First of all, the other phone, what kind of a phone is it? And also, some phones do have better reception than others, and many other factors play a role when it comes to signal. When a phone switches carrier it only means that the signal it is supposed to attach itself to, isn't strong enough, therefore, it tries to attack itself to another signal.

Also, I give you an example. I have a 9700, and I have a "back up" dumb phone also, a Nokia 6610. Well, the other day, while waiting for the new batteries to come in the mail (had a situation where I had to give my brother my battery since his was not working) I had to use the Nokia for a couple of days. Went to a friends house, where with my 9700 I have the same issue you have. Its an area where T-Mobile (my network provider) doesn't pick up a lot of signal, but AT&T does. My 9700 in this area has barely 2 bars every time I go to his house, and it has been about almost two years now, and what happens is that it latches onto the AT&T network many times. Well guess what, the Nokia, same house, same area... FULL BARS! I was stunned and can't explain why really...

So you see, just because one phone works one way, it doesn't mean another one has to, and also, just because your 9900 does this, it doesn't mean ALL 9900 do, nor that it has anything to do with battery pulls, etc.
    10-21-11 06:01 AM
    First of all, the other phone, what kind of a phone is it? And also, some phones do have better reception than others, and many other factors play a role when it comes to signal. When a phone switches carrier it only means that the signal it is supposed to attach itself to, isn't strong enough, therefore, it tries to attack itself to another signal.

Also, I give you an example. I have a 9700, and I have a "back up" dumb phone also, a Nokia 6610. Well, the other day, while waiting for the new batteries to come in the mail (had a situation where I had to give my brother my battery since his was not working) I had to use the Nokia for a couple of days. Went to a friends house, where with my 9700 I have the same issue you have. Its an area where T-Mobile (my network provider) doesn't pick up a lot of signal, but AT&T does. My 9700 in this area has barely 2 bars every time I go to his house, and it has been about almost two years now, and what happens is that it latches onto the AT&T network many times. Well guess what, the Nokia, same house, same area... FULL BARS! I was stunned and can't explain why really...

So you see, just because one phone works one way, it doesn't mean another one has to, and also, just because your 9900 does this, it doesn't mean ALL 9900 do, nor that it has anything to do with battery pulls, etc.
    To be honest we are actually agreeing here. The problem is the phone. I'm certainly not saying that it's anything to do with battery pulls.

I've switched to 2g today and it's been ok so far but even on 2g it does it from time to time. I think that my only Options are to stick with the phone and it's issue or get a phone without this problem.

My issue isn't signal strength though, it's the fact that it roams to other networks even though I've got a decent signal on my network. I'm very happy with the 3-4 bars I get and the only thing I can think of is that because 3G is poor where I am, it keeps trying to get a 3g signal and therefore locks onto a network where it can get one (I.e. 3 or O2).

Why can't it just be like other phones so you can at least choose for it to only use one network and for the phone to just show no signal if there isn't one (which would never be the case at home as my signal is good).

Oh and my other phone is just a cheapo Nokia.
    10-21-11 09:48 AM
    It could be something with Etisalat. Etisalat in the UAE is not always perfect. Did you try installing a SIM card from DU in there to see if you experience the same problems?
    my old bold 9700 never had this problem. and as i explained above, i did switch phones back to the 9700 for a day, and haven't seen the issue on it, which rules out a problem with my SIM, the network, or reception in my area..

as CASFAN tried, i've upgraded the OS, tried different settings, etc..
    my phone just goes into SOS out of the blue, like from a FULL signal to SOS.. and a quick look at the mobile network options screen shows it's actually parked on wrong network.

i can get it working right away if i switch the mobile radio off and back on, it says "searching for network" and within a split second the phone is back on Etisalat (the correct network) in either 2G or 3G with a fairly high signal.

i'm not sure what causes the phone to just give up and go into SOS mode..
    i think if someone could write a small tool that runs in the background and forces the phone to search for network instead of sitting in SOS mode, that would effectively solve my problem and minimize the outages
    10-21-11 10:27 AM
    I have noticed that the 9900 does give 3G priority, turn the signal on a 9700 as it goes trough gsm,gprs/edge and then change to 3G where the 9900 goes straight to 3G. Driving trough some known spots I can see the 9900 keeps a 3G signal where the 9700 would drop to 2G. It's just a matter of optimization and I'm sure a future OS will make it better.

The old nokia might hold a better signal but phones nowadays have to have the antena at the bottom of the phone ie the furthest point from the head, the nokia probably has it at the top.

I don't know how apple gets away with having the antenna all around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 01:50 PM
    I think that the above is correct in that the phone certainly looks for a 3G signal on any network before it will go to 2g on the chosen network. It's certainly a software thing and all they need to do is make it so that you only ever lock onto the network (or networks) you choose.

I've had it on 2G all day and it hasn't SOS once but then I've had it go for long periods without an SOS in the past when set to 3G & 2G. The test is when I travel somewhere as I've just been in the house today. Still it definitely seems to be better when set to 2G only but then that means I'm not using the 3G capability of the phone. That said, the most important thing is that I get my calls, texts and emails and I can always turn on 3G if in an area when I need it.
    10-21-11 03:13 PM
    Besides trying another replacement, you could always use quicklaunch to set up a shortcut so when you see its on sos, you can hit the shorcut and toggle it back. Worth a shot.....
    10-21-11 03:45 PM
    I've got the same issue as OP, phone goes SOS when sitting on my bedside table, never had this problem before, seen it once with my 9700 in the same spot but this 9900 is doing without fail every night now for the past week.

My guess is that a new OS in the future will iron it out.

May also be related to the shocking battery life on the 1st night when I went to 40% within 8 hours with it just sitting on the table.

UK t-mobile user by the way.

10-21-11 04:15 PM
    ... only thing I can think of is that because 3G is poor where I am, it keeps trying to get a 3g signal and therefore locks onto a network where it can get one (I.e. 3 or O2).

Why can't it just be like other phones so you can at least choose for it to only use one network and for the phone to just show no signal if there isn't one (which would never be the case at home as my signal is good).

Oh and my other phone is just a cheapo Nokia.
    That's what I was thinking too. The cheapo Nokia, like mine, looks only for 2G probably, and stays locked to that carrier. The 9900 looks for 3G and maybe your carrier has weak 3G signal where you are. Not saying it is like this, but so far, it is the only thing I can think of myself.
    10-21-11 04:35 PM
    Try setting your phone on 2G. As some networks haven't fully upgraded to 3G yet.

Sent via BB Tapatalk.
    10-21-11 05:55 PM
    The OP is not crazy this is a known issue... It appears that under certain network conditions the device (both 9900 & 9860 have this) will drop the network. It usually is the 3G that is the issue because the nature of wcdma (umts) networks is that a cell sites footprint (or coverage area) will shrink as customer demand increases. This causes the device to think it needs to increase power to improve signal... etc, etc...

I saw this issue improve slightly with SW .440 but it is still present..

PG
    10-21-11 07:06 PM
    had the same problem with my 9780, switched it to manual network selection, there is a second option which has prompt, yes or no. Choose no and you won't be having any SOS troubles. It is not a phone issue nor carrier issue rather its a conflict between BB OS and carrier roaming agreements. If i change the sim card in my phone with any other operators the SOS doesn't even flash once, but only with one particular operators it shows up. try the manual thing with second option as NO and you should be good to go
    10-22-11 09:16 AM
    cooljatt18: unfortunately that's EXACTLY how my 9900 is set up.
    Network Selection Mode: Manual
    Select Automatic mode when manually selected Network is Not available: No
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

i've tried 2G and 3G separately.. no difference
    and i also tried adding both my operator's networks (the 2G and 3G networks) under "My Preferred Network List"

didn't make a difference either
    10-22-11 09:56 AM
    Yeah mine also does it if set to manual and no. It shouldn't really as I'm telling it not to (I.e. stick to my chosen network, even if unavailable) but it still switches to say 3 or O2.

It hasn't done it this time since I switched to 2g as there is nearly always a reasonable 2g signal and where the 3G signal is strong (such as in central Manchester, where I am now) it is rock solid on 3G.

I'll just have to live with it in 2g mode and switch to 3G (say if I want to browse the net on the move etc.) when in a good area. Bit of a pain, but worth it as I love the phone.
    10-22-11 10:19 AM
    When the original Bold 9000 was 1st released in the UK it suffered a sililiar fate of having an under powered battery and 3G connection issues, when you called your provider the advice was always switch to 2G...OS updates ironed out these issues, although many people opted for handset replacements which did nothing unless they had an updated OS.

10-22-11 10:36 AM
    I have exactly the same problem with my new Bold 9900,
    Mobile Network: Vodafone UK
    Select Automatic Mode When Manually Selected Network is not available: No

When I'm in a poor signal area for Vodafone the phone randomly locks on to another network (T-Mobile, O2, 3 etc) and sits in SOS mode, it comes out of this mode equally randomly.

I appear to have the latest OS updates so the issue has definitely NOT been resolved.
    10-23-11 09:09 AM
    I have exactly the same problem with my new Bold 9900,
    Mobile Network: Vodafone UK
    Select Automatic Mode When Manually Selected Network is not available: No

When I'm in a poor signal area for Vodafone the phone randomly locks on to another network (T-Mobile, O2, 3 etc) and sits in SOS mode, it comes out of this mode equally randomly.

I appear to have the latest OS updates so the issue has definitely NOT been resolved.
    .440 is the latest OS and not 296. That is the Vodafone supplied OS. .440 although not perfect, is better and does help.
    10-24-11 10:25 AM
    I also have this problem, if I am in an area where there is no signal, the network will never recover, when I realize that I have to manually re-enable. What to do?
    11-02-11 06:53 AM
    cooljatt18: unfortunately that's EXACTLY how my 9900 is set up.
    Select Automatic mode when manually selected Network is Not available: No

i've tried 2G and 3G separately.. no difference
    and i also tried adding both my operator's networks (the 2G and 3G networks) under "My Preferred Network List"
    This has the feel of a bug in the software, and there might be a fault on your cellular tower. Here's my logic:
    * Your settings should lock the phone to chosen network - hard lock
    * If the network signal disappears it should switch to SOS on any available network (to allow emergency calls) regardless of the lock BUT it should switch back automatically within a few minues when your home network is restored.

My suspicion is that the phone sees a short network drop and switches to SOS, then the re-scan for own network is failing to activate at the correct interval. Whether the initial loss of network is a tower fault or some other cause (blocking/interference or phone hardware fault) is unknown, but you might be able to get a clue from the way it behaves on a completely different tower.
    11-02-11 08:25 AM
    I have the exact same problem with my 9900. I have a 9780 on the same network with me almost all of the time and the problem has not arised once - network mode automatic 2G and 3G

My 9900 is running the 7.1.0.205 OS. By setting the network mode to 2G only, network selection to manual and the "select automatic mode when manually selected network is not available" to "no" i have received the best results, it almost never goes to SOS / the wrong network but each time the phone restarts I do need to re-select the network.

i don't see how this is anything other than a software issue to be honest.

PS: I am in South Africa.
    02-04-12 01:15 AM
    Have the exact same problem with my 9810 Torch.
    Once it goes to SOS and chooses a different mobile carrier, only option is to switch it off then on.

Now I followed your advises on choosing 2G only.
    Hope RIM fixes this and not choose the wrong network once signal is scarce and also even if you manually set the preferred network already.
    03-07-12 12:05 AM
    I've had a similar problem with my 9900 on 7.1.0 Bundle 998 and never had the problem prior to upgrading to OS7. I have a few more twists to my story though. My phone can spontaneously go to "Searching" or "No Service" during the day but that's fairly rare. 90% of the time I get stuck at "Searching for Network" when I disconnect it from the charging cord in the morning and the only solution is a battery pull. Even once it comes up and finds the network (T-Mobile) it spends the rest of the day cycling between the following: 4G, GPRS, GSM, 4g, GSM, EDGE, edge. I always have at least 3 bars and usually 5 bars because I sit at the base of a mountain with line-of-sight to all the towers at the top. For the past 2+ years we've had a Bold 9700 that sits rock solid at 3G and never loses signal at home.

My network has always been set to automatic, but I did change it to "manual" just now based on the prior post here and I'll see if that makes a difference. Also, when I upgraded to OS7 it defaulted to "WiFi Network Preferred" as my preferred network for calls. I didn't like the quality so I switched it to "Mobile Network Preferred" and that's really when I noticed all the problems. Perhaps WiFi was masking it all along.

I really think something is screwed up with OS7 and not my phone's radio antenna. BlackBerry needs to look in to it. It's the most unstable Berry I've owned.

Update: I just plugged my phone back in to the wall-charger (while it had a good 4G connection at 5 bars) and it instantly displayed an error stating "The manually selected network is out of range" and then asked me to "Switch to Automatic" or "Select another network".
    I also got it to do the same thing by powering it down after connecting it to the charger and then powering it back on and disconnecting it (to simulate what happens each night/morning).
    I told it to "Select another network" but after a couple of minutes it told me: "Scan for networks timed out. Please try again later." Also, while connected to the wall charger I was not allowed to scan for available networks.

I can recreate the same behavior if I connect it to my computer and select "Charge Only". As soon as it enters the "Charge Only" mode the OS is turning off the radio and only a battery pull turns it back on. No amount of changing the network from manual to automatic and back again, no amount of clicking the "Mobile Network" box on and off, no amount of telling it my WiFi network is preferred, no amount of power downs/ups does anything. HELP!!! THIS SUCKS!!!

There you go RIM engineers, I did your job for you! If any of you are monitoring this issue and would like to get additional details please let me know.
    Last edited by tp096255; 04-19-12 at 12:46 PM.
    04-19-12 11:43 AM
    have a 9780 that has given me perfect reception at work and at home 99.9% of the time. Never had any problems with SOS or anything. When I turned the phone on, it would grip onto the proper network and never let go.

Got my hands on an unlocked 9900. When I turn it on, it tries to connect to the WRONG network, ALL THE TIME, everytime..

To solve this, I have to turn the radio off. Then on and manually select my carrier.

I don't understand how this phone can have a SIM from carrier x and not instantly connect to carrier X when turned on.... even when carrier X has perfect signal strength.

To make matters worse, I've had intermittent MMS problems that can't be solved with service books or resets.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue... all of my preliminary attempts to resolve it have been met with "...RIM.... lolz".... and "Blackberry...what'd you expect?!"

I'm not happy at the moment.

I'm on 7.1.0.267 (921) on an AWS 9900...
    06-04-12 03:29 PM
    This is the one issue that's really bugging the **** out of me with my otherwise brilliant Bold 9900

every so often, especially at home, i notice the damn thing sitting in SOS mode.
    i've left it alone and it sat there for 4-5 minutes before searching for network..

now i have good reception at home.. all my other phones (BB and others) have 70%+ signal (3-4 bars out of 5) at all times, and this guy here sometimes goes straight from 5 bars (full signals) to SOS for no apparent reason!

upon further inspection i realized when i'm in SOS mode, the phone is actually locked onto the other operator in the area and i've tried EVERYTHING

i added my operator to the preferred network lists
    i've set the phone to manual and select my network
    damn thing still switches to the other operator and sits there for a while!

what could it be?
    it's not signal level related as it sometimes switches to the wrong network from a full signal!

the phone is also locked to my network so i'm not sure if this is contributing in any way.

i'm checked the engineering screen hoping to find something that helps.. no luck

i've tried automatic and manual network selection, in 2G, 3G and 2G&3G.. the problem persists.

oh, and i also had this with 7.0.0.315 and 7.0.0.353
    I had similar problems, try 7.1.0.318.
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    06-04-12 04:18 PM
    Same issue with two 9900s on TMo in Cambridge MA. Found that not running wifi and wireless at same time helps but is a pain. Not sure whether s/ or h/ware issue. 9700 never had this problem and had reliable UMA. RIM = one step forward two steps backwards. At some point they just fall off the cliff.
    06-05-12 01:24 AM
    I had similar problems, try 7.1.0.318.
    IT hasn't been 24 hours yet but this build .318- so far, seems very promising for me. So far it is working very well...I'm simply monitoring battery consumption to see if it's a keeper. As a heavy user I need battery life that will at least be very close to my tricked out 9780...(which I may go back to if BB doesn't come out with a grand-slam update soon)
    06-05-12 12:09 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD