Hey,
    I've got just enough money to either get the 9900, or the PlayBook. I was wondering which would be the better option for me to purchace. I already own a 9780, and I'm just a tad bit worried about the 9900's battery life issues. I wanted to know the opinion of people who own both, to know how I'd make a good buy and get my moneys worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 02:50 AM
    Had a playbook for 3 weeks and decided to return it 4 days ago. I guess its because of the hassle of needing to bridge a playbook to make decent use of it. But seeing as how I got a laptop and deskTop, a tablet to be honest is utterly pointless to me, especially since I have the 9930 to boot.

The battery does drain faster when using your phone compared to a 9700 (sorry never used a 9780). But for what a tablet is supposed to do, it's battery isn't much to write home about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-02-11 03:26 AM
    you worry bout the 9900 battery but not the playbook's ?? read in other thread how bad playbook's battery is...
    09-02-11 03:37 AM
    I have both and am loving both, and if you can only have one you should get the PB if you can bridge it to another BB, or a 9900 if you don't have that option. I hope that helps...
    09-02-11 03:39 AM
    Had a playbook for 3 weeks and decided to return it 4 days ago. I guess its because of the hassle of needing to bridge a playbook to make decent use of it. But seeing as how I got a laptop and deskTop, a tablet to be honest is utterly pointless to me, especially since I have the 9930 to boot.

The battery does drain faster when using your phone compared to a 9700 (sorry never used a 9780). But for what a tablet is supposed to do, it's battery isn't much to write home about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Yeah the 9900 would be a better choice since I'm keeping portabillity in mind. Thanks for your opinion.

09-02-11 03:50 AM
    you worry bout the 9900 battery but not the playbook's ?? read in other thread how bad playbook's battery is...
    Yeah I know its not any better, but since I have no wifi at home I thought it would be a better choice instead of carrying my laptop around. And since I have a 9780 I could bridge it and view pages with flash support as well.

09-02-11 03:52 AM
    I have both and am loving both, and if you can only have one you should get the PB if you can bridge it to another BB, or a 9900 if you don't have that option. I hope that helps...
    I have a 9780, and since OS7 isn't a major upgrade from OS6, I thought going for QNX would be the better choice. But ive been eyeing the 9900 for a while now, and I've seen threads saying with the new OS builds battery life has improved. Thanks for your opinion, I guess once I'm at the store I'd have to do eenie meenie miney moe.

09-02-11 04:02 AM
    what battery problems with the playbook are you guys referring to??! ive had the playbook since day one and the batttery has always been spectacular. i can watch three full movies on brightest screen with the speakers on full blast. under moderate useage, i can use it for an entire weekend without charging it.
    09-02-11 04:59 AM
    what battery problems with the playbook are you guys referring to??! ive had the playbook since day one and the batttery has always been spectacular. i can watch three full movies on brightest screen with the speakers on full blast. under moderate useage, i can use it for an entire weekend without charging it.
    I second this - my PlayBook goes forever...
    09-02-11 05:19 AM
    I have a friend who has the playbook, and he's been telling me about the drop in battery life. I'm guessing this is so because he's a real heavy user and uses bridge a lot.

09-02-11 05:55 AM
    No issues at all with the PlayBook battery.
    09-02-11 05:55 AM
    I can get almost 2 days out of a charge on my PB with extensive use - emails, bbm, web surfing, etc. I dont see how that is bad.
    09-02-11 06:58 AM
    I have the 9930 and the PB, and I have had ZERO issues with the battery on both devices. It's the perfect phone + tablet combination IMO.
    09-02-11 07:10 AM
    I can't speak for people in that thread but I'm bridged all day long and from around 6:30 to 2 I'm getting email, surfing etc. for probably 30 to 40 minutes an hour and when I'm done I still have around 20 to 30% battery left. Granted I'm not watching movies or video or streaming stuff but I think it's pretty good.

On the other hand I have to plug my phone in after about 4 or 5 hours because it's starting to get real low.
    09-02-11 07:48 AM
    Lets put it this way, the battery life is one of the smallest issues I have to date with the PB . . .
    09-02-11 07:50 AM
    No issues with the PB battery while I'm using it. Problem is that I can leave my iPad on standby for a month and it'll still have a 90% charge. I leave my PB for 2 days and its out!
    09-02-11 09:04 AM
    battery life on playbook is top notch. i literally charge the thing 1-2 twice a week. this thing lasts forever....9900/9930+playbook=RIM's best
    09-02-11 09:09 AM
    Guess I've never left mine sit that long to notice that.
    09-02-11 09:09 AM
    Have had the PB since 27th April and NEVER had battery issues. Did every update as they came along and battery has never lasted less than 2 days.

Don't believe the hype from doom-sayers, or hearsay from those who've never owned the device.

On the other hand I've just got my 9900 and my PB is seeing precious little play since I got it
    09-02-11 09:46 AM
    I have both but If I had to choose now I'd definately go for the 9900 over the PB. Maybe when the OS 2.0 update hits I'd think about the PB over the 9900 but right now I think the phone is best way to go. On reflection, I prefer my email and BBM on the 9900 due to the keyboard with the PB having superior internet/web ability.
    09-02-11 10:44 AM
    get the 9900, then save up and get the PB. That's what I'm doing.
    09-02-11 11:35 AM
    Hey,
    I've got just enough money to either get the 9900, or the PlayBook. I was wondering which would be the better option for me to purchace. I already own a 9780, and I'm just a tad bit worried about the 9900's battery life issues. I wanted to know the opinion of people who own both, to know how I'd make a good buy and get my moneys worth.

What are you going to be doing with the PlayBook?I'll be honest in saying my PlayBook is a glorified toy that keeps me busy when I'm bored or need the internet or watch videos in a larger format. I can probably get 3 days if I'm easy on intensive use like videos. Otherwise, it doesn't seem as bad as others have made their battery life to be.

Chances are, you will use the 9900 more than the PlayBook (with phone calls mainly, and there's a keyboard if you're a keyboard fan).

You should still be fine with a 9780, unless you have some major hardware issues and/or you just want to have the next latest and greatest. OS7 seems to work better with my PlayBook, but it also worked fine with OS6.

I'd personally hold off on both and see if:
    - better pricing (if possible) comes out on the 9900; and
    - better pricing on the PlayBook comes out, especially on the current model if RIM decides to introduce newer versions and cut the price on older ones.
    09-02-11 06:32 PM
    I'd also say that my 9900 is a tool, whereas my playbook is something of a toy.
    With moderate use I get about 15 hours on my Bold, and maybe 9-10 on my playbook (it does drain within 3-4 days when in standby, and a bit slower when powered off).

Hardware + QNX is a bit beefier on the playbook but overall (especially without 2.0 and android apps) the core of a blackberry is email, standalone a blackberry is the most useful. If you are abusing your current handset the hardware (keyboard/processor) are hands-down worth the cost on the device you'd actually pocket daily.

If your current berry is holding up, and you need a big screen for your web browsing and reading long emails via bridge then the size of the playbook along with the solid RIM programs make it run like a champ. I'm expecting to see more development to my playbook, but I'd also note that Staples/Best Buy sale mentions are looking good for value of the tablets to prospect crackberriers!

Hope this helps!
    09-02-11 07:00 PM
    Battery issue on either of these devices is purly a Myth! Some dumbass comments on his poor battery life and the whole tribe jumps on it. The 9930 has the BEST battery life of any Blackberry I've ever had! If you can only buy one device at this time, get the Playbook. Together with a BB Phone, it's a dynamic duo!
    09-02-11 07:25 PM
    Battery issue on either of these devices is purly a Myth! Some dumbass comments on his poor battery life and the whole tribe jumps on it. The 9930 has the BEST battery life of any Blackberry I've ever had! If you can only buy one device at this time, get the Playbook. Together with a BB Phone, it's a dynamic duo!
    I wouldn't go quite that far... You could use stuff like the 8900 on edge and get better battery life.
    09-02-11 07:29 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD