I think the contrasting chin projects boldness ...
    Agreed, I also think that black chin looks good, adding some symmetry to the design (matching the 'BlackBerry' section at the top of the handset)

Just out of interest, do the white 9900 handsets always have a black trackpad, or is that another Ralph mod?
    07-15-17 03:00 AM
    But the trackpad always look black.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 07:05 AM
    Optical Trackpad seems to use IR optics. Looks "black" to our eyes.
    07-15-17 08:38 AM
    Well, things about the KEYone removable screen are all over the KEYone forum. There is glue of course, but just a narrow and thin strip and on the ones with popping screens the glue is so thin that some thought that there was no glue. I think TLC is trying to cut cost by applying less glue and use a lower quality one. How else that could be explained when TLC has been making phones and gluing screen for years. LOL.
    Now instead of a removable battery, there is a removable screen, which will inconveniently break the cable when popping off.

The removable battery is a product from the time of Ni batteries when a battery would take up that memory effect and became useless when the phone was still in great shape. The non removable batteries came as the more modern phones demand more power, and as the Li batteries do not carry the memory effect, removing the thick protective shell around a battery would give more room and increase the effective volume of the battery. Still we have the term 'wall hugger' that John Chen fondly spoke of. That's my school of thought on this.

I think that the need to have a phone which pack enough power to last through the day was one major reason that drove Apple to produce the Plus size. Before that, was that Steve Job laughing at the phablets?

However the size of phablets and their battery, none would allow me to go deep into the countryside for a couple of days where power outage can last a week.

Posted via CB10

Batteries have come a LONG way since Ni days but they're still too frequently an earliest fail component. They're also still one of the heaviest components. Sizing a battery for extended endurance on hard use days means user hand must endure handling more weight & bulk than needed on easy use days. JM1s were sized to barely endure an easy day. That makes for compact form. The strategy works because mid day battery swaps can restore 100% charge in under 3 minutes. A marvelous strategy for compactness. Imo.

AND for versatility. Anyone who thinks their 9900 needs a larger battery simply needs to fit a larger battery! My 5000mAh monster provides solid three day endurance. Takes less than 3 minutes, including reboot, to pop in a spare from pocket and get on with life for three more days! Then, when back to light duty service, I still enjoy option to revert to compact, light weight JM1. Versatility.

I, myself, would rather carry the bulk of extra capacity in a pocket rather than exhaust my hand with it. At least when it's not needed.

AND, I simply LOVE the freedom of never tying my wireless handset to a wire! Like my 18 volt Dewalt cordless power tools, battery swaps afford the option to power real tools with out ever suffering the tool itself to tie to a wire for performing mundane battery charging duties. Let dedicated battery chargers wire to a wall while my TRULY wireless 99 stays with ME. No need to stand watch while it charges. No need to carry chargers into motel rooms and then forget them... lol.

This 99's usb port hasn't worked since its "great fall", several months ago. Its charging contacts were also damaged in that fall. No problem. I've been powering it strictly with batteries swapped from charger in vehicle. TRUE wireless freedom!
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-15-17 at 08:56 AM.
    Ralph Morgotch likes this.
    07-15-17 08:39 AM
    Agreed, I also think that black chin looks good, adding some symmetry to the design (matching the 'BlackBerry' section at the top of the handset)

Just out of interest, do the white 9900 handsets always have a black trackpad, or is that another Ralph mod?
    Lol @ Ralph Mod.

Nope the new KB came that way but I like your thinking!! Too bad it wasn't a complete whited out KB with white TP too!

They were all black as far as I know

I just didn't like the black "chin" or "grin" or whatever we want to call it. It didn't look complete to me. I kinda wanted it to look like it could have been from the factory that way, otherwise to me it looked like a "Frankenstein 9900" as someone put it so eloquently last year

Side note: I am still travelling and checked the battery on the 9900 from sitting for a week and it was below dead! I was concerned that it would not be able to be recovered but fortunately no "red x" indicating. I promptly checked the other 2 spare batteries and conditioned them as well. To be fair I believe I packed them at 50% capacity because I read that it is not good to sit too long at FULL capacity.
    07-16-17 08:37 PM
    Some of Li batt capacity is frequently achieved thru "overcharge". The batt tolerates the overcharge for a while but prolonged overcharge can lead to long term damage. Somewhere around 50-70% might be considered optimal for long term storage, in some applications. The industry is still mighty steep in learning curve, tho.

Classic hot rod compromise... make more power with more rpm or more boost... OR, perhaps most reliably, more cubic inches... lol.

More cubic inches=better battery, imo.
    07-17-17 10:50 AM
    Haha... ever find the slider release for that "Torch keyboard" ?? Lol. I remember thinking that a 3.7" screen "Torch slider" with 1.2GHz processor had possibilities... never understood why they'd call a sliderless slab a "Torch"...??? Lol.

9860 sported reasonably future proofed specs, like our 99s, and a ToolBelt!
    Probably because they acquired a small company around that time called Torch - they were acquired for their browser software that BlackBerry would come to use on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-17 12:37 PM
    Some of Li batt capacity is frequently achieved thru "overcharge". The batt tolerates the overcharge for a while but prolonged overcharge can lead to long term damage. Somewhere around 50-70% might be considered optimal for long term storage, in some applications. The industry is still mighty steep in learning curve, tho.

Classic hot rod compromise... make more power with more rpm or more boost... OR, perhaps most reliably, more cubic inches... lol.

More cubic inches=better battery, imo.
    Yes and it's interesting, I was reading about how a battery being plugged in all night long is sort of like a muscle always being flexed eventually it's just wear and tear on it and that's why it might be better to just unplug it when it hits 100%. I installed the battery doctor app on my iPhone and even though the gauge on the phone says 100% it still needs to trickle charge about 45 minutes every time. ( the app tells you exactly when TRUE 100% is reached) Most people that do not use an app like that probably unplug the battery is soon as They see it at 100 or in the case of a BlackBerry seeing the little charge icon in the battery thinking that it's full, but it may not be.
    07-19-17 12:35 AM
    BIS in Greece?

I'm planning some travel. Can I just buy a local SIM and slip it into my unlocked 9900?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!

I am not sure if you have already left for your travels to beautiful Greece but here's been my experience with the 9900.

There were some BlackBerry 9900's that were sold in Greece but I am not sure what carriers supported BIS.

When I went with my 9900 in 2013, I was able to get a signal and use on wi-fi but I wasn't connected to BIS. I think I needed to get a different package with the major carrier in Greece (Cosmote). At the time it wasn't a big deal and the sales agent at the electronics store (Germanos) wasn't quite sure what to do. She was willing to call her tech line but truthfully I was in a rush.

In my subsequent visits to Greece I have taken an unlocked Q10, Classic and I will be taking my Passport here soon. They have never had issues getting the BlackBerry signal in the corner.

In any event good luck, you should be able to get BIS service if it's still supported by a major Greek carrier like Cosmote but I am not sure. I doubt BlackBerry was a major market for them and from my travels there it was mostly limited to governments and some hardcore fans, even when BlackBerry was the top phone in the market.

Have fun and enjoy the food and sunshine!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 09:22 PM
    I am not sure if you have already left for your travels to beautiful Greece but here's been my experience with the 9900.

There were some BlackBerry 9900's that were sold in Greece but I am not sure what carriers supported BIS.

When I went with my 9900 in 2013, I was able to get a signal and use on wi-fi but I wasn't connected to BIS. I think I needed to get a different package with the major carrier in Greece (Cosmote). At the time it wasn't a big deal and the sales agent at the electronics store (Germanos) wasn't quite sure what to do. She was willing to call her tech line but truthfully I was in a rush.

In my subsequent visits to Greece I have taken an unlocked Q10, Classic and I will be taking my Passport here soon. They have never had issues getting the BlackBerry signal in the corner.

In any event good luck, you should be able to get BIS service if it's still supported by a major Greek carrier like Cosmote but I am not sure. I doubt BlackBerry was a major market for them and from my travels there it was mostly limited to governments and some hardcore fans, even when BlackBerry was the top phone in the market.

Have fun and enjoy the food and sunshine!

Posted via CB10
    When I was in Germany with my Bold 9900 I've just purchased roaming data about 100MB and I didn't have to change SIM cards. Just when I arrived to the airport and left the plane, my Bold connected to local carrier network, BIS connection was enabled in max 2min. And everything works!

Just watch out for immigrants - there are plenty of them in Europe... :/ On the south especially. :/
    07-20-17 01:09 AM
    THANKS! -- and no, I haven't yet; probably in the fall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-20-17 08:43 AM
    Thanks! -- that does seem to be the minimum-hassle approach. When i went to India in 2013, I was still rocking a locked Z10 (my last locked phone), and my host just gave me a local cell phone. Now both my phones are unlocked. I'll probably take the Bold and do as you suggest.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-20-17 08:47 AM
    Feels so good tying on this thing.

Was updating some aps off my iphone and it looks like my Canadian bank still supports Blackberry. Yes there is the app in the App World for the 9900 but I don't think I would trust it (I should check to see, maybe it was updated) but I am assuming they are compatible with Android Blacknerries.

Ok now I have to check!

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    07-20-17 11:58 PM
    OK I'm kinda suprised, they pulled my bank's app from App World but it looks like all the other major Canadian banking apps are still there. (And my bank is also the most popular Canadian one for the US as well) I was curious when the last time some of them were last updated so I clicked "Full Description" and it only tells when the app was first launched now. I could have sworn that they had all that info for the updates before.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Yesterday 12:10 AM
    Here's a weird little find. I was on eBay one day and someone had a New-in-Box Motorola Flipout for sale. No one else bid on it so I won it for $5 + shipping. $19 total. It's on Android 2.1 'Eclair', so apps are scarce, but I found old versions of Opera Mini and Podtrapper that still work. Email and the calendar still sync via exchange activesync, but contacts did not. So I just sent my contacts to the phone via bluetooth. The keys on keyboard are harder to press than a BlackBerry, but quite good in any case. Kind of a fun little device.
    Last edited by Shuswap; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.
    Yesterday 10:09 AM
    Here's a weird little find. I was on eBay one day and someone had a New-in-Box Motorola Flipout for sale. No one else bid on it so I won it for $5 + shipping. $19 total. It's on Android 2.1 'Eclair', so apps are scarce, but I found old versions of Opera Mini and Podtrapper that still work. Email and the calendar still sync via exchange activesync, but contacts did not. So I just sent my contacts to the phone via bluetooth. The keys on keyboard are harder to press than a BlackBerry, but quite good in any case. Kind of a fun little device. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4c6f723282.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...afa2e7ca4a.jpg
    Ha! I remember seeing those, or reading about them. I wonder if with heavy use would the hinge get looser and looser, how does it feel?

Before 2011 I was big into Motorola.
    Yesterday 11:38 AM
    Ha! I remember seeing those, or reading about them. I wonder if with heavy use would the hinge get looser and looser, how does it feel?

Before 2011 I was big into Motorola.
    Actually, the hinge was quite a surprise. It feels like it was hand-made by a team of German machinists. It's very tight and turns so smoothly. I am totally impressed.

The flip action is slightly addictive
    Yesterday 11:50 AM
    Actually, the hinge was quite a surprise. It feels like it was hand-made by a team of German machinists. It's very tight and turns so smoothly. I am totally impressed.

I hope so! I seem to recall some store demos and the hinge was pretty loose.

I had 3 Motorolas and one Nokia before 2011 if I recall.

I remember wanting an HTC Dream. Those were pretty much the first Androids that I recall. The swivel hinge on that was so cool, and Thay was a pretty huge phone imo.

PS: can you answer a call on this thing without swivelling it open?

I say "recall" a lot.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; Yesterday at 05:58 PM.
    Yesterday 04:22 PM

I found it under the name "Flipout."

http://motorola.mobilephonesbrands.c...pout-1318.html
    Yesterday 06:02 PM
    PS: can you answer a call on this thing without swivelling it open?
    No. You can't place or answer a call without opening it.
    Ralph Morgotch likes this.
    Yesterday 08:20 PM
6,045 ... 240241242