Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.[/b]
    You are on an Android One device I see! LOL maybe that answers the email question?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-14-19 08:35 AM
    One thing I have noted: YouTube no longer seems to work on the native browser. The video forms & text blurbs just appear as blank basic geometric shapes & there's no interactivity Until or unless I find a fix, am using Opera but not signing in of course. In any case I do not watch a lot of YouTube, & especially not on mobile.

10-14-19 08:41 AM
    You are with Telus I seem to recall but cannot recall what you've said about Telus & BIS.

Telus does have BIS.

But I'm with Koodo prepaid, which does not have it. Public (also a Telus flanker brand) and Lucky (Bell) don't have BIS either. So if you're low usage and don't want to overpay, you have to work around the BIS issue or change phones.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-14-19 at 09:20 AM.
    10-14-19 09:04 AM
    You are on an Android One device I see! LOL maybe that answers the email question?

The Mi A1 serves as my mini-tablet/TV remote at home. I didn't need or want a 7-10 inch tablet, so I bought an Android phone instead and found a Sony TV remote app for it.

At work, I use Win10/Outlook for email. At home, Debian/Thunderbird.

Most of the time, my email client is closed at work because my work is very independent and I'm much more productive without interruptions. Fortunately, I rarely receive time-sensitive emails and the people who really need a response know my phone extension.

Having said that, I know that turning off your email at work is a luxury that a lot of people don't have any more.
    10-14-19 09:17 AM
    One thing I have noted: YouTube no longer seems to work on the native browser.

That just happened a month or two ago. Aside from Opera Mini, you can use an alternative Youtube site called invidio.us with the Bold's native browser.
    10-14-19 09:23 AM
    Wow thanks for all the answers & explanations.

Going to try that alternative YouTube site thank you.

Strange to think about all the snow out west when we just finished having a week of glorious summer like weather.
    I feel for everyone out there. Only two months I've never seen snow in this neck of the woods: July & August

Posted via CB10
    10-14-19 09:38 AM
    It seems that in the US it's getting a bit more complicated to get BIS activated these days.
    What IS the situation in the US?
    Can anyone summarise?

I recently had a family member move to California. Would my 9900 function normally (that is, data connection enabled) if I went to visit? I'm guessing better just to leave it at home & bring my iPhone . Or bring both

Posted via CB10
    10-14-19 09:45 AM
    kinda stunned that when I power down the 9900 with the "hang up" button yesterday, half the battery was still gone by morning. I thought powering down would eliminate any drain. Remeber I am loaning the 99 to a family member that will be travelling for one day and I wanted to keep it charged before they leave, because they will never charge it, nor would they know how because they never had a cell phone before. I guess there is likely no way around this.

EDIT: NVM. For someone elderly the 9900 is too complicated, even putting a battery into it can be a task for some. So not going to bother. Too many buttons and not enough patience.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Last edited by RJ Oakley; 10-14-19 at 01:14 PM.
    10-14-19 12:48 PM
    BIS works on my postpaid ATT account. I use 9900 still.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-14-19 03:08 PM
    I might add that BIS does not in fact cost any extra. When I got my Bold in 2015 or 16 I was assured there was no extra charge for it. When I recently switched to Rogers I was informed that it has been many years since there was an extra charge.
    Thanks for the update, I didn't realize that. I haven't changed my plan for 10 years. I have monthly data limit of 500 MB. BIS has data compression and my average monthly usage is only around 150 MB, well below the limit, so there was no need to change anything.

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-15-19 12:43 AM
    BIS works on my postpaid ATT account. I use 9900 still.
    Good old AT&T

Posted via CB10
    10-15-19 07:57 AM
    Thanks for the update, I didn't realize that. I haven't changed my plan for 10 years. I have monthly data limit of 500 MB. BIS has data compression and my average monthly usage is only around 150 MB, well below the limit, so there was no need to change anything.

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app
    Ya data compression the Rogers fellow mentioned that. Wow 150 good for you

Posted via CB10
    10-15-19 07:58 AM
    I was using my 9900 until about a week ago. Then, I switched to my Lumia 830 for fun. Now, I learn that Microsoft is shutting down the WP app store. So, no app store for BBOS or WP in a few months!

In disgust! I switched to my Palm Pre3. A little sad that this ten year old device will have an app store (of sorts) still but these others will not...
    10-17-19 07:49 PM
    I was using my 9900 until about a week ago. Then, I switched to my Lumia 830 for fun. Now, I learn that Microsoft is shutting down the WP app store. So, no app store for BBOS or WP in a few months!

In disgust! I switched to my Palm Pre3. A little sad that this ten year old device will have an app store (of sorts) still but these others will not...
    Is Preware still working? Or are you using the FTP server for apps?

I haven't used my Pre3 for quite a while, mostly because the Bold is better for offline syncing.
    10-17-19 11:16 PM
    I just loaded something from Preware today. It worked. The FTP server is hard to connect to.
    The Pre3 is great as a basic phone, plus e-reader. I like to use it because my batteries last a long time on it! The 9900, however, remains tops in terms of PDA functionality.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    10-18-19 10:56 PM

Fascinating...

Would you care to hypothesize? To what would you ascribe this difference? This disparity?

10-19-19 09:06 PM
    Fascinating...

Would you care to hypothesize? To what would you ascribe this difference? This disparity?

Well, since there's no answer this far in... I'll inject my opinion.

The HP App Catalog shut down a few years ago. In that respect, BlackBerry's official app store has lasted much longer than the Palm/HP store.

What remains is an open source app -- called Preware -- which links you to free and open source software that people have uploaded somewhere online.

The other option is an FTP (file transfer protocol) server in Europe that hosts over 6000 pirated apps. There's a pretty good FTP app for webOS, so you can actually search the FTP server and install apps right on the device. On the other hand, browsing that collection is a monumental PITA. Of course, you could use SFTP or FileZilla on a computer for a better experience and then transfer the app files to the device.

I created an app store for BlackBerry 7, but it only links to freely available software on the web, more and more of which is not working. You can download it at: http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/QuickApps.jad
    10-20-19 07:55 PM
    Awesome thanks Shuswap I'm bookmarking your app store!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-19 08:01 AM
    You can also download every single app you might need or want from the Appworld. Then, use blackberry desktop manager to save backup to your desktop. You can create JAD files later to reinstall to any BBOS phone in future., even long after the appworld is dead. This is tedious but works.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    10-21-19 03:15 PM
    Oh whoa. OK that's an amazing bit of advice right there. Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-19 06:14 PM
    Wait what’s the way to open jads again? Sorry having brain fog
    10-21-19 06:49 PM
    You will need to find and download BBSAK (blackberry swiss army knife) and BBHTools. The BBHTools will allow you to create a JAD file. There are links somewhere in this 9900 forum.

I did it for my Amazon Kindle app, which I installed on BBOS devices with no BBID and no appworld.
    Shuswap posted a walk-through on the process in this huge thread somewhere a while back.
    10-21-19 08:11 PM
    You will need to find and download BBSAK (blackberry swiss army knife) and BBHTools. The BBHTools will allow you to create a JAD file. There are links somewhere in this 9900 forum.

I did it for my Amazon Kindle app, which I installed on BBOS devices with no BBID and no appworld.
    Shuswap posted a walk-through on the process in this huge thread somewhere a while back.
    I need to find that and post it to my site -- and the certificate instructions too. A task for the weekend.
    10-21-19 10:19 PM
    Wow right OK. Excellent!

Thank you Nguyen 1 and thank you Shuswap. Maybe post a link when it's up? No rush

PS I used to have Swiss Army Knife on my computer. Not sure if that was before or after I had to replace my HDD

Posted via CB10
    10-22-19 12:25 PM
    Some topics related to BBOS devices require an update. The relevant information is often scattered around different threads, some of them years old and outdated. Backing up third party applications is one such topic. Installing the new OS is another one. I was thinking about posting "2019 Guides" in BBOS Apps subforum and OS 7 subforum, but getting some spare time to do this is a problem, so I'm posting the draft here.

----------
    1) Backing up applications from BB World on the computer.

a) I use BB Desktop Software's device switch wizard to create COD files for all third party apps. You need to cancel the wizard half way through the process without actually connecting any new device and then copy the files from the "temp" directory before they get deleted by Windows' Disk Cleaner, CCleaner, etc.

b) then I use BBHTool v2.4.9.7a (on Windows XP) to create JAD files for each app separately.

In theory BBHTool also has the ability to create jad files for all third party apps with a single command, but those jad files are incomplete and won't work. At least this is the case with XP version of BBHTool.

c) now an app can be installed from SD card (using cod and jad files mentioned above).

Third party apps can also be installed using BB Desktop Software's OS Loader (loader.exe) and ALX plus COD files, but when I try that I usually get some warnings about "core applications downgrade" so I don't trust this method. Those warnings might be safe to ignore and might be shown because BB Application Resource Monitor and BB App World get updated after OS installation. More testing would be required to confirm this. Until then the SD card method seems to be safer, it just tricks the BlackBerry to think that the app is downloaded OTA.

More information about WinXP and Win7 versions of BBHTool can be found in post #3 here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...rsion-1170781/

I am aware of four Windows applications which can extract cod files from the BBOS BlackBerry phone and create jad files. BBHTool is most up-to-date:

BBMCP
    BBBoss
    BBSAK
    BBHTool

I have compared COD files created by the last three applications and by BB Desktop Software switch wizard and found the cod files to be identical. However, each of those programs also creates a different set of cod files for native BB applications. Those applications are already integrated with the OS itself and should not really be treated as third party apps. Desktop Software's switch wizard behaves the best in this area as it sometimes doesn't create those extra cod files at all.

----------
    2) Wiping and re-installing the new OS.

I have recently posted the summary in post #8 here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-run-1177506/

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app on Bell Canada BIS
    Last edited by Lex24; 10-23-19 at 01:18 PM.
    10-23-19 02:54 AM
8,754 ... 340341342343344 ...