AfAIK, Z30 enjoys "internals" second only to PP, in BB10 space. ? Amazingly, mine's battery has shown no noticeable degradation, to date. (Did I just jinx it? Lol). It's sat in its charging station far more than carried, tho. I've never employed it as "primary carry" so its embedded battery hasn't been much issue for me. I've carried it as a "browsing beast of burden" and document reader, mostly. It does enjoy nice battery life and impressive performance for that use case, at least.

I never minded Z10's battery life... just carried spares... lol. Too bad 10's re-boot time wasn't more 99ish. Lol. I'm still source of comic relief humor around here for my antics after destroying my 9 month old Z10 by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee (with creamer & sugar, lol) all over it. Simultaneous with answering a VERY important call from a most significant client! Maintaining decorum while shaking HOT coffee from fingers MUST have presented hilarious entertainment! Coworkers haven't since failed to reminisce when a good laugh is needed. Lol. To its credit, the soaked Z completed THAT call. Client was oblivious to any distraction on my end. He's shared the laugh years later, tho. Lol.

Sadly, that 9 month old first day Z was deemed beyond repair. I'd already tired of doing my best to "love" its slabness, tho. Especially answering calls! Lol. The Q I'd already had IT order was in my hand within the hour. Only THEN to find, with utter shock & horror, that RIM had forgotten the #*!?$:/!!!!!! TOOLBELT. !!!! UG!!!! The thought briefly occurred that maybe IT and a couple of my "smart guys" had somehow concocted such an abomination as some sort of joke! Lol. Tragically, the joke was on RIM for ever even contemplating a smallish display absent no-brainer mitigation like a TOOLBELT!!! Little surprise Q failed, imo. Go figure. Lol.

That Q lasted another 3 months before two of my "smart guys" handed me an old 99 with latest OS7.1 and asked what Q does for us that's any better than Bold? Handling that 9900 for a couple minutes over lunch, I had no imeadiate answer. Despite over a year since last holding one, it felt like the most comfortable pair of shoes EVER! Every last one of my 26 coworkers returned to 99 within the week. Productivity returned and has established quite a few records since.

I still generally despise typing on glass for the persistent distraction it inflicts on my feeble cognizance. Lol. Utterly detest placing & taking calls on glass. Even after all of these years of striving to "love" slab, I still can't shake nagging resentment of the distractive nurturing & finger petting demanded by needy Tamagotchi pets calling themselves "phones". Lol. MY oxytocin addictions are reserved for loved humans, in MY life. Haha.

Agent 99, on the other hand, simply, seamlessly, almost invisibly, collaborates WITH my life. Rather than dominating it. Critical distinction lost on most, these days. Lol.

" It's a Bold thing, those who must ask won't understand...". Lol

Last edited by idssteve; 04-02-19 at 02:46 AM.
    04-02-19 02:11 AM
    Just squashed another bug in the browser detection scripts for the NewsZ Google News Feed App. The bug only affected 9930 devices, causing them to render the pages improperly.

Since I don't have a 9930, I never noticed it. Mea culpa. That's what happens when rank amateurs write the scripts.
    04-03-19 08:38 AM
    Haha... without a CDMA carrier, you'd have no reason to have 9930. Quite few genuine "enthusiasts" would be considered professionals at their hobby. Would it be a hobby if they were? Lol. GM's Charles Kettering (aka Boss Ket) was referred to as "Professional Amateur". Because he loved what he did! Made his fortune doing what he loved! Dear old Gramps always advised to find what you'd PAY to do and then find a way to make a living at it... advice i haven't always followed but certainly well worth pursuing, when possible... fwiw.
    04-03-19 07:14 PM
    Well TuneIn radio app and Nobex radio app work great still on the 9900.. I have to say, I think TuneIn is the best radio app out there, its all I need on my Apple devices as well.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    04-07-19 11:30 PM
    Well TuneIn radio app and Nobex radio app work great still on the 9900.. I have to say, I think TuneIn is the best radio app out there, its all I need on my Apple devices as well.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    I too, use tunein. Access to thousands of community radio stations without expensive travelling! Works on all devices because tunein didn't change their api's at all! Wifi bbOS 4.x/5.x/6.x/7.x, BB10 or old android!

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-08-19 12:05 AM
    +1 for Tune in! It fires up upon snapping Agent99 into Smoothtalker car cradle... Plays over stereo virtually ALL the time. Thanks to BIS, monthly data never reaches 1Gig. . My androids rarely stay under 3Gig just sitting quietly on desk charging all month! I'm going to miss BIS...!!
    04-16-19 03:43 AM
    +1 for Tune in! It fires up upon snapping Agent99 into Smoothtalker car cradle... Plays over stereo virtually ALL the time. Thanks to BIS, monthly data never reaches 1Gig. . My androids rarely stay under 3Gig just sitting quietly on desk charging all month! I'm going to miss BIS...!!
    Unfortunately tunein doesn't use BIS (blackberry's tunneling system over cellular data, eg. VPN), just standard TCP/IP over cellular data, tunnelless. 320k doesn't use allot of data at all. Run it for 24 hours and it could consume 1GB (at 100 megabytes per hour).

04-16-19 03:52 AM
    Unfortunately tunein doesn't use BIS (blackberry's tunneling system over cellular data, eg. VPN), just standard TCP/IP over cellular data, tunnelless. 320k doesn't use allot of data at all. Run it for 24 hours and it could consume 1GB (at 100 megabytes per hour).

Interesting! Great to know! Thanks for setting that straight. I've been functioning under erroneous assumptions... Nothing new about that... Lol.

Apparently, data disparities between my BIS, BB10 and Android stuff must be due to other things than tunein listening habits. Also great to know that our bolds might still serve as tunein appliances after BIS? At least till 3G fades. I've never even thought to try Tunein on a deactivated bold. Color me clueless. Lol.
    04-16-19 07:38 AM

Most streamed data... is already compressed. BlackBerry compression algorithms didn't touch that type of content back when I used BBOS. Of course back then we had a 500MB limit on data so I avoided streaming that wasn't over WiFi. (back then file sharing also wasn't all that hard).
    04-16-19 09:22 AM
    Much depends on what you're streaming, I suppose. Still, 99% of my online audio listening is through Bold. I've watched one single movie on my d60 and wasn't impressed. Give me a 65 inch TV for theater, thank you. Lol.

The vast majority of videos I view are typically of misbehaving production line machinery recorded by client personnel. Bold's ability to stop-start, zoom & pan all with a single thumb affords an un- distracted proficiency that NOthing newer challenges. Imo. Need closer view? Zoom shortcuts and trackpad pan typically get the job done. If not, remote 99 into PlayBook's hdmi onto a 100inch flatpanel in our conference room gets things close & intimate. Lol. The same zoom shortcuts and trackpad pad work just as splendidly on monster 100incher. Lol.

For my use case, 99 simply sips data. My android giants, especially d60, racks up 3-10 times the monthly data use. Even while sitting in the charging station all month! I once had to call a coworker from several states away to power down that d60. It was maxing out my data plan just sitting there in my office drawer. AND the phreaking thing turned itself back on, and resumed data consumption a week later!!! I had coworker unplug the thing and let battery drain to shutdown as the surest way to stop its data burn. I've learned how to trim Andy's data burn but even a light month, Andy burns way more data than 99.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-18-19 11:01 PM
    Much depends on what you're streaming, I suppose. Still, 99% of my online audio listening is through Bold. I've watched one single movie on my d60 and wasn't impressed. Give me a 65 inch TV for theater, thank you. Lol.

The vast majority of videos I view are typically of misbehaving production line machinery recorded by client personnel. Bold's ability to stop-start, zoom & pan all with a single thumb affords an un- distracted proficiency that NOthing newer challenges. Imo. Need closer view? Zoom shortcuts and trackpad pan typically get the job done. If not, remote 99 into PlayBook's hdmi onto a 100inch flatpanel in our conference room gets things close & intimate. Lol. The same zoom shortcuts and trackpad pad work just as splendidly on monster 100incher. Lol.

For my use case, 99 simply sips data. My android giants, especially d60, racks up 3-10 times the monthly data use. Even while sitting in the charging station all month! I once had to call a coworker from several states away to power down that d60. It was maxing out my data plan just sitting there in my office drawer. AND the phreaking thing turned itself back on, and resumed data consumption a week later!!! I had coworker unplug the thing and let battery drain to shutdown as the surest way to stop its data burn. I've learned how to trim Andy's data burn but even a light month, Andy burns way more data than 99.
    If only the apps on my iPhone took as a little space as the bold 9900s. It’s no wonder Apple finally popped the minimum storage on the new iPhones to 64 GB or 750 or so megabytes was all we needed on our 9900 (or whatever it is).
    idssteve and RCJ28 like this.
    04-18-19 11:15 PM
    I know that that little Samsung galaxy tab a 7 inch that I bought just to learn android sure doesn’t use much space for apps and that’s a good thing because all you get is an eight gig storage in it LOL. Sure you can expand the apps to the microSD card but not all of the apps and every time there is an app update you have to go into the application setting and move the ones that you updated back into the memory card again, talk about a major pain. In this regard Apple is much better and less maintenance. In fact I don’t even think my 9900 is much work, especially after you learn the quick little memory cleaning tricks, and you can perform them all in about one minute flat.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-18-19 11:17 PM
    If only the apps on my iPhone took as a little space as the bold 9900s. It’s no wonder Apple finally popped the minimum storage on the new iPhones to 64 GB or 750 or so megabytes was all we needed on our 9900 (or whatever it is).
    About 250mb of 99's ram got "wasted" on its touch screen. Contemporary non-touch flagship, like 9650, actually enjoyed more usable ram. They were handicapped by sluggish processors, tho.

BBOS had its memory management (aka garbage collection) issues. Issues that ultimately found some mitigations well after so many had bailed to other platforms. Which seems to be most of what those "early bailers" remember to this day. Lol.

Whatever its weaknesses, BBOS managed an impressive performance within a very tiny footprint.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-19-19 05:24 AM
    The only way that I have ever been able to effectively limit data usage on Android is to root the phone and install a firewall. The no-root firewalls leak data, but you can completely firewall apps (at your discretion) once you root the device and install a proper firewall. If you ever try it, AFWall+ works well.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    04-19-19 08:33 AM
    The only way that I have ever been able to effectively limit data usage on Android is to root the phone and install a firewall. The no-root firewalls leak data, but you can completely firewall apps (at your discretion) once you root the device and install a proper firewall. If you ever try it, AFWall+ works well.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    Good info. Wonder if anyone's managed to root a K?

The surest way to stop the leakage is to deprive the activity of electric energy... Aka pull the battery. Lol. I've worked in "phone free zones" where removing the battery from 99 adequately satisfied requirements. Some years back several of us were participating in a series of excruciatingly secretive meetings... Devices placed on table with removed battery beside it. Lol. Apple & other embedded batt devices were locked in a vault down the hall. Lol.

Not fool proof, as my "smart guys" were quick to point out. Lol. Fake batteries, RF power, etc, etc might circumvent even that. BUT, unanimous assumptions were that all personnel present, themselves, are trustworthy. Only the devices, and whom ever might be on the other end, were questioned. Long agonizing story.

Most troubling about embedded battery lunacy is utter inability to achieve reasonable assumption of privacy around the devices. It's worth reminding ourselves just how much data these things are capable of providing to anyone smart enough to ask the right way. If a user ever questioned their device, how do you 99.99 percent shut it down? The coworker I had shut down my D60 while I was away had sold me that very D60. She's no dummy. She claims she shut it off and I believe her. Yet, a week later, the thing was back on. Since the battery in that design is not readily removable, I instructed her to place into airplane mode and unplug the charger and let the thing drain itself into darkness. THAT eventually afforded "warm phuzzie" that the leak was "absolutely, positively" stopped.

Debates about how much to trust Google, Verizon, etc are legitimate in themselves. BUT what happens WHEN Google, Verizon, etc get hacked by even less trustworthy entities? ??? Especially while travelling the globe?? ????
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-19-19 11:57 AM
    I’ve always wondered if there’s some people in an airplane when they said to shut off all the devices, I wonder if every single person actually bothers to put the phone on airplane mode or power down. They will always be one guy that will refuse because he’s expecting some message or something that just can’t wait.
    04-19-19 12:00 PM
    I’ve always wondered if there’s some people in an airplane when they said to shut off all the devices, I wonder if every single person actually bothers to put the phone on airplane mode or power down. They will always be one guy that will refuse because he’s expecting some message or something that just can’t wait.
    Haha... I can certainly appreciate, and abide by, an abundance of caution. BUT, considering the countless EM potentials roaming our atmosphere, including RADAR, etc, I'm not sure how confident to feel about a plane that might suffer hazard from relatively minuscule cellphone transmitters... ??? Lol. Of course, over 100 of the things trapped inside a metal can might prove significant?

Again, if ALL batteries were removed and prominently displayed before taxi to runway, relative assurance might be achieved. Then again, a pretty simple RF detector could let attendants zero in on offenders... Even accidental ones. Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    04-19-19 12:31 PM
    Any suggestions for running non-bis data through a VPN?
    04-20-19 12:02 PM
    Any suggestions for running non-bis data through a VPN?
    Just email to me @ either my .ru or .cn email address. I'll forward to appropriate repositories for you...
    04-20-19 12:15 PM
    Just email to me @ either my .ru or .cn email address. I'll forward to appropriate repositories for you...
    Sure thing! Think you can get it to them faster than Google?
    04-20-19 12:23 PM
    Sure thing! Think you can get it to them faster than Google?
    I’m going to build a business just based on that alone. To speed things along, universally accepted bitcoins of course...
    04-20-19 01:45 PM
    I’m going to build a business just based on that alone. To speed things along, universally accepted bitcoins of course...
    Haha... Should be profitable... if you can beat google to it... lol..

I realize vpn is crippled on our 99s but there's a reason for my inquiry. My team is deploying to a site where a new client has experienced "i.p. thievery" in some "ancient" past. Back when their onsite wifi was stupidly wide open and "contractors" from a certain notorious region were all over the place. Now they're justifiably concerned about EVERYthing going on. I'm staying Stateside (commitment to wife after a previous retirement... lol ) but maintaining a support posture through, among other things, a dedicated p2p pepVPN from site to dedicated CAD station, pc, 9900, Classic, and K2LE in my office. This project is expected to demand a couple years AND BIS is almost sure to disappear before completion. Client, company IT and my "smart guys" all feel comfortable using wifi 99s through these pep routers. Haven't yet been breifed on details and I'm in no position to question but plan to risk sounding like a complete idiot by bringing up a few "whatifs" in tomorrow's meeting. Including the possibility of krack attack through our "ancient" 99's wifi... ??? I know that vpn was considered a short term mitigation for krack and have been contemplating possibilities for some of the old cisco, alcatel, etc. vpn routers sitting around from bes days that 99s might still afford some krack resistance through before heading into pep routers... ??? FAR outside of my expertise. I'm sure the guys who know, know. Just a little pre-meeting pondering. Inquiring minds, ya know... lol
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-20-19 at 10:57 PM.
    04-20-19 08:53 PM
    Haha... Should be profitable... if you can beat google to it... lol..

I realize vpn is crippled on our 99s but there's a reason for my inquiry. My team is deploying to a site where a new client has experienced "i.p. thievery" in some "ancient" past. Back when their onsite wifi was stupidly wide open and "contractors" from a certain notorious region were all over the place. Now they're justifiably concerned about EVERYthing going on. I'm staying Stateside (commitment to wife after a previous retirement... lol ) but maintaining a support posture through, among other things, a dedicated p2p pepVPN from site to dedicated CAD station, pc, 9900, Classic, and K2LE in my office. This project is expected to demand a couple years AND BIS is almost sure to disappear before completion. Client, company IT and my "smart guys" all feel comfortable using wifi 99s through these pep routers. Haven't yet been breifed on details and I'm in no position to question but plan to risk sounding like a complete idiot by bringing up a few "whatifs" in tomorrow's meeting. Including the possibility of krack attack through our "ancient" 99's wifi... ??? I know that vpn was considered a short term mitigation for krack and have been contemplating possibilities for some of the old cisco, alcatel, etc. vpn routers sitting around from bes days that 99s might still afford some krack resistance through before heading into pep routers... ??? FAR outside of my expertise. I'm sure the guys who know, know. Just a little pre-meeting pondering. Inquiring minds, ya know... lol
    Forum Member @Shuswap would be a great starting point.
    04-21-19 05:44 AM
    Yep, absolutely. Didn't want to call him out specifically before learning more details of what my guys are planning. I can visualize some details that might not be smart to post public. We'll see. My question was more out of curiosity if anyone still runs vpn on legacy and how it behaves along side BIS. Subject of Tunein Radio earlier prompted the curiosity. Lol.
    04-21-19 06:26 AM
    My question was more out of curiosity if anyone still runs vpn on legacy and how it behaves along side BIS.
    I've never run a VPN on BB7. I came across a post by @Dunt Dunt Dunt saying that it was expensive without BES, though: https://forums.crackberry.com/genera.../#post13333253
    04-21-19 08:31 AM
8,754 ... 333334335336337 ...