Merry belated Christmas and safe New Year to all fellow 99ers! . My official retirement party coincides with New Year party... promising to be quite an excuse for quite a bash! For the younger participants, at least. Lol.

Sadly, my beloved 8 year old Agent class 99.30 has peacefully passed in her sleep. Working fine all day Saturday only find her unresponsive Sunday morning.

SOooo... since Verizon refuses to permit "new" 3g 99 activations, and ATT coverage is useless out here, I'm typing this Holiday Greeting on a VZW Classic. Sorry.

Classic truly is about as good as it gets in filling 99's role. Size, keyboard design and UX deficiencies conspire to handicap proficiency to about 85% of 99, tho. Imo. Nothing new about that realization. Somewhat unprepared for the fatigue by day's end, tho. Gigantic K's and D60 inflict even greater fatigue, tho. Sure miss Agent99.30!! Lol.

At least WiFi only ATT 99s have still served admirably for their role in authoring & editing equipment instruction & service manuals these recent months. 99's exquisite single handed proficiency has contributed real time procedure refinement via hands on plant operator collaboration. Just one more use case our giants just aren't as well optimized for. Fwiw.

I'll likely continue authoring manuals as a "semi retirement" activity. Management has made an offer even my wife couldn't refuse! I've accepted the contract with option for annual renewal. 9900's exquisite typing experience will continue a significant role even in my "retirement"! Lol.
    RaybanRJ and mushroom_daddy like this.
    12-30-19 04:11 AM
    Merry belated Christmas and safe New Year to all fellow 99ers! . My official retirement party coincides with New Year party... promising to be quite an excuse for quite a bash! For the younger participants, at least. Lol.

Sadly, my beloved 8 year old Agent class 99.30 has peacefully passed in her sleep. Working fine all day Saturday only find her unresponsive Sunday morning.

SOooo... since Verizon refuses to permit "new" 3g 99 activations, and ATT coverage is useless out here, I'm typing this Holiday Greeting on a VZW Classic. Sorry.

Classic truly is about as good as it gets in filling 99's role. Size, keyboard design and UX deficiencies conspire to handicap proficiency to about 85% of 99, tho. Imo. Nothing new about that realization. Somewhat unprepared for the fatigue by day's end, tho. Gigantic K's and D60 inflict even greater fatigue, tho. Sure miss Agent99.30!! Lol.

At least WiFi only ATT 99s have still served admirably for their role in authoring & editing equipment instruction & service manuals these recent months. 99's exquisite single handed proficiency has contributed real time procedure refinement via hands on plant operator collaboration. Just one more use case our giants just aren't as well optimized for. Fwiw.

I'll likely continue authoring manuals as a "semi retirement" activity. Management has made an offer even my wife couldn't refuse! I've accepted the contract with option for annual renewal. 9900's exquisite typing experience will continue a significant role even in my "retirement"! Lol.
    Yup merry Christmas everyone and happy new year
    idssteve and mushroom_daddy like this.
    12-30-19 11:15 AM
    Don’t throw it away. Keep 99.30 as souvenir forever, or if you’re not sentimental, send it to one if us for safe-keeping.
    12-30-19 03:08 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Did VZW activate the Classic for you, or did you already have it activated?

Others have stated that the BB10 phones didn't meet Verizon's VoLTE (or HD Voice as they call it) requirements, and weren't being activated on new lines either. Which seemed strange because I remember HD Voice on my Z10.
    12-30-19 03:36 PM
    Sorry for your loss.

Did VZW activate the Classic for you, or did you already have it activated?

Others have stated that the BB10 phones didn't meet Verizon's VoLTE (or HD Voice as they call it) requirements, and weren't being activated on new lines either. Which seemed strange because I remember HD Voice on my Z10.
    This particular Classic has been activated as a backup for this very scenario. It's well worn as part of my "double fisted" simultaneous use. Years of practice with it is now paying off with a transition that's going about as painless as possible. As planned.

Afaik, VZW no longer activates Classics. We do have activated Classics and 9930s to choose from but not sure how CDMA sunset impacts those in coming weeks. ?? I know that VZW CDMA coverage has gotten "strange" in some locales. Virtually all of our Agent99.30s have been suffering some frustrating coverage related maladies. Including some GPS dependent functions. For SOME reason. I'd already planned to break out Classic after upcoming retirement party. Sadly, Agent99.30 succumbed just a few days short.
    12-30-19 04:40 PM
    Don’t throw it away. Keep 99.30 as souvenir forever, or if you’re not sentimental, send it to one if us for safe-keeping.
    Oh yes, she will be preserved. Possibly even repaired.

The thing had grown so hardwired to brain's communications centers that my left hand feels quite strange without her... sort of like losing a thumb... or tongue? Or both?? If that makes sense. Lol.
    12-30-19 04:51 PM
    This particular Classic has been activated as a backup for this very scenario. It's well worn as part of my "double fisted" simultaneous use. Years of practice with it is now paying off with a transition that's going about as painless as possible. As planned.

Afaik, VZW no longer activates Classics. We do have activated Classics and 9930s to choose from but not sure how CDMA sunset impacts those in coming weeks. ?? I know that VZW CDMA coverage has gotten "strange" in some locales. Virtually all of our Agent99.30s have been suffering some frustrating coverage related maladies. Including some GPS dependent functions. For SOME reason. I'd already planned to break out Classic after upcoming retirement party. Sadly, Agent99.30 succumbed just a few days short.
    CDMA sunset doesn't take place now until 01/01/2021, so you have a year.

If VZW is correct and they don't work with their HD Voice.... you have a year to use them. I'm just not sure if they are really not compatible or not.....
    12-31-19 07:12 AM
    CDMA sunset doesn't take place now until 01/01/2021, so you have a year.

If VZW is correct and they don't work with their HD Voice.... you have a year to use them. I'm just not sure if they are really not compatible or not.....
    Good info! Thanks! Too occupied with other things to keep up, I guess. Lol. Sounds like that might extend life of existing activations, at least. Still, last I heard VZW won't activate "cdma capable" handsets. Last I heard. I personally tried new 9930s with no success. Not sure why they wouldn't permit LTE capable Classic but several coworkers and IT claim a no go on that also.... ?? Makes no sense to me either but what's new? Lol.

I do know that our 9930s have been suffering data, voice and even GPS deficiencies in areas that once performed flawlessly on 3g vzw. Interestingly, we're experiencing some surprisingly improved ATT-9900 coverage in some locales that were "dead" to ATT just 6 months ago. ?? Still useless at one significant job site, tho. Not sure what to make of it all but will certainly squeeze what we can from our already activated VZW stuff.
    12-31-19 09:17 AM
    BTW, two of my "smart guys" report high confidence they might yet resurrect Agent99.30 herself... ?? Hopes cautiously elevated!!
    12-31-19 09:26 AM
    Good info! Thanks! Too occupied with other things to keep up, I guess. Lol. Sounds like that might extend life of existing activations, at least. Still, last I heard VZW won't activate "cdma capable" handsets. Last I heard. I personally tried new 9930s with no success. Not sure why they wouldn't permit LTE capable Classic but several coworkers and IT claim a no go on that also.... ?? Makes no sense to me either but what's new? Lol.

I do know that our 9930s have been suffering data, voice and even GPS deficiencies in areas that once performed flawlessly on 3g vzw. Interestingly, we're experiencing some surprisingly improved ATT-9900 coverage in some locales that were "dead" to ATT just 6 months ago. ?? Still useless at one significant job site, tho. Not sure what to make of it all but will certainly squeeze what we can from our already activated VZW stuff.
    You should be able to replace existing CDMA hardware with same type CDMA hardware still. It’s new CDMA lines that aren’t being activated on VZW as I understood it.
    12-31-19 04:26 PM
    Saw this kicking around the Facebook buy and sell groups, it looks identical to the white 9780 I got in 2011 brand new, but this could be a 9700 not sure. Would have to see the back and if it had the fake leather pattern then it would definitely be a 9780

02-02-20 01:52 PM
    Reads news about TCL. No more Blackdroids! Looks at my 9900. Shrugs. Keeps using 9900.

Email works, BIS works, texts, calls, ereader all work. Anything else, I use my ipad. Done!
    02-05-20 02:55 PM
    Question for you guys... Are you able to access your email settings using other providers? I'm on TMobile in NYC and have hit the wall on this problem. (See my first post https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13484961) and the follow-ups.

I just loathe the idea of giving up my 9900. The key features work fine, and do so love this phone.
    02-11-20 02:54 PM
    Last year I tried to re-activate my Classic on Verizon and they said they would not do that. At that time I switched to AT&T with the hopes of doing better than activating my Classic and activating my 9900. Unfortunately they weren't able to activate the 9900 (as all of you are already aware).

I'd pay good money to any provider to be able to activate a 9900 but none of them of course will do it.

At least I have my Classic working though.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-20 10:16 PM
    Last year I tried to re-activate my Classic on Verizon and they said they would not do that. At that time I switched to AT&T with the hopes of doing better than activating my Classic and activating my 9900. Unfortunately they weren't able to activate the 9900 (as all of you are already aware).

I'd pay good money to any provider to be able to activate a 9900 but none of them of course will do it.

Posted via CB10
    They wouldn't activate BlackBerry internet service (BIS), nor will freedom mobile in Canada, it's no longer active with the carrier, sadly. Doesn't mean you can't just throw in your SIM to the 9900 and use it as a hotspot for the classic.
    02-15-20 10:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    ATT has activated at least a couple dozen 9900s for my company since Nov. No problem at all... Where are you? I'm in US.
    02-16-20 02:07 PM
    I read somewhere that ATT has stopped activating and reactivating HSPA moderns in 2/2020, ahead of a 2022 3g sunset. That would affect the 9900s. Can anyone confirm? I’m not going to take the Sim out of my 9900, just in case.
    02-16-20 03:13 PM
    ATT has activated at least a couple dozen 9900s for my company since Nov. No problem at all... Where are you? I'm in US.

I have AT&T in the U.S. In fact, I specifically switched to it from Verizon because I had read here that they were my best bet for the 9900.

This was several months ago and I think I even called in to get it to work. Do you think I just had a bad CSR? Or maybe I'd have better luck going into a store?

I would love more than anything to have my 9900 activated. I would have never pulled the SIM out of my 9930 a couple years back if I knew I wouldn't be able to activate again.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-20 03:48 PM
    I have AT&T in the U.S. In fact, I specifically switched to it from Verizon because I had read here that they were my best bet for the 9900.

This was several months ago and I think I even called in to get it to work. Do you think I just had a bad CSR? Or maybe I'd have better luck going into a store?

I would love more than anything to have my 9900 activated. I would have never pulled the SIM out of my 9930 a couple years back if I knew I wouldn't be able to activate again.

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what I did with this very 9900. Just after Christmas. I stopped at an ATT store while passing thru Santa Fe NM. Mostly anticipating complications with moving my existing line # to my att account from vzw. In fact, the girl didn't seem to really know what bis was but never mattered. She entered the #s and a new sim and I entered sign in and set up email right there. Already had the 99 transfered along with latest OS.

Biggest headache was calling vzw to release my old #. Vzw was very helpful but some "ownership" issues had to get resolved with my company that I'm now "retired" from. Lol. Quickly addressed in a conference call with IT. Once set up, everything worked like a champ. Has since.

Interestingly, the vzw guy we worked with volunteered that he might possibly get a 9930 back on to vzw. He said he's gotten it to "take" after the 5th try, if I understood right...?? Unfortunately my old Agent 99.30 is still awaiting repair before I can try that.
    02-16-20 04:14 PM
    First post from my PinePhone. I'm running Sailfish OS, but there are about five other operating systems under development right now.

Still a little rough, but functional!
    mushroom_daddy and idssteve like this.
    02-23-20 05:32 PM
    First post from my PinePhone. I'm running Sailfish OS, but there are about five other operating systems under development right now.

Still a little rough, but functional!
    *googles what a PinePhone is*
    02-23-20 08:10 PM
    *googles what a PinePhone is*
    It's an open hardware phone that you can install any linux-based operating system on -- and possibly non-linux operating systems too.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    02-23-20 09:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is the phone a VZW branded or AT&T branded model?
    02-24-20 06:45 PM
    A 9930 will never work on ATT. It lacks the bands. Sorry. Get a true 9900 instead. The 9930 will work on Tmobile but you won’t get BIS and it may only be 2g.

There is however the question of whether ATT is still activating new 3g phones...
    02-24-20 09:19 PM
    A 9930 will never work on ATT. It lacks the bands. Sorry. Get a true 9900 instead. The 9930 will work on Tmobile but you won’t get BIS and it may only be 2g.

There is however the question of whether ATT is still activating new 3g phones...
    If the 9900 is AT&T branded, a new SIM, when activated by CSR in store, could and should provision BIS automatically. I did AT&T branded 9860 that CSR swore couldn’t activate BIS and was shocked when it auto-provisioned
    Laura Knotek and idssteve like this.
    02-24-20 09:46 PM
8,754 ... 343344345346347 ...