So With NFC_Launcher i though lets throw some ideas of what your best idea using nfc is...get sharing.

my personal one (only have one nfc tag atm) is when im in my bedroom (by my changer) i switch my backlight brightness to 100 (because it looks nice) still going to play around me, but lets see what everyone elses ideas are....
    10-12-11 12:04 PM
    **** Edit: NFCLauncher is renamed to NFCShortcuts

Following are the ideas gathered from alpha testers of NFCShortcuts:

* Touch a tag on the belt to lock BB (regardless of what app is in foreground).

* Touch a tag on holster/belt to change the profile to Silent or Vibrate.

* Touch a tag in the car to send an email to partner saying I am on the way home.

* Touch a tag in the car to toggle (running/not running) Drivesafe.ly app

* Touch a tag in the car to turn on Bluetooth (for handsfree) and then Call partner.

* Touch a tag on the night stand to toggle bedside mode.

* Touch a tag on gym locker to change ringer profile, BBM/WLM status, and open workout playlist in native music player.

* Touch a tag on xbox360/PS3/computer desk to send a message to pre defined friends inviting them to sign in for some online gaming (Call Of Duty, Battlefield, NHL 12, etc)

* Touch a tag as I'm leaving the office to launch the mobile timekeeping app to enter hours for the day.

Some of these ideas are shown in this clip:

Last edited by Vijik; 11-19-11 at 09:41 AM.
    10-13-11 09:50 PM
    Currently have the following:

-Tag on the spine of my door to toggle wi-fi. Turns wi-fi on when I get home and off when I leave

-Tag on my monitor at work to toggle wi-fi to pretty much replicate the home tag with the addition of switching the sound profile to vibrate

-Tag in the car to activate voice dialing

-Tag in the car to toggle DriveSafe.ly

-Tag in my wallet to toggle the radio so when I'm underground on the train I can turn the radio off and then turn it back on when the train comes back above ground. Probably change this to the case of my iPod so the wallet location isn't revealed...
    Last edited by dimm0k; 10-28-11 at 02:53 PM.
    Vijik likes this.
    10-28-11 02:51 PM
    I have a few, i am looking to add more when the ideas come up

put 2 beside my bed
    - one to set my alarm 7:05am, turn on wifi, set to beside mode
    - one to set my alarm 8:10am, turn on wifi, set to beside mode

one at my front door at home
    - set my profiles to medium so it's not blaring loud, wifi on, bluetooth toggle

one on my steering column of my car
    - sets my profiles to Loud, turn off wifi, bluetooth toggle

one on my work laptop
    - sets my profiles to phone call only, wifi off, bluetooth toggle

i have gone through most scenarios in my head so the bluetooth toggles should turn it on or off when i need it to

i.e. when i come from my car (BT ON) to my home (toggle should turn it off)
    Vijik, bradcormier and convenor like this.
    10-28-11 03:17 PM
    though i have about 30 tags set up, i'll just list the daily use ones.

- Beside my bed (for at night)
    Signs me out of Windows Live Messenger, changes my BBM status to busy,exits 5 apps (if they are running) that i wont need while i'm sleeping, change my ringer profile to a custom one, launch BlackCharge

- beside my bed (for the morning)
    signs me into Windows Live Messenger, changes my BBM status to available, changes my ringer profile to normal, launches the weather app i use to update it, launches Messages so i can see what i missed while sleeping.

- on my way out of the house.
    checks for and exists 3 apps i wont need while i'm not connected to wifi, turns off wifi, makes 100% sure bluetooth is on, makes sure my ringer profile is set to normal (in case i forgot the first "morning" tag).

- on my way back into my home
    turns on wifi, launches 3 apps, changes my ringer profile to vibrate only
    Vijik and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-29-11 06:36 PM
    So I'm new to this side of tec. How does this work? Do I buy "tags" somewhere and program? Sorry for the newbie questions, but this sounds super interesting for my rogers unlocked on att which HAS nfc. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Malicab likes this.
    11-12-11 10:58 PM
    So I'm new to this side of tec. How does this work? Do I buy "tags" somewhere and program? Sorry for the newbie questions, but this sounds super interesting for my rogers unlocked on att which HAS nfc. Thanks!

Yes, NFC tags are required for this app. Get blank Mifare Ultralight tags. NOT Mifare Classic. The classic ones don't work with the 9900/9930

As for how the app works, you can setup tags to launch (nearly) any app you want. Or to say toggle bluetooth, wifi etc. You can also use it to make a phone call, etc etc.

If you have ShortcutMe then you can also setup tags to launch any macros you're written in ShortcutMe

edit
    Also, I bought 6 different sizes/dimensions of tags ranging from penny-ish to business card and they all seem to work just as well (in my opinion)
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 11-12-11 at 11:07 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    11-12-11 11:03 PM
    Great ideas! I'm going to have to try this out (just recently downloaded the update that enabled NFC). Will post when I get them working.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-14-11 05:02 AM
    Vijik,
    works like a charm, you Genius you!

So now, thanks to you, I have a metal-backed NFC tag on the back of my Playbook to automatically connect the two. Way to go, Genius!

AppName:Macro
    Shortcut Keys: TBT
    Macros:
    LaunchAndWait Manage Connections;
    NavMoveDown 2; (make sure this is correct number of needed movement before Bluetooth is selected in Manage Connections)
    NavClick;
    Delay 200;
    EscKey;

App Name: Macro
    Macros:
    If0 IsBtOn;
    Then0 ;
    LaunchBlackberryBridge;
    Else0;
    ImportMacro TBT;
    LaunchBlackberryBridge;
    EndIf0;

If you do a quick, simple check to see if Bluetooth is on (IsBtOn) it eliminates all the guess work and brainpower to remember if BT is on or off. I'm all all about trying to make my life as No-brainer as possible!
    Last edited by kauaigirl63; 11-22-11 at 04:57 PM.
    Vijik, guerllamo7, vecharo and 1 others like this.
    11-22-11 04:29 PM
    I just saw the NFC Launcher/Shortcuts story on the CB front page. Very cool stuff with so many possibilities.
    Question: Will the handset read NFC tags if it is holstered?
    12-03-11 06:17 PM
    I just saw the NFC Launcher/Shortcuts story on the CB front page. Very cool stuff with so many possibilities.
    Question: Will the handset read NFC tags if it is holstered?
    No. RIM has made it so that the phone must be unlocked AND the backlight on in order for NFC to function. Which is for security of course
    bradcormier likes this.
    12-03-11 06:21 PM
    Yes, NFC tags are required for this app. Get blank Mifare Ultralight tags. NOT Mifare Classic. The classic ones don't work with the 9900/9930

As for how the app works, you can setup tags to launch (nearly) any app you want. Or to say toggle bluetooth, wifi etc. You can also use it to make a phone call, etc etc.

If you have ShortcutMe then you can also setup tags to launch any macros you're written in ShortcutMe

edit
    Also, I bought 6 different sizes/dimensions of tags ranging from penny-ish to business card and they all seem to work just as well (in my opinion)
    why wont mifare classic work ? also are the ultralight reprogrammable ? so being new to this you buy the ultralight tags....buy the nfc shortcuts app....program the tag using the software and good to go ?
    12-03-11 06:48 PM
    why wont mifare classic work ? also are the ultralight reprogrammable ? so being new to this you buy the ultralight tags....buy the nfc shortcuts app....program the tag using the software and good to go ?
    you will have to ask RIM why the classic ones dont work with their device. But yes, you can change the tag setup any time you wish, for as many times as you like. Provided you dont use a different app to lock it. using NFCShortcuts to lock it will lock it for NFCShortcuts use only, but you can still edit it however you like.
    12-03-11 07:10 PM
    Don't want to hijack, but quick question from a newbie...

What software version needs to be running for NFC to work?
    Is NFC supported on the AT&T 9900?
    12-03-11 07:13 PM
    you will have to ask RIM why the classic ones dont work with their device. But yes, you can change the tag setup any time you wish, for as many times as you like. Provided you dont use a different app to lock it. using NFCShortcuts to lock it will lock it for NFCShortcuts use only, but you can still edit it however you like.
    So you are saying with ultralight and shrtcuts I can program then change or reprogram ? Basically the ultralight tags can be changed ? I thought you could only do this with classic. Am I mistaken ?

12-03-11 07:15 PM
    So you are saying with ultralight and shrtcuts I can program then change or reprogram ? Basically the ultralight tags can be changed ? I thought you could only do this with classic. Am I mistaken ?

I dont know anything about how NFC tags themselves work (classic vs ultralight). But I can say with 100% certainty that you can modify your NFCShortcuts setup and re-use tags as many times as you wish. Change the tag to preform a new/different function anytime you want.
    12-03-11 07:25 PM
    I dont know anything about how NFC tags themselves work (classic vs ultralight). But I can say with 100% certainty that you can modify your NFCShortcuts setup and re-use tags as many times as you wish. Change the tag to preform a new/different function anytime you want.
    Excellent - thanks for the replies. Laast Q - can you recommend where to buy TAGS ?
    12-03-11 08:05 PM
    Excellent - thanks for the replies. Laast Q - can you recommend where to buy TAGS ?
    I got mine from www.buynfctags.com
    I bought different sizes, everything from their "penny" size all the way up to full business card for testing purposes. They all seem to work equally well in my experience.
    12-03-11 08:35 PM
    I don't know why Mifare Classic doesn't work with BBs. Maybe a BB OS update will fix this.

Currently all NFCShortcuts users who have contacted us have reported that they can use Mifare Ultralight tags.

4 users have confirmed that they can't read Mifare Classic tags.

Mifare Ultralight tags are much cheaper than Classic ones, so you might not miss something here.

(Rest of your questions are already addressed by Juggalo20)
    12-04-11 04:27 PM
    Don't want to hijack, but quick question from a newbie...

What software version needs to be running for NFC to work?
    Is NFC supported on the AT&T 9900?
    Moved this to here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6908493
    12-04-11 04:30 PM
    Classic does not work for me either.
    12-05-11 03:04 PM
    Really nice thread, I'll order some tags first, then keep you posted!
    12-05-11 03:48 PM
    Does the BB case interfere with these at all?
    12-06-11 12:46 AM
    Mine doesnt. I cant tell you what case it is. It was bought at Verizon and it is semi-soft.
    12-06-11 02:51 PM
    Does the BB case interfere with these at all?
    Only metal, water and other NFC tags can interfere with the NFC signal between your NFC tags and NFCShortcuts.
    Most BB cases don't have those things in them.

Last edited by Vijik; 12-06-11 at 03:04 PM.
    slowrvr likes this.
    12-06-11 03:01 PM
250 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD