I purchased a BB 9900 about a month ago and love everything about it with the exception of the fact that a charge does not last a full work day... Has anyone else experencied this problem and if so are there any practical fixes or not worthy suggestions to keep a charge as long as possible? Thanks! BW
    02-16-12 04:42 PM
    Mine gets me through the day with heavy BBM-ing, GoogleTalking, Txting, FB, Twitter-ing and browsing. But my day from the charging deck is about 12-14 hours.

Try to lower your screen brightness, change unneeded vibrations and notifications, close unnecessary apps that run in the background. This article is quite useful.

Extending BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 battery life �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    02-16-12 04:49 PM
    the link isnt the best imho

but for example 2g often needs less battery. i got idle 3 % instaed of 5% on 7.0.0.296, sadly after i upgraded it gone bad up to 7%-8% and it does not matter which network i am using
    02-16-12 05:08 PM
    Mine chugs along all day and then some, but that is not to say it doesn't have its issues. Using the lock button with a bluetooth running causes a reboot now. Precious. Maybe quality control is just rubbish with the whole business model being so close to unraveling.
    Last edited by palomartian; 02-16-12 at 05:38 PM. Reason: public school grammar
    02-16-12 05:26 PM
    LOL great title

Lowering the screen brightness and a lot of the tips do help.
    02-16-12 05:28 PM
    Great title, but my 9900 gets through a day and a half, almost two.

Are you on the 7.1.0.205 OS? It's a big improvement over the factory OS in terms of battery. I suppose there is a more up to date leak out now, but I'm on .205, and it's great.
    02-16-12 05:33 PM
    Mine will barely make it through the day on 1 charge during a heavy day. If your not near a charger then the crackberry store has the JM1 battery charger/battery and Y cable charger. its the best option for this phone IMO

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-16-12 05:40 PM
    I recently went into the applications section under options on my 9930 and looked at all the apps I had running in the background even when I thought they weren't running. Long story short, I deleted several I thought I could do without. Weather, twitter, and a few games that make no sense that they would be running after I shut them down. I had a hangman game that was still using CPU power when I thought it was off!WTH?! After clearing those out, I increased my time between charges be about 3-4 hrs
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-16-12 at 11:25 PM.
    02-16-12 06:04 PM
    I would like to see a poll of battery temperature and discharge rate vs cpu usage to see if some handsets tax their battery more. Probably want to control for some stuff but it would still be interesting.
    02-16-12 07:53 PM
    I love everything in 9900, yet as per the title really it's annoying, today shall get the new 7.1 update and see hw things will go on
    02-17-12 06:55 AM
    "Power vampire?" Wow, that really sucks ;-)
    02-17-12 01:16 PM
    Power Vampire? Nice!

Have you played around with the settings? I can make my 9930 last 24+ hours easily. On really heavy days I can stomp my battery down after about 9 hours or so... but that includes heavy browsing. Hotspot is a good culprit of battery drain.

It's all in the usage. Turn your social app feeds to never refresh because they refresh automatically when you open. Turn screen brightness to 10%. These are good starters along with making sure you close apps when done using them.
    Last edited by dustanh; 02-17-12 at 05:32 PM.
    02-17-12 01:23 PM
    Install the latest 7.1.267 leak. It's much better. I use to be so annoyed with the 9900 battery (7.0.585). I don't usually install leaks but I got so fed up with the crappy battery life!

I'm much happier with the battery life now.
    02-17-12 03:25 PM
    I'm convinced there is far more variability within than between OS builds as regards battery life. For every os build you will find users with stellar and hideous performance. The rate of decay on a BB OS load makes Windows 2000 look stable, so any reload is probably going to look dramatic at some level. Just sayin...
    02-17-12 03:32 PM
    I'm convinced there is far more variability within than between OS builds as regards battery life. For every os build you will find users with stellar and hideous performance. The rate of decay on a BB OS load makes Windows 2000 look stable, so any reload is probably going to look dramatic at some level. Just sayin...
    I don't know.. But I went from stock 7.0.261 to .585 and noticed huge downgrade in battery life right away, and now on the .267 and noticed huge improvements. Maybe you're right and 585 just happened to be one bad OS and the others are all the same. Just saying..
    02-17-12 03:37 PM
    Power Vampire? Nice!

Have you played around with the settings? I can make my 9930 last 24+ hours easily. On really heavy days I can stomp my battery down after about 9 hours or so... but that includes heavy browsing. Hotspot is a good culprit of battery drain.

It's all in the usage. Turns your social app feeds to never refresh because they refresh automatically when you open. Turn screen brightness to 10%. These are good starters along with making sure you close apps when done using them.
    I agree with this post. I went thru my 9900 and deleted all the apps that I dont use. That helped. Then I checked the settings on apps I use often. I caught ScoreMobile refreshing in the background every 20minutes, changed that to "NEVER", I will refresh manually when I am ready to see the latest scores. Check the settings on whichever weather app you use. I have my weather app update every 2 hours instead of every 30 minutes.

Make sure you close all apps when you are done using them especially anything that uses gps like Google Maps. I take off wifi/bluetooth when not using them as those needlessly suck battery life.

I noticed I get hours more in battery life after doing these things.

All over the 'net people are complaining about the battery life of their smartphones so its not just us. It sucks to wonder & stress if you are going to have enough juice everytime you step out the house!

No matter what I am going to get an extra battery just for the peace of mind. They are small enough to fit in a wallet. :-)
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-17-12 04:54 PM
    I got the 7.1 update and seems my battery is much better than it used to be !

so just get the wooden stick.. or get the update
    02-18-12 12:47 AM
    I don't know.. But I went from stock 7.0.261 to .585 and noticed huge downgrade in battery life right away, and now on the .267 and noticed huge improvements. Maybe you're right and 585 just happened to be one bad OS and the others are all the same. Just saying..
    I'm on 576. It was perfect. Right up until it started to s*ck. Now it reboots randomly like there is a memory leak. Makes me nostalgic for my 9000.
    02-18-12 01:30 AM
    On the os that came with my 9900 it was going from 6:00 am day 1 to 8 am day 2 before I would charge (although not dead) if I forgot to charge at night. No Problem, then I updated to the latest os from att and it got rough. On a real heavy day I would hook it to the charger 2-3 pm from pulling it of a 6 am. On normal days 8-9 pm it would be pretty low so I would charge it. On 7.1.205 after the 3rd day I'm going from 6am-12:30 am the next day with 35% left , using it how I want. I haven't forgot to charge it yet so I don't know how long it will go. On Device analizer its showing low 3% discharge rate and on the graph its swinging way out compared to the os7.0 plumment was seeing. That last official os was simply a problem they shouldn't have released . Although I did see improvements with signal and smoothness compared to the original
    02-18-12 07:25 AM
    The battery life on my 9900 is the worst I have ever experienced. Long story short, I have tried all the tricks(brightness, etc), and did a backup/wipe/restore. I have to test this out to see if this will improve my rapid drain, although i suspect it will not due to the fact it drained from 85% to 7% within 6 hours overnight while idle.
    What is most troubling/annoying is the fact that I lost so many contacts/personal info during restore.
    I'm open/looking for ideas and suggestions

Thanks in advance
    02-18-12 08:54 AM
    The battery life on my 9900 is the worst I have ever experienced. Long story short, I have tried all the tricks(brightness, etc), and did a backup/wipe/restore. I have to test this out to see if this will improve my rapid drain, although i suspect it will not due to the fact it drained from 85% to 7% within 6 hours overnight while idle.
    What is most troubling/annoying is the fact that I lost so many contacts/personal info during restore.
    I'm open/looking for ideas and suggestions

Thanks in advance
    What OS are you currently running ?
    02-18-12 08:57 AM
    Sorry-I forgot to mention my OS
    7.0 Bundle 2392 V7.0.0.576

Even my bbm pics for others have disappeared. Wipe has lost a tremendous amount of my info
    02-18-12 09:12 AM
    Sorry-I forgot to mention my OS
    7.0 Bundle 2392 V7.0.0.576

Even my bbm pics for others have disappeared. Wipe has lost a tremendous amount of my info
    I would try an upgrade to either of the 2 recent leaked 7.1 OS's.

Both include a device analyser function built into the OS that includes a battery monitor which may well give you some pointers as to what is causing your huge battery drain (assuming that the upgrade in OS does not solve the problem for you anyway)

.205 is a good stable OS. .267 is very recent but includes a new feature which is a battery saver.

Have a read of the threads in the Leaked forum for these OS's and go for one or the other. Should be a big step forward from your current OS.
    02-18-12 09:25 AM
    Legal,

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate the recommendations. I am definitely going to try an upgrade.
    I forget to mention-on BES-so upgrade will have to wait till Tuesday-after updating pb's of course!
    I had device analyzer yesterday, which clearly demonstrated the rapid battery loss. This whole wipe/restore has been tortuous.
    Lots of pertinent, private info has been lost. Very annoyed
    02-18-12 09:34 AM
    On the os that came with my 9900 it was going from 6:00 am day 1 to 8 am day 2 before I would charge (although not dead) if I forgot to charge at night. No Problem, then I updated to the latest os from att and it got rough. On a real heavy day I would hook it to the charger 2-3 pm from pulling it of a 6 am. On normal days 8-9 pm it would be pretty low so I would charge it. On 7.1.205 after the 3rd day I'm going from 6am-12:30 am the next day with 35% left , using it how I want. I haven't forgot to charge it yet so I don't know how long it will go. On Device analizer its showing low 3% discharge rate and on the graph its swinging way out compared to the os7.0 plumment was seeing. That last official os was simply a problem they shouldn't have released . Although I did see improvements with signal and smoothness compared to the original
    It's not any particular OS. It's Blackberry. BBOS is a fragile, quirky thing. Very easy for it to get corrupted. My battery life did not change when I did the latest OS from ATT. It was and is like yours, 30-40% at the end of the day.
    02-18-12 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD