Hi
    I have just received a lovely 9900 but I already have a problem with it and I don`t know what to do.
    It really annoys me when I am having a call and the network coverage `falls back` to GSM. Once I am finished with the call, it goes back to edge and then to 3G after a few seconds.
    I don`t know what to do, I don`t think this is something normal since this way I cannot receive bbm messages or emails, etc, while having a phone call.
    Has anybody experienced the same problem?
    Should I send the phone back for a repair?

Many thanks
    02-02-12 02:12 PM
    This is normal.

Only texts and other calls come in while you're on the phone.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-02-12 05:42 PM
    Does same on my side I don't think its a problem
    02-02-12 05:43 PM
    I noticed it on edge never 4g , never saw it display 3g
    02-02-12 10:38 PM
    Many Thanks.
    I have used a 9700 for 2 years and never noticed the same `problem`.
    As far as I remember I also received emails and bbm during calls.
    The 9900 will not do this then, if it is on GSM while making calls.

Thanks anyway
    02-03-12 01:11 AM
    in 3G mode you can be on a call and receive data at the same time that's the specialty of 3G, as far as your switching during the call is concerned its most probably your network, try switching to 3G mode only. though must tell you that 3G mode will consume more battery life and 3G network is also not as widespread as 2G
    02-03-12 01:20 PM
    I've just noticed mine does exactly the same thing, it has full 3G then when I go to end the call and see the screen it says GSM. After ending the call it gotes back to GPRS then 3G almost right away, it's very strange!

EDIT- I just tested it on 3G only (called voicemail) it stayed on 3G whole time, then tested again on 3G & 2G and it stayed 3G. Maybe it only drops to GSM if absolutely neccessary (like it should!).
    Last edited by GreenBerry84; 02-04-12 at 09:38 AM.
    02-04-12 09:31 AM
    I thought that GSM allowed you to browse the internet and talk on the phone at the same time.

Try a phone call and browse at the same time.

If it doesn't perhaps its yet another limitation of this device.......trunicated emails.......can't open certain email attachments..........poor quality youtube videos........and too much buffering even with wifi..........

I still like the phone though.

BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HankHowdy; 02-04-12 at 10:01 AM.
    02-04-12 09:40 AM
    I just called the voicemail on speakerphone then navigated to a web page and it worked fine with the call ongoing... but, it stayed on 3G all the time! Typical! Oh well, whether this is an issue or not, I'm like you HankHowdy, I still like the phone too!
    02-04-12 09:45 AM
    I thought that GSM allowed you to browse the internet and talk on the phone at the same time.

Try a phone call and browse at the same time.

If it doesn't perhaps its yet another limitation of this device.......trunicated emails.......can't open certain email attachments..........poor quality youtube videos........and too much buffering even with wifi..........

I still like the phone though.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk

GSM bands allow the user to surf the internet while connected to a phone call but this can only be done is the phone is receiving a 3G signal.
    02-05-12 07:10 AM
    This is normal.

Only texts and other calls come in while you're on the phone.
    WRONG! The OP has a 9900 device which is capable of concurrent voice and data. You can't do this on your 9930 because CDMA network technology is NOT capable.

OP - the problem you reported is likely to be a network issue, maybe something like congestion and no free 3G working slots on your local tower, so it downgrades to 2G where slots are available.
    02-05-12 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD