With such a new phone as the 9780, I would buy the PB and ride the handset out until the QNX handsets come out. The step up from that to the 9900 is nice but not a big leap.
    09-02-11 08:35 PM
    I would get the 9900. I love my playbook and like most people here I haven't had any problems with the battery. Same goes for the 9930 I bought yesterday. The battery lasted about 12 hours with moderate use and bad signal before it turned orange. My tour would go about 8 hours when I was at work. For me the PlayBook was a want and the 9930 was a need. The PB goes with me everywhere and I get a lot of use out of it, but my phone is always the first thing I reach for. I'm jumping from os 5 to 7, so I see a huge difference, but to give an example of the power of the 9930, the browser is faster and smoother than that of my Nexus S 4G. It also has a much clearer display and twice the battery life of the Nexus S.
    09-02-11 10:26 PM
    I would recommend PlayBook. No idea what is that battery life problem on PB. On bridge using the PB all day long, and in the evening kiddo plays NFS for an hour or so before time for bed (to plug the PB) - at this point at least 30% power left.

My rationale PB vs. 9x00 is that with the PB, having 9780, you can increase significantly functionality and productivity, while replacing 9780 with 9x00 the "upgrade" will be comparatively marginal.
    09-03-11 12:24 AM
    Snag the phone and snipe a PB during the Staples half-off sale. Phone should take precidence, thought.
    09-03-11 02:08 AM
    I have both but If I had to choose now I'd definately go for the 9900 over the PB. Maybe when the OS 2.0 update hits I'd think about the PB over the 9900 but right now I think the phone is best way to go. On reflection, I prefer my email and BBM on the 9900 due to the keyboard with the PB having superior internet/web ability.
    yeah true, the only reason i have been holding back on buying the 9900, is because im expecting big changes once OS 2.0 releases for the PB
    09-03-11 02:37 AM
    What are you going to be doing with the PlayBook?I'll be honest in saying my PlayBook is a glorified toy that keeps me busy when I'm bored or need the internet or watch videos in a larger format. I can probably get 3 days if I'm easy on intensive use like videos. Otherwise, it doesn't seem as bad as others have made their battery life to be.

Chances are, you will use the 9900 more than the PlayBook (with phone calls mainly, and there's a keyboard if you're a keyboard fan).

You should still be fine with a 9780, unless you have some major hardware issues and/or you just want to have the next latest and greatest. OS7 seems to work better with my PlayBook, but it also worked fine with OS6.

I'd personally hold off on both and see if:
    - better pricing (if possible) comes out on the 9900; and
    - better pricing on the PlayBook comes out, especially on the current model if RIM decides to introduce newer versions and cut the price on older ones.
    agreed, i was thinking of the playbook to be a sort of ultimate accessory to my 9780. My only reason of buying the 9900 is because im a huge BB fanboy and im in love with the 9900's key board!

I'd also say that my 9900 is a tool, whereas my playbook is something of a toy.
    With moderate use I get about 15 hours on my Bold, and maybe 9-10 on my playbook (it does drain within 3-4 days when in standby, and a bit slower when powered off).

Hardware + QNX is a bit beefier on the playbook but overall (especially without 2.0 and android apps) the core of a blackberry is email, standalone a blackberry is the most useful. If you are abusing your current handset the hardware (keyboard/processor) are hands-down worth the cost on the device you'd actually pocket daily.

If your current berry is holding up, and you need a big screen for your web browsing and reading long emails via bridge then the size of the playbook along with the solid RIM programs make it run like a champ. I'm expecting to see more development to my playbook, but I'd also note that Staples/Best Buy sale mentions are looking good for value of the tablets to prospect crackberriers!

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, the only reason i wanted the PB was of web browsing (since i dont have wifi at home, so id bridge.) but then again im more of a handset user.

With such a new phone as the 9780, I would buy the PB and ride the handset out until the QNX handsets come out. The step up from that to the 9900 is nice but not a big leap.
    Im so scared that BlackBerry would slowly rule out QWERTY keypads in light of QNX colt which is full touch . My original plan was to buy the PB and then buy the QNX smartphones once it releases(one which would hopefully have a full QWERTY).

I would get the 9900. I love my playbook and like most people here I haven't had any problems with the battery. Same goes for the 9930 I bought yesterday. The battery lasted about 12 hours with moderate use and bad signal before it turned orange. My tour would go about 8 hours when I was at work. For me the PlayBook was a want and the 9930 was a need. The PB goes with me everywhere and I get a lot of use out of it, but my phone is always the first thing I reach for. I'm jumping from os 5 to 7, so I see a huge difference, but to give an example of the power of the 9930, the browser is faster and smoother than that of my Nexus S 4G. It also has a much clearer display and twice the battery life of the Nexus S.
    Yeah the 9900 is an amazing device. but its just the battery scare which i guess i should ignore. even though it might not beat my 9780 in terms of battery life, i just need the speed, and the keypad (oh that beautiful keypad.) Ive noticed people saying the battery life of the 9900 has improved over OS updates, so im hoping this continues.
    09-03-11 02:46 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD