I've been using my Classic a lot as well as my 9900. For me, the keyboard between the 9900 and the Classic for me is a tie.

I've had a few Q10's and just do not like any Blackberry without a track pad. To me the track pad and tool belt make a BB...a BB. Jmo....

I still think that BB10 is a little more efficient for my. However, I'm still re-learning BB07 so, I'll be sure to report back once I'm more accustomed to it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-05-16 04:31 PM
    The tech reviews still like to quote app numbers despite plenty of evidence that it is not a useful metric

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/22/con...see-heavy-use/
    http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/apps-smartphone-facebook/

There's plenty more data that show that most users, something like 75-80% ditch any particular app after a couple of months. It just goes to to support our assertion that BB has most of the essential apps. Seriously, how long did BB spend at the top, as perhaps the only smartphone vendor. The developers came up with many of the needed apps already.

When I'm running my 9900, I don't feel like I need any more apps than are available. Occasionally I miss not having a good selection of games, but then instead of crushing candy mindlessly, I use the time to THINK, to reflect on what has happened and what to do in the future. A far more productive activity.
    Yup, good points! And I am looking foreward to reading these articles.

As for games I even deleted BrickBreaker, I just don't like to bog down my 9900 with games because I have an ipad and an Xbox360 for that

I wish that when we downloaded apps or games, we could use the micro SD card instead of the internal memory, but I always leave well over 100 mb's no matter what.

06-05-16 04:36 PM
    I've been using my Classic a lot as well as my 9900. For me, the keyboard between the 9900 and the Classic for me is a tie.

I've had a few Q10's and just do not like any Blackberry without a track pad. To me the track pad and tool belt make a BB...a BB. Jmo....

I still think that BB10 is a little more efficient for my. However, I'm still re-learning BB07 so, I'll be sure to report back once I'm more accustomed to it.

Well then, let's experiment. BB10. Fast processor. Arced keyboard. TRACKPAD! I agree on the trackpad. Best thing ever. But where I can touchtype on the 9930, I can't on a Q10 or Classic. Put it all together and I think I'd be happy. I'd like to keep the 9930 size though.
    06-05-16 04:44 PM
    its sure nice using the 9900 keyboard compared to say......a 9780. It is just so much less work. Anyone that thinks the 9900 keyboard is overly stiff or "too much work" hasn't had a 9780 You had to really dig in deep with the 80.

So I had to make a call today but first I rebooted my 9900 because the wifi was acting weird, and I was also trying to upload a Youtube vid immediately after, the wifi was cutting in and out (the net provider's fault, I found out later)) and the phone wouldn't let me hang up and it went to the person's answering machine I didn't want the call to go that far because I know how many rings until their machine picks up. In defence of the 9900 it was overly worked uploading a Vid, it also has to load about 13 convos in Whatsapp and then the call all at the same time.

So just a tip for our older devices, you CAN overwork them. They will still perform, but sometimes extreme multi-tasking can trip it up a little.

06-05-16 04:47 PM
    Wanted to add don't be like me and try to do 2 different memory hog things within the minute that it reboots because not all the apps might be fully loaded yet

06-05-16 04:52 PM
    Now imagine a 9900 with the guts of a BB10 say......a Q10.

Some of us have been begging, pleading, crying, threatening, etc for quite a few years for a truly upgraded 9900 that includes ALL of its precious features!. BB had a superbly profitable winner in the fully featured 9900. They just can't take their eyes off of Apple long enough to repeat that success. Fear of success? Idk.

Toolbeltless Q10 was an insult to our intelligence. Sticking a toolbelt onto a Mack Truck and calling it a "Classic" is equally insulting. News flash to BB: We the users are, in fact, smart enough to KNOW what we want and WHY we want it!! If you, BB, want my money, come up with a GENUINE improvement and my cash is in hand. Till then, I'll continue enjoying the most efficient communications device to ever fit a human hand. 3 guesses?? .

Sorry for the rant. Just an old trigger issue I guess.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-05-16 at 05:23 PM.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-05-16 05:11 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/22/con...see-heavy-use/
    http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/apps-smartphone-facebook/

There's plenty more data that show that most users, something like 75-80% ditch any particular app after a couple of months. It just goes to to support our assertion that BB has most of the essential apps.
    I use only a handful of apps, myself -- and I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., at all. I regularly use a task app, maps, weather, music player, LDS Gospel Library, and of course CrackBerry.

There were some apps on my Passport that I had actually forgotten about until I took a look for this list.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-05-16 05:14 PM
    Some of us have been begging, pleading, crying, threatening, etc for quite a few years for a truly upgraded 9900 that includes ALL of its precious features!. BB had a superbly profitable winner in the fully featured 9900. They just can't take their eyes off of Apple long enough to repeat that success. Fear of success? Idk.

Toolbeltless Q10 was an insult to our intelligence. Sticking a toolbelt onto a Mack Truck and calling it a "Classic" is equally insulting. News flash to BB: We the users are, in fact, smart enough to KNOW what we want and WHY we want it!! If you, BB, want my money, come up with a GENUINE improvement and my cash is in hand. Till then, I'll continue enjoying the most efficient communications device to ever fit a human hand. 3 guesses?? .

Sorry for the rant. Just an old trigger issue I guess.
    +100000

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 05:26 PM
    Steve and Ralph, I fired up my old 9900 and it works just fine. BBOS, the PKB and the tool belt work so well together. The 9900 is a wonderful phone to hold and it is a beauty.

BUT

I need a larger screen, BlackBerry Hub and VKB and the Google Play app store.

Love your thread. The best there is on CB.
    06-05-16 05:53 PM
    Hi all, I've created a new thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-list-1075860/

Add your favourite apps to the list, both the living and the dead, so that people know what works and what doesn't.

06-05-16 06:04 PM
    Steve and Ralph, I fired up my old 9900 and it works just fine. BBOS, the PKB and the tool belt work so well together. The 9900 is a wonderful phone to hold and it is a beauty.

BUT

Glad to hear it! Going to use it? Just get a pair of cheap reading glasses and you're good to go

06-05-16 06:28 PM

BUT

Glad you got a chance to give it re-try. Give the trackpad & shortcuts a chance and you might start wondering why you think you "need" a larger screen. Thanks to fully functional UI, there's no need to ever cover any part of the screen with a finger. Efficient font handling & reflow makes reading on my 99 EASIER than many things on my Classic. I'm really enjoying Kindle!

Sitting here using this old 99, I just can't see the benefit that any larger screen might provide that I, myself, would want to trade the 99's compact comfort for. IMO.

If BB ever makes a true upgrade, Miracast would make a great addition for sight impaired geezers like me. Lol. Of course a linked PlayBook hdmi into wide screen is pretty nice.

I have texts, etc routed to "Messages". "Messages" is set to first press of convenience key. I, personally, find it handier and easier than the excellent Hub. It's easy to see where the idea for Hub started. I don't Facebook so...

It's not a movie screen, but I venture into the world with my 9900 feeling confidently equipped for Critical Communications.

She'll keep tugging... You know you'll either give her a true try or always wish you would have. Lol.
    dierre likes this.
    06-05-16 06:39 PM
    Now that I have Tapatalk up and running on the 9900, it has definitely passed the Classic in the forum department.

The Tapatalk app on the 9900 is way faster and easier to use than the Classic with the Android Tapatalk installed. The Android version on the Classic is very buggy/laggy.

Thanks again for your guys help!

06-05-16 07:21 PM
    Now that I have Tapatalk up and running on the 9900, it has definitely passed the Classic in the forum department.

The Tapatalk app on the 9900 is way faster and easier to use than the Classic with the Android Tapatalk installed. The Android version on the Classic is very buggy/laggy.

See this thread for a good version of Tapatalk for the Classic. It's an old version, so you have to add forums by URL, just like with the OS7 app.
    06-05-16 07:26 PM
    Awesome man!!!! You're the man!

I'll look into it once I get home. I'm out and about and only have the 9900 with me!

06-05-16 07:32 PM
    See this thread for a good version of Tapatalk for the Classic. It's an old version, so you have to add forums by URL, just like with the OS7 app.
    Thanks for the heads up , Shuswap !

Hopefully I can replace the version , on my Z10.
    It just keeps freezing up all the time !
    06-05-16 07:34 PM

So......what exactly all do you do with the Tapatalk? What other forums do you visit with it? Like Android Central, etc?

What else is tapatalk used for?

06-05-16 07:50 PM
    Let's fix my kindle app then. I have it installed. Years ago, it worked following the install, plug into usb then unplug trick. Now it just says wrong password. What am I missing? Help! This is the missing piece for me. I live on kindle 😀
    06-05-16 07:59 PM
    So......what exactly all do you do with the Tapatalk? What other forums do you visit with it? Like Android Central, etc?

It is used solely for forums.
    ( the CB app is built onto Tapatalk )

You need to make sure that the forum will function with it first.

In the past you would simply search for the desired forum and if it was found then it could used through Tapatalk.

Now you need to input the URL of the forum you need ( copy and paste from a browser ) and will find it.

I currently use it with 4 different forums without any issue.
    06-05-16 07:59 PM

Well, as well as mobile device forums I also read a lot of work related forums, car, truck and van forums.

I read forums probably 80-90% of the time, so Tapatalk is pretty important to me.

06-05-16 08:01 PM

I currently use it with 4 different forums without any issue.
    So...just basically tech forums or for any subject? I was only on a couple bulletin board forums in the past and no idea who hosted them, never really cared until now.

06-05-16 08:04 PM
    Well, as well as mobile device forums I also read a lot of work related forums, car, truck and van forums.

I read forums probably 80-90% of the time, so Tapatalk is pretty important to me.

Ah K thnx for the clarification. I never joined many Forums to know about this aspect of it, or how they worked, etc.

06-05-16 08:09 PM
    So...just basically tech forums or for any subject? I was only on a couple bulletin board forums in the past and no idea who hosted them, never really cared until now.

Well if you like the CB app , then for fun try Tapatalk.
    It is pretty much the same , with the option of adding other forums.
    06-05-16 08:09 PM
    Well if you like the CB app , then for fun try Tapatalk.
    It is pretty much the same , with the option of adding other forums.
    Roger that, thnx

06-05-16 08:14 PM
    Yes it does! Brilliant!! I'd been hoping (and failing) to get a functional Kindle app on my 9900 for ages. I had to use a 'one time password' to login, which appeared in my mailbox soon after first trying to login on the app unsuccessfully, otherwise all seems fine and my current book has downloaded and sync'd with kindle on my PlayBook
    Let's fix my kindle app then. I have it installed. Years ago, it worked following the install, plug into usb then unplug trick. Now it just says wrong password. What am I missing? Help! This is the missing piece for me. I live on kindle 
    Well, it seems that Amazon sent mushroom_daddy and idssteve a passcode via email. So maybe the trick would be to go into your Amazon account through a web browser, find the devices connected to kindle, and remove the Bold 99xx from the list. Then -- if the theory is correct -- when you try to log in, Amazon should see it as a new device, and send the one time password like it did for them.
    06-05-16 08:15 PM
8,754 ... 2930313233 ...