I've never run a VPN on BB7. I came across a post by @Dunt Dunt Dunt saying that it was expensive without BES, though: https://forums.crackberry.com/genera.../#post13333253
    Yes, DDD also has good information. I’m the designated, person without any clue, regarding these real topics.
    04-21-19 01:07 PM
    Yes, DDD also has good information. I’m the designated, person without any clue, regarding these real topics.
    I saw something about some team of google engineers with six supercomputers breaking SHA-1 (which I think is the OS 7.1 max VPN encryption), but it seems so unlikely that anyone would have a team of engineers and six supercomputers that I didn't mention it.....

But then I thought.... this is Agent 99.... and K.A.O.S. would definitely have a team of engineers and six super-computers....
    04-21-19 07:35 PM
    I saw something about some team of google engineers with six supercomputers breaking SHA-1 (which I think is the OS 7.1 max VPN encryption), but it seems so unlikely that anyone would have a team of engineers and six supercomputers that I didn't mention it.....

But then I thought.... this is Agent 99.... and K.A.O.S. would definitely have a team of engineers and six super-computers....
    LMAO
    04-21-19 07:38 PM
    Haha... today's supercomputers will be tomorrow's egg timers before we know it... lol. But then I currently have Agent99 (my 8 yr old vzw 9930) serving less hazardous duties. Can't risk her health since vzw no longer permits enlistment of potential replacements. She IS irreplaceable! Lol.

That doesn't mean our resident KAOS (Kseries, Android, Over Size) double agent 002 grade LE (Limited Experience lol) isn't performing essential duties. Just that double agent constriction tends to impede productive performance. NO match for Agent99!! I've already included margins in our submittals to accommodate expected 002 productivity handicaps. All fields well covered. "What-if" is my cover handle around here. Lol.

We are, tho, enlisting a couple dozen honorably discharged ATT 9900 trainees to perform SOME of Agent99's Specialties. I'm told 9900 talks vpn with less accent than 9930s. Lol. Can't divulge much detail without proper clearances lol, but everyone involved has things well covered. Lol. A fascinating strategy that I'll surely share one day.??? Everyone will then enjoy a good laugh. Especially considering the product this facility is expanding to produce even more of!! Lol.

Something that's always struck me about Agent 86... Bar tender slang ultimately derived from ANSI "Lock Out" device number 86... which is routinely triggered by ANSI "Differential Protection" device number 87... was there ever an agent 87? What good is an 86 without an 87??? Haha... maybe some EE's out there might get the humor? Just an engineer's poor attempt at humor. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-22-19 at 09:50 AM.
    04-22-19 07:40 AM
    How did the qwerty keyboard become so popular?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47460499
    04-23-19 08:34 PM
    Haha... Really haven't pondered on that aspect much since mastering typing a couple years after qualifying Morse, in highschool... Qwerty's "genetic" roots out of Morse lineage "feels" pretty self evident, imo. Not sure anyone has ever solidly establish what neurologic factors makes Morse so muscle memory proficient? Something similar is possibly at work with qwerty. Imo. ??

For two handed typing, at least. Not really ideal for single thumb, imo, but slight single thumb gains probably not worth learning a new KB layout just for single thumbers. Especially if still using full sized desktop qwerty kb.

Neither qwerty nor morse "seem" very intuitive to the uninitiated. BUT, once proficiency is mastered, the layouts prove more "natural" than first impressions might afford. For example, "Q" actually feels like a "Q" for lack of a better description. "W" FEELS like "W" should feel... And so on. In both qwerty and morse. Some neurological mystery in human boolean structure?? Idk. I DO know that my tongue tends to form words while hi speed typing AND keying Morse. Lol. (Let the jokes begin... ) Lol. At least two others in my crew admit to similar.

One eventually notices, after a certain point, that it's not about individual letters. It's about words and sentences. Words & sentences that develop a rhythm of muscle memory motion. A rhythm that brain's speech centers seem fabulously evolved to choreograph translation from thought to dynamic symbol.

Other factors play roles, as well. I recall while learning and using qwerty on old manual typewriters, no single finger or hand felt individually fatigued by day's end. Finger fatigue seemed remarkably well distributed amongst the stronger and weaker of 10 fingers.

AND, on more sophisticated machines, no two keys were tuned to equivalent response! This became pretty obvious when typing thru three (or more) carbon copies! Because of surface area, shape,... emotional response... etc, some characters needed more brute force while others worked better with faster strike but lighter force. If that make any sense. And then some fingers are better suited for "brute force" and other fingers do "long, fast & light" better. Differences muscle memory learned and accommodated for. It seems pretty easy to see that "G" and "H" might benefit from brute force generated by first fingers while "S" and "K" benefit from faster, lower force, of less flexible third finger... See what I mean??

Typing on 9900 qwerty, every corner of the keyboard gets utilized with impressive equality! For single thumbers, like myself, it means my single thumb spends about as much time on the far edge as it does the near edge. Which is why larger keyboards than 9900 impact my type rate so drastically. 9900 truly was optimally sized... For qwerty, at least.

Now, if a kb could be configured so that the most heavily used characters were grouped together on one side, as with 9900's numeric keys, a mostly occasional stretch to the least used far column wouldn't impact overall single thumb type rate quite so much...?? I, myself, could go for that. Possibly something most easily experimented with on VKB??

But then we'd be into the niche of a niche thing, market wise... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-26-19 at 10:07 AM.
    04-26-19 09:56 AM
    How did the qwerty keyboard become so popular?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47460499
    Top speed of 212 wpm.... wonder how often she had to replace keyboards (or 2008 it might have still been typewriters?)
    04-26-19 10:11 AM
    I love & hate that other people feel the exponential pain of being without BBOS device even for a single business day (you really feel like you're being punished having to use an android device instead), there is just no streamlined comparison device to the BBOS' messages navigation shortcuts (why in the bloody hell does the blackberry hub not have extensive keyboard shortcuts for basic reply, forward, edit, save and send??), and trackpad guided editing, proof-reading, and revision (all very different but essential to excellent business writing).

It is also incredibly satisfying to hear someone else who has their original Blackberry parts replacement workflow down to a cup of coffee, and also that they carry around an extra original BBOS because re-activating a secondary BBOS device after a primary goes down is still -way- more net time productive than settling to use (battling might be more apt) a keyX android device for almost any length of time! Same boat here all the way. Lol OMG.

If there were ever a chance in hell of convincing Blackberry executives, TCL, T-Mobile, Verizon carriers to continue on as we are here in 2019 (supporting Blackberry Enterprise Server, and to lesser extent BIS) even an outrageous price (I can only hope at this point, would jump at the chance for our company to do so!), it seem there would have to be a well documented and likely beautifully video-ed statistics breakdown of using a BBOS device vs. a key2 android in terms of processing a work load like the ones you describe (I can only imagine what consumer-oriented devices users are even thinking when they read things like 'backlog [that] 8 hrs at 1/3 productivity had accumulated" even think, while at the same time, you make -me- feel like you're my soulmate!). If only I had the time to produce something of high-quality (or even knew someone I could hire)!

Mr. Chuck Finley69 and RaybanRJ compared me to you and I couldn't be more flattered, after Chuck's chord-striking thread and your post-after-post of concentrated, and imo highly accurate, eloquent, and objective BBOS portrayal at its uniquely high-level work functioning. Something that if you think about it, let's pretend there is a high number of idssteve, enthusiastic BBOS users on this post, and other lukeoverheres out there 'killing it' in the business world, what are the chances these others have also sought out and found this highly specialized post? As impressed as I am with the devices, and idssteve's just amazingly crafted posts, I feel lucky to have found this particular post -- most diehards are not going to find this if they're out there working there butts off!

Like idssteve working 8-14 hours per day has been my norm, and posting on forums -last- on my priority list for a -very- long time. Am guessing most BBOS users, if there anything like us, probably feel very similarly.

That all being said, watching the amount of original BBOS users leave in the most painstakingly slow fashion from 2013-2019 (roughly 1M per month from January 2013 to today, not a tidal wave but really a eeriely small and steady stream even over time) couldn't be more proof that there is a 'die-hard' (yes I used that term again even though I hate it, but it fairly indicates what to me is a strong market!) faction, and more importantly motivated (I think the length of time and perseverance of these users through to 2019, despite it being one of most 'insulting' times in smartphone history to be a berry user also says a thing or two about a continually tested and reaffirmed decision to company budgets, associates, friends, family, and so on).

My free time has generally only gone to my family. I'm only on here because BBOS EOL is flabbergasting-ly close (despite my being ready to pay any price to prolong for myself and company) and -actually- drawing near ?!? I still cannot believe it, that even hearing on CB from you and a good number of other outstanding professionals who see monumental value in these devices, the most uniquely capable mobile typing device ever built (and only one with a surgically amazing mouse trackpad despite the largest worldwide market for a high-quality input device that ever existed? Our computers have had a mouse en masse since the Apple II?!? Why when smartphones have overtaken computer in units since 2012 hasn't someone released a high-quality smartphone device with mouse unless for extremely good reason? Idk just speculation here but maybe google profits more improper input on search that having accurate searches? Nonetheless, is the money really not there for this product and/or service?), that originator Blackberry, then TCL and even no one else in the free market has yet to recognize there is a significant group of professionals that simply wants a high-end input device, even at higher cost if needed, just bluntly, blows my damn mind.

My background is very average, and the only thing that made it exceptional was the workflow of the 9900, like idssteve has said, how is it our "record-setting profits" don't just speak for themselves? It doesn't feel like chance that his story is so impassionedly similar to my own? It might be 'the harder you work, the luckier you get' but come on, why are we all even on this forum if not to discuss the true net value brought by our devices?

For me, it simplified work. Basically an improved assembly line streamlining all facets of business from sales (contacts app so accessible it is like a CRM, certainly faster than 'anchoring' to a laptop), communications (shortcuts to more immediately respond and articulate if even 5-10% faster, probably more, what client or would-be client doesn't love high-quality responsiveness), booking & dispatching (surgically fast time management on calendar, far and away still more streamlined than anything available today on iPhone or Android), invoicing and collecting (had direct and full access to Freshbooks cloud-accounting back in 2011, up to 500 clients, overflow as needed on computer). Imo I bet Henry Ford would be dazzled that Research in Motion did for communications what he did for car manufacturing - they took all the redundancies and in efficiencies out of communications 'production.'

So how do you prove bar-none overwhelmingly better workflow? Well Ford did it with mass production but I think BBOS would do it with statistical data. It seems like Blackberry would have amazing user data to they have x number of idssteve's but doesn't seem like it is being used, and certainly not shared at this point. If they just found the messaging profiles (# of messages, calendar, etc.) of all the idssteve and lukeoverhere users and asked them to pay 5, 10 20x as much (with a plan to ply the carriers as well of course), I bet they'd have a pretty quick and positive answer as to how profitable this bought-and-paid-for system really is in 2019 money, just in case there is maybe a question. Would've been really smart to do this a few years ago too back when this post was really pumping but not too late imo. Still haven't been asked yet myself... wish someone would just give me the chance to open my wallet!!

Tracking my T-Mobile 9900 messages for a week a couple months ago, I averaged 300-400 emails and texts per business day (does not include calls), while managing 40-60 teamed calendar items per day (invitees from 2-10 each event), a workload just asinine on key2, and not just from poor workflow but the daily unpredictable restarts, strikingly poor keyboard prediction and usability "trackpad" (regularly does and does not activate for cursor, achingly and actually detracting slow), poor on screen cursor placement and selection).

I digress, all complaints aside, I think the world would quickly recognize the intrinsic differences between BBOS communications brilliance and key2 shortcomings, if only someone had the time and money to excellently track the business statistics (net time to process an email workload of 300+ messages on a seasoned BBOS user vs. seasoned key2 user, net time to best manage a complex calendar ideally set of team calendars, and perhaps also ask these types of users what kind of money they would spend to support these systems). Saving 5-10, 15% on repetitive business functions 300-400 times per day is competitive advantage! If only a way to keep it...
    05-18-19 05:44 PM
    If BIS wasn't being shut down at the end of this year, I would seriously consider attempting to activate my 9930 on Verizon...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-18-19 07:53 PM
    Today, my Bold wouldn't hook up to the eduroam network at my workplace (I was trying to sync the Kindle app at the time) and I found myself wondering if it isn't time to retire it.

But do I really need an internet connection on my phone when it does all the other things I need (Calling, Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, and Podcasts)? Probably not. In fact, I could have just sent the ebook file to the device via USB. And it's just that particular network that's a problem. The app sync'd up fine when I got home.

The great benefit of the 9900 is that it's THE distraction-free phone. It only gets used for work and I don't look at it unless there's a task to accomplish.

I think I'm just getting itchy feet again. I'll stick it out.
    mushroom_daddy, idssteve and RCJ28 like this.
    05-27-19 09:31 PM
    I wonder of this is an issue or does anyone concern over it?

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2019...y-apps-threat/
    05-28-19 02:22 AM
    If you use the Google News Feeds at http://darkstar.x10host.com/news_beta/ or the NewsZ app, they're down right now. It looks like the engine at the core of the web app, feed2js, has gone offline. I don't know if it's temporary or permanent. It's fixable though. Feed2js is open source and I can host it myself. It will just take a little time to implement.

Edit: the site is fixed. Hosting feed2js just involved dropping a set of directories from github onto my webserver and changing about 10 URLs in the javascript. Nice and easy. Until Google discontinues its RSS feeds. Then it's all over....

P.S. I know it looks like hell on Android and iOS. I don't care. It's scaled for BBOS.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-02-19 at 11:56 PM.
    homerus20 likes this.
    07-02-19 11:16 PM
    Could a new wave of 'Bold Resurgence' be on the horizon?

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-an...me-caveats?amp

/blackberry-bold-series-f235/who-else-making-backward-switch-bbos-bis-support-extended-1174788/#post13429267
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-11-19 at 08:23 AM.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-11-19 03:34 AM
    I have AT&T. It still has BIS! Love my 9900. I'll take it any day over that Titan thing. I have a lot of backup Blackberries to last until AT&T finally sunsets 3G.
    08-11-19 04:34 PM
    Went to a resort for the weekend. No WiFi. Browsed for a couple of hours each day (CrackBerry, Opera Mini, BB Browser), got home, checked my data usage (I rarely use data) and I'm at 20 MB for the month.
    mushroom_daddy and RCJ28 like this.
    08-12-19 11:16 AM
    It definitely seems like there's a small spike. It's been very quiet of late though, which makes a few posts seem like an avalanche of interest
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-13-19 08:18 AM
    Interesting that the Unihertz Titan is now going to have a trackpad instead of a capacitive keyboard (apparently due to patent issues). I wonder if the trackpad will work well for text and spreadsheet cell selection in Android? If so, @idssteve may develop one massive bicep!
    08-13-19 08:21 AM
    Interesting that the Unihertz Titan is now going to have a trackpad instead of a capacitive keyboard (apparently due to patent issues). I wonder if the trackpad will work well for text and spreadsheet cell selection in Android? If so, @idssteve may develop one massive bicep!
    I hope it succeeds, as the next device might scale down to a more friendly size...
    08-13-19 09:12 AM
    I hope it succeeds, as the next device might scale down to a more friendly size...
    That would be nice. Hopefully they wouldn't draw the opposite conclusion and think, "People love huge devices! Let's make it BIGGER!"

All kidding aside, a Qualcomm processor would be good too -- even a cheap, low-end one -- so that we could get custom ROMs.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and RCJ28 like this.
    08-13-19 09:16 AM
    That would be nice. Hopefully they wouldn't draw the opposite conclusion and think, "People love huge devices! Let's make it BIGGER!"

All kidding aside, a Qualcomm processor would be good too -- even a cheap, low-end one -- so that we could get custom ROMs.
    Key will be supporting the Titan for now.... the interest seems to have stalled at a fairly low number of sponsors.
    08-13-19 09:26 AM
    Key will be supporting the Titan for now.... the interest seems to have stalled at a fairly low number of sponsors.
    With the changes, some of the backers will likely become skeptical and withdraw. It would be reasonable to suspect that BlackBerry might give notice of additional patent infringements over time. The keyboard still copies the Passport's spacebar placement and is clearly derivative, and the whole device has the -- I don't know, mise en scene -- of the Passport.

In any case, I was never the target audience. I have a Passport I don't use because it's too big.
    08-13-19 09:42 AM
    With the changes, some of the backers will likely become skeptical and withdraw. It would be reasonable to suspect that BlackBerry might give notice of additional patent infringements over time. The keyboard still copies the Passport's spacebar placement and is clearly derivative, and the whole device has the -- I don't know, mise en scene -- of the Passport.

In any case, I was never the target audience. I have a Passport I don't use because it's too big.
    Looked like they took a Passport and put it in a big case.... They even used BB10 screen shots in the mockup (till those got changed).
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-13-19 09:51 AM
    I'd use my PP a LOT more if it had a trackpad. Trackpad can nicely tame both huge, and tiny, screens. Single thumb can access entire screen by simply reaching midway to TP. Especially if (big IF) well implemented.

Bluetooth and/or usb mouse works surprisingly well on Android. Mouse buttons need re-mapping, tho. Imo.
    08-13-19 07:03 PM
    Strange that after a few months I pulled out my 9900 and only one of my three batteries was completely dead in fact I had the dreaded red x symbol on it. Ironically this was the newest battery that I had bought a few years ago, and fortunately for my wall charger, that restored it and then I was able to finish charging it in the device.
    08-17-19 12:23 PM
    My main email is through Juno. For some reason, I simply can't ever get it to set up properly on any iOS or android or Windows phone no matter what. Sure, I get the emails, but messages never get deleted, no matter my settings, so I have to eventually log on a real computer and delete the 100s of emails. That is a REAL drag.

That is not the case when I use a BBOS or BB10 phone. I delete the email on my phone, and it's gone from my central Juno account, too. Same with WebOS. Presto magic!

This is a HUGE reason why I love my 9900 and have, among my many backups, a Q10, and Pre 3.
    08-17-19 09:35 PM
8,754 ... 334335336337338 ...