The one app the 9900 never had -- and that I wanted -- was a Reddit app. Someone started to make an open source app, but it was never finished.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Also, why are there 2 Reddit apps? one is red and I think the other blue? I have red.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    07-26-17 09:26 PM
    I put it on my iphone because a friend said "you have to have it." Its ok if you want to search a product, cell case or a device but I don't much care for how they are now pushing trends to the inbox, and that means more bothersome notifs. Also when you open the app now, you see the big red notif icon thinking someone responded to you.....oops nope.....it's just whats new But i think the update for it JUST TODAY was supposed to put more control in settings to turn this off but I don't see the setting.

So just curious, how do you use the app/site?

Basically, I use reddit that same way as this site, except to follow hockey, the CFL, Jolla, Debian, etc.

I don't know about the app colours. Take the red pill or take the blue pill?

07-26-17 10:16 PM
    Basically, I use reddit that same way as this site, except to follow hockey, the CFL, Jolla, Debian, etc.

I don't know about the app colours. Take the red pill or take the blue pill?

Haha exactly!

I found it great for reading case reviews, also chimed in a bit myself, people seem genuinely cool there. I'm not sure I understand "sub-reddits" or whatever they are called, and how they "get moved up" but I am probably the last person to join that site.

If you started any Blackberry tech topics I wouldn't mind checking them out.

07-26-17 10:24 PM
    If you started any Blackberry tech topics I wouldn't mind checking them out.

I don't usually start topics over there, but I do follow https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/ and occasionally reply.

07-26-17 10:36 PM
    The one app the 9900 never had -- and that I wanted -- was a Reddit app. Someone started to make an open source app, but it was never finished.

Yah but that is really one example of the true problem. Which is that some people do not make their mobile sites usable.
    I was talking to my Android coworker the other day and he was asking about my awesome BlackBerry "does it have a Reddit app?"
    I asked him why he needed one, couldn't you just use the Web site? He laughed at that "Have you ever seen their mobile site??"

It's not like it can't be done, there are plenty of examples of really good mobile sites that work great, load fast.

I agree with the sentiment that apps aren't really necessary on mobile phones. (A few exceptions apply). Most of the time it is just fluffy fun stuff & games. The rest would be unnecessary (for users) if people made proper mobile websites. Of course apps can let you do so much more if you are a company trying to suck data, push ads or track users, etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 01:02 AM
    Yah but that is really one example of the true problem. Which is that some people do not make their mobile sites usable.
    I was talking to my Android coworker the other day and he was asking about my awesome BlackBerry "does it have a Reddit app?"
    I asked him why he needed one, couldn't you just use the Web site? He laughed at that "Have you ever seen their mobile site??"

It's not like it can't be done, there are plenty of examples of really good mobile sites that work great, load fast.

I agree with the sentiment that apps aren't really necessary on mobile phones. (A few exceptions apply). Most of the time it is just fluffy fun stuff & games. The rest would be unnecessary (for users) if people made proper mobile websites. Of course apps can let you do so much more if you are a company trying to suck data, push ads or track users, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Reddit has at least three different mobile websites.

There's the *really* old one you can get to from here: https://www.reddit.com/try/?dest=%2F.mobile

There's i.reddit.com

And then there's reddit.com/.compact

The last one doesn't work properly on the 9900 for some reason.

In any case, they're not completely horrible. What I often find though, is that apps are faster and have *fewer* ads. At least, the apps I like are faster and have no ads at all. That's why I like Tapatalk on the 9900, for example. I wish there was a clean reddit app that was as good as Tapatalk.

But I get what you're saying. A lot of android apps are ad-centric and designed to track you.

And a well-designed mobile website is a beautiful thing.
    07-28-17 12:08 AM
    So it shouldn't be taking a few extra hours longer to charge in the desktop Pod charger than it does with the USB on the side of the phone, but it is.

Weird.

Yes the contacts are clean on the POD charger and if anything they should be the clean ones because I didn't use the pod charger nearly as long as the USB.

It is the same micro USB cable that came with the POD charger so the watts/amps should be the same.....

07-29-17 12:35 AM
    So it shouldn't be taking a few extra hours longer to charge in the desktop Pod charger than it does with the USB on the side of the phone, but it is.

Weird.

Yes the contacts are clean on the POD charger and if anything they should be the clean ones because I didn't use the pod charger nearly as long as the USB.

It is the same micro USB cable that came with the POD charger so the watts/amps should be the same.....

Hmm... Maybe a bad POD? I recall some charging contact issues with earlier OSes. Sometimes Li charging algorithms are too smart to work. Lol.

You've surely tried cleaning finger oils from the charging contacts? They do get touched while holding the phone. Unlike usb. Doesn't take much "invisible" resistance to significantly impact amps at 5V.

Otherwise, idk. Haven't used my usb for so long cant recall how long it took to charge. Charge contacts on this beat up 99 are too damaged also. Can't help there either, I guess.

This old battle damaged 99 has been powered exclusively by battery swaps for half a year, now. Don't really care how long the spare battery takes to charge since it doesn't tie down the handset while charging. I prefer a slow charge for minimizing heat. Heat being enemy #1 for Li batts.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-30-17 06:44 AM
    Had a heckler today. My response was not as polite. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b7ab8bb57f.png
    Yeah, I have no doubt their dumptruck can haul more playground sand than my wife's Prius can. So? That doesn't make the Prius any less epic. All depends on what you do. SOME of us have WORK to do! Lol. I can attest that 9900 is, without qualification, an epic work communications tool. Haven't played in playgrounds for some time, now. Lol.
    07-30-17 06:54 AM
    now I want to get my 9900 out and use it again!
    08-01-17 11:40 PM
    Hmm... Maybe a bad POD? I recall some charging contact issues with earlier OSes. Sometimes Li charging algorithms are too smart to work. Lol.

You've surely tried cleaning finger oils from the charging contacts? They do get touched while holding the phone. Unlike usb. Doesn't take much "invisible" resistance to significantly impact amps at 5V.

Otherwise, idk. Haven't used my usb for so long cant recall how long it took to charge. Charge contacts on this beat up 99 are too damaged also. Can't help there either, I guess.

This old battle damaged 99 has been powered exclusively by battery swaps for half a year, now. Don't really care how long the spare battery takes to charge since it doesn't tie down the handset while charging. I prefer a slow charge for minimizing heat. Heat being enemy #1 for Li batts.
    I would hate to think it's a bad pod I mean I barely used it. And it still charges but I think even since new it always took a little longer to charge then directly plugging the cable in, not sure. I'll have to do some more testing. I have two more batteries to condition anyway so…
    08-01-17 11:59 PM
    How long of you had it? How many batteries do you have? Any problems with it so far?
    08-02-17 12:00 AM
    I would hate to think it's a bad pod I mean I barely used it. And it still charges but I think even since new it always took a little longer to charge then directly plugging the cable in, not sure. I'll have to do some more testing. I have two more batteries to condition anyway so…
    There are a few thing you may need to check: the contacts on the pod and phone, the power adapter, and the cable. The pod itself would hardly be a problem if the contacts are clean. If you look under the pod, the power specs show the same in put as out put, so it is just some copper wiring there.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-17 01:13 PM
    There are a few thing you may need to check: the contacts on the pod and phone, the power adapter, and the cable. The pod itself would hardly be a problem if the contacts are clean. If you look under the pod, the power specs show the same in put as out put, so it is just some copper wiring there.

Posted via CB10
    Contacts look pretty clean to me.

08-02-17 05:31 PM
    Cable is good it came with the pod, like new
    08-02-17 05:47 PM
    Blame Ralph!
    08-02-17 06:56 PM
    Blame Ralph!
    Haha just as long as they don't sue me if they have issues
    08-02-17 07:07 PM
    Never had an issue myself but coworkers here in the breakroom tell me they've had some of our pods (we have at least 100 in regular use around here) exhibit enough contact misalignment to short into the nearby stainless frame. Idk. I suppose it's possible to shunt part of the charging current thru the frame and still charge?

Neither of my "smart guys" is here but we're pretty convinced the Bold's charging contacts aren't directly paralleled with usb power circuitry. ?? A differing pathway could certainly explain differing charge rates.?? There's almost got to be blocking and surge diodes somewhere to avoid nasty things happening when handset is attached to PC thru usb while sitting in charge pod... something I've done quite a lot of in past years... just some thoughts.

I, for one, would like to see if a different handset might behave differently on your pod... ??
    08-02-17 07:19 PM
    What is a good and free pdf reader for 9900?

Sent from my only carry-around phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    08-03-17 02:03 PM
    What's wrong with what comes with the phone? Docs to Go or the basic viewer has always worked for me.
    It's not the same as a full desktop experience, but hey, come on...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-03-17 04:13 PM
    Docs to go is only displaying a blank pdf page. I don't know why. It's not a big deal for me, as I almost never use pdf on the 9900 anyway.

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    08-03-17 04:44 PM
    What's wrong with what comes with the phone? Docs to Go or the basic viewer has always worked for me.
    It's not the same as a full desktop experience, but hey, come on...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    From time to time they add new features to PDFs that don't display properly in older/generic clients. I've run into that problem when viewing certain PDFs on my Debian laptop.
    08-03-17 09:39 PM
    From time to time they add new features to PDFs that don't display properly in older/generic clients. I've run into that problem when viewing certain PDFs on my Debian laptop.
    Well if you're having problems on the desktop, then you shouldn't expect much better from the Bold!
    The PDF spec was last released waaay back in 2008, the new 2.0 release is only due out this year so I'm guessing probably the only issue is PDF creators generating something not spec compliant or jumping the gun.
    Typically I've found that when it doesn't work correctly, it's a bug (i.e. not even Adobe Reader can display correctly).

I read PDF's all the time and I've yet to find a PDF that any of my BlackBerry's failed to display properly. Slow, yes, but correct.
    08-04-17 11:51 PM
    My trusty 9900 is giving me a real problem and won't power on. Maybe this has been discussed somewhere before but when trying to turn on red light on for 10 seconds then goes dark. I've teed up a new one that's on the way but want to see if there are any known fixes in the group. Thanks for any possible help. Hoping to save my original and the content.
    08-05-17 05:50 PM
    My first guess is the battery. See if the battery in your new 9900 will work in it, when it arrives. Also see if it will stay on if you just plug in the charger cable and keep it attached.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    08-05-17 07:42 PM
8,754 ... 241242243244245 ...