All Right, typing this on the old 9900 and man itis hard to type, totally out of practce. The CB app work great. Still got my iphone 7 as my daily and got so used to that for typing. the new ios 13 update has swift key or hatever it is called so i tried thtand I don't know ANYONE can stand to use it!!!!! I know that Androids have hhad it for years.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    09-28-19 10:16 PM
    All Right, typing this on the old 9900 and man itis hard to type, totally out of practce. The CB app work great. Still got my iphone 7 as my daily and got so used to that for typing. the new ios 13 update has swift key or hatever it is called so i tried thtand I don't know ANYONE can stand to use it!!!!! I know that Androids have hhad it for years.

Apple calls it Quickpath but it has been commonly referred to as "swype" for a long time! I use it on my iPhone 8+ & have used it on various Droids over the years.

When i first got Agent 99 I had a dream about using it in which I was able to use the keyboard in capacitive way, like for scrolling zooming & even allowing swype style typing.. I am not sure which came first that dream or Bb building that into the PKB of the KeyOne

Yet tonight I am on my Curve because both my Bold batteries are charging

My KeyOne I have not used in a year. It went schizo. I guess it needs a factory reset.

By the way I am guessing I can import certificates onto my Curve here exactly as I did with Agent 99?

Oh and whoever gave the tip about "Star Trek Continues" thank you it is fantastic. Took some doing to get used to the different actors but once that was done-- wow! Just too bad there only a dozen episodes.

Now will anyone do this with Battlestar Galactica?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    09-30-19 09:05 PM
    Funny, now that you'd mentioned it, we encountered our first exposure to something resembling what might be considered "capacitive keyboard" on a misbehaving 9900 suffering some sort of KB malady. 2012-13 period? That handset would register "g" when a finger got near, but NOT touching, "G" key... !! It was passed around the breakroom table and several were able to reliably produce the effect. I could not but my digits are heavily calloused ... Which makes capacitive anything hit or miss for me, at times. Lol. We ultimately swapped that misbehaving keyboard out and went on with life.

About a couple years later, I had a 2014 re-intro 99 that started "double type". Sort of like Q10's became known for... Before software "filtering" got implemented in a later BB10 version. But not exactly... Again, didn't really have to touch the keys for input. Several keys were afflicted. Can't recall which ones but did post here about it. A VERY smart coworker experienced an inspirational moment and took that handset home returning it the next day. Fixed. No clue what he did but that handset has never misbehaved since.

Interestingly, that VERY smart coworker is also somewhat eccentric. He used 9650 here in the states and disdained capacitive anything out of some sort of concern for subjecting his nerves to electrical capacitance. ?? Or something like that...??? He well understood that it's only microamps but seemed most concerned about some frequencies he'd scoped. Idk. Wish I'd asked more.

That had been scheduled as his last day with us and he transfered/retired to his home town north of Mumbai, the next day. I never spoke to him about what he'd done to "cure" that misbehaving 99... It was NOT a new KB, tho... Readily identified by paint wear on the keys. Idk. He's still using a non-touch bb of some sort and some coworkers still hear from him when he powers it up a couple times per year... Ahhhh... Retirement... Lol.

I've often wondered if someone at BB might've experienced some similar phenomenon leading to PP's capacitve kb? ??

Still haven't figured out how to do a reply with quote in Opera Mini... Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-01-19 05:32 AM
    Wow what a fascinating recounting of interesting incidents & identities! Thanks for sharing those. Accident is the mother of invention?

You're using Opera Mini instead of the CB app? I just downloaded the CB app from BB World onto this 9320 last night since my 9900 batteries were depleted & charging. Was surprised to see it after a quick search in BBW. Downloaded quickly & after some initial trouble remembering my password it worked fine.

Agent 99 batteries all charged & ready for the day! One thing I do appreciate on this Curve that the Bold does not have (indeed most current phones do not!) is access to a decent OTA FM radio

10-01-19 07:39 AM
    Apple calls it Quickpath but it has been commonly referred to as "swype" for a long time! I use it on my iPhone 8+ & have used it on various Droids over the years.

When i first got Agent 99 I had a dream about using it in which I was able to use the keyboard in capacitive way, like for scrolling zooming & even allowing swype style typing.. I am not sure which came first that dream or Bb building that into the PKB of the KeyOne

Yet tonight I am on my Curve because both my Bold batteries are charging

My KeyOne I have not used in a year. It went schizo. I guess it needs a factory reset.

By the way I am guessing I can import certificates onto my Curve here exactly as I did with Agent 99?

Oh and whoever gave the tip about "Star Trek Continues" thank you it is fantastic. Took some doing to get used to the different actors but once that was done-- wow! Just too bad there only a dozen episodes.

Now will anyone do this with Battlestar Galactica?

Yes, Star Trek Continues is the real deal, closer in spirit to TOS than any of the other spinoffs, although the animated show of the 70’s was good, too.
    10-04-19 10:49 PM
    Just saw this on BBC

Touchscreen typing speeds close in on keyboard rates https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49933204
    10-10-19 01:36 AM
    OK here is a really stupid question but I need to know the answer. Is it possible to make emergency calls (I assume it would go to 911?) if you do not have sim card installed. Someone I know is going to be doing some driving and they never had a cell phone and I would likethem to be able to do this if the need arose.

I clicked"Emergency Call" from the homepage fter entering my screen lock PW and it started to ring, so I hung up because if the call would go through, well....they frown on things like that.

It would be nice to get some use out of it even if it were just to have around for emergencies.

????

Last edited by RJ Oakley; 10-10-19 at 01:54 PM.
    10-10-19 12:59 PM
    I can see how to call Emergency call from when you first boot it up but I cannot see how it can be done with the phone turned on.

EDIT: ok I forgot you just enter the number from the home page and then you can dial it.

Also read that if it says "SOS" in red then it should be enough signal strength to use another companies cellular tower signal to call "911."

I set up the speed dial to press and hold "9" to auto dial "911."

Man I'm out of practice with this thing

Last edited by RJ Oakley; 10-10-19 at 01:57 PM.
    10-10-19 01:05 PM
    Just saw this on BBC

Touchscreen typing speeds close in on keyboard rates https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49933204
    Fascinating

And still - even on the most advanced touchscreen, the letters are usually arranged so that the strikers won't get tangled before striking the platen!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-19 06:57 PM
    I can see how to call Emergency call from when you first boot it up but I cannot see how it can be done with the phone turned on.

EDIT: ok I forgot you just enter the number from the home page and then you can dial it.

Also read that if it says "SOS" in red then it should be enough signal strength to use another companies cellular tower signal to call "911."

I set up the speed dial to press and hold "9" to auto dial "911."

Man I'm out of practice with this thing

Haha glad it worked out

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-10-19 06:57 PM
    Out of interest, is there anyone out there still using a Bold as their daily driver in 2019?

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ and anon(10512033) like this.
    10-12-19 06:42 AM
    Out of interest, is there anyone out there still using a Bold as their daily driver in 2019?

Posted via CB10
    0800 - until 1300 (lunch break) 6 days a week. A lot of evenings too. Mostly for the unsurpassed crunching of emails and keeping of notes calendar items etc.

Secondary daily driver is iPhone 8+

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-12-19 09:10 AM
    PS When I go to the city I occasionally meet ppl still clutching a Bold & when I ask they usually say they just cannot imagine using another device. I asked one chap what he does when there's a technical issue? Usually call a tech friend or look it up on the internet. Ever use Crackberry? What? Ever call BlackBerry? Maybe once or twice

10-12-19 09:18 AM
    Other devices I use, but less frequently, in order of use:
    Q20 aka Classic; Z30; Samsung something or other

10-12-19 09:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not anymore but I found out from the guys at the cellular kiosk that if my parents want to activate that 9900 I have they could go on prepaid cards but they would have to phone Rogers every month to add the card, no big deal I guess.
    10-12-19 03:03 PM
    Recently switched from Fido to parent company Rogers. First thing I had to do (should have done during the switch) was call support & ask them to enable BIS as I still use a BlackBerry Bold regularly. Called in & the guy said sure no prob. Put me on hold for a minute & came back: "OK you should see that show up shortly, is there anything else?" Nope, thanks wow that was easy. Of course sir, thank you for your call have a pleasant day.

Within 15 minutes there was the berry "cluster" and emails started pouring in

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-13-19 09:09 AM
    To be honest I had shelved "Agent 99" for a couple of years. It was only when a long distance friend queried this past summer whether I still used my "Old bold Bold" that I decided to dig her out & have made her a go-to daily device, once again, since then..

Posted via CB10
    10-13-19 09:12 AM
    Recently switched from Fido to parent company Rogers. First thing I had to do (should have done during the switch) was call support & ask them to enable BIS as I still use a BlackBerry Bold regularly. Called in & the guy said sure no prob. Put me on hold for a minute & came back: "OK you should see that show up shortly, is there anything else?" Nope, thanks wow that was easy. Of course sir, thank you for your call have a pleasant day.

Within 15 minutes there was the berry "cluster" and emails started pouring in

Posted via CB10
    8 years after BBOS eol "announcement", BIS continues to amaze...
    10-13-19 09:45 AM
    Fascinating

And still - even on the most advanced touchscreen, the letters are usually arranged so that the strikers won't get tangled before striking the platen!

Posted via CB10
    haha... and crossing paths on return... "g" and "h" seemed frequent offenders on newer "Underwoods" . So many words use gh combo. Collisions happened if "g" doesn't get adequately retracted before "h" comes crashing in. lol. My old highschool typing teach took me to a 20's vintage Underwood in the office. (that thing had a built in adding machine-calculator!). It also had notably different feel on "h" than on "g" ... I could NOT type fast enough to provoke gh collision! She explained that typists of the day complained of the different feel on that model and so the concept was dropped on later models.

Muscle memory soon adapts to include a slight pause between g & h. Other frequent combos also. fwiw. lol.

Analagous experience on Classic after that OS update that added additional input time delay to mitigate infamous "double type". Something that's "no brainer" sop for discrete inputs everywhere... Not a comforting learning curve for qnx guys, imo. lol.

I've been forced to slow typing rate on Classic because it simply won't register double characters typed too fast. after the update. Better than the dreaded DT, tho. lol.

if Bold has a similar input speed limit, I haven't knowingly found it.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-13-19 at 11:13 AM.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-13-19 10:50 AM
    So when is BIS supposed to be dead anyway?
    10-13-19 10:56 AM
    So when is BIS supposed to be dead anyway?
    Execution has been stayed, last I heard. lol. No clue how long but I'm hoping for a couple years? So long as it's generating revenue for BB and isn't costing much... ??
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-13-19 11:16 AM
    Execution has been stayed, last I heard. lol. No clue how long but I'm hoping for a couple years? So long as it's generating revenue for BB and isn't costing much... ??
    Facebook couldn’t of cost much either for Zuckerberg for the BBOS, but he killed it. I’m still mad about that. Infrastructure was all there was built people would still be on Facebook with their blackberries if he didn’t do it. Same goes for Twitter, it worked beautifully for the 99. Considering back in 07 when Facebook really took off and we all left myspace, most people had blackberries that really put Facebook on the map and that’s what they do abandon their supporters.
    10-13-19 11:21 AM
    Facebook couldn’t of cost much either for Zuckerberg for the BBOS, but he killed it. I’m still mad about that. Infrastructure was all there was built people would still be on Facebook with their blackberries if he didn’t do it. Same goes for Twitter, it worked beautifully for the 99. Considering back in 07 when Facebook really took off and we all left myspace, most people had blackberries that really put Facebook on the map and that’s what they do abandon their supporters.
    Yeah, just look how legacy users get treated around here... lol. Virtually every penny burned on BB10 was earned by BBOS. AND BIS/BES still generates revenue LONG after the hardware sell! Something BB10 and DroidBerry can't do...

Given that persistent revenue stream, I've long contended that a financially rational case might prove plausible for a 7.1 update that might, possibly, correct browser, cloud storage, social media, etc... issues? Biggest problem might be finding devs familiar enough with BBOS to trust jacking with it. lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-13-19 12:00 PM
    Yeah, just look how legacy users get treated around here... lol. Virtually every penny burned on BB10 was earned by BBOS. AND BIS/BES still generates revenue LONG after the hardware sell! Something BB10 and DroidBerry can't do...

Given that persistent revenue stream, I've long contended that a financially rational case might prove plausible for a 7.1 update that might, possibly, correct browser, cloud storage, social media, etc... issues? Biggest problem might be finding devs familiar enough with BBOS to trust jacking with it. lol.
    If Blackberry was an American company they would have killed it off a long time ago. It’s true! It’s that defeatist attitude that I just can’t stand, for example Pontiac and Oldsmobile. The economy was slumped when they killed them off and people were all too happy screaming kill it off kill it off! (I will never forget that in the car forums) But the economy recovered and now there can never be another Pontiac Trans Am or an Oldsmobile Cutlass, ever. Once it’s dead it’s dead. People were actually screaming and cheering for the death of those companies! My cousin and I who are car nuts just still can’t believe that they are killed off.

I think the problem is a lot of companies just look at quick short term bucks and never the long-term profits that they could see from loyal and perspective buyers that have always bought a certain type of car or a certain type of cellular device and they would stick with it forever, until they are abandoned by the guy in charge and over shareholders complaining about things.

I think something can be said that it’s true Canadian companies aren’t so quick to throw in the towel ;-)
    10-13-19 12:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apparently per this thread there are at least 2.
    10-13-19 12:10 PM
8,754 ... 338339340341342 ...