My money is tight and I can't switch my phone plan. I need something I can buy perhaps off contract. But no stores actually sell phones for the no contract price. So I would be relying on kijiji or Craigs list. I'm currently using the 9300 but it's just not providing me with all the features I need.

What should I do? :/

If you need more details just ask...
    03-27-13 09:45 PM
    If money is tight and you don't want to extend contract (or something along those lines) pick up the 9900 of kijiji or CL. You won't be disappointed. I owned a 9900 and now a Z10. The 9900 is an amazing device, best legacy BB OS device i've had (quite the workhorse). It is very durable (fell soo many times and survived). The keyboard is the best physical keyboard you will ever type on!
    Used 9900 will run you around $150 - 200 depending on the condition. I came across one on sale here on CB for $225 i believe.

IF you can hold out and are able to upgrade to a new device you can wait for the Q10 (might be similar pricing to the Z10 on contract + early upgrade fees if applicable) as if should be coming out in a few weeks!
    03-27-13 09:51 PM
    If money is tight and you don't want to extend contract (or something along those lines) pick up the 9900 of kijiji or CL. You won't be disappointed. I owned a 9900 and now a Z10. The 9900 is an amazing device, best legacy BB OS device i've had (quite the workhorse). It is very durable (fell soo many times and survived). The keyboard is the best physical keyboard you will ever type on!
    Used 9900 will run you around $150 - 200 depending on the condition. I came across one on sale here on CB for $225 i believe.

IF you can hold out and are able to upgrade to a new device you can wait for the Q10 (might be similar pricing to the Z10 on contract + early upgrade fees if applicable) as if should be coming out in a few weeks!
    Thanks for your opinion. And I would love to wait for the Q10but in order for me to get the phone with my contract I would have to buy out a price of at least 440$. Then go on to a new data plan. But the current ones Telus is offering are not as good as my current plan. I love my 9300 but it's just no offering the Internet Speed and gps that I need. Also how would you rate the 9900 battery life?
    03-27-13 10:03 PM
    Thanks for your opinion. And I would love to wait for the Q10but in order for me to get the phone with my contract I would have to buy out a price of at least 440$. Then go on to a new data plan. But the current ones Telus is offering are not as good as my current plan. I love my 9300 but it's just no offering the Internet Speed and gps that I need. Also how would you rate the 9900 battery life?
    Q10 would be worth it... every single penny
    but why not go for Z10 which is out already?

Battery - if what we see from the DevAlphaC devices can be used as guideline for the Q10, the battery blasts 9900 far away... 9900 with normal use rarely last a working day, even less with 4G enabled.

Most new apps coming will also be BB10 apps, which 9900 cannot use.

If you plan for the next 1 or 2 years, pick a Z10 or a Q10

I type quicker on my Z10 than I did on my 9900
    03-27-13 10:25 PM
    If it's $440 + Q10 price that's alot. Even at $440! What you can try to have an idea of what the Q could potentially cost you is to call Telus and find out what it would cost you to upgrade to the current Z10 and see if you can get the early upgrade fees waived or cut in half! Then you will be better informed as to what pricing to expect as the Q should be similar cost as the Z10.

I loved my 9900. If you're coming from 9300 that's a great upgrade and you will be happy! OS7 is very stable now (and if you can pick up a PB or already own one you're all set!). I upgraded from 9000 > 9900 and was very pleased. The browser is sooo much better and usable compared to the older BBOS devices. GPS is great, used it all the time. If you are a heavy user though, you may need an extra battery but they too are getting cheaper and cheaper now. I personally got an entire day out of my 9900 and i couldn't be happier.

One other question, why would you need to change your plan?
    03-27-13 10:33 PM
    Q10 would be worth it... every single penny
    but why not go for Z10 which is out already?

Battery - if what we see from the DevAlphaC devices can be used as guideline for the Q10, the battery blasts 9900 far away... 9900 with normal use rarely last a working day, even less with 4G enabled.

Most new apps coming will also be BB10 apps, which 9900 cannot use.

If you plan for the next 1 or 2 years, pick a Z10 or a Q10

I type quicker on my Z10 than I did on my 9900
    Well I am not one for touch screens and I can't type on them nor do I want to. :/ I know it would be worth the money but because of circumstances and my contract being only a year in it will be ridiculously expensive to drop my current contract then start anew
    03-28-13 07:18 AM
    If it's $440 + Q10 price that's alot. Even at $440! What you can try to have an idea of what the Q could potentially cost you is to call Telus and find out what it would cost you to upgrade to the current Z10 and see if you can get the early upgrade fees waived or cut in half! Then you will be better informed as to what pricing to expect as the Q should be similar cost as the Z10.

I loved my 9900. If you're coming from 9300 that's a great upgrade and you will be happy! OS7 is very stable now (and if you can pick up a PB or already own one you're all set!). I upgraded from 9000 > 9900 and was very pleased. The browser is sooo much better and usable compared to the older BBOS devices. GPS is great, used it all the time. If you are a heavy user though, you may need an extra battery but they too are getting cheaper and cheaper now. I personally got an entire day out of my 9900 and i couldn't be happier.

One other question, why would you need to change your plan?
    I am a moderate user, I rely on blackberry for their amazing keyboards I just refuse to turn to an all touch device. I already have an idea that the Q10 is going to cost about the same as the Z10. But because my contract is only a year in Telus won't be able to wave any fees they will make me buy out my current plan in order to get a new device . I will end up paying more then if I tried to find a Q10 on kijiji. But then who's to say the Q10 wouldn't be super expensive there too. But to put it short I can't just simply cancel my contract without being bombarded with fees. So that's why I'm looking for something I can buy online. To just equip to my current plan.
    03-28-13 07:25 AM
    I am a moderate user, I rely on blackberry for their amazing keyboards I just refuse to turn to an all touch device. I already have an idea that the Q10 is going to cost about the same as the Z10. But because my contract is only a year in Telus won't be able to wave any fees they will make me buy out my current plan in order to get a new device . I will end up paying more then if I tried to find a Q10 on kijiji. But then who's to say the Q10 wouldn't be super expensive there too. But to put it short I can't just simply cancel my contract without being bombarded with fees. So that's why I'm looking for something I can buy online. To just equip to my current plan.
    Go for a used 9900 but try and get your hands on the phone before you part with the cash to make sure all is well with it.

Amazing keyboard and a huge step up from your current device.

The latest OS's are really stable and with your useage you ought to get through a day with battery to spare.

Let BB10 mature before you jump on board.
    03-28-13 07:29 AM
    I hear ya. Then you pretty much got your answer! Get the 9900! I can assure you that you will love it.The build quality is amazing (fell on the tarmac soo many times) and no issues with the touchscreen after any fall. It even got wet a few times (washing the car) etc and that didn't do anything to it. I wish my Z10 would have that build quality/resistance!!

The keyboard is exceptional, you will enjoy typing on it. The touchscreen is very responsive and fluid - i used the touchscreen more than i thought (didn't require the trackpad anymore). The camera is decent, takes some good shots (despite the lack of autofocus) as they look good on the computer. The browser is very usable, i used it alot! once on H+ it is super fast. I normally would do all my preflight (weather conditions etc) on the device before any flight. Worked like a charm (displayed all the info i needed just as it would on the PC).
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    03-28-13 07:36 AM
    Go for a used 9900 but try and get your hands on the phone before you part with the cash to make sure all is well with it.

Amazing keyboard and a huge step up from your current device.

The latest OS's are really stable and with your useage you ought to get through a day with battery to spare.

Let BB10 mature before you jump on board.
    Yea by the time my contract is done there will probably even be a new lline of bb10s out. I will definitely go for a used one. But I am just wondering. Will I be able to update it to 7.1 or should I leave it on os 7
    03-28-13 07:38 AM
    Yea by the time my contract is done there will probably even be a new lline of bb10s out. I will definitely go for a used one. But I am just wondering. Will I be able to update it to 7.1 or should I leave it on os 7
    whatever the latest OS is you can pick it up 7.1.xx would be ideal! Most likely would already be on the device, if not there are many threads on how to load the new version (from any carrier) and the update links!
    03-28-13 07:41 AM
    I hear ya. Then you pretty much got your answer! Get the 9900! I can assure you that you will love it.The build quality is amazing (fell on the tarmac soo many times) and no issues with the touchscreen after any fall. It even got wet a few times (washing the car) etc and that didn't do anything to it. I wish my Z10 would have that build quality/resistance!!

The keyboard is exceptional, you will enjoy typing on it. The touchscreen is very responsive and fluid - i used the touchscreen more than i thought (didn't require the trackpad anymore). The camera is decent, takes some good shots (despite the lack of autofocus) as they look good on the computer. The browser is very usable, i used it alot! once on H+ it is super fast. I normally would do all my preflight (weather conditions etc) on the device before any flight. Worked like a charm (displayed all the info i needed just as it would on the PC).
    Thank you for your opinion it really helps. Budget wise I feel that going with a 9900 is a right move to make and the phone being a durable beast makes me feel better too I would be so nervous with a Q10 haha.
    03-28-13 07:42 AM
    whatever the latest OS is you can pick it up 7.1.xx would be ideal!
    Ok!
    03-28-13 07:43 AM
    Update to the latest OS is a must.

It's night and day between the latest 7.1 and the early releases let alone the 7.0 OS's, they are museum pieces of tech compared to what we have now with .861. I must also give a shout to the BL Hybrid OS's which IMO are absolutely top notch in terms of power management and browser speed.

Also have a look at Advance OS and LED. It is an amazing app with a small footprint that does so much more than allow you to customise your LED.

Anything more you need to know, just ask. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who will be glad to help you out with your 9900.

Good luck with finding good one, you will definately not be disappointed.
    Cap_172R likes this.
    03-28-13 07:45 AM
    Just one more thing before you go shopping:

There are 2 different versions of the 9900. One with 3G bands 1, 4 & 8 and the other with 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6.

Make sure that you get the correct one for your carrier.
    03-28-13 08:11 AM
    Just one more thing before you go shopping:

There are 2 different versions of the 9900. One with 3G bands 1, 4 & 8 and the other with 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6.

Make sure that you get the correct one for your carrier.
    Oh really I didn't know there were different kinds like that... Hmm I am with Telus. So how would I be able to figure out which applies to me? Thank you for being so helpful
    03-28-13 08:19 AM
    Oh really I didn't know there were different kinds like that... Hmm I am with Telus. So how would I be able to figure out which applies to me? Thank you for being so helpful
    All part of the service !!!

On the 9900, type About Device Versions in Universal Search and this will tell you which bands the phone has.

As far as Telus is concerned, I'm in the UK so don't know what bands the North American carriers use, so maybe a quich call to your carriers Tech Support will give you the info you need.
    03-28-13 08:30 AM
    All part of the service !!!

On the 9900, type About Device Versions in Universal Search and this will tell you which bands the phone has.

As far as Telus is concerned, I'm in the UK so don't know what bands the North American carriers use, so maybe a quich call to your carriers Tech Support will give you the info you need.
    Thank you!
    03-28-13 08:34 AM
    If you're on Telus, a unit from Bell or Rogers(fido) would work!

I think the different version is for carriers using AWS (like wind, Tmobile). Other than those that use AWS, it should work!
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    03-28-13 08:39 AM
    If you're on Telus, a unit from Bell or Rogers(fido) would work!

I think the different version is for carriers using AWS (like wind, Tmobile). Other than those that use AWS, it should work!
    Ya that makes sense I have been looking for telus phones to start out so I don't need to jail break it
    03-28-13 09:13 AM
    Ya that makes sense I have been looking for telus phones to start out so I don't need to jail break it
    We call it Unlocking for a BB.

CB offers an unlocking service if you need it

CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10
    03-28-13 09:16 AM