I live in a rural area with no reception in some places. My 9900 has a problem whereby after travelling through an area with no signal it fails to regain a signal in a network area. i have to manually turn off mobile connection and turn it back on again.
    This is getting very tiresome and not practical if driving (using hands free)

Is this a common issue? is there a fix? is it time i just took a hammer to my 9900 and got another phone?

Any suggestions greatly appreciate
    Sidzz
    06-29-12 09:13 AM
    Try using 2G/3G setting..
    Or try 2G..
    It works for me..
    06-29-12 01:49 PM
    The 9900 is slow to lock on to a signal...for no good reason. I find the 9900 to have radio issues even in good signal areas.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    06-29-12 06:10 PM
    Actually mine does that too. I live in the LA area, but have TMO. Sometimes I notice when I come from an area with no coverage, my phone will just stay on SOS or with the 4g symbol rather than 4G. I have to turn off and on mobile network too! Thought it was just me! No idea how to fix that, though.
    06-30-12 09:09 AM
    Actually mine does that too. I live in the LA area, but have TMO. Sometimes I notice when I come from an area with no coverage, my phone will just stay on SOS or with the 4g symbol rather than 4G. I have to turn off and on mobile network too! Thought it was just me! No idea how to fix that, though.
    Me too. While i also have TMo others around the world have noted the same problem. I think it relates to the radio. It seems to be a bit better if the wifi radio is turned off. For me this issue is a real issue and send me back to the 9700.
    07-01-12 03:45 AM
    I have att so its not often that I don't have any signal. But when I first switched to att I got the iphone4 and went to an area I never go which is 10 miles out of coverage. I was there for an hour and a half . When I came back I was watching the phone to see when it got signal back. Well. I drove 40 min thru a att area and it showed no service the entire time. Finally when I got back to the city I said enough and cycled the radio. It then started working. The att rep changed. The sim card and said it was the problem. I do from time to time see that on the iphone or 9900 if you're out of signal for enough time the phone stops searching for service to conserve the battery I assume. SOS means that you are on a network you're not registered to be on. So you probably on att. I would say switch to att or just know to toggle . The 9700 was the gen of excellant battery life do to less horsepower so RIM was probably able to keep it searching all the time , I know my 8350i on Nextel didn't stop searching but my moto dumb phones did
    07-01-12 08:44 AM
    The 9900 is not only weak to regain the signal, it also get less signal than previous BBs. If you put side by side the 9900 and the 9700, using the same carrier, it is evident how 9700 get much more signal. If you get H+ 4 bars all the time in your 9900 than you are lucky, and you 'll have no problems. If however you are getting H+ with one or two bars, or edge, than it depends how is your level of requirement. You still can make calls and everything, but it is not the same quality. You ll' have some distortion, some backnoise, dropcalls, calls not completing sometimes. You still can live with it, But If you want better quality voice calls , you have to downgrade your device...
    07-02-12 05:01 PM
    I I wish the problem were only poor quality voice. Sometimes calls go through but I and the other party can hear nothing. Same thing with placed calls. Frequently wifi calling does not work. This is the second unit with the same problems. Crappy radios esp compared to the 9700.
    07-02-12 05:12 PM
    I I wish the problem were only poor quality voice. Sometimes calls go through but I and the other party can hear nothing. Same thing with placed calls. Frequently wifi calling does not work. This is the second unit with the same problems. Crappy radios esp compared to the 9700.
    07-02-12 05:19 PM
    07-02-12 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD