Oh I have used Windows phones, specifically BLU one too. There's more wrong than just ringtone volume! Overall it is much more buggy than competitors and the app store is more empty then BB10 by a large margin.

I really don't know if there are any benefits to this thing. Microsoft may keep updating it, but it's got a long way to go before even catching up to BlackBerry.

I'll take my Bold any day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    So can you tell me if the one in the pic I showed above, if it is a newer Blu? Because I googled the device and it says it is from 2014!!! Yet I read that Windows started making phones around 2009 (if I recall) and I'm hoping she didn't get suckered into buying some older model that is obsolete.

I also read that they are not compatable with being able to update to Windows 10.

Or maybe those were the older ones.

But I am not looking foreward to telling her that she might need to install an app to be able to hear her ringtone ahahah!

She SHOULD have researched the device before getting it.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-15-17 05:27 PM
    Many will see all of us as stuck in the gutter if still using an old BlackBerry in 2017 ( be that a Bold or BB10 device)
    They can see this all they want, the phones work for us and our needs, I don't understand people's obsession with trying to get blackberry users to stop using the phones. For instance, the convenience key on the Bold is incredibly handy, if I need to do a document file and also need to take notes at the same time I hit the convenience key because it's always been set to my memopad ever since 2009 haha. I know BB10 had the multi-screen function but it isn't the same, is that why they didn't include convenience keys?
    05-15-17 05:41 PM
    lol. I think that was me!
    I don't blame you, the notifications in BBM groups on the Bold are so annoying haha, the groups slow the phone down and suck the life out of the battery even if you turn off any notifications, the groups only work well on BB10 and Android.
    05-15-17 05:43 PM
    lol ya it's pretty ridiculous tho. Thats one thing Blackberry Legacy never cheaped out on are the ringtones. They are designed to be heard in a noisy trading house with people yelling at the top of their lungs. My iphone 5C was pretty pathetic for ear piece volume and if a car went by on the street I often had to have the person repeat what they said.

I agree with you, the noise volume on my iphones were always low especially in social settings, I rarely heard it unless it was that awful shrill whatsapp sound. Thankfully the Priv has the BlackBerry sounds and can be heard in loud environments.
    05-15-17 05:45 PM
    I'm sure it's been covered before but the other day I was in the google play store and saw that BBM has been downloaded 100 Million times which is really good, i'm sure not all of them are active users but if WhatsApp can boast about 1 Billion users even though some are inactive, BBM can do the same, and that's only on one platform too.
    05-15-17 05:47 PM
    Maybe Apple doesn't want to turn up the ear piece volume up too much because they don't want the speaker blowing. Remember I had to get the ear speaker replaced ($29) on the 9900 but it was worth it for the stress free convos in all environmental conditions. It was worth it over straining to hear people talk and missing important information.....if it was serious....
    05-15-17 06:36 PM
    So can you tell me if the one in the pic I showed above, if it is a newer Blu? Because I googled the device and it says it is from 2014!!! Yet I read that Windows started making phones around 2009 (if I recall) and I'm hoping she didn't get suckered into buying some older model that is obsolete.

I also read that they are not compatable with being able to update to Windows 10.

Or maybe those were the older ones.

But I am not looking foreward to telling her that she might need to install an app to be able to hear her ringtone ahahah!

She SHOULD have researched the device before getting it.

I think it might be the BLU JR, which 'was' going to be updated to Win10, but wasn't. Still works as a Win Phone, but might not be as lovely as we all hope. Mother-in-law has one.

I've got the 'last' Windows Phone known to man, in the Lumia 650. It's pretty good as a business phone with the hot links to Office and other obstructions. It keeps getting regular updates, and some say it will receive the new Universal Apps for W10, but it's like having a mysterious cake that never bakes. You take it out of the oven every hour, but it's never quite finished.

Here's the BLU Jr:

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-blu.jpg
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-16-17 02:09 AM
    Compared Windows Phone 8 or Windows 10 Mobile to iOS or Android or even BlackBerry I have to admit that Windows smartphones have to most beautiful home screen and GUI... Sure, there is not much apps but the most basic apps are working fine. Sad, that on mobile market we have only Android and iOS.
    05-16-17 07:52 AM
    Compared Windows Phone 8 or Windows 10 Mobile to iOS or Android or even BlackBerry I have to admit that Windows smartphones have to most beautiful home screen and GUI... Sure, there is not much apps but the most basic apps are working fine. Sad, that on mobile market we have only Android and iOS.
    Looking back over the growing size of my 'dead kit box' with a collection of Curves, a Bold, several Androids and WinPhones used for security testing I'm saddened by the billions of lines of code that went into the development of those devices and then were 'superseded' by the giant Ponzi scheme of tech 'progress.'

150 million discarded phones every year in the USA (Wikipedia). Nutz. It's not progress, it's a rush to ruin. (Compare Fall of Roman Empire.)

Anyway, in terms of Bold-ness, as Ralph pointed out, the thing could be used in shouty dealer-rooms (I worked in one once) and the subsequent plastic-fantastics are mostly not used as 'phones'.

I worked slightly on the WinPhone 7.1 introduction, my press was to get 'roundy corners' on the tiles for a less jaggy look, but it seems 'jaggy' is the new thing. But yes, the WP live tiles GUI is excellent. BB10 can emulate it
    to a degree, but not to the same fluid level.

However, I still find the B/W text screens on BB7/10 more legible and as I'm mostly working with text, and not Candy Crush, I'm still on the Blackberry.
    05-16-17 11:33 AM
    Looking back over the growing size of my 'dead kit box' with a collection of Curves, a Bold, several Androids and WinPhones used for security testing I'm saddened by the billions of lines of code that went into the development of those devices and then were 'superseded' by the giant Ponzi scheme of tech 'progress.'

150 million discarded phones every year in the USA (Wikipedia). Nutz. It's not progress, it's a rush to ruin. (Compare Fall of Roman Empire.)

Anyway, in terms of Bold-ness, as Ralph pointed out, the thing could be used in shouty dealer-rooms (I worked in one once) and the subsequent plastic-fantastics are mostly not used as 'phones'.

I worked slightly on the WinPhone 7.1 introduction, my press was to get 'roundy corners' on the tiles for a less jaggy look, but it seems 'jaggy' is the new thing. But yes, the WP live tiles GUI is excellent. BB10 can emulate it
    to a degree, but not to the same fluid level.

However, I still find the B/W text screens on BB7/10 more legible and as I'm mostly working with text, and not Candy Crush, I'm still on the Blackberry.
    This is why I liked the modular phone idea from google so you wouldn't have to throw everything out. Processors are to the point now where anything built in the last 2-3 years is just as fast as stuff nowadays, upgrades are coming from software.

Heck I just had a huge windows 10 upgrade to my 2013 Dell Venue 8 pro and it runs faster than ever!
    05-16-17 02:18 PM
    Just more ramblings here. Both my BB9900 and Galaxy S8 are peacefully co-existing. My S8 is mainly for the camera, web cruising, plus some apps I need that I can't get on my 9900. My 9900 is for all other communications including the love of the pkb/trackpad/form factor. I also have, standing by as backup(S) my Classic and my Nexus 6-all on TMO. I also have my S8 "blackberryized" via Colbalt's app.

My bold had suddenly stopped getting BIS in the last couple of weeks. I troubleshot to no avail and finally called TMO. They resent the service books and all is well again with my Bold. I had the sudden awful thought that TMO had stopped support of the BIS (blackberry data plan). But, no they did not and I am a happy camper again with my Bold 9900
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-18-17 03:34 AM
    Just more ramblings here. Both my BB9900 and Galaxy S8 are peacefully co-existing. My S8 is mainly for the camera, web cruising, plus some apps I need that I can't get on my 9900. My 9900 is for all other communications including the love of the pkb/trackpad/form factor. I also have, standing by as backup(S) my Classic and my Nexus 6-all on TMO. I also have my S8 "blackberryized" via Colbalt's app.

My bold had suddenly stopped getting BIS in the last couple of weeks. I troubleshot to no avail and finally called TMO. They resent the service books and all is well again with my Bold. I had the sudden awful thought that TMO had stopped support of the BIS (blackberry data plan). But, no they did not and I am a happy camper again with my Bold 9900
    I've only had to call about the service books once several months ago when I swapped from my iPhone and back to the 9900 again and at first I was concerned also. But BIS works beautifully when it is all set up.
    05-18-17 04:17 AM
    Did you guys hear about Facebook being fined over €100 Million for lying about their intentions to the EU about Whatsapp? to be honest they deserve this, not only for lying but because they have abandoned blackberry since the facebook takeover. Facebook is not a fan of blackberry which is evidence because they never updated the facebook chat app since 2012 and the original facebook app didn't get many updates until they wanted to kill it off.

05-18-17 08:04 AM
    Did you guys hear about Facebook being fined over €100 Million for lying about their intentions to the EU about Whatsapp? to be honest they deserve this, not only for lying but because they have abandoned blackberry since the facebook takeover. Facebook is not a fan of blackberry which is evidence because they never updated the facebook chat app since 2012 and the original facebook app didn't get many updates until they wanted to kill it off.

Absolutely, they had and still have a lot of forces working against them. Notice how most people like to, or would rather blame BlackBerry for everything. No one ranted more fiercely then I did when Zuckerberg killed support for blackberry on WhatsApp when the entire infrastructure was there and it would be peanuts to keep it open, because the real cost is writing new software and programs. But it was simply easier for them to just pull the plug because they couldn't be bothered. Not to mention BlackBerry was extremely popular if not the most popular device used that helped put Facebook on the map when it really started to take off around 2006, 2007. But this means nothing, it's easier to "abandon the allies."

I've noticed in the general forum that if anyone suggests there are forces working against BlackBerry or other companies competing, they still prefer to blame BlackBerry and state "they got what they deserved" It's kind of the mentality like when I was in Cadillac forums. Cadillac had a couple of bad years before they restructured and innovated and it took time to get back on track and target younger people with new designs, but in the meantime they were like "when Cadillac builds a better car I'll buy one!" But they didn't, they bought Lexus, Mercedes and BMW even though they still built good cars. But there always has to be a fall guy, something they can criticize or make fun of and right now that's like BlackBerry in the mobile realm.

I'll never forget about five or six years ago there were several lawsuits against BlackBerry that were the most stupid cases I've ever heard of, and over ridiculous issues, but just kick them when they were down. But yes people continue to blame BlackBerry even then. I also maintains that I do not believe it was that easy for a Canadian company to buy airtime for televised commercials on American networks and break into the mainstream. I don't think they exactly "make it easy" for foreign companies to break into a sea of American commercials among all the protectionism's they have and when many foreign companies are seen as somehow stepping on their toes or taking their jobs away, invaders, in some form. Today this is more fierce than any other time I've seen.

It's just easier to blame the weak company instead of any other external factors that might've been against it.

If blackberry built a product right now that rivalled any android or iOS device I'm wondering if anybody would even care, I'm wondering if it's too late to even be considered anything other than a laughingstock at this point.

Any new product that has a less than 1.5% selling rate (or whatever that number is now) trying to break into a market among giants takes guts and they do have a LOT against them. Some will admire this, some will mock them and laugh and still others will blame them for the slump and NEVER consider any external forces that are trying to destroy them.

Business is competition and everyone wants the monopoly on the market, and they will do what it takes to crush the others, even if they barely have a market for their product. But people like to pretend there's a cute fluffy little fantasy world where all the businesses get along wonderfully and hold hands in the park and sing Kumbaya while at the same time they are stabbing them in the back to make their own profit and take their revenue, that's business.

Bigger sharks eat little fish so never trust the sharks.

I'm actually quite surprised someone like apple didn't buy blackberry a few years ago when they could've had them for peanuts, say around 150-200 billion. All the patents and technology and innovation that BlackBerry had, all the encryption technology. But I guess now there's no interest.

EDIT: i'm reminded of the time at Best Buy I asked to see the new D tek 50 and the cellular salesperson at flat out told me "oh I don't bother showing BlackBerry to people there's no market for them." It is also that kind of propaganda and mentality that helped contribute to the downfall.

Yup, kick them when they're down.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-18-17 at 11:22 AM.
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-18-17 11:03 AM
    Absolutely, they had and still have a lot of forces working against them. Notice how most people like to, or would rather blame BlackBerry for everything. No one ranted more fiercely then I did when Zuckerberg killed support for blackberry on WhatsApp when the entire infrastructure was there and it would be peanuts to keep it open, because the real cost is writing new software and programs. But it was simply easier for them to just pull the plug because they couldn't be bothered. Not to mention BlackBerry was extremely popular if not the most popular device used that helped put Facebook on the map when it really started to take off around 2006, 2007. But this means nothing, it's easier to "abandon the allies."

I've noticed in the general forum that if anyone suggests there are forces working against BlackBerry or other companies competing, they still prefer to blame BlackBerry and state "they got what they deserved" It's kind of the mentality like when I was in Cadillac forums. Cadillac had a couple of bad years before they restructured and innovated and it took time to get back on track and target younger people with new designs, but in the meantime they were like "when Cadillac builds a better car I'll buy one!" But they didn't, they bought Lexus, Mercedes and BMW even though they still built good cars. But there always has to be a fall guy, something they can criticize or make fun of and right now that's like BlackBerry in the mobile realm.

I'll never forget about five or six years ago there were several lawsuits against BlackBerry that were the most stupid cases I've ever heard of, and over ridiculous issues, but just kick them when they were down. But yes people continue to blame BlackBerry even then. I also maintains that I do not believe it was that easy for a Canadian company to buy airtime for televised commercials on American networks and break into the mainstream. I don't think they exactly "make it easy" for foreign companies to break into a sea of American commercials among all the protectionism's they have and when many foreign companies are seen as somehow stepping on their toes or taking their jobs away, invaders, in some form. Today this is more fierce than any other time I've seen.

It's just easier to blame the weak company instead of any other external factors that might've been against it.

If blackberry built a product right now that rivalled any android or iOS device I'm wondering if anybody would even care, I'm wondering if it's too late to even be considered anything other than a laughingstock at this point.

Any new product that has a less than 1.5% selling rate (or whatever that number is now) trying to break into a market among giants takes guts and they do have a LOT against them. Some will admire this, some will mock them and laugh and still others will blame them for the slump and NEVER consider any external forces that are trying to destroy them.

Business is competition and everyone wants the monopoly on the market, and they will do what it takes to crush the others, even if they barely have a market for their product. But people like to pretend there's a cute fluffy little fantasy world where all the businesses get along wonderfully and hold hands in the park and sing Kumbaya while at the same time they are stabbing them in the back to make their own profit and take their revenue, that's business.

Bigger sharks eat little fish so never trust the sharks.

I'm actually quite surprised someone like apple didn't buy blackberry a few years ago when they could've had them for peanuts, say around 150-200 billion. All the patents and technology and innovation that BlackBerry had, all the encryption technology. But I guess now there's no interest.

EDIT: i'm reminded of the time at Best Buy I asked to see the new D tek 50 and the cellular salesperson at flat out told me "oh I don't bother showing BlackBerry to people there's no market for them." It is also that kind of propaganda and mentality that helped contribute to the downfall.

Yup, kick them when they're down.
    I think i've said this before, but when i was buying the Q10 at the time the staff were condescending about the phone and kept asking me repeatedly if i "really wanted" the phone, of course this made me want it even more, and mid way through the contract the cell provider called me and asked if i would like to upgrade to an iPhone because they were phasing out all their blackberry devices, after the contract ended i left them because they were so expensive and one of the only network providers to sell the Q10. What these companies seem to forget is that the apps work on OS 6,7,10, they only have to allow the platforms to access it, they don't even have to issue another update, for instance ICQ hasn't updated their app since around 2012 and it still works. If Whatsapp, Viber, Line, Facebook, Facebook chat had just decided to not issue updates but kept the apps open and running it wouldn't have made the blackberry's seem so "past it". I am so happy Facebook is receiving heat from the EU for lying because i have a feeling that Whatsapp would have continued to support blackberry devices, my suspicion is Facebook wanted to implement some spying services into the app and BlackBerry 7 and 10 wouldn't allow it or support it, or it would have been to hard to do the spying in those phones. I wish more people would be open to using BBM because it's been downloaded 100 Million times in the google play store, probably much less in Apple's App Store but it is a great app and will always be supported on the blackberry phones. I wish there was at least one major-medium messaging app that people use that was available for BlackBerry, the only thing left is BBM, WeChat and ICQ.

05-18-17 12:26 PM
    .... What these companies seem to forget is that the apps work on OS 6,7,10, they only have to allow the platforms to access it, they don't even have to issue another update, for instance ICQ hasn't updated their app since around 2012 and it still works. If Whatsapp, Viber, Line, Facebook, Facebook chat had just decided to not issue updates but kept the apps open and running it wouldn't have made the blackberry's seem so "past it". I am so happy Facebook is receiving heat from the EU for lying because i have a feeling that Whatsapp would have continued to support blackberry devices, my suspicion is Facebook wanted to implement some spying services into the app and BlackBerry 7 and 10 wouldn't allow it or support it, or it would have been to hard to do the spying in those phones. I wish more people would be open to using BBM because it's been downloaded 100 Million times in the google play store, probably much less in Apple's App Store but it is a great app and will always be supported on the blackberry phones. I wish there was at least one major-medium messaging app that people use that was available for BlackBerry, the only thing left is BBM, WeChat and ICQ....
    There are a lot of "stupid" programmers out there. Back in the day, a lot of web sites would check for IE instead of capability & some would even actively block you from the web site.
    Sometimes I think there is some sort of conspiracy against BlackBerry. I don't understand why, for example, Google disabled the Youtube player on the PlayBook as all the videos I'd previously accessed still played fine. (And they still work on my Bold, so what gives?). Then there was Yahoo!, when they decided they should go mobile and employees should all get mobiles, they could choose anything they want except BlackBerry devices...the list seems to go on.

Why would WhatsApp, Line , etc block BlackBerry? Just leave it open, if it works, it works, if not just ignore all support requests.

I didn't know anyone still use ICQ? :-)
    What about XMPP/Jabber ? It's an open standard, clients are available even for desktop, BB7 or BB10 and doesn't depend on any central server. If one shuts down, you can move to another.

05-19-17 12:39 AM
    Ralpho ditto'd: 'blame BlackBerry and state "they got what they deserved" It's kind of the mentality like when I was in Cadillac forums. '

I guess it's all down to the social meme-thing where some influential half-wit gets a new tech-toy and ergo; everything that went before it is now junk.

On Cadillacs, a few years ago I rented a place in London that had just been converted from a large mansion to 'luxury apartments'. I got a free upgrade to a 'superior' suite; they couldn't let the apartments as they were way too expensive, a guy moved in next to me with a Cadillac CTS. Never been so much in lust with a car, but appears there's only one dealer in the whole of the UK. Turned out the place was the old Virgin HQ, owned by Richard Branson.

So there's been a lot of knocking in the media over Blackberry - to the point of anyone owning one is seen as dumb. Now, we judge people not by the clothes they wear, or their occupation, but by what electronics they carry.

One huge advantage with BB7/10 devices is that it's possible to live without Google slurping every bit of data; visual, audible, location, and email that you generate. A few of us die-hards don't want to become the product that Google/FB sells, we're the last of the dinosaurs in a world of over-sharers.

Happy note: NetFlix has 'Designated Survivor', set in the White House. It's awash with PKB BlackBerries:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cters-1086611/
    05-19-17 01:55 AM
    Ralpho ditto'd: 'blame BlackBerry and state "they got what they deserved" It's kind of the mentality like when I was in Cadillac forums. '

I guess it's all down to the social meme-thing where some influential half-wit gets a new tech-toy and ergo; everything that went before it is now junk.

On Cadillacs, a few years ago I rented a place in London that had just been converted from a large mansion to 'luxury apartments'. I got a free upgrade to a 'superior' suite; they couldn't let the apartments as they were way too expensive, a guy moved in next to me with a Cadillac CTS. Never been so much in lust with a car, but appears there's only one dealer in the whole of the UK. Turned out the place was the old Virgin HQ, owned by Richard Branson.

So there's been a lot of knocking in the media over Blackberry - to the point of anyone owning one is seen as dumb. Now, we judge people not by the clothes they wear, or their occupation, but by what electronics they carry.

One huge advantage with BB7/10 devices is that it's possible to live without Google slurping every bit of data; visual, audible, location, and email that you generate. A few of us die-hards don't want to become the product that Google/FB sells, we're the last of the dinosaurs in a world of over-sharers.

Happy note: NetFlix has 'Designated Survivor', set in the White House. It's awash with PKB BlackBerries:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cters-1086611/
    I drove a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood in mint condition with low mileage for 13 years until 2 years ago when the headgasket went. Had it fixed for $2500, it blew again just out of warrenty. Had to cut my losses. Miss it a LOT but I definately had a lemon and the mechanic I had could not fix it properly.

I would hope it is the same with the quality of Blackberry. I wonder if the quality of the newer ones is a good as the older Legacy, or is it better with the likes of the KeyOne. I guess time will tell.

Not everything new is always better because older devices (or cars) were more simple, and with less on them to go wrong.

I guess time will tell.

05-19-17 05:18 PM
    There are a lot of "stupid" programmers out there. Back in the day, a lot of web sites would check for IE instead of capability & some would even actively block you from the web site.
    This made me so reluctant to switch to Firefox back in the day. I believe I finally gave up Internet Explorer for Firefox 1.5, but it seemed like a giant step! It took a few more years before I was willing to ditch Windows altogether for Linux. Now the only reason I have an old laptop with Windows on it at all is to mess around with BlackBerries.
    05-19-17 07:37 PM
    This made me so reluctant to switch to Firefox back in the day. I believe I finally gave up Internet Explorer for Firefox 1.5, but it seemed like a giant step! It took a few more years before I was willing to ditch Windows altogether for Linux. Now the only reason I have an old laptop with Windows on it at all is to mess around with BlackBerries.
    I'm using Firefox on the Ipad. I read not too long ago that Firefox was having some financial difficulty, and that perhaps their security might be lacking, but I did not follow up on this.....

05-20-17 05:48 PM

Ah the good ol' days
    05-22-17 06:12 PM
    Realistically, shouldn't this Gold High Cap battery be thicker than the original JM-1?!

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    05-22-17 06:33 PM
    Realistically, shouldn't this Gold High Cap battery be thicker than the original JM-1?!

Yes. It's impossible to squeeze (much) more storage capacity into the same battery dimensions. They might be able to get close to 1300 mAh without changing the door / compartment size, but nothing more.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-22-17 07:53 PM
    2011 was the year BlackBerry were accused of promoting the London riots. The perps used bis-BBM which the 'cops couldn't read. '

Funny how much things have changed with people clamouring for crypto messaging.
    mconlon likes this.
    05-23-17 12:16 AM
    Yes. It's impossible to squeeze (much) more storage capacity into the same battery dimensions. They might be able to get close to 1300 mAh without changing the door / compartment size, but nothing more.
    Yabbut it's made of GOLD and it's got a fluoro flash 'uprated' sticker on it for only 61 cents more. Who could resist?

:-)
    05-23-17 01:55 AM
8,754 ... 227228229230231 ...