On screen keyboards suck
    So I guess you hate your Playbook then?
    07-11-11 07:46 AM
    Anyway, QNX or not, the 9900 better have a reasonable browser or it will be officially not-much-better than my 9650.
    ^This. However..RIM seems to have some serious issues when it comes to browsers..as is seen even on their PlayBook and the serious checkerboarding that occurs. So my guess is..the browsers on these newest phones (while maybe better than what's currently out there for BB's) is still going to be painful next to other handsets.

I definitely hope RIM gets back on track and I hope this is the beginning.
    This is the beginning..and the end..of OS 7. My guess is..with the latest hardware in the phones..OS 7 is what should have been in OS 6.
    07-11-11 07:51 AM
    So I guess you hate your Playbook then?
    I do hate typing on it,

I use it for content consumption not creation.

I go to my Torch or my Laptop for typing needs, unless I am poking out some sub 140char reply then I'll do it on the Playbook, else I'll load up something with a keyboard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 07:53 AM
    DawgMan, have you used an iPhone 4 at all? I need to know how good the camera is on the 99xx. One of the reasons the iPhone 4 has stayed my primary is because in all situations but low light, my iP4 has replaced the need for a point and shoot camera. Having a baby, it's of utmost importance to me to have a great cell phone camera. I'd like to know how the 99xx pics compare to the quality of the iP4 pics.

Also like others have asked, need to know how good the new browser is. Supposedly it benchmarks better than the iP4 browser. I would like to know what it's like in real world testing.
    07-11-11 08:05 AM
    DawgMan, have you used an iPhone 4 at all? I need to know how good the camera is on the 99xx. One of the reasons the iPhone 4 has stayed my primary is because in all situations but low light, my iP4 has replaced the need for a point and shoot camera. Having a baby, it's of utmost importance to me to have a great cell phone camera. I'd like to know how the 99xx pics compare to the quality of the iP4 pics.

Also like others have asked, need to know how good the new browser is. Supposedly it benchmarks better than the iP4 browser. I would like to know what it's like in real world testing.
    My Torch in low light takes better pics than the iPhone 4
    So it is safe to expect the same from the 9900

07-11-11 08:48 AM
    the best virtual keypad is the iPhone 4. I have used it many times and I HATE virtual keyboards, but this one has been solid. I have tried them quite a bit and hate my droid keypad, which is why my user experience has been horrible with droid.....if I was forced to have another virtual keypad, id get the iphone......this is one main reason why im patiently waiting for the 9930....in 4 weeks time......
    07-11-11 09:17 AM
    My Torch in low light takes better pics than the iPhone 4
    So it is safe to expect the same from the 9900

I've always thought BB cameras were really good at the time, starting from the Storm going forward. I thought the Bold 9650 took really nice photos under all conditions. Hoping for the same on the 99XX. Quality of the sensor trumps megapixel count any day so if they put in a fantastic 5mp sensor I'd be happy.
    07-11-11 09:23 AM
    [QUOTE=Rickroller;6473703]^This. However..RIM seems to have some serious issues when it comes to browsers..as is seen even on their PlayBook and the serious checkerboarding that occurs. So my guess is..the browsers on these newest phones (while maybe better than what's currently out there for BB's) is still going to be painful next to other handsets.

Thus the reason for my change to Android. I still don't get why the bb browser does just a poor job rendering web pages quickly. I get that the 624mhz processor does not help but think there must be something better they could do to improve that experience...or maybe I am just naive.
    07-11-11 09:26 AM
    Perhaps you should be on payroll at RIM as a technical advisor since you obviously know what eveyone wants. I wrote the title and review based upon my impression and experience. Next time I decide to share my thoughts about a device, I'll call you for a consultation.

Now, to your questions about front facing camera, and whatever else you were pi$$ing and moaning about maybe you could share your experince using the 9900. If not, please troll somewhere else.

How did RIM get it "right"?

Does it have a front facing camera? I'm curios as if they are going to allow us to vide chat with playbook owners? It seems to me that they should be self-promoting their own feature set amongst their products.

If by getting it right means they have a touch screen, I seem to think that's getting it wrong. I've yet to seem a Torch user use the on screen keyboard, and rarely "touch" the screen to do anything... I think the vast majority of BB users want to touch the keyboard, not the screen. it comes from years on thumb scrolling and keyboard typing...

Just sayin...

-Cal
    john_v likes this.
    07-11-11 09:44 AM
    Absolutely, everyone here can know my friend, only. You'll need someone other than me to make the introduction.

Can I know your friend?
    07-11-11 09:49 AM
    Yes, it does have a lanyard hole on the upper right corner. It beside the access door where the nail clippers and tweezers are located.

Need to ask the 9900 owners......Is there a lanyard hole to hook in a Lanyard ? Not that I use it, but I need one to be there , else I am not buying the phone.
    rulasiu and john_v like this.
    07-11-11 09:52 AM
    Perhaps you should be on payroll at RIM as a technical advisor since you obviously know what eveyone wants. I wrote the title and review based upon my impression and experience. Next time I decide to share my thoughts about a device, I'll call you for a consultation.

Now, to your questions about front facing camera, and whatever else you were pi$$ing and moaning about maybe you could share your experince using the 9900. If not, please troll somewhere else.
    Dogboy, Since you're clearly the "chosen one" when it comes to the 9900, I thought I'd ask a simple question. Does it have a front facing camera? I'm guess the answer is no from your smartass response. That's fine. In your own words, "RIM Got it Right." Way to innovate and push you're own flagship product feature set to old and new customers... RIM got it right, when it can fool the masses to think this is the best bold yet, until the QNX ones drop (whenever that is)
    Jordy357 likes this.
    07-11-11 10:57 AM
    These forums are amazing. Most heated forums Ive ever been a part of. Passion is one thing, rudeness is another. Sheesh....the OP's review was awesome and I cant wait to get this device.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    07-11-11 11:04 AM
    No one wants or cares for a front facing camera. That's what tablets are for!

07-11-11 11:05 AM
    I am hoping to have a 9900 in my hands within the next few days. Fingers crossed.
    07-11-11 11:10 AM
    No one wants or cares for a front facing camera. That's what tablets are for!
    You don't want to video chat with your friends over BBM via a video camera? I mean it is the year 2011. I figure this should be common place these days. Other phones companies are doing it, so why not RIM? Maybe the small screen on the bold doesn't work well with video chatting, who knows the thinking behind it... Just odd that the playbook has video chatting and front facing camera, but not their flag ship phone?

-Cal
    07-11-11 11:11 AM
    How did RIM get it "right"?

Does it have a front facing camera? I'm curios as if they are going to allow us to vide chat with playbook owners? It seems to me that they should be self-promoting their own feature set amongst their products.

If by getting it right means they have a touch screen, I seem to think that's getting it wrong. I've yet to seem a Torch user use the on screen keyboard, and rarely "touch" the screen to do anything... I think the vast majority of BB users want to touch the keyboard, not the screen. it comes from years on thumb scrolling and keyboard typing...

Just sayin...

-Cal
    Then you obviously don't know too many Torch users. I'm constantly using the touch screen on mine, and even occasionslly use the virtual keyboard.

As for a front-facing camera, it's a must-have option for some, but not for most from what I've seen. If it becomes a major sticking point, I'm sure RIM will add it to a future model. Personally, I seriously question how well video chatting would work on a screen that size anyway, and the camera itself would just be a waste of front-side real estate; so I actually prefer that my phone doesn't have it. So NO, I do not want to video chat with my friends.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 07-11-11 at 11:15 AM.
    07-11-11 11:11 AM
    Actually you did more than ask a simple question. A simple search would have easily told you that the 9900 does not have a front facing camera. If your selection of a device is based only a front facing camera, then clearly the 9900 is not the device for you. As I stated, the thread title and my review are based upon MY use and experience. I am NOT "the chosen one" as you stated, just someone that was lucky enough to have the opportunity to obtain this device. Your initial post was clearly not to ask a simple question. Your post from beginning to end was belligerent, feckless and really served no purpose other than to run your suck about how much you hate RIM. I don't care whether you like or dislike a specific device, but please spare the rudeness and ignorance. if you have a valid question I would be more than happy to answer, but you chose to conceal a pointless question in a rant.

Dogboy, Since you're clearly the "chosen one" when it comes to the 9900, I thought I'd ask a simple question. Does it have a front facing camera? I'm guess the answer is no from your smartass response. That's fine. In your own words, "RIM Got it Right." Way to innovate and push you're own flagship product feature set to old and new customers... RIM got it right, when it can fool the masses to think this is the best bold yet, until the QNX ones drop (whenever that is)
    m23haz, drjay868 and sam_b77 like this.
    07-11-11 11:35 AM
    What he said!!! ^^^

I think about the 9900 at home, in the shower, on the toilet, in the car, at work, in bed, etc. I would say 99% of the time when I'm on my 9780, I'm researchng the 9900 (on crackberry ), hoping for a release date to pop up already!
    Embarrasing as it is, i also think about the 9900 all the time.
    curlyt1 likes this.
    07-11-11 11:40 AM
    Actually I own an iPhone 4 and really like it a lot. The 9900 has a 5 mega pixel camera with flash. I have only taken a few pictures with it and those were all very close up pictures. I can say that for extreme close ups, I was not very impressed with it. Keep in mind, I'm specially talking about close ups of detailed items. I have not tested the camera in situation as you described.

07-11-11 11:41 AM
    I personally think that a front facing camera should be standard on BB's, now that it is on higher end new phones. I understand that a lot of people don't see the point, and I was one of them until recently when my wife was away at a conference and when I called her, my 3 y/o son wanted to video chat (like he does on my wife’s IPhone4). Unfortunately, my torch could not do it, and my son didn’t understand why. For families who travel a lot, it would be an awesome feature.

For a business phone, with the owner on a business trip, wouldn’t it be nice to have a video chat with your young kids? It is just an example of a simple thing you can add to a phone that will increase interest. If you don't use it, then there is no big deal if it’s there. But if you do use it, then it is a necessity.
    07-11-11 12:08 PM
    Actually I own an iPhone 4 and really like it a lot. The 9900 has a 5 mega pixel camera with flash. I have only taken a few pictures with it and those were all very close up pictures. I can say that for extreme close ups, I was not very impressed with it. Keep in mind, I'm specially talking about close ups of detailed items. I have not tested the camera in situation as you described.
    That is because the 9900 and other new BB7 handsets don't have auto focus anymore. They moved to an all focus lens which is not preferable to me. It's as if they downgraded. All focus will have minor benefits though. I'm basing this on previous phones with an edof/all focus lens. I hope I'm wrong but it seems your findings prove my point.
    07-11-11 12:09 PM
    Good god.

Look, there is a frappin' file in many, many leaked OSes. Here's what it's named:

net_rim_wlan_apmode_options.cod

So, YES, there is the CAPABILITY of acting as a WiFi access point.

The big question is how/if/when this capability will be enabled. My strong suspicion is that it will be controlled by carrier service books. But just like the whole AT&T BB Maps debacle, someone will find a way to enable the dang thing.

So, can we all talk about something else now?
    I see a file in 7.0.0.187 called net_rim_api_wlan_hotspot. Is this related or is this for UMA support?

07-11-11 01:02 PM
    Actually you did more than ask a simple question. A simple search would have easily told you that the 9900 does not have a front facing camera. If your selection of a device is based only a front facing camera, then clearly the 9900 is not the device for you. As I stated, the thread title and my review are based upon MY use and experience. I am NOT "the chosen one" as you stated, just someone that was lucky enough to have the opportunity to obtain this device. Your initial post was clearly not to ask a simple question. Your post from beginning to end was belligerent, feckless and really served no purpose other than to run your suck about how much you hate RIM. I don't care whether you like or dislike a specific device, but please spare the rudeness and ignorance. if you have a valid question I would be more than happy to answer, but you chose to conceal a pointless question in a rant.
    Word of the day: "feckless"!!!!

DawgMan likes this.
    07-11-11 01:13 PM
    So how come you get one and I don't?
    07-11-11 01:53 PM
308 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD