I think carriers may have notified BlackBerry of intent to shut down BIS on their end. That or either side may have contractual obligations and the EOL statement may give some wiggle room on either side to keep BIS going strictly on "at-will" basis.
    That makes sense. What perplexes me is why I can't find any sign of being charged BIS saf in my VZW bill while vzw finds ways to add charges for just about any other feature... ?? ANY service product I'm wanting to sunset out from MY offering portfolio starts getting priced into natural extinction. The requests for that service gradually dwindle as price increases. The service dies by natural causes. Clients who feel they need more time to transition into other strategies are typically GRATEFUL to pay for the time they need to transition. Typically to other services my company also offers. Much, MUCH tinier scale than anything VZW or BB work with, so... Clearly, more going on at BB & vzw than the "old school" OS between my old ears can efficiently process... lol.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    12-15-17 08:59 AM
    Hm. It might be a good time to start downloading EVERY single BBW app that's any good for my bold/curve. Do they transfer over to another device if I use BB desktop manager's backup?

There are ways to install apps on BBOS devices without BBW. That's how I get kindle. Is this a good time to start planning ahead? How do we save legacy apps?
    12-15-17 09:18 AM
    While BIS is supported on the BlackBerry end, carriers may continue to drop support earlier I wonder??
    Well sure I guess the carriers can provide whatever phones they want to sell or what services they want to sell. But my anger still lies with Mark Zuckerberg he did not have to pull the plug on Facebook or WhatsApp and both were perfect running apps even if they were allowed to run without updates for years it would probably still be going (just like my 9900 ran/runs perfectly without updates for years).

That was the first giant step to anger a lot of people in here and hamper future use as a daily driver. There were still 10 million people using those apps on BBOS devices when he pulled the plug and that WAS HALF OF ALL BLACKBERRY USERS GLOBALLY at the time.
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-15-17 09:38 AM
    Maybe Legacy BB just doesn't generate "profitably addictive" dopamines... lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-15-17 10:48 AM
    Hm. It might be a good time to start downloading EVERY single BBW app that's any good for my bold/curve. Do they transfer over to another device if I use BB desktop manager's backup?

There are ways to install apps on BBOS devices without BBW. That's how I get kindle. Is this a good time to start planning ahead? How do we save legacy apps?
    That works for some apps & not for others. Would be nice to collect an archive. Not sure of legalities, tho. ??
    12-15-17 10:51 AM
    So now that I know BlackBerry is committed to supporting BIS and BlackBerry World for at least another 2 years, I'll be acquiring a 9900/9930 and a Q10.

Here's my post on the relevant thread. Prepare for a lengthy read!

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13093820
    12-15-17 12:23 PM
    Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I was thinking about phasing out my 9900 due to the BIS shutdown, but now you got me thinking. I may just dual carry, use the 9900 for everything except Web browsing until I do finally get kicked off BIS

I agree with much of what you mentioned in that post, especially regarding privacy. I just spent a week on Android and it is so annoying and for those of us used to BlackBerry, the blatant ads and user tracking is pervasive and difficult, if not impossible, to get around.
    12-15-17 01:24 PM
    That’s good, at least now we have a deadline for BIS and we don’t have to hear people whining/speculating about it dying every two minutes.
    That's so optimistic. :P

I think we'll have a good round of whining and speculating, followed by a lull, and then another round of whining and speculating as the deadline approaches. Maybe I'm jaded though. Maybe you're right.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-15-17 05:11 PM
    That's so optimistic. :P

I think we'll have a good round of whining and speculating, followed by a lull, and then another round of whining and speculating as the deadline approaches. Maybe I'm jaded though. Maybe you're right.
    Honestly I was just fed up with all the whining like “oh don’t get a 9900 because maybe tomorrow they’re going to kill BIS or maybe next month or maybe three months from now!”

So I would rather have a deadline that hear all that crap in the General forum, so now we have an idea
    rayporsche and anon(10321802) like this.
    12-15-17 05:17 PM
    Honestly I was just fed up with all the whining like “oh don’t get a 9900 because maybe tomorrow they’re going to kill BIS or maybe next month or maybe three months from now!”

So I would rather have a deadline that hear all that crap in the General forum, so now we have an idea
    Whether or not one's carrier will keep BIS until 2020 is still a sword of Damocles hanging over one's head, though.
    12-15-17 05:19 PM
    Whether or not one's carrier will keep BIS until 2020 is still a sword of Damocles hanging over one's head, though.
    I am more than confident Canada’s largest cellular provider, and mine, Rogers, is going to keep BIS the full term as long as Blackberry doesn’t pull the plug.

It wasn’t too long ago that one of the larger providers here announced they were NOT going to sell/offer one of the new Blackberry models (I think it was the Classic or the Dtek50) and people got so furious they threatened to pull their contracts and go elsewhere. Needless to say they soon announced they would be offering them.

I’m not worried about it but I don’t know how “loyal” or tolerant US providers are for a minuscule Canadian company, I mean look at what Zuckerberg did by abandoning apps for the Blackberry format......do you think if it was an American company like Apple (if they were in financial trouble) they would be pulling the plug? “Patriotism and job Protectionism” aside, I bet they wouldn’t pull that plug on an American company!

Then again I see how many Americans were so willing to let GM die off and not even considering how many hundreds of thousands of jobs and parts suppliers are dependant on GM alone. Very short sighted thinking by having a defeatist attitude towards their demise and not fighting for it, and NOT considering the consequences for the future.

Some things are WORTH fighting for, especially NOW since the economy recovered in the US, but alas......there can never be a new Pontiac Trans Am to compete with the new Dodge Challenger, or Oldsmobile 442 (like my dad’s 1971 W30).

They are gone.

So to me, 2 years is SOMETHING we can be happy about and considering that most Android updates stop after what......2 years, and Apple updates stop around 4/5 years, considering this it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING that Blackberry with all their financial limits can offer this for devices like ours that are already over a half a decade old. Sure it would be GREAT if there were software updates but as long as they will function for email, texting, calling and a handful of still functioning apps, we should probably take what we can get at this point.
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-15-17 05:35 PM
    Actually I think BIS availability will probably outlast my batteries . Keeping them conditioned for the next 2 years will be the REAL challenge!
    rayporsche and mushroom_daddy like this.
    12-15-17 05:39 PM
    Sidenote, does anyone know the answer to this?

12-15-17 05:42 PM
    Sidenote, does anyone know the answer to this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fbe9738d68.jpg
    A. Microsoft Access

(mdb = Microsoft DataBase)
    idssteve and RaybanRJ like this.
    12-15-17 06:05 PM
    Been anticipating "Damocles' Sword" since fall of 2011. Lol. Well chosen dual carry mitigates much. But then, given Priv's orphan status in just two yrs, will my K1 be relevant two years from now?

I'm functioning at my practical limit. No more Steve for any additional clients or projects. My nose stays above water, while still pursuing a life, thanks to mobile productivity. Mostly thanks to 9900. I'm well prepared to transition to my Classic, once BIS dies, but must honestly recognize that i'll be forced to shed about half of my work load to do so. I'm still steep in K1 learning curve but see zero sign it'll ever approach 9900 productivity, either. Trading one arm in effort to escape Damocles might be worth considering IF Damocles' return wasn't almost assured by K1's possible obsolescence in two yrs. Whatzafeller2du?? Lol.

Rational solution: optimize productivity (and income) by leveraging 9900's unique assets for as long as possible. Then, re-evaluate retirement...??? Haha...
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    12-15-17 07:24 PM
    Look at Palm. The servers are GONE, the app store is GONE, the OS is EOL years ago, and yet a loyal group has preserved the apps here and there and found ways to activate the Palms and keep them going AND even do updates once in a blue moon. If WebOS users can do it, why can't we? How do we preserve our apps?
    idssteve, RaybanRJ and rayporsche like this.
    12-15-17 07:27 PM
    Look at Palm. The servers are GONE, the app store is GONE, the OS is EOL years ago, and yet a loyal group has preserved the apps here and there and found ways to activate the Palms and keep them going AND even do updates once in a blue moon. If WebOS users can do it, why can't we? How do we preserve our apps?
    I sent you a PM re: backing up apps.
    12-15-17 08:04 PM
    A. Microsoft Access

(mdb = Microsoft DataBase)
    Yup good job

idssteve likes this.
    12-15-17 08:25 PM
    ...I'm punchy. Need a battery pack for ME! Lol. Things are stable. I'm gonna grab 20 winks & let my "toys" recharge. . Old 99 still showing the youngsters how WORK is done! Lol.
    I've tried to buy the battery pack for myself on Amazon, but they won't ship it for free even on Prime!

Rock on, 99!
    12-15-17 08:44 PM
    I've tried to buy the battery pack for myself on Amazon, but they won't ship it for free even on Prime!

Rock on, 99!
    Haha... yep, some voltages are just too high for commercial transport... lol.
    12-15-17 09:11 PM
    Question: once BIS dies, so does email, unless one uses logicmail, right? BBM is a waste of time, so I never use. What about just a regular text message? Can a BIS-less bold do that? Internet should still work, I presume.
    12-16-17 02:21 AM

There's some discussion on getting / preserving apps in the Stickies section

/blackberry-bold-series-f235/bold-99xx-working-dead-apps-list-1075860-post13065687/

I haven't tried this myself but it might be worth having a go before they turn off the lights at BlackBerry World.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 12-16-17 at 08:48 AM.
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    12-16-17 08:05 AM
    There's some discussion on getting / preserving apps in the Stickies section

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=13065687

I haven't tried this myself but it might be worth having a go before they turn off the lights at BlackBerry World.
    I've done this and have all my apps backed up. It's very easy to do, and I recommend that every Bold user do it.

The best approach would be to install every third party app you remotely anticipate using in the future and do a BBSAK app backup. Afterward, you can uninstall any apps you don't really use right now (but were preserving just in case).

Then, if you have to wipe your device in the future, or your Bold breaks and you have to get a new one, you can reinstall all of the apps from the backup (and then uninstall those you don't need).

Alternatively, as that post explains, you can create individually installable apps from the backup, but most users probably won't need to do that.
    mushroom_daddy and idssteve like this.
    12-16-17 09:56 AM
    Question: once BIS dies, so does email, unless one uses logicmail, right? BBM is a waste of time, so I never use. What about just a regular text message? Can a BIS-less bold do that? Internet should still work, I presume.
    Yes. Provided that security certificates don't expire and protocols don't change, email will be possible via Logicmail, the web browser, or (incoming) by forwarding to email-to-text gateway.

If BIS gets shut down, I would presume that the cell companies will stop pushing service books (but you never know).

If that happens, and you lose your service books, the browser and MMS will stop functioning. SMS will continue to work. You can find service books for the browser by reading through the Bold without BIS thread, and get it working again. However, that won't fix your MMS messaging.

To avoid this problem, do a device backup with BB Desktop (including the service books) as soon as possible. Then you'll be able to restore your service books later. Seriously, do this (for your 9300 too). You'll kick yourself after the apocalypse if you don't.
    Bbnivende and idssteve like this.
    12-16-17 10:27 AM
    Bloody heck, I'll do a backup of all my curves and bolds and pray my desktop doesn't die. I'll even find those backups on the hard drive and save them to thumb drive as double backup! Blackberry isn't going to force me to use an android daily. I'll go to winphone or hey even palm first before doing that.

My main concern is BBID. If I remove my sim and put it back into a bold or curve, how will I bypass BBID if that is shut down? Or is that not server dependent?
    12-16-17 03:59 PM
8,754 ... 283284285286287 ...