I love to read, so the 9300 is great for me. The battery lasts a long time, easily a week with even casual usage, so I can read kindle stuff for days and days between charges. Almost as good as an e-ink ereader but much more portable! I used to eread on my 9900, but after I got the 9300, that older tech device won me over, even without touchscreen.

I recently took my sim out of the 9900 and put it into my lumia 830 again. I love Win8.1 mobile. It is so fluid, and I'll need the internet access for Black Friday,,.
    The Lumia 830 is probably the nicest looking slab device ever made. I'm off to eBay to look at 9300s. But I'm Jonesing for a Palm Lifedrive right now. I don't know why, but there's this sinister pull drawing me to it and I know I'll eventually cough up the cash.

Edit: 9300s are budget-friendly You could get a perfect condition one for $27 CAD. Hmmm....
    11-22-17 11:46 PM
    Yes, 9300 is very cheap now. Mostly because it is old legacy, non-touchscreen, non-4g, non-Android, so most people ignore it. BUT...it is great for sunlight reading, is very light in pocket, lasts forever if you turn off radios (you really don't want to use this on Wi-fi or browsing). It feels great in the hand due to lightness yet plumpness of shape. If you want a handy PDA, this is it. Save your regular phone for talk/text/internet/apps/etc. Use this (or 9900) for data entry, word, excel, kindle, and other PDA related activities. I find that the apps I use on my Bold 9900 work as well on 9300 (on OS6). I use kindle, Advance OS/LED mostly. And yes, the 9300 has multi-color LED and TWO(!) convenience keys! Awesome! I use one to lock the device, the other to access Kindle.

The 9300 may feel a little like cheap plastic in hand, but you won't need a case for it. It's virtually undroppable unless you're really clumsy, and even if it falls, the pieces will fly in all directions, dissipating all that kinetic energy and keeping the device functional. Just reassemble battery, cover, and phone, and you're good to go.

In comparison, my wife has an iPhone 6splus. She's gone through 3 cracked screen protectors and 3 cases already (roll eyes)...
    11-23-17 12:30 PM
    I love to read, so the 9300 is great for me. The battery lasts a long time, easily a week with even casual usage, so I can read kindle stuff for days and days between charges. Almost as good as an e-ink ereader but much more portable! I used to eread on my 9900, but after I got the 9300, that older tech device won me over, even without touchscreen.

I recently took my sim out of the 9900 and put it into my lumia 830 again. I love Win8.1 mobile. It is so fluid, and I'll need the internet access for Black Friday,,.

Absence of touchscreen is an invaluable FEATURE, imo. 9300 is attractive for lack of touchscreen distraction, imo. I have yet to identify ANYthing touch UI does better than 7.1's track UI. For MY use case, at least. My old 9650 is still a fav just for its lack of touchscreen and lack of associated ram resources devoured by touch interface. Always heard that roughly 256+ MB of precious ram was dedicated to 99's touch interface...??? My non-touch 9650 handles "app bloat" noticeably better than 99. Fwiw. 99's sub 3 minute boot times afforded by its 1.2GHz cpu makes for painlessly quick batt swaps, tho.

I wonder if 9300's keyboard might be more friendly for those who type with thumb flesh rather than thumb nails? I find thumb nails to be fast & precise on Bold's sculptured keys, which is why I still favor non-touch 9650. BUT can see where those favoring "thumb flesh" technique might prefer non-touch 9300 keys.? ??
    Last edited by idssteve; 11-23-17 at 12:54 PM.
    11-23-17 12:38 PM

I don’t know what this says but it’s still funny.
    idssteve likes this.
    11-23-17 03:54 PM
    Elevator wasn’t working in my building today we have two elevators, and when the repair guy came guess what he was using......
    idssteve and rayporsche like this.
    11-23-17 08:55 PM
    That looks like a Steve pic! One in each hand!

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-23-17 09:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lols ya
    11-24-17 01:03 AM
    And yes, the 9300 has multi-color LED and TWO(!) convenience keys! Awesome! I use one to lock the device, the other to access Kindle.
    But you have A button to lock the phone. By default.
    Posted via CB10
    11-24-17 05:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Haha... yep, Classic & 99 make a fabulously effective combo..!! Obviously a guy who values getting things done!! Lol.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-24-17 06:01 AM
    But you have A button to lock the phone. By default.
    Posted via CB10
    On the 9300, that button is a bit poor and mushy. Easier and more accessible to assign one of the convenience keys.
    11-24-17 09:35 AM
    Always wished 99 had more convenience keys. Pearl had 3. 9650 had 2. 99 only one. More & more of "less is more", more or less... Lol.

99's and Classic's lock key is best, tho. IMO. Older lock and mute under the plastic trim wasn't as positively tactile, imo. Of course apps like deKlikken can assign tasks to multiple key presses... I have first press of 99's convenience key set to messages. Double press set to browser. Triple press set to connections, etc. Also, double press of mute key set to flashlight. Etc, etc... I think at least 9 functions can be assigned to each key... Not sure if deKlikken still activates from BBW but there are others...
    11-24-17 10:32 AM
    Also really like Bulbera's Auto Lock for when I forget to lock handset. Locks after time out and can be set to unlock with simple Back button press. Unobtrusively effective at preventing butt dials.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-24-17 10:39 AM
    Everyone knows if it were _really_ Steve, the non-Bold hand would be holding a fork! ;D
    RaybanRJ and idssteve like this.
    11-24-17 04:49 PM
    Everyone knows if it were _really_ Steve, the non-Bold hand would be holding a fork! ;D
    Or a coffee!

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    David Tyler, RaybanRJ and idssteve like this.
    11-24-17 04:57 PM
    This is a RIOT... or something to inspire head-shaking disbelief, depending on your point of view.

From a WSJ article titled, "Three Simple Ways to Kick Your Smartphone Addiction," there's this gem:

"For an addict like myself—one of those losers who reflexively thumbs through apps while in line for coffee—the answer, ironically, is another phone. Light Phone is a game-changing gizmo, a second device—smaller and lighter than my real phone and, at roughly credit-card size, less conspicuous—designed to be used as little as possible.

"You can’t check email, text, browse the internet or swipe left with it. It harbors no seductive apps, has no color LCD screen. Tethered to your existing phone and number, it’s for voice calls only. Once you’ve pocketed the barely noticeable device, you leave your smartphone at home (or maybe in your glovebox)."

...OR -- and I'm just spit-balling here -- you could try treating your smart phone as a _tool_. Not a dispenser of the crystal meth of consumer gratification and entertainment; not the way you validate your existence with "social media" posts and "likes;" not the the oracle in which are found the answers to all life's mysteries (if only you stare long enough); but a _tool_.
    RaybanRJ and mushroom_daddy like this.
    11-24-17 09:22 PM
    This is a RIOT... or something to inspire head-shaking disbelief, depending on your point of view.

From a WSJ article titled, "Three Simple Ways to Kick Your Smartphone Addiction," there's this gem:

"For an addict like myself—one of those losers who reflexively thumbs through apps while in line for coffee—the answer, ironically, is another phone. Light Phone is a game-changing gizmo, a second device—smaller and lighter than my real phone and, at roughly credit-card size, less conspicuous—designed to be used as little as possible.

"You can’t check email, text, browse the internet or swipe left with it. It harbors no seductive apps, has no color LCD screen. Tethered to your existing phone and number, it’s for voice calls only. Once you’ve pocketed the barely noticeable device, you leave your smartphone at home (or maybe in your glovebox)."

...OR -- and I'm just spit-balling here -- you could try treating your smart phone as a _tool_. Not a dispenser of the crystal meth of consumer gratification and entertainment; not the way you validate your existence with "social media" posts and "likes;" not the the oracle in which are found the answers to all life's mysteries (if only you stare long enough); but a _tool_.
    Both a hilarious and sad commentary on the modern smartphone user.

The Light Phone costs $150 (but discounted to a mere $125 if you pre-order, because it doesn't actually exist yet and is supposed to ship in 2018). (https://www.thelightphone.com/preord...tphonediscount).

And it requires a smartphone to even use it!!

AND, they charge you $5/month or $25/6 months on top of your existing smartphone plan!!!

I mean come ON. How can anyone think this is possibly a great idea?

If you want a basic phone, just buy a $40 flip phone that works with your existing plan!

Or, like David, here's a revolutionary concept: learn to use your phone instead of letting your phone use you. If that means deleting games, social media, and other distracting apps, then delete them. If that means turning notifications off, turn them off.

I'm seriously considering going back to a flip phone, myself, for use on workdays. Maybe even forego carrying a phone on me at all.

I have a desk phone at work, and I can communicate via email and IM on my computer.

But I can't see myself buying such a ridiculous device as the Light Phone.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    11-24-17 10:20 PM
    Both a hilarious and sad commentary on the modern smartphone user.

The Light Phone costs $150 (but discounted to a mere $125 if you pre-order, because it doesn't actually exist yet and is supposed to ship in 2018). (https://www.thelightphone.com/preord...tphonediscount).

And it requires a smartphone to even use it!!

AND, they charge you $5/month or $25/6 months on top of your existing smartphone plan!!!

I mean come ON. How can anyone think this is possibly a great idea?

If you want a basic phone, just buy a $40 flip phone that works with your existing plan!

Or, like David, here's a revolutionary concept: learn to use your phone instead of letting your phone use you. If that means deleting games, social media, and other distracting apps, then delete them. If that means turning notifications off, turn them off.

I'm seriously considering going back to a flip phone, myself, for use on workdays. Maybe even forego carrying a phone on me at all.

I have a desk phone at work, and I can communicate via email and IM on my computer.

But I can't see myself buying such a ridiculous device as the Light Phone.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    It looks like a calculator. This is the first I’ve heard or seen of this.
    11-24-17 10:26 PM
    Why not just use a BlackBerry 9900? You can make/receive calls, message (sms), and if you want to, deal efficiently with Email while on the move.
    You can pick up a used Bold for less than a lightphone, it fits in your pocket and you don't get distracted by endless social media notifications. You can use it as a tool, and get your life back.
    Oh wait a minute ... I'm preaching to the converted .... that is what we're all doing here is it not? !
    11-25-17 03:31 AM
    Or a coffee!

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Haha... Or frequently all three... sequencing fork, coffee and Classic... left hand mostly glued to 99... ... as a TOOL... lol.
    11-25-17 04:13 AM
    Or, like David, here's a revolutionary concept: learn to use your phone instead of letting your phone use you. ...
    | CLASSIC
    Excellent point! Some of us still get our "dopamine fix" from real accomplishment. Virtual accomplishment just doesn't do it... for some of us, anyway.
    rayporsche and David Tyler like this.
    11-25-17 04:19 AM
    Excellent point! Some of us still get our "dopamine fix" from real accomplishment. Virtual accomplishment just doesn't do it... for some of us, anyway.
    "...the old-fashioned way!"
    idssteve likes this.
    11-25-17 07:45 AM
    Why not just use a BlackBerry 9900? You can make/receive calls, message (sms), and if you want to, deal efficiently with Email while on the move.
    You can pick up a used Bold for less than a lightphone, it fits in your pocket and you don't get distracted by endless social media notifications. You can use it as a tool, and get your life back.
    Oh wait a minute ... I'm preaching to the converted .... that is what we're all doing here is it not? !
    You know, my carrier doesn't support BIS, but I might just do that anyway!

As much as a flip phone sounds appealing, trying to text on one can be a nightmare.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    11-25-17 10:21 AM
    "...the old-fashioned way!"
    Haha...
    https://www.cnet.com/news/sean-parke...an-psychology/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...umbs-interact/

"... rare or well or real or virtual??" ... i'll have my sense of accomplishment well and real, please... lol.

-Product Caution-
    The power of global collaboration 9900 places under a single thumb can lead to addictively REAL accomplishment...
    11-25-17 10:34 AM
    I'd be curious to know if using smartphone has changed the way people learn how to TYPE. Do kids today know how to use an actual keyboard, as in a typewriter? With all 10 fingers, not just thumbs?
    11-25-17 04:58 PM
    I'd be curious to know if using smartphone has changed the way people learn how to TYPE. Do kids today know how to use an actual keyboard, as in a typewriter? With all 10 fingers, not just thumbs?
    Now I have this mental image of kids typing with two fingers, like Lou Grant and Wojohowitz.
    Frehley likes this.
    11-25-17 05:26 PM
8,754 ... 270271272273274 ...