The Pantech Pocket was once criticized for being oversized. That was only a few years ago! How things change; it is downright puny nowadays.

My 9930 feels so good in my hands and pocket. I can't resist anymore, I ordered a 9900 so I can use on ATT as my sole phone.

It's been mentioned here before, but anything I should know or re-hear about switching my sim card into 9900? I have a sim adaptor already.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930!
    07-10-17 01:20 PM
    Never mind! I did it, no real problems. BIS up and running, got my apps installed (after wasting two hours looking for an update to make BlackBerry App World work), found kindle again.

I love my new 9900, and it does look and feel new!

Now, all I need to do is start figuring out the shortcut keys when doing email or calls. I'm sure there's a lit somewhere around this forum...

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-11-17 12:06 AM
    07-11-17 10:15 AM
    A couple good links from iRetired for shortcuts. I listed some of my favorite shortcuts in the early days of this thread. Good luck finding them. Lol. I'll give a look when time permits. First one I typically set is "Messages" to Convenience key. This makes "Messages" available from within virtually any app with simple convenience key press. Handier than BB10's excellent Hub, imo. I also set "Messages" to include texts. Easy to see where BB10 Hub originated.

As for calls, I typically assign my most used speed dial to "P". VERY easy to find by feel. Also, the little "teet" on "5" is easily found by feel. Remember that "$" key turns on & off speakerphone. Advance OS & LED app provides automatic speakerphone setting. Among MANY useful functions.

I love the "I" for zoom in and "O" for zoom out and find it far more convenient and single handed friendly than silly "pinch to zoom". Of course, pinch is still available on 99's touch screen for those compelled to use both hands. Lol. Once zoomed, trackpad pans the image or document superbly.

Also, don't forget the first letter select "shortcuts" in menus. VERY handy and quick.
    Beyond those faves, there are a couple apps that assign multiple key presses to shortcuts... "ShortcutMe" I think, is one good one. I use deKlicken for compatibility with another app but would use ShortcutMe otherwise. I have first press of convenience key opening "Messages". Second press opens Browser. Third press... Whatever you want... All the way to 10 presses... Lol. I have second press of Mute key assigned to flashlight... Etc, etc...

All of this is just a start... Don't let the quantity of shortcuts overwhelm you. Just learn one or two at a time and give them time for your muscle memory to incorporate them in your workflow. Once mastered, include another, and you'll soon be addicted to unparalleled convenience!
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-12-17 at 06:06 AM.
    07-12-17 04:59 AM
    Full line still available in my hometown with Sasktel. They still sell the Classic. I finally handled a live K1
    07-12-17 04:29 PM
    I have to say I don't really like the keyboard as much on the key one as the 9900s it just didn't feel natural holding it to me. Good to see physical keyboards though.
    07-12-17 04:30 PM
    Keyone looks too tall for me. I'll stick with my 9900. It easily lasts a full work day for me, handles all my needs. Anything else (games, movies, etc.) can wait until I get home on my ipad.

07-12-17 06:39 PM
    Keyone looks too tall for me. I'll stick with my 9900. It easily lasts a full work day for me, handles all my needs. Anything else (games, movies, etc.) can wait until I get home on my ipad.

It was EXTREMELY TALL, certainly if we are used to smaller KB devices this was extreme.
    07-12-17 06:46 PM
    @ralph: did you try to see if the screen was moving or showing sign of lifting? I mean the KEYone.

Agree that it is too tall. I will not be able to sit down comfortably with the KEYone in my pant pocket. That's why I stick with the Bold and all the bigger thing got carried around in my backpack.

But I have to buy a KEYone at least for a reason and screen lifting is delaying me.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 08:08 AM
    @ralph: did you try to see if the screen was moving or showing sign of lifting? I mean the KEYone.

Agree that it is too tall. I will not be able to sit down comfortably with the KEYone in my pant pocket. That's why I stick with the Bold and all the bigger thing got carried around in my backpack.

But I have to buy a KEYone at least for a reason and screen lifting is delaying me.

Posted via CB10
    No I didn't do an extensive check on it.
    07-13-17 11:16 AM
    Who was it here that made a blog last year about using a 99 as a sole phone? Was it newfangled? Is there still a link to the site?

Sent from a pristine BlackBerry 9900
    07-13-17 11:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think I read that BlackBerry does not glue down or screw down the screen on the key one. If this is correct I wonder if it's because they realized it's so big that if you drop this thing mmaybe it would break and they wanted to make it easier to change out the screen. By comparison the screen on the 9900 was screwed down but in reality how likely or how often do we ever break the tiny screen on a 9990?

It is so small that it is less of a "target" for that rock on the ground when we drop them

Also being a smaller screen I think it is much tougher than a longer screen. Remember it is easier to bend/break a long twig than a stubby short twig.

If the K1 screen is not glued or screwed down it seems surprising because for those of us that have fully disassembled our 9900's to change parts and don't find it much of a burden, especially with the thousands of YouTube vids detailing every step.

THEN AGAIN another school of thought on this is "loose" fitted parts might be able to absorb impact better without breaking. I remember years ago someone telling me that the 9900 or my 9780 was designed to absorb the impact because the battery door goes flying off and the battery goes flying and that helps absorb some of the energy when you drop the device. I think we all remember dropping our legacy devices and in most cases you would see three pieces on the floor but you just put them back together and Bam you're back in business. But now with sealed battery technology everything is pretty much what it is and if you drop it you likely break it.

I guess everyone will have their own personal thoughts on this and I'm not saying one or the other is better I'm just spitballing out loud, that's all.
    07-13-17 12:40 PM
    In my opinion, smaller phones with more steel or plastic construction and removable parts are far more durable than these fragile glass slabs everywhere. Even my old verizon landscape phones were practically imprevious to drops. I've never bothered to put any small phones in a case. On the other hand, my wife's iphone most certainly remains in a case all the time... and has had two cracked screen protectors too.

I also find that my small phones last quite well battery-wise. My 9900 goes a full day without needing a charge, and I keep data on all the time. a couple hour charging in the morning before I leave, and I'm good for the whole day again. I'll browse a bit on opera and the usual email / text / calls, but so far, the 9900 has not needed a mid-day recharge or battery swap. I even had a long conference call the other day, and the 9900 didn't blink.

Love this phone. My wife thinks I'm nuts for using "Blackberry junk" (good thing she doesn't know about my Q10 I've hidden away!), but I believe I'll be using Bolds from now until the day 4g is finally dropped everywhere. Or until I can no longer buy a good replacement.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-13-17 02:38 PM
    Haha... Taller & Wider & Thinner pretty generally bends or breaks easier... says this ancient engineer, at least... lol.

I can report that my company's "torture tested" 99's have amazed every one of us for physical resilience and unmatched availability. We drop our handsets a LOT while utilizing them as data entry terminals for a particular niche service we perform. An activity that demands single handed out-of-position contortion inside control cabinets. Sometimes electrically live! Lol. Our Classics have also engendered respect for their impressive resilience but, in all fairness, simply get dropped about twice as often. Due mostly to their size & weight. When Classics do break, tho, downtime is generally prolonged. Our 99 fleet, in comparison, gets dropped less often, seems to suffer less damage when dropped, and is certainly unmatched for quick, easy, economical repair. 9900's overall equipment availability is unmatched. In our experience. Fwiw.
    07-14-17 05:11 AM
    Well, things about the KEYone removable screen are all over the KEYone forum. There is glue of course, but just a narrow and thin strip and on the ones with popping screens the glue is so thin that some thought that there was no glue. I think TLC is trying to cut cost by applying less glue and use a lower quality one. How else that could be explained when TLC has been making phones and gluing screen for years. LOL.
    Now instead of a removable battery, there is a removable screen, which will inconveniently break the cable when popping off.

The removable battery is a product from the time of Ni batteries when a battery would take up that memory effect and became useless when the phone was still in great shape. The non removable batteries came as the more modern phones demand more power, and as the Li batteries do not carry the memory effect, removing the thick protective shell around a battery would give more room and increase the effective volume of the battery. Still we have the term 'wall hugger' that John Chen fondly spoke of. That's my school of thought on this.

I think that the need to have a phone which pack enough power to last through the day was one major reason that drove Apple to produce the Plus size. Before that, was that Steve Job laughing at the phablets?

However the size of phablets and their battery, none would allow me to go deep into the countryside for a couple of days where power outage can last a week.

Posted via CB10
    Parker_Lewis likes this.
    07-14-17 09:22 AM
    I think that the need to have a phone which pack enough power to last through the day was one major reason that drove Apple to produce the Plus size. Before that, was that Steve Job laughing at the phablets?

However the size of phablets and their battery, none would allow me to go deep into the countryside for a couple of days where power outage can last a week.

Posted via CB10

People must also consider that on a Phablet or the iPhone plus models, the screen is much bigger therefore still using more power.

I really think it still depends on things like screen brightness, apps and usage. I have a friend who got an iPhone 6 4.7 inch two years ago and he can go three days before a battery charge. Now granted he only has about five apps on his phone and ones I told him about that are good and he liked, but this is a person who bought 128 GB storage and will never use it. So I think apps in the background always refreshing also plays a huge role for the juice. On my 4.7 inch iPhone I can get about six hours of heavy use. That is no different than my 9900. I know it's crazy. But I have 67 apps and over 200 tweet notifs per day so I'm not sure a bigger 7 Plus with a larger battery would extend my battery longevity much because that larger screen would also eat my power away.

Just my thoughts also but it is interesting trying to balance power and useage, but there are so many factors at play.
    07-14-17 11:06 AM
    Good times..... when the new KB came in one year ago today, and then I had to order the white plate for above the space bar......
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-14-17 04:33 PM
    Good times..... when the new KB came in one year ago today, and then I had to order the white plate for above the space bar......https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f076c8360.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bd3df9d7ab.jpg
    This is awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 10:11 PM
    Err I meant below the space bar
    07-14-17 10:18 PM
    I think the contrasting chin projects boldness ...
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-14-17 10:45 PM
    I think the contrasting chin projects boldness ...
    Agreed, I also think that black chin looks good, adding some symmetry to the design (matching the 'BlackBerry' section at the top of the handset)

Just out of interest, do the white 9900 handsets always have a black trackpad, or is that another Ralph mod?
    07-15-17 03:00 AM
    But the trackpad always look black.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 07:05 AM
    Optical Trackpad seems to use IR optics. Looks "black" to our eyes.
    07-15-17 08:38 AM
    Well, things about the KEYone removable screen are all over the KEYone forum. There is glue of course, but just a narrow and thin strip and on the ones with popping screens the glue is so thin that some thought that there was no glue. I think TLC is trying to cut cost by applying less glue and use a lower quality one. How else that could be explained when TLC has been making phones and gluing screen for years. LOL.
    Now instead of a removable battery, there is a removable screen, which will inconveniently break the cable when popping off.

The removable battery is a product from the time of Ni batteries when a battery would take up that memory effect and became useless when the phone was still in great shape. The non removable batteries came as the more modern phones demand more power, and as the Li batteries do not carry the memory effect, removing the thick protective shell around a battery would give more room and increase the effective volume of the battery. Still we have the term 'wall hugger' that John Chen fondly spoke of. That's my school of thought on this.

Posted via CB10

Batteries have come a LONG way since Ni days but they're still too frequently an earliest fail component. They're also still one of the heaviest components. Sizing a battery for extended endurance on hard use days means user hand must endure handling more weight & bulk than needed on easy use days. JM1s were sized to barely endure an easy day. That makes for compact form. The strategy works because mid day battery swaps can restore 100% charge in under 3 minutes. A marvelous strategy for compactness. Imo.

AND for versatility. Anyone who thinks their 9900 needs a larger battery simply needs to fit a larger battery! My 5000mAh monster provides solid three day endurance. Takes less than 3 minutes, including reboot, to pop in a spare from pocket and get on with life for three more days! Then, when back to light duty service, I still enjoy option to revert to compact, light weight JM1. Versatility.

I, myself, would rather carry the bulk of extra capacity in a pocket rather than exhaust my hand with it. At least when it's not needed.

AND, I simply LOVE the freedom of never tying my wireless handset to a wire! Like my 18 volt Dewalt cordless power tools, battery swaps afford the option to power real tools with out ever suffering the tool itself to tie to a wire for performing mundane battery charging duties. Let dedicated battery chargers wire to a wall while my TRULY wireless 99 stays with ME. No need to stand watch while it charges. No need to carry chargers into motel rooms and then forget them... lol.

This 99's usb port hasn't worked since its "great fall", several months ago. Its charging contacts were also damaged in that fall. No problem. I've been powering it strictly with batteries swapped from charger in vehicle. TRUE wireless freedom!
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-15-17 at 08:56 AM.
    07-15-17 08:39 AM
    Agreed, I also think that black chin looks good, adding some symmetry to the design (matching the 'BlackBerry' section at the top of the handset)

Just out of interest, do the white 9900 handsets always have a black trackpad, or is that another Ralph mod?
    Lol @ Ralph Mod.

Nope the new KB came that way but I like your thinking!! Too bad it wasn't a complete whited out KB with white TP too!

They were all black as far as I know

I just didn't like the black "chin" or "grin" or whatever we want to call it. It didn't look complete to me. I kinda wanted it to look like it could have been from the factory that way, otherwise to me it looked like a "Frankenstein 9900" as someone put it so eloquently last year

Side note: I am still travelling and checked the battery on the 9900 from sitting for a week and it was below dead! I was concerned that it would not be able to be recovered but fortunately no "red x" indicating. I promptly checked the other 2 spare batteries and conditioned them as well. To be fair I believe I packed them at 50% capacity because I read that it is not good to sit too long at FULL capacity.
    07-16-17 08:37 PM
8,754 ... 239240241242243 ...