... I think more people, the ones I know anyway, are actually using Facebook less and I find this ironic because Facebook is getting more useful
    The word you're looking for is "insidious."

...It's almost like to have the most state-of-the-art device, and be able to do more with it, you have to give up the most of your privacy or security.
    -- only because we put up with it being that way.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-11-17 03:26 PM
    The word you're looking for is "insidious."

!
    Good horror movie
    05-11-17 04:35 PM
    A coworker & wife recently felt "publicly ostracized" at a parent's meeting for failing to post photos on fb of their child at a preschool graduation... !! Go figure... he reports that they acted like "we did it... what's your problem?". And someone apparently commented something like: "your daughter will be mad at you when she grows up and learns you didn't post her photo...". WTH!! ??? Are we facing a future where NOT posting on fb might represent "child abuse".??? Lol.
    They may end up regretting their decision. Already in France parents are warned NOT to post. There can be a large fine and it seems when the children grow up and come of legal age, they can sue their parents for any posts that were done without their permission.

My philosophy is we should not screw with the kids lives online. They can do that for themselves when they grow up. Most people don't realize the Internet is "permanent". One day the kids will grow up, someone will be the one running for public office and someone will be digging up the most ridiculous & embarrassing photos that they never even knew where online.

I've heard of kids taking "revenge" on their parents by posting photos & articles about their parents online without their permission. This usually stops the parents pretty quickly once they realize what it feels like when the shoe is on the other foot.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 12:32 AM
    Don't give in!

I just can't be on social networks. I read Super Sad True Love Story a few years ago. It's a satire in which everyone has a little device on which they can comment on everyone else and see their credit, personality, and f***ability scores when they walk into a room. In fact, there are lamp-post style poles on the streets that flash your scores as you walk beneath them. LOL. It still makes me laugh but it's way too close to the truth, as good satire should be.
    The truth is probably worse.
    Give this a read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-democracy

See how you might feel about FB and the like now. There's more at stake than just hacking some personal data.

Problem is people like us are going to start to look veeeery suspicious to the authorities...

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) and Sue-zz like this.
    05-12-17 12:40 AM
    The truth is probably worse.
    Give this a read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-democracy
    It's extremely hard to eradicate FaceBook snooping even on forums like this one with embedded FaceBook logins. One of the great features of the Bold and other Bis-Berries was their pre-SocMed design. Still, BB10 comes with FaceBook and Twitter pre-installed, as though it's some sort of absolute need.

Trouble is, as pointed out here and many other places, nothing ever gets deleted in the 'Cloud' and there is zero control over what happens now to your data, or what happens in the future. It would be extremely distressing for children to see their deceased parent's data being used, for instance.

So; firewalls on. I need just $2,000,000 to crowdfund an Android-Free Bold Shaped Telephonic Object, with only Phone/SMS, Email/Calendar and a rigid firewall on it. Bound to be a success. :-)
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 05-12-17 at 05:52 AM.
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    05-12-17 05:34 AM
    It's extremely hard to eradicate FaceBook snooping even on forums like this one with embedded FaceBook logins. One of the great features of the Bold and other Bis-Berries was their pre-SocMed design. Still, BB10 comes with FaceBook and Twitter pre-installed, as though it's some sort of absolute need.

Trouble is, as pointed out here and many other places, nothing ever gets deleted in the 'Cloud' and there is zero control over what happens now to your data, or what happens in the future. It would be extremely distressing for children to see their deceased parent's data being used, for instance.

So; firewalls on. I need just $2,000,000 to crowdfund an Android-Free Bold Shaped Telephonic Object, with only Phone/SMS, Email/Calendar and a rigid firewall on it. Bound to be a success. :-)
    Also perhaps something else to consider is that even if the apps didn't exist that allow snooping like Facebook, snapchat, etc. We still have governments that can turn on the camera and microphone and do what they want. We also have TV's from manufacturers like Samsung that were caught listening to people in their living rooms. There are children's "smart" teddy bears that record what people say and then send the data back to the company via wifi for various marketing purposes, etc.

I think there might be a bigger picture here and it is indicating that privacy is dead, and they want you to have fun playing with our toys......I mean phones, so we forget about all the intrusions
    05-12-17 10:08 AM
    Sorry about getting back to an earlier concern, but has anyone figured out the issues with having to "validate" any Microsoft email account (@live or @outlook) on a Bold?

Thanks!
    05-12-17 06:18 PM
    Sorry about getting back to an earlier concern, but has anyone figured out the issues with having to "validate" any Microsoft email account (@live or @outlook) on a Bold?

Thanks!
    I'm becoming more & more convinced that the other phones & devices reporting legitimate ip locations to MS is "pheaking" MS. So to speak. Lol. Try shutting off a @hotmail (or?) account on ALL of your other devices, PCs, etc and then see how hotmail behaves on your 99. A coworker's hotmail on 99 has been flawless for nearly two days since shutting off sync to the same account on ALL other devices. Mine has been flawless since this morning after doing likewise. No pain for me since 99 is my routine carry anyway. And I don't use hotmail much out of frustration with similar issues on our wwan equipped toughbooks. Still too early to know if this is a real mitigation. But, if so, I plan to set up a 9900 only hotmail account to forward from old account that everything else is syncing from. Far from elegant but when has anything MS ever been elegant? Lol.
    05-12-17 08:28 PM
    Also perhaps something else to consider is that even if the apps didn't exist that allow snooping like Facebook, snapchat, etc. We still have governments that can turn on the camera and microphone and do what they want. We also have TV's from manufacturers like Samsung that were caught listening to people in their living rooms. There are children's "smart" teddy bears that record what people say and then send the data back to the company via wifi for various marketing purposes, etc.

I think there might be a bigger picture here and it is indicating that privacy is dead, and they want you to have fun playing with our toys......I mean phones, so we forget about all the intrusions
    It's worth pondering the data available from these devices... front and rear camera, microphone, messages, browsing habits, CONTACT lists, calendar, GPS(!!!), etc... Most packaged in embedded battery "soft off" handsets....

No matter how much we might trust Google (haha) with that mountain of data, how long before someone less trustworthy "yahoo's" them?? Or, even more malevolent government actors... lol. Ponder just how efficiently the planet's next "Stalin" might conduct future purges with access to that mountain of data...??? the engineer in me marvels at such potential for "efficiency"... lol. At least my 99's battery can be pulled...
    05-12-17 08:47 PM

Thanks!
    Did you check back in here this last week? Some of us contacted Microsoft and we did post the findings. When I first checked the Downdetector app there were no reports but by 2 days later 20% of the problems were related to this issue. So I don't think it is isolated to Blackberry.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-12-17 08:51 PM
    It's worth pondering the data available from these devices... front and rear camera, microphone, messages, browsing habits, CONTACT lists, calendar, GPS(!!!), etc... Most packaged in embedded battery "soft off" handsets....

No matter how much we might trust Google (haha) with that mountain of data, how long before someone less trustworthy "yahoo's" them?? Or, even more malevolent government actors... lol. Ponder just how efficiently the planet's next "Stalin" might conduct future purges with access to that mountain of data...??? the engineer in me marvels at such potential for "efficiency"... lol. At least my 99's battery can be pulled...
    Did you hear about the big hack in the news today? It was a bank or banks in England. They are holding the information ransom until the banks pay. They used stolen NSA encryption to hack them somehow.
    05-12-17 08:54 PM
    Just posting in case this is of value to any of you: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=y-nv_bpR

This is the Verizon sign up for BIS of all things. Do any of you have full BOS functionality with Verizon? I will apologize in advance if this has already been addressed.
    05-12-17 08:58 PM
    Did you hear about the big hack in the news today? It was a bank or banks in England. They are holding the information ransom until the banks pay. They used stolen NSA encryption to hack them somehow.
    A little honest decency makes life SO much more efficient. Self esteem derives from accomplishment. How did destruction get redefined as accomplishment? Those crooks will need their illegitimate gains to buy "self esteem" in a bottle. Go figure.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-12-17 09:04 PM

It won't be long with a certain country's 'interesting' president in power. Someone pointed out that there already exists a very large database of Muslims (or Jews or whatever group you want to pick on) in the guise of Facebook. Everyone has already willingly given up all that info by themselves. Even if not, by what you read & post & your friends it could be inferred with a great deal of accuracy.
    When do you think someone will abuse that database?

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-12-17 10:06 PM
    It won't be long with a certain country's 'interesting' president in power. Someone pointed out that there already exists a very large database of Muslims (or Jews or whatever group you want to pick on) in the guise of Facebook. Everyone has already willingly given up all that info by themselves. Even if not, by what you read & post & your friends it could be inferred with a great deal of accuracy.
    When do you think someone will abuse that database?

Posted via CB10
    WHEN? Haha... Tomorrow? Next year? Next century?? Last year? Human history, and pre-history, is dominated with SOMEone, somewhere, leveraging what they know about others. An inevitable mechanism essential to efficient coordination of collective effort. As among herds, packs, prides, flocks, etc it works marvelously efficiently at family level where it's modulated by mutual compassion... Aka "family love". That mechanism extrapolates reasonably well into tribal & village levels where everyone still knows each other's name. Experiments with extrapolation of those instinctive mechanisms into macro level coordination, tho, have met with pretty much universally catastrophic failure, these past dozen+ millenia. Our wondrous two+ century experiment in self determination is really a minutely transient "blink of an eye" anomaly within a far too typically tyrannical human experience. Is the precariously precious nature of our current experiment truly appreciated by generations born into it?

Brains evolved, in no small part, to process data from past experiences in effort to predict future outcomes. Our "crystal ball" into an otherwise unknowable future. Data is essential to that processing effort. Knowledge is power! Abuse of that knowledge, however, has proven deadly... Time after time after time... Lol.

When? My "crystal ball" is as foggy as any. "What", however, is virtually a forgone certainty... SOME century... based on history, at least...

I'm just glad I can pull the battery from my 9900... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-13-17 at 07:33 AM.
    05-13-17 07:02 AM
    Did anyone know the Line Messenger had ended their support for BlackBerry just like Whatsapp, on the Line website it says that no new accounts can be created after Thursday April 27th. When i re-loaded the OS on my phone i couldn't re-register my number, the same with Whatsapp, it is really sad that it has come to this, Line isn't even a popular app, i asked many friends if they know it and they said they never heard of it, they know BBM over Line, yet Line thinks that it is on the same level as Whatsapp haha.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-13-17 07:35 AM
    Did anyone know the Line Messenger had ended their support for BlackBerry just like Whatsapp, on the Line website it says that no new accounts can be created after Thursday April 27th. When i re-loaded the OS on my phone i couldn't re-register my number, the same with Whatsapp, it is really sad that it has come to this, Line isn't even a popular app, i asked many friends if they know it and they said they never heard of it, they know BBM over Line, yet Line thinks that it is on the same level as Whatsapp haha.

Ralph gave me the heads up that LINE was ending support a couple of weeks ago. He saw it on some website. Anyways, there is a note that the end of support is coming in the working and dead apps list.

When I first got my 9900, I made LINE, WeChat, and Kik accounts. The only one I ever used was Kik, because one of my friends had it. I've had Whatsapp forever and a few people I know have it, but we never use it.

In Canada, it seems SMS and iMessage predominate. Owing to the way it works, most of the iMessage users I know are barely aware they're using it. It's more of a class thing for them: iPhone-less peons get green messages and don't have proper emoji support. :P
    05-13-17 10:07 AM

Line is pretty huge in places like the Philippines, Indonesia, etc and there is another I used for a while called Kakao Talk, it is Korean but I think it is too new for the 9990's App Store, might be worth a look.
    05-13-17 10:22 AM

Depends on where you are. I believe LINE originated over in Japan and I know tons of people over in Asia who use it. If you check the global numbers, LINE monthly active users are about twice BBM and iMessage. Total accounts I think stats have it in the 700-800 million range and they actually have revenue. To the tune of over $1billion, so nothing to sneeze at.

I'm surprised they even had a BB app as I didn't think BlackBerry had any significant market share in Asia other than Indonesia, which had been dominated by BBM anyways.

This is why this whole instant messaging thing is ridiculous. Everybody has their own app, there is no global consensus and people on one system can't talk to the other. Completely defeats the purpose of a global communication system.
    If the concern was to connect people instead of scraping their data, they would pick an open standard and stick with it. May the best client win but use the same underlying protocol.
    05-13-17 11:04 AM
    This is why this whole instant messaging thing is ridiculous. Everybody has their own app, there is no global consensus and people on one system can't talk to the other. Completely defeats the purpose of a global communication system.
    If the concern was to connect people instead of scraping their data, they would pick an open standard and stick with it. May the best client win but use the same underlying protocol.
    This makes me feel old. MSN and Yahoo! Messenger were once interoperable. Sigh.
    05-13-17 11:35 AM
    Ralph gave me the heads up that LINE was ending support a couple of weeks ago. He saw it on some website. Anyways, there is a note that the end of support is coming in the working and dead apps list.

When I first got my 9900, I made LINE, WeChat, and Kik accounts. The only one I ever used was Kik, because one of my friends had it. I've had Whatsapp forever and a few people I know have it, but we never use it.

In Canada, it seems SMS and iMessage predominate. Owing to the way it works, most of the iMessage users I know are barely aware they're using it. It's more of a class thing for them: iPhone-less peons get green messages and don't have proper emoji support. :P
    Thankfully i was still able to get WeChat and VK to continue to work after the OS re-load, there are increasingly less apps to use on the OS7 platform, people seem to be incredibly reluctant to download BBM.

05-13-17 12:01 PM
    Line is pretty huge in places like the Philippines, Indonesia, etc and there is another I used for a while called Kakao Talk, it is Korean but I think it is too new for the 9990's App Store, might be worth a look.
    I had KaKao but it didn't work and i deleted it, there's a lot of apps still in the app world that you can download but have no support and don't work.

05-13-17 12:02 PM
    Depends on where you are. I believe LINE originated over in Japan and I know tons of people over in Asia who use it. If you check the global numbers, LINE monthly active users are about twice BBM and iMessage. Total accounts I think stats have it in the 700-800 million range and they actually have revenue. To the tune of over $1billion, so nothing to sneeze at.

I'm surprised they even had a BB app as I didn't think BlackBerry had any significant market share in Asia other than Indonesia, which had been dominated by BBM anyways.

Line was going to be my whatsapp replacement, but i guess it wasn't meant to be, i do think in the coming months i might buy a Classic because i don't use my Priv in public much in case i drop it or it gets stolen (theft is a huge problem here). I doubt i would be able to convince my friends to download BBM to communicate with them, the most popular app is Whatsapp.

05-13-17 12:05 PM
    This makes me feel old. MSN and Yahoo! Messenger were once interoperable. Sigh.
    All the original I.M clients have been killed off for many years, which makes me believe that in a few years Whatsapp, Snap Chat and these type of apps will lose popularity, something better and improved will come out and they will be left struggling like what they did the original I.M clients.

05-13-17 12:07 PM
    Line was going to be my whatsapp replacement, but i guess it wasn't meant to be, i do think in the coming months i might buy a Classic because i don't use my Priv in public much in case i drop it or it gets stolen (theft is a huge problem here). I doubt i would be able to convince my friends to download BBM to communicate with them, the most popular app is Whatsapp.

How about Viber for the 9900? What's the status on that
    05-13-17 05:09 PM
8,754 ... 225226227228229 ...