one day we will see it as one that is used more. I just think at this point our technology, in mobile, broadband and tech in general, is too immature to really be putting it in phones.

Again that's me and my opinion. Everyone has their own and I respect that. I don't look down on people for it or want to flame them but I will question it....
    Now I don't think this is an unreasonable point at all. I think there is some improvements that could be made to video chatting.

I don't think it would be the biggest decision-making feature, but more and more folks are using it, despite the fact that it is a bit raw (IMHO) at the moment.
    07-11-11 03:48 PM
    Where the heck are these pics you guys keep talking about? I don't see any pics anywhere in this thread on my PB, desktop, or phone.... what am I missing?

Thankfully, its a well written review and the phone sounds very impressive! I'm just torn between the Bold Touch and the Monaco... both are looking sa-weeeeeeeet!
    07-11-11 03:53 PM
    I don't see the big deal with front facing cameras on a smartphone either. I can see on a laptop or tablet but who really wants to try to video chat on a little cell phone screen? I know people with iphone 4 and high end android phones that have never used their front facing camera. The one person that did show me how he video chats on his Evo through ovoo (try saying that 3 times fast lol) the experience was horrible. They couldn't hear each other or see each other well. The whole conversation was them repeating themselves over & over watching a choppy video of the other person talking with a split second delay. Not worth it to me. Plus these days people would rather text/instant message/email than actually making a phone call. The 9900 should be the best when it comes to that so to people who aren't spec-whores and want an actual phone that can communicate, this new bold should be a hit.
    Last edited by bigjman; 07-11-11 at 04:25 PM.
    07-11-11 04:22 PM
    I wanted to know what front facing cameras were like to so I purchased a ipod touch 4. I used it nonstop for the first week then after that every once and a while. It is a nice feature to have but me personally, I wouldn't be upset for blackberry not having it. Maybe next year it would be a bigger thing. Thanks to dawgman and greg for all the updates, I'm debating between this, the blackberry curve 9360, and the Lg thrill (distant third, however andriods are ok). The reason I'm thinking of the curve is the price and I like the curve keyboards alot. Anybody else thinking of the curve?
    07-11-11 04:33 PM
    "

If it has a front facing camera and you don't want to use it, then what harm is it doing by being there?
    Because are you really sure that nobody is using it to spy on your activities? The government, law enforcement, a private investigator that your wife hired?

Front facing cameras make me paranoid and so do microphones and gps lol

Are you sure big brother isn't watching? Google maybe?

If not now, then sometime in the future world when a tyranical government decides to "wiretap" you? It's not just wires anymore, its location, video, audio anywhere, not just when you are "on the phone"..... you name it. It's wireless tapping. One little "adjustment" to the patriot act and we are at their mercy ....

I put electrical tape on the front facing cam on my playbook...not that I have anything to hide...lol

Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-11-11 at 04:39 PM.
    07-11-11 04:36 PM
    id love a front facing camera on the bold touch...why not?
    Just turn the camera around
    07-11-11 05:01 PM
    People are funny.

I remember when QWERTY keyboards were considered overkill on phones. I recall the righteous indignation: "Oh my goodness... who would ever type on a phone? Phones are for calling!"

I remember when people (self ruefully included) wondered aloud about the reason anyone would want a camera on a phone.

The list goes on and on. I made fun of front-facing cameras until a short while ago, when I was away for a week, and desperately missed my family. Video chat did not seem like a useless feature then, and I availed myself of the feature on my device.

I have said it elsewhere on CB, seems this is the only place where I have seen folks knock extra features on other platforms.

Now, back to this device. It seems hot. They have to get it out ASAP, IMHO.
    The major difference between features like a keyboard and camera that were once considered extraneous, and a front facing camera, is that cameras and keyboards on phones were quickly and widely adopted by the general public. Front-facing cameras and video-chat, on the other hand, has been around since the 90s and has never hit the mainstream. My guess for one of the reasons why this never happened is because video chatting is simply an inconvenience on a device that is built around convenience and mobility.

If not even Apple can popularize (or revive it), what can? It's just too much of a niche feature for RIM to invest in the hardware and software development for video chatting on a BBOS phone (not counting QNX).

sleepngbear likes this.
    07-11-11 05:25 PM
    I can see a place for a ffc and yes it probably should have one but really most people are not going to use it for every day conversations with friends and family only if you're away from home with the wife and kids.

No one wants to see my ugly puss anyway and most of the time I wouldn't want to see theirs.
    07-11-11 05:32 PM
    The major difference between features like a keyboard and camera that were once considered extraneous, and a front facing camera, is that cameras and keyboards on phones were quickly and widely adopted by the general public. Front-facing cameras and video-chat, on the other hand, has been around since the 90s and has never hit the mainstream. My guess for one of the reasons why this never happened is because video chatting is simply an inconvenience on a device that is built around convenience and mobility.

If not even Apple can popularize (or revive it), what can? It's just too much of a niche feature for RIM to invest in the hardware and software development for video chatting on a BBOS phone (not counting QNX).

Point taken. I have used the FFC once in eight months, but when I did need it, I would have called it priceless.

And that is what phone functionality is all about, IMHO (for me, anyways): the ability to be a mobile workhorse. I don't mind having extra, exotic functionality, especially if the other functions I deem important are unaffected.

Again, having said that, I don't know that I would categorize FFC as a must-have deal-breaker just yet.
    07-11-11 06:08 PM
308 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD