You guys have me laughing hard inside my head. When I started in fall 87, I owned no typewriter and I had given up on my dad ever buying us the radio shack TRS-80. I would have to use computer lab for typing papers on WordPerfect. My dad felt bad and bought me a portable(not really) Brother word processor (WP-55). Thing weighed like 35 pounds... but you could fix all your typos and save to a 3.5" floppy disk all before you printed.

Posted via CB10
    Oh man! In Grade 7 the Radio Shack TRS-80 with cassette drive is what we had to learn on. Meanwhile our teacher had an Apple "something" from that year. (I'm sure it wasn't a Commodore 64, but not certain)

whoa flashback

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    04-13-17 05:04 PM
    Those transition years resulted in some interestingly capable hybrids. Still gotta IBM Wheelwriter my old HP41 calculator prints & plots to! (long story lol). For me, "Trash" 80 was a giant leap from Tandy's Color Computer CoCo 2 which sported 8 colors and 32Kb of RAM! Lol. That's K for kilobytes... lol.

Of course I'm still capably proficient with Morse and Semaphore and might even fake my way thru smoke signals... BUT, global human communications achieved exquisite perfection with 9900. Imo.
    When the power goes out we will all be trying to use smoke signals, probably not a bad thing to know

I don't like how even gas pumps are all computerized and if there is a power outage you ain't getting no Porsche gas

Groceries too! I once had to leave behing $75 worth of groceries because the lights went out!

what are we......oh yeah.......LONG LIVE the 9900

04-13-17 05:09 PM
    New Rule, the 9900 will have exclusive Crackberry duties from now on! I gotta keep them batteries conditioned after all.

And yes that is an extended 6 foot charging cable for the 7, it has a little more freedom to "roam." But Blackberry is always more generous with Charging cable lengths!!!! The factory iphone cable is a weenie wittle 3 feet! That's like the width of my head.

Hmm... So iPhone is still resisting usb?? lol.

Of course when your "wall charger" can restore your 9900 to 100% in under 3 minutes... who needs a charging cable?
    04-13-17 06:03 PM
    Hmm... So iPhone is still resisting usb?? lol.

Of course when your "wall charger" can restore your 9900 to 100% in under 3 minutes... who needs a charging cable?
    Not my wall charger, that thing takes 5 hours to charge to 100% :/

But I must be experiencing Missing Time like an alien abductee or something because the new usb charger you see in the pic (came with the dock charger) only takes about 2 hours to fully charge the JM1, and I thought it took longer last year!!!!

The iphone with Lightning only takes 2 hours! It's like the 99 is trying to compete, no joke!

How long for your JM1's to charge Steve......with the USB I mean.....?

No explanation!

04-13-17 07:26 PM
    The beauty of swappable batteries is that our 9900s are never obligated to be tied to a wire while its battery is charging. So long as your wall charger gets the spare charged before your 99 runs down, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to charge the spare. Less than 3 minutes, including boot, to pop in that spare and restore 9900 to 100%. Let chargers & iPhones stay wired to a wall. No need for 99 to ever leave hand...
    04-13-17 08:02 PM
    The beauty of swappable batteries is that our 9900s are never obligated to be tied to a wire while its battery is charging. So long as your wall charger gets the spare charged before your 99 runs down, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to charge the spare. Less than 3 minutes, including boot, to pop in that spare and restore 9900 to 100%. Let chargers & iPhones stay wired to a wall. No need for 99 to ever leave hand...
    Ah the younger generation, SO IMPATIENT nowadays
    04-13-17 08:12 PM
    Ah the younger generation, SO IMPATIENT nowadays
    Haha... funny thing, us old timers have less time to waste! Lol.
    04-13-17 08:16 PM
    Haha... funny thing, us old timers have less time to waste! Lol.
    Which might explain why you need faster cars like Porsches ;-) ha ha just kidding
    04-14-17 02:54 PM
    Yeah, especially when you are on the meetings all day then you go out to bar for after party without time to connect to the wire. Now had 2 days trip to foreign country - Germany - and I didn't need charger almost. Just spare batteries and BIS on.
    04-14-17 04:20 PM
    Yeah, especially when you are on the meetings all day then you go out to bar for after party without time to connect to the wire. Now had 2 days trip to foreign country - Germany - and I didn't need charger almost. Just spare batteries and BIS on.
    Yep. Also, spare battery chargers can be left unattended to charge the spare battery in a quiet corner, or in hotel, or room, or car, etc... while 99 stays on the job, safely in hand. Unlike batt-packs, who's going to steal a JM1 & its charger?

My old 9930's usb AND charging contacts haven't worked for months. Haven't missed them a bit. Just too handy (pun intended lol) to keep it securely in hand, on the job 24/7, by powering it with batt swaps. Spare battery chargers stay tethered to outlets doing what they do best. 99 stays in hand doing what it does best. Why demean a sophisticated communications device by treating it like a primitive battery charger? Lol.
    04-14-17 06:16 PM
    Which might explain why you need faster cars like Porsches ;-) ha ha just kidding
    Haha... yep!

04-14-17 06:23 PM
    Lol, yes. I can usu this to explain a lot of things I do. This is a good one.

Posted from my  Passport
    04-14-17 07:34 PM
    Yep. Also, spare battery chargers can be left unattended to charge the spare battery in a quiet corner, or in hotel, or room, or car, etc... while 99 stays on the job, safely in hand. Unlike batt-packs, who's going to steal a JM1 & its charger?

My old 9930's usb AND charging contacts haven't worked for months. Haven't missed them a bit. Just too handy (pun intended lol) to keep it securely in hand, on the job 24/7, by powering it with batt swaps. Spare battery chargers stay tethered to outlets doing what they do best. 99 stays in hand doing what it does best. Why demean a sophisticated communications device by treating it like a primitive battery charger? Lol.
    Well if you ever want to test your battery, it should not take too much longer than 2 hours on the usb cable. Then you could compare to mine (but I don't expect to ever get that comparison, and I understand why)

A few times I have been temped to get a battery pack but just cannot bring myself to. I think it is ridiculous and if my device goes dead so be it. The thought of having something dangling from the iphone just so i can go on Facebook, not important

Also I have NEVER seen anyone ever using a battery pack in public and I doubt I ever will.

04-14-17 10:52 PM
    Well if you ever want to test your battery, it should not take too much longer than 2 hours on the usb cable. Then you could compare to mine (but I don't expect to ever get that comparison, and I understand why)

A few times I have been temped to get a battery pack but just cannot bring myself to. I think it is ridiculous and if my device goes dead so be it. The thought of having something dangling from the iphone just so i can go on Facebook, not important

Also I have NEVER seen anyone ever using a battery pack in public and I doubt I ever will.

Oh, I'll find time to repair the "battle damage" 9930 once back to home office. No rush, tho. .

Long ago, back when us old timers lasso'd pterodactyls to ride to school... (uphill both ways. Lol. ), I occasionally charged thru USB. Cables vary! If you suspect slow charging, try a different usb cable. Makes a BIG difference sometimes.

I also find batt packs irritating to use. They are handy to prolong a call without interruption, tho.
    04-15-17 02:47 AM
    If you suspect slow charging, try a different usb cable. Makes a BIG difference sometimes.
    You got that right. I alternate from the iPad's 12watt charging block to iPhone duty when I need a quick 1.5 hour charge, and overnight when there is no rush I use the standard 5W that came with my old 5C.

I also read that some aftermarket charging cable are causing some finger print sensors to not work on iPhones because aftermarket cables can have some "Dirty" electricity.....

Interesting stuff.

See your new 2017 model underwood doesn't have to worry about silly things like dirty electricity, being hacked or being stolen from the front seat of a Porsche
    04-15-17 03:16 AM
    You're installing the beta, correct? beta.whatsapp.com/ota

IIRC, the BBOS version of the app automatically retrieves the SMS code, so you *might* need the SIM in the phone, just to get signed in again.
    Thank You, I'll try to set the beta version(hope I can make it...) I guess the beta will still work even after june 2017 (switch off date)? Is it correct?
    04-15-17 03:47 AM
    Living in harmony......if only the world could learn from this

Attachment 421149
    Oh, man I do love the 9900, and the sweet clickiness... I am now using a BlackBerry Priv: it does have pkb , but the device is huge and I rarely extract the pkb. So droppable...
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    04-15-17 03:54 AM
    You got that right. I alternate from the iPad's 12watt charging block to iPhone duty when I need a quick 1.5 hour charge, and overnight when there is no rush I use the standard 5W that came with my old 5C.

I also read that some aftermarket charging cable are causing some finger print sensors to not work on iPhones because aftermarket cables can have some "Dirty" electricity.....

Interesting stuff.

See your new 2017 model underwood doesn't have to worry about silly things like dirty electricity, being hacked or being stolen from the front seat of a Porsche
    Underwood isn't very single handed friendly, tho....
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    04-15-17 07:25 AM
    Oh, man I do love the 9900, and the sweet clickiness... I am now using a BlackBerry Priv: it does have pkb , but the device is huge and I rarely extract the pkb. So droppable...
    I've only played with a Priv briefly but agree it sure felt top heavy & vulnerable, to me. At least for single handing.

I've long advocated for a more "Blackberry attitude" slider that would stow the KB in FRONT of the lower part of the display. That config would preserve keyboard accessibility for shortcuts and shorten length & COG while typing. Who needs full display size while typing?
    ollyberry likes this.
    04-15-17 07:38 AM
    Thank You, I'll try to set the beta version(hope I can make it...) I guess the beta will still work even after june 2017 (switch off date)? Is it correct?
    I don't think there's any reason to believe that the beta will work after June. But you never know. Whatsapp might shut it down on the 30th or let it work until some future update breaks it.
    04-15-17 08:42 AM
    Lol, yes. I can usu this to explain a lot of things I do. This is a good one.

Posted from my  Passport
    That "excuse" likely carries very little influence on a LEO issuing speeding citation... Lol.
    04-15-17 05:25 PM
    Was looking at tempered glass screen protector's today, got one for the iPhone. But I saw something else that was sort of interesting, at least they're still showing BlackBerries on some of the screen protectors, no idea what this is but I think it's older than a 9900 for sure.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1492310929.274404.jpg
    04-15-17 09:49 PM
    Underwood isn't very single handed friendly, tho....
    One handed operation must never be taken for granted, let me tell you it's something that's very important and not really very possible on a glass slab, not enjoyable trying that's for sure!!
    04-15-17 09:50 PM
    Was looking at tempered glass screen protector's today, got one for the iPhone. But I saw something else that was sort of interesting, at least they're still showing BlackBerries on some of the screen protectors, no idea what this is but I think it's older than a 9900 for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1492310929.274404.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	421333
    That's a Bold 9000

Posted via CB10
    04-15-17 10:30 PM
    That's a Bold 9000

Posted via CB10
    The original King of the Bold series.
    04-16-17 06:25 AM