BlackBerry saying they'll continue to support... doesn't mean that carriers have to. How many already had their plans in place for removing that equipment and services?

If anyone will keep it going, I'd expect it to be AT&T...
    I’m thinking Rogers will as well. There was a time when Rogers & AT&T moved in lockstep
    09-04-19 08:47 AM
    To export the certificates in Firefox:

1. On your computer, make a folder to which you'll export the certs.

2. Open Firefox and go to preferences (possibly options in the Windows version).

3. Select the Privacy and Security section on the left. Scroll down to the bottom to the certificate section.

4. Choose "view certificates."

5. Select a certificate and export. Choose the folder you made for the certificates as the destination. Repeat until you have all the certificates.

Life pro tip: you can select one certificate and then hold down the ctrl key and select more -- and then press export. By default they'll export as .pem certs, which is what you want.

It may be that the certificate with chain option is better. If that turns out to be the case, you'll want to change "X.509 Certificate (PEM)" to "X.509 Certificate with chain (PEM)" each time you save.

6. Transfer the folder to your device's media card. I did this by USB. You could also shut down the device and put the card in your computer if you have a card reader.

7. On your 9900 go to "Options > Security > Advanced Security Settings > Certificates."

8. Press the BlackBerry Button. Select "Import Media Card Certs" from the menu and import the certificates.

9. Go through your certificate list and delete any expired ones you can so that they don't interfere with validation. I have two from Bell that cannot be deleted, but deleted the other expired and revoked certificates.

I still get some certificate errors, but not as many as before.

Note: if you have email set up, I think you can email yourself the certificates as attachments too, and import them through the email client, but I haven't tested that.
    Couple things I am not sure about.

Where the certificates come from?
    What they are doing once loaded to my 99? (Do they make the native browser a more competent tool with less errors etc?)

Thanks again
    09-04-19 08:49 AM
    Couple things I am not sure about.

Where the certificates come from?
    Firefox has its own store of certificates on your computer.

The reason that you get them yourself is because they should be safe. If I was to post them all on my website, for example, you'd have to trust me -- some random character on the internet -- and, even if you did trust me, you'd also have to trust that you were actually connected to my site -- and not redirected elsewhere by other nefarious characters. It's best to just get them from your own installation of Firefox, which you already trust and use -- and for you to be the only handler of the certificates.

What they are doing once loaded to my 99? (Do they make the native browser a more competent tool with less errors etc?)

Thanks again
    Yes. You'll get fewer certificate errors and should be able to connect to more sites. You won't be able to connect to sites requiring TLS1.1 or above with the native browser, but you may be able to connect to them with Opera Mini. If you do use Opera Mini, be aware that all of the data goes through proxy servers run by Opera, so you have to trust them with any data (including passwords) that you send through their system.
    09-04-19 09:42 AM
    Very very helpful!
    Thanks so much

I am assuming I can just batch copy a whole raft of certificates from Firefox (and get rid of the expired ones as you mention)
    and plunk them in there

Will let you know how it goes

Must say I am very grateful that Rogers still has BIS so that I am able to keep up with my emails & it is a pure pleasure tapping out even complex responses without having to resort to my computer
    Cannot do that without grimacing & contorting my brain (or my fingers) on my iPhone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-04-19 08:49 PM
    If you do use Opera Mini, be aware that all of the data goes through proxy servers run by Opera, so you have to trust them with any data (including passwords) that you send through their system.
    Yep yep. I hear that, thanks for the reminder. I was made aware of how Operates (get it? heheh) many years ago by a tech savvy friend

09-04-19 08:56 PM
    Yep yep. I hear that, thanks for the reminder. I was made aware of how Operates (get it? heheh) many years ago by a tech savvy friend

There's a difference today. Opera was once owned by Norwegians. Now it's owned by a Chinese corporation with all the regular reporting responsibilities to the Chinese government. So assume they know what you're doing if you use it.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-05-19 at 09:18 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-04-19 09:15 PM
    Hmm that is odd because yes my friend Carl made me aware about Opera some years ago. I will contact him & see what he says

Btw I could not open that link in the native browser & it was an unreradable mess in Opera

Must get to doing certificates soon, just been too busy as yet

Have a great day

09-05-19 08:38 AM
    I could not open that link in the native browser & it was an unreradable mess in Opera
    Weird. I removed the link. It wasn't informative. Just a joke.

Here's a link to an article about the purchase: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...se-consortium/
    09-05-19 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Very interesting

Well let's see how it goes I guess.

09-05-19 08:34 PM
    I just re-exported all of my certificates from Firefox as "X.509 Certificate with chain (PEM)" and imported them into my Bold as described previously.

I then deleted all of my server exceptions in Options > Security > Advanced Security Settings > TLS.

As long as I surf with Opera Mini (as @Rootbrian suggested) I get no certificate errors (so far), but some sites still don't function properly.

The regular browser seems to produce errors related to certificates set up for multiple domain names and those with wildcards. It may produce *more* errors with the new certificates than it did before. I can't be sure.

I guess a new how-to page is going up on the Bold Explorer.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-15-19 at 08:28 PM.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-15-19 03:59 PM
    I just re-exported all of my certificates from Firefox as "X.509 Certificate with chain (PEM)" and imported them into my Bold as described previously.

I then deleted all of my server exceptions in Options > Security > Advanced Security Settings > TLS.

As long as I surf with Opera Mini (as @Rootbrian suggested) I get no certificate errors (so far), but some sites still don't function properly.

The regular browser seems to produce errors related to certificates set up for multiple domain names and those with wildcards. It may produce *more* errors with the new certificates than it did before. I can't be sure.

I guess a new how-to page is going up on the Bold Explorer.
    I have had some luck as well although I have to say Opera has always & continues to work well 98% of the time. There are only minor quibbles such as Google always defaulting to Malaysian & pictures missing or page layouts looking odd, in articles I'm reading.

You've left some extra tips here regarding settings that I shall have to try! Native browser still not working as reliably as Opera but better than it was! Thank you!

What is this "Bold Explorer"? What did I miss? Can you link me to it? Please pardon thank you?

09-16-19 09:27 PM
    What is this "Bold Explorer"? What did I miss? Can you link me to it? Please pardon thank you?
    Wow. You've been gone for a while!

I couldn't update the stickied posts in the Bold 9900 forum any more, so I created a website with all of the information.

Here's the link: The Bold Explorer

Actually, if you're a total nerd and like retro tech, you can also find it on gopher: gopher://gopher.visiblink.ca/1/bold
    09-16-19 10:02 PM
    Ahhh wonderful! Yes I haven't been gone THAT long i just forgot about your page! Have it bookmarked & emailed it to myself & a friend for future reference! Thanks!

I guess I'm in a good way compared to many Bold users, in that being a Rogers / Fido customer, BIS still works for me. I can do almost everything I need to do on my Bold including emails picture messaging internet searches news feeds etc. The only thing I really miss is Twitter but then again haven't been using it that much lately anyway.

Was able to load Bold Explorer just fine in the native browser but the Gopher link dead ended. Might try that on Opera or later on my iPhone, just for fun. Guess I am a nerd, but yep love the Gophe

Thanks again

09-17-19 07:43 AM
    Ahhh wonderful! Yes I haven't been gone THAT long i just forgot about your page! Have it bookmarked & emailed it to myself & a friend for future reference! Thanks!

I guess I'm in a good way compared to many Bold users, in that being a Rogers / Fido customer, BIS still works for me. I can do almost everything I need to do on my Bold including emails picture messaging internet searches news feeds etc. The only thing I really miss is Twitter but then again haven't been using it that much lately anyway.

Was able to load Bold Explorer just fine in the native browser but the Gopher link dead ended. Might try that on Opera or later on my iPhone, just for fun. Guess I am a nerd, but yep love the Gophe

Thanks again

For the gopher link you need a gopher browser or to go through a gopher proxy.

There is a list of gopher browsers here.

There is a J2ME gopher browser that will start on the Bold 9900, but it doesn't work well at all and freezes constantly.
    09-17-19 08:51 AM
    Haha... I can certainly appreciate, and abide by, an abundance of caution. BUT, considering the countless EM potentials roaming our atmosphere, including RADAR, etc, I'm not sure how confident to feel about a plane that might suffer hazard from relatively minuscule cellphone transmitters... ??? Lol. Of course, over 100 of the things trapped inside a metal can might prove significant?

Again, if ALL batteries were removed and prominently displayed before taxi to runway, relative assurance might be achieved. Then again, a pretty simple RF detector could let attendants zero in on offenders... Even accidental ones. Lol.
    This reminds me of something I heard someone say on an Art Bell re-run. They said “we are basically living in a microwave oven and we don’t really know what the long term effects will be at a cellular level.”

Then again, they probably wondered this about radio when it first came about, or perhaps people didn’t know enough about it.
    09-18-19 10:29 AM
    I regret that I never got to wear out the “new” keyboard I put on the 9900 years ago. Still rocking the iPhone 7 and keeping the 9900. Missing the early 2010’s, even when movies from that era mentioned Blackberries regularily, like “The Town” with Ben Affleck.
    anon(10512033) and bbfanfan like this.
    09-18-19 10:32 AM
    Hi back !
    It is great to be checking back in
    Have been wondering about the Bold gang on and off these past couple of years, but it took a nudge from a friend to bring Agent 99 out of retirement & actually check in

Bold as a PDA makes total sense to me! Glad you're making lemonade.

As for 3G retirement, ya it could be quite a while still
    And for people like you & me who live in the boonies, it will be longer than that still, because, well... Seems like 5G is not a distance champion. Great for densely populated areas where every building can host infrastructure, but not for areas where trees or wilderness outnumbers buildings & people ten thousand to one

My 99 runs H+ anyway so isnt that basically a small notch beyond 3G? That buys some time also

I have a question:
    I accidentally deleted (not uninstalled) Twitter yesterday after posting a note on here. It was not working right & I intended to uninstall / reinstall, but I stupidly deleted it & now cannot find it in Appworld. Is there somewhere I could grab a version OTA for BBOS 7.1? Or am i relegated to using Opera Mini?

Have a great day!

Hi Ursus! Great to see you back!

Hoping you'll forgive my avail of Agent99's handle during your leave . ... just too good to idle... . She seemed truly lonely in your absence, btw. Lol.

Now that you're back with the agency, she's eager to resume service under original arrangements. My use of that handle will henceforth refer to agent class 9930 as Agent99.30 ... lol.

Please let me introduce to all: Agent99.30!

Btw, Agent99.30's premature retirement coincidentally coincides with mine, about year end. Lol.
    09-19-19 05:51 AM
    Retirees from this group dont get watches or rocking chairs... Coworkers are already preparing a tool belt equipped walker complete with side cutters, crimpers, lighted screw drivers, lighted magnifying glass... oxygen bottle, I.V. hanger, BP cuff, cardio-monitor, defibrillator... etc, etc... ezONE BIG key cell phone... lol. A work in progress...

Will share photos but no photos till the "big day". Lol.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    09-19-19 05:55 AM
    Retirees from this group dont get watches or rocking chairs... Coworkers are already preparing a tool belt equipped walker complete with side cutters, crimpers, lighted screw drivers, lighted magnifying glass... oxygen bottle, I.V. hanger, BP cuff, cardio-monitor, defibrillator... etc, etc... ezONE BIG key cell phone... lol. A work in progress...

Will share photos but no photos till the "big day". Lol.
    Don’t forget the rear-view mirrors, tennis balls, and air horn!
    anon(10512033) and idssteve like this.
    09-19-19 07:13 AM
    Don’t forget the rear-view mirrors, tennis balls, and air horn!
    Haha... an antique bottle of Geritol got added this morning! Lol.
    09-19-19 09:13 AM
    This reminds me of something I heard someone say on an Art Bell re-run. They said “we are basically living in a microwave oven and we don’t really know what the long term effects will be at a cellular level.”

Then again, they probably wondered this about radio when it first came about, or perhaps people didn’t know enough about it.
    A lifetime of designing data acquisition strategies around "noise" mitigation has endeared emence respect for robustness of 70mA level human electro-neurologic daq. Of course our planet's magnetic "shield" has deflected much of the worst stuff roaming this edge of our galaxy. lol. Interesting to see long term impact on human behaviour as that "shield's" instability progresses into possible reversal? Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-19-19 12:26 PM
    Hi Ursus! Great to see you back!

Hoping you'll forgive my avail of Agent99's handle during your leave . ... just too good to idle... . She seemed truly lonely in your absence, btw. Lol.

Now that you're back with the agency, she's eager to resume service under original arrangements. My use of that handle will henceforth refer to agent class 9930 as Agent99.30 ... lol.

Please let me introduce to all: Agent99.30!

Btw, Agent99.30's premature retirement coincidentally coincides with mine, about year end. Lol.
    Hahaha! Love it! 99.30 sounds great!
    Ya it is great to be back, I'm kind of gobsmacked that everyone remembers me & that everyone is still rocking their Bolds, at a time when even many BB10 users are wandering away from their Classics, etc

Speaking of which, what's this talk of retirement?

09-20-19 09:01 AM
    For the gopher link you need a gopher browser or to go through a gopher proxy.

There is a list of gopher browsers here.

There is a J2ME gopher browser that will start on the Bold 9900, but it doesn't work well at all and freezes constantly.
    Hi Shuswap ya sheeesh I actually knew this but had forgotten Guess it was info that swirled in my RAM for a while back in the day (as it were) & never got committed to storage.

You are a font of information & knowledge, and it is appreciated.

Then again same could be said of all the other "Resurgence" citizens

I am still trying to process what I read in that BlackBerry log entry which you linked me to a couple of weeks back. It seemed to be saying EOL may not be quite so EOL. Then again the way people such as yourself have of using these 99s makes the whole concept "EOL" rather spurious in a sense.

But Shaw (or rather, the CRTC?) appears to have given my household & thousands of other rural Canadian households a reprieve (full pardon?) on their LTSS (locally based free satellite television service) going EOL. So maybe, just maybe.... Two's a charm?

anon(10512033) likes this.
    09-20-19 09:36 AM
    A lifetime of designing data acquisition strategies around "noise" mitigation has endeared emence respect for robustness of 70mA level human electro-neurologic daq. Of course our planet's magnetic "shield" has deflected much of the worst stuff roaming this edge of our galaxy. lol. Interesting to see long term impact on human behaviour as that "shield's" instability progresses into possible reversal? Lol.
    All of this wouldn't have any connection with that weasel that shut down the LHC a few years ago eh? Might explain a lot of things, that...
    Heheh ;P

09-20-19 09:44 AM
    Magnetic reversal! I really wish we could have a Bold Astronomy thread

And speaking of magnetic (& heliocentric) protection (and or lack thereof): Voyager 1 could be our mascot

09-20-19 10:08 AM
8,754 ... 336337338339340 ...