This is the one issue that's really bugging the **** out of me with my otherwise brilliant Bold 9900

every so often, especially at home, i notice the damn thing sitting in SOS mode.
    i've left it alone and it sat there for 4-5 minutes before searching for network..

now i have good reception at home.. all my other phones (BB and others) have 70%+ signal (3-4 bars out of 5) at all times, and this guy here sometimes goes straight from 5 bars (full signals) to SOS for no apparent reason!

upon further inspection i realized when i'm in SOS mode, the phone is actually locked onto the other operator in the area and i've tried EVERYTHING

i added my operator to the preferred network lists
    i've set the phone to manual and select my network
    damn thing still switches to the other operator and sits there for a while!

what could it be?
    it's not signal level related as it sometimes switches to the wrong network from a full signal!

the phone is also locked to my network so i'm not sure if this is contributing in any way.

i'm checked the engineering screen hoping to find something that helps.. no luck

i've tried automatic and manual network selection, in 2G, 3G and 2G&3G.. the problem persists.

oh, and i also had this with 7.0.0.315 and 7.0.0.353
    09-20-11 05:58 AM
    Try a batt pull
    09-20-11 08:05 AM
    i tell you i've tried two OS versions, all kinds of settings.. and you recommend a battery pull?

come on, that's one of the first things i've tried, i didn't think it's worth mentioning as it's usually the first step to take with issues like these
    09-20-11 08:22 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem. I'm on Bell's network in Canada. Phone works fine most of the time, but randomly, about twice a week... it loses the network and goes to SOS and will no reconnect to the network unless I do a battery pull.

I can't be pulling out the battery every couple of days (especially given that the cover is nearly impossible to get off without using a knife), so I'm wondering if anyone knows what's causing the problem.

I've tried all different network modes, doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried turinng the network off, then on again, but it still says SOS until I pull out the battery.
    10-06-11 01:46 AM
    which network are you on OP. sounds like it may be some kind of a network or SIM issue.
    10-06-11 02:58 AM
    dictoresno: i'm on the other side of the globe in Dubai.. operator is Etisalat
    the same SIM worked flawlessly on my 9700, till i switched over to the 9900

and a few days back, i switched simcards (another number) temporarily and it did exactly the same thing leaving me thinking there's either a problem with the phone, or cell tower near my home.. although i've seen this happen in other areas as well so i really don't know :S
    10-06-11 06:43 AM
    Given everything you describe, it sounds like a hardware issue to me. It should not go into SOS unless signal is so weak, it can't connect on 2G/3G or H+. I'd get a replacement.
    10-06-11 06:48 AM
    I have the same issue with my 9900 at home
    I'e used .296 and .353 and it still does it- i go from 2/3 bars to SOS quite often, very annoying.
    10-06-11 06:54 AM
    Have you guys tried setting Network Selection Mode: Automatic? It works so much better than setting to Manual.. that's just my 2 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-06-11 07:32 AM
    i would call the carrier to find out if there is a tower out in your area. sounds like you arent getting a good signal on your native network and its trying to roam on the other network for you.

if all else fails, it could be hardware related. bring it back to your carrier for replacement.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-06-11 08:07 AM
    I am with Telus and I have the same issue. Telus told me it is NOT the phone, but their network. The Telus and Bell share their network of BIS so I think this apply to Bell as well. They told me they are working on fixing it. I get SIM card error out of no where.

10-06-11 08:32 AM
    ive done everything aswell. changed it to automatic mode. manual mode. soft reset. hard reset. network refresh with rogers. batt pull etc etc etc.. it still goes into SOS mode. and it tries to connect to telus the most. when i have 6 different cell phones in the house all on rogers.
    10-06-11 09:07 AM
    My 9900 does exactly the same as this and has done since I got it a few months ago. I've been offered a replacement but don't know whether it's the phone or the SIM.

Like the OP I've installed several OS's, pulled the battery many times and tried every setting on the phone (manual, automatic, 2g&3g, just 2g, prompt etc.) and no joy! I've even tried deleting all of the preferred networks and just having Vodafone 2g and 3G on the list.

I am with Vodafone and one of the reasons with going for this carrier is that I have a Vodafone work phone and have always had a good signal (around 3 bars at home which is better than my previous 2 bars from O2. My 9900 shows 3-4 bars at home but then for some strange reason it will just swap to 3 or O2 (both or which are actually less strong a signal where I live) and therefore sit on SOS until I do a search and reselect Vodafone! I then receive a barrage of emails and texts which could previously not get through due to being in SOS mode.

It's really frustrating and seems a common problem (hence me not yet going for a replacement). Everything else about the phone is great.
    Last edited by CASFAN; 10-07-11 at 03:56 AM.
    10-07-11 03:53 AM
    I can have the Torch 9850 and the bold 9900 side by side both using the same network(telus) and the Bold will go to SOS.
    10-07-11 05:41 AM
    Set the network to manual instead of automatic, this way it will not look for other networks, just your own. I just set mine that way, I wonder if it will make a difference on battery life too.

10-07-11 08:00 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem. I'm on Bell's network in Canada. Phone works fine most of the time, but randomly, about twice a week... it loses the network and goes to SOS and will no reconnect to the network unless I do a battery pull.

I've tried all different network modes, doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried turinng the network off, then on again, but it still says SOS until I pull out the battery.
    I am with Telus and I have the same issue. Telus told me it is NOT the phone, but their network. The Telus and Bell share their network of BIS so I think this apply to Bell as well. They told me they are working on fixing it. I get SIM card error out of no where.
    I can have the Torch 9850 and the bold 9900 side by side both using the same network(telus) and the Bold will go to SOS.
    Where are you guys located? I find my network is pretty much fine in the GTA area, but once I hit the Guelph/Kitchener area, my phone goes to SOS randomly alot throughout the day. I have spoke to other friends on TELUS and BELL HSPA (bellusnetwork) who have androids and iPhones and they have the exact same issue. I believe this is an issue with the network and not the phone. I will call in to complain later.

Set the network to manual instead of automatic, this way it will not look for other networks, just your own. I just set mine that way, I wonder if it will make a difference on battery life too.
    I'm quite confident this does lower battery life. The phone is having to re-associate and re-register into the proper network over and over again which takes radio and cpu resources.
    10-07-11 09:04 AM
    setting my network to 2G solved the problem for me. it hardly goes to SOS again but it usually goes to SOS like 3 to 4 times per day.
    10-07-11 09:27 AM
    I've had that happen at times but that's probably just me going through a dead zone.

10-07-11 10:07 AM
    I def recommend changing from automatic to manual, I've had mine set like this all afternoon and I could swear battery is lasting longer. I also noticed it changes from 3G to 2G and back much faster on manual. Try it.

10-07-11 11:07 AM
    An update from me.

I have now had a replacement phone - still get the issue

I have had my SIM replaced - still get the issue

I am running the latest software and have also tried the previous two - no change

I have ran multiple battery pulls - no effect

I have tried automatic and manual network - no difference

I am in a fairly strong area for Vodafone, my carrier (usually 3-4 bars) yet it still switches to O2 or 3 and therefore goes into SOS mode

Turning to 2g seems to improve it slightly but doesn't stop it

I have a work phone (just a cheap Nokia) on vodafone and it has never once lost network signal where I live or anywhere I've been with it.

I really like the phone so don't want to have to change it, but I can't use it like this as I keep missing calls, texts, emails etc. whilst in SOS mode! Don't know what else I can do though .
    10-20-11 01:10 PM
    this is shocking and exceptional....
    10-21-11 02:11 AM
    Its not about battery pulls, its not the OS, its not the SIM. Its you having a low signal where you are. This happens to all the phones, not just the 9900. The same thing happens to my 9700 when I have no T-Mo signal. It locks to AT&T and stays there... Unless I try to look for network, but if you place it on manual, the moment you lose signal, you have to look for it yourself, and if you lose it... and don't realize you do... you may stay more time without signal.
    10-21-11 02:48 AM
    Its not about battery pulls, its not the OS, its not the SIM. Its you having a low signal where you are. This happens to all the phones, not just the 9900. The same thing happens to my 9700 when I have no T-Mo signal. It locks to AT&T and stays there... Unless I try to look for network, but if you place it on manual, the moment you lose signal, you have to look for it yourself, and if you lose it... and don't realize you do... you may stay more time without signal.
    No it isn't, otherwise how do you explain that my other phone on the same network has never once lost signal and how when I have signal on my 9900 at one it is 3-4 bars of signal? Even with a good signal it will just switch to say O2 or 3. Why it can't just stay on my network and in the rare situation where I have no signal just show no signal I don't know.

The problem lies with the phone in that it seems to constantly roam and maybe switch to another network if the signal is slightly stronger. Do they not realise that we are not on several networks at the same time. Can you even have multiple sims in this phone?
    10-21-11 03:25 AM
    It could be something with Etisalat. Etisalat in the UAE is not always perfect. Did you try installing a SIM card from DU in there to see if you experience the same problems?
    10-21-11 03:39 AM
    this is shocking and exceptional....
    No it isn't, it is neither. I changed my first 9900 on Vodafone because it constantly went sos. The replacement isn't really much better. Loading .440 helped and it was stable for a few days, I find that it roams when the battery goes below 40%. No idea if it is related at all. It also seems to lose network if I allow it go to sleep, again may be a battery saver...No idea. I have found that switching the network off and then back on get the signal back.

My wifes torch never loses signal at home. I don't see any point in switching to manual or locking it to 2G as I feel that defeats the purpose of having a 3G phone.
    10-21-11 05:59 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD